SASS Wire Forum

How Do you Sleep at Night!

MMJ#89586

When I was a lot younger I used to be a pro boxer. As I got older I had a hard time sleeping. The doctor told me to count sheep, but every time I got to nine I got up!!! :lol::lol:

Get into a routine and go to bed at a decent hour. Sleep will come. I take 2 advil once in a while.

It took me about 3 weeks.

Read a psychology textbook....I read for maybe 10 or 15 seconds before I'm asleep.

But seriously:

You need time to readjust your diurnal cycle. As others here have stated, it may take months to fully readjust.

Melatonin is a pineal hormone produced in the brain that regulates sleep; normally it peaks during low light (e.g. dark). Melatonin is available as a dietary supplement which can promote sleep; it is safe but some manufacturers make high concentration forms of the supplement. Lower doses are usually as effective. You need to take it for several weeks.

Blue wavelengths of light inhibit melatonin secretion in the brain so use of blue blocking glasses (wavelengths under 530 nm) several hours before dark will help increase endogenous (your own) melatonin.

This concludes the lecture...there will be a quiz unless you're sleeping.

DD

Read the Bible.

I was told along time ago that on sleepness nights, its the Devil trying to mess with ya and ifn ya start to read the Bible, he'll leave ya alone and sleep will come.

Anyhow, just a suggestion.

..........Widder

Prayer works too. Start prayin and keep prayin, next thing ya don't know, yer asleep. I had trouble with that concept at first. I told my pastor that I felt guilty fallin asleep in the middle of prayin. His answer was, "What other activity do you think God would rather you be doing when you fall asleep?" Haven't felt guilty since.

As for the physical side of things, like has already been mentioned, stay away from caffeine, some folks have to totally eliminate it. Don't eat prior to going to bed, in my case, I try to eat dinner at least 4 hours prior to bed time. Small amounts of alcohol is okay for me, but if I drink much, I'll go to sleep but I won't sleep soundly. I also have a Rx for Ambien CR. Only use it occasionally, maybe once or twice a month. Hope ya find something that helps ya. Good luck!

Prayer works too. Start prayin and keep prayin, next thing ya don't know, yer asleep. I had trouble with that concept at first. I told my pastor that I felt guilty fallin asleep in the middle of prayin. His answer was, "What other activity do you think God would rather you be doing when you fall asleep?" Haven't felt guilty since.

As for the physical side of things, like has already been mentioned, stay away from caffeine, some folks have to totally eliminate it. Don't eat prior to going to bed, in my case, I try to eat dinner at least 4 hours prior to bed time. Small amounts of alcohol is okay for me, but if I drink much, I'll go to sleep but I won't sleep soundly. I also have a Rx for Ambien CR. Only use it occasionally, maybe once or twice a month. Hope ya find something that helps ya. Good luck!

I didn't know you were capable of drinking small amounts of alcohol?

Archived