SASS Wire Forum

How Do you Sleep at Night!

MMJ#89586

Howdy,

Well I've worked nights for 12 years and now I have changed to day shift. But I can't get to sleep. I thought I would check and see if anyone has any tips on sleeping at night; I guess my brain has forgot how to do this.

Read the Bible.

I was told along time ago that on sleepness nights, its the Devil trying to mess with ya and ifn ya start to read the Bible, he'll leave ya alone and sleep will come.

Anyhow, just a suggestion.

..........Widder

Hmm, there are a few methods.

-I dont know what type of shape your in, but exercise is always good. I'm fit enough and like to run sometime in the day to get that little extra energy to sluff off of me. Even a walk around the block is pretty decent followed by a good shower.

-Also sometimes I read, not a magazine, but an actual book. A book that I have no "investment" in, just something I can pop open every once and awhile and not care whether or not I ever finish.

-Try and keep your body used to a routine, and try to "prepare" for sleep at least a few hours before. i.e don't go from welding in the garage to head on the pillow in 20 minutes. Your body and your mind just won't be ready to sleep. I'm sure you already know all this.

There area few things however I totally like to avoid that tend to keep me up no matter what. TV, Computer, Sitting up, being hungry, being stressed - so I try to avoid all those things by the end of a solid day.

Now comes the unhealthy ways - night caps and night snacks :unsure:

I spent 16 years on midnights it took awhile to get used to falling asleep and sleeping through the night. It will take sometime to reverse your clock. See if you can get the Dr. to prescribe Lunesta it is very mild and will just take away some of the edgeness.

My sleep patterns have been really messed up for about the last year because I had been in so much pain with my back I could never get comfortable. I have a little over a week before I go back to work post operatively. My sleep patterns have really been screwy I have been up till 1-2a and then sleep till 10a. I need to get back into the swing of getting up at 5a....

Doc

Read the Bible.

I was told along time ago that on sleepness nights, its the Devil trying to mess with ya and ifn ya start to read the Bible, he'll leave ya alone and sleep will come.

Anyhow, just a suggestion.

..........Widder

I think that works best when you read the book of "Numbers".

I worked for 16 years from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am, then switched to the day part, 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, it takes awhile to get used to this routine, but you will, hang in there, your body will adjust over time

All for now JD Trampas

Generally it will take 2-6 weeks for your body to adjust to a schedule change like that. Be patient. Try to avoid anything stimulating before bed like TV, food, etc. The body is a creature of habit and it just needs to get used to the new habit of sleeping at night.

Howdy,

Well I've worked nights for 12 years and now I have changed to day shift. But I can't get to sleep. I thought I would check and see if anyone has any tips on sleeping at night; I guess my brain has forgot how to do this.

I've had bouts of insomnia all of my life. I've learned not to lose any sleep over it.

Seriously, if I can't sleep, rather than allow THAT to annoy me, I get back up and do something. When I feel sleepy, I go back to bed. Generally the next night I will sleep better. It is only when you allow yourself to get into a track that says "I HAVE TO SLEEP", and try to force the issue are ya in real trouble. If I don't get to sleep until 5AM, get up at 7 and get on with the day, maybe I catnap at lunch and just don't sweat it.

The flip side is I have learned you actually can get by on very little sleep for several days if need be, before the body calls for the recoupment. I can drive 1500 miles after being up all day before starting out, only catnapping once or twice on the way, sleep a few hours, then do the return 1500 mile run...... When I get where I am reallly tired (after maybe 3 or 4 days like that), I'll go to bed at 6PM and sleep 14 hours. Usually it'll be weeks before I have a bout with no sleep after that. The body will adjust YOU, forget trying to adjust it.

Hey Pard,

Glad you are working days now. Being awake when the sun shines is good.

I've found what NSlops says about books works. A really good book will keep you awake. A so-so book is a sure trip to sleep. As MM says, YMMV.

Hubby uses Ambien. Pain keeps him awake.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Thanks everybody! Sounds like the big thing is, it will just take time. My big problem is I think I'm tryin to force myself a sleep and by the way it sounds that don't work. I'm just going to go with the flo and see what happens.

Thanks Again!

MMJ

I have often gone through bouts of insomnia, even more so when my back is hurting. Lunesta works, but I try not to take it if I can help it. I use one of those things that covers your eyes, turn on a movie I've seen a hunderd times like Tall T, and I'm usually asleep in about 20 minutes. Also cat naps in the afternoon will help you feel rested. Good Luck

Jefro

Ambien

Madd Mike mentioned on variable that always works in my house........

S E X !

yep, everytime I'm in the mooooood, the Bunk House Boss goes to sleep. Works everytime for her!

..........Widder

Try a couple of melatonin pills 30 minutes before you lay down and keep away from anything "stimulating" during that time.

Except maybe sex...

I used to have insomnia pretty bad until I saw a news report that caffiene can affect some people for over 12 hours. As an experiment I quit drinking sweet tea at lunch, and my sleeping problems went away almost instantly. Now, I refrain from caffiene except in the morning.

Be real careful with Ambien. While it will knock ya out, you may suffer some weird, even dangerous side effects (folks have been known to get up, even drive their car, and not remember, essentially sleep walking/sleep driving, etc). I'd consider it a total last resort.

+1 to what Chief Rick suggests with the melatonin. It's the same stuff your brain makes, and basically tells itself "it's dark - time for sleep". You can find it in the vitamin aisle at any good drugstore. I work swing shifts - sometimes days, sometimes afternoons, sometimes overnights and it's been a godsend in helping me get to sleep.

I'd stay away from any of the big pharma sleeping pills. The side effects range from weird dreams, sleepwalking, to suicidal thoughts. To hell with all that.

And there's the old standby - a glass of warm milk.

For my 25 year career (now out on disability) I always worked shift work. The one shift I feared from the start was dayshift due to me having to wake to an alarm. Mids and Swings I just woke when I woke with NO alarm clock, pretty neat. But towards the end of the 25 (the last seven years) my wife was having real difficulty with our three kids giving her no end of trouble so I had to make the move to dayshift to get the wayward kids into the house at a decent hour in the evening. At first the Doc gave me some Lunesta which I only used for about a month until I got my schedule turned around. I got so set to the new schedule in that months time that I practically did not need an alarm since I was waking at 04:30 naturally every morning. I'm sure you have flipped back and forth between Mids and Swings. It's really no different going to Days, just a learning curve that you have to get used to and then you will be all set. I ended up going to bed at 20:00 hours so that wasn't too bad. Now when I had to work a 12 I would have to go to bed at 16:00 hours and that was plain odd to say the least that and waking up around midnight. Admittingly I never really ever got used to that one. Smithy.

I wear headphones to bed and set the iPod sleep timer to 30 minutes. Usually listen to a history or astronomy podcast. Out like a light in five minutes.

If that doesn't work, a couple of Benadryls and two fingers of Port help too. ;^)'

Careful with the Ambien, it's starting to get a rep for causing sleep walking, sleep driving, shopping, jogging, and in one case: nekid car washing....

MMJ when at the PD we looked at studies on shift work and the effect changing shifts had on folks, with the idea of going from rotating to long term set shifts, 1 year duration. There is a lot of information about going forward or backwards on the clock, how long you need to be off before you are fully up to speed etc. Pretty much it all came down to setting routine and following it, eating right, staying away from caffiene, and exercise like has been posted here plus the fact that your body will adjust over a period of time and reset your internal clock. After about 7 years on midnights I went to a three nights, two 4-12s and that was a killer for awhile but the transition to straight days shifts was worse for about 2 weeks. My own experience was NOT to go home after an 8-4 and take a nap no matter how tired I was. Staying up and active until about an hour before "bed time" taking a hot shower then hitting the rack worked.

Right now I have a feeling going back to midnights would be near impossible for me as my body alarm clock goes off at 0530 regardless.

Good luck and do your best to gut it out.

Why would anyone want to sleep at night? Don't you know you get your throat cut sleeping at night? Think Marlon Brando in Missouri Breaks. "know what woke you up?..."

I have always been a night owl. I remember as a kid lying in bed for hours listening to KOMA while everyone else was snoring.

In the Nam, Charlie was afraid to come out except at night, so of course I stayed up all night with Ma Deuce to welcome him. Let the other boys sleep.

I have worked midnights almost my entire LE career. I work 11 to 7 and usually stay up til noon then try to sleep til 8P. Only thing is I never really sleep right or good. My bladder wakes me up at least 5 or 6 times.

Then today I couldn't sleep so I got up early and here I am perusing the ole Wire.

Sleeping is over-rated, but I sure wish I could do more of it and do it better.

Sometimes it never changes much. About 6 yrs ago, I worked 2 full time jobs, got up at 2:30 5 days a week. Still wake around 2 almost every morning, up between 4 & 5 now. Don't very often have a good nights sleep, but naps are GOOD!!!!

Howdy,

What you do is sleep on the job, then prowl all night. That will soon get you squared away.

One thing fer dang sure, dunt listen to that idiot Bill Maher before you "try" to go to sleep!!!!!!! what a goofballl!!!!! :lol:

Cheyenne :lol:

Archived