SASS Wire Forum

How many Clubs do you belong to and support?

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

How many Clubs do you belong to? How do you balance your support between clubs in your area?

Another thread got me wondering if people on the Wire generally belonged to only one SASS club. After trying to explain how the shooters in my area belong to multiple clubs all at the same time, and how they all subsequently try to participate and support all of the various clubs, I realized that some of the people responding to my post acted as though they never heard of such a thing and only belong to just one club.

For me, these days I pretty much limit my support to mostly one or two clubs near me. Two hours from my home there are several Cowboy Action Shooting Clubs. There is the High Sierra Drifters (Rail Road Flat, CA), The Outlaws (Ione, CA), the California Rangers (Ione, CA), Murieta Posse (Ione, CA), Hangtown Vigilance Committee (Placerville, CA), the River City Regulators (Davis, CA), Two Rivers Posse (Manteca, CA), Mother Lode Shootist Society (Jamestown, CA).

I wish I could say that I have the time and resources to shoot at all of them, but I don't. Heck, between health problems and family committments, I can barely show up to shoot at the clubs that I really enjoy.

So I wondered about how it is where you're at. Do you have many clubs to chose from? Are SASS clubs close to you? If you only have a hand full of clubs in the entire State like say in Alabama or Nevada, do you just go with the club nearest to you or do you first check it out to see the way they set up their targets and design their stage scenarios?

Are your options limited in your area?

:wacko:

When you live in SE OK, you're not close to anything. The closest club to me is Badlands Bar 3, only about 40 miles, but due to shift work, I don't get to go there very often.

Heck, this whole year the only shoot I've been to is EOT.

I hope to make Badlands Bar 3 in December, but ya never know. My weekends are finally rolling around to shoot with them for a few months.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Im a member of 2 clubs- the close one 45 min drive am an officer

the second on 1 1/2 hours away i go to to relax and have fun!!! :wacko:

there are 8 clubs near -up to 2 1/2 hour drive shoot at them all when i can!

Badlands - 3

I am retired ( have a part time job)and have a home in centeral Texas 262 miles from Bar-3 .Stared shooting there Jan.2005 untill 2008 only missed one match a year .2009 missed 4 week end shoots 2010 missed 4 or 5 week end shoots .Hope not to miss any in 2011.

I try to get off from my part time job at least one week end a mo.My wife is from East Texas she enjoys visiting and I enjoy shooting at the Bar-3.In 2005 we bought a small house in Clarksville 15 min. from Bar-3, we now have two homes one in centeral Texas and one in east Texas.

In east Texas we have a place to hunt and fish and the Bar-3 so we try to take off week to 10 days a Mo. just to go to east Texas.

I have shot in some local matches and enjoy them very much there are no bad SASS clubs in centeral Texas or any where else that I have heard of .If and when I do not have a part time job well try to shoot every week end .I enjoy practicing ,I enjoy shooting SASS,I enjoy being with the people who shoot SASS.

I am so blessed I am in good health,have a good wife,live in TEXAS and belong to SASS

:P:wacko::o

Wish I had some with in 40 miles. it is 75 to one I go to and 129 to the other.

I am a regular member of 4 clubs and a fairly regular attendee of 2 others - all within 2 hours. I have a home club which is where my primary support efforts are focused.

Guest diablo slim shootist
Wish I had some with in 40 miles. it is 75 to one I go to and 129 to the other.

TEXAS IS A BIG STATE -ITS A LONG WAY TO ANY WHERE! :wacko:

Live in SW Colorado, pretty rural area. Our county has less than 25,000 people and there are 2 clubs here. I belong to both and also another one in our neighboring county. The 3 clubs are all within 60 miles of me and I shoot regularly in all 3. I am very fortunate to have a number of World Champions to shoot with and be amazed at each month :wacko: We have 3 totally different ranges that will give a shooter very different enviornments to deal with...great fun and great folks. :P

Hi Paniolo,

When hubby was still shooting and we lived in Sacramento, we belonged to two ranges (Yolo and Manteca) and three clubs (California Rangers, Two Rivers, River City Regulators). We shot four times in odd months (California Rangers, Two Rivers, River City Regulators, and Chabot or Murieta) and in even months we shot a fifth time at Richmond Rough Riders. We joined the closer of the clubs where it was more feasible to help out.

Travel times were:

RCR 25 minutes

Ione 40 minutes (Rangers and Murieta)

Manteca 55 minutes

Richmond 60 minutes

Chabot an hour and 45 minutes

Since we moved and hubby quit shooting, I only belong to The Outlaws and California Rangers in Ione. They are 45 minutes from me. The only club I shoot evey month is The Outlaws. I am an officer there and help with sign-up. I also send them and others who asked to be included in my mailing list emails about SASS rules, events, and anything relating to shooting that I think would interest them.

I occasionally shoot with the Hangtown Vigilence Committee (El Dorado), which is about 40 minutes. I haven't been to the California Rangers lately; but, I keep intending to go. The Outlaws and HVC are newer clubs or we might have shot them together too. We have a range on our property so I haven't joined any ranges. We now live an hour farther away from all the venues except Ione and El Dorado, which are about the same as they were before the move.

Hubby and I took our RV to several annual matches a year. They were: High Sierra, Plainfield Raid, Richmond Round Up, Chabot's Range War, 5 Dogs, Guns of the Timberlands, and Arroyo Cantua (all in CA). We also went to Western States (near Reno) twice and Stampede (near Las Vegas) once.

Since hubby quit shooting and we sold the RV, I've gone to way less annuals. However, I've been farther from home. I've been to the US Open (IL), EOT (NM), Oregon State (Klammath and Shedd), Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lilly (So. CA), Last Stand at Chimney Rock (So. CA) twice, Dry Gulch at Arroyo Cantua (Ione, CA), El Dorado (near Las Vegas).

I enjoy going to the Convention too. It's a nine hour drive.

I've met so many great folks from the Wire, Belle Alley, and Convention that I feel like I have friends all over the world.

Allie Mo

How many Clubs do you belong to?

NINE in OR & WA as an actual "member" (some as Life, a few annual, one honorary). Many clubs also consider anyone who shoots with them a 'member'.

How do you balance your support between clubs in your area?

I currently represent three clubs as Territorial Governor. I regularly attend their monthly matches, barring conflicts with other clubs' annuals.

Attend their annual events, as well as those at 3+ other clubs, in addition to the NW Regional (Rangemaster), Winter Range (Posse Leader), and End of Trail (Co-Rangemaster).

I've also shot at matches in ID, NV & CA on occasion.

There are another ½ dozen 'local' monthlies that I would like to check out (and a number of 'out of state' competitions), but there are only so many weekends per year

...and sometimes W**K interferes with my shooting schedule. :P

So I wondered about how it is where you're at. Do you have many clubs to chose from?

YES.

Are SASS clubs close to you?

YES...most within a few hours drive.

If you only have a hand full of clubs in the entire State like say in Alabama or Nevada, do you just go with the club nearest to you or

do you first check it out to see the way they set up their targets and design their stage scenarios?

The targets, stages (and scoring method) have nothing to do with where I choose to shoot. A friendly, fun & SAFE atmosphere are my primary considerations.

Not really.

I actually belong to one club that I pay dues to. The Wolverine Rangers. This is a statewide club consisting of most of the clubs in MI., and the one that puts on the MI State shoot. I try to semi-regularly shoot with the Rockford Regulators, in Rockford, MI., and the Mason County Marshals in Scottville, MI. Most years, I shoot almost as much with the Shady Creek Shootests over to Monmouth, IL., as I do any MI. club, and more or less, consider myself a member of that club. No dues, but anyone that shoots there is considered a member. In the winter, I try to shoot a few clubs in NC., as well.

About all I contribute to the clubs is comic relief when I shoot. :P:o:wacko:

Greeenriver

I'm a dues paying member of three clubs. The Wartrace Regulators club is my original club and I've been lucky enough to be chosen as a member of the board of directors for this organization. This was where I first shot in a S.A.S.S. match and I was hooked on the fun, the friendship and that beautiful range from the moment I put the first peice of lead down range. :PB):o The range is ninty miles from my home.

I belong to The Highland Regulators of Possum Trot, the friendliest club in the world and my family by choice, (theirs as well as mine) :wacko: . I am also priveleged to sit on the board of this fine club. This range and the adjoining cowboy town, (including a working saloon with upstairs rooms and cabins along main street) is a little over three and a half hours from home.

My third membership is with the North Alabama Regulators at Cavern Cove near Huntsville, AL. The first time I visited that club they put me up for the night and saw to it that I was made to feel at home. I had never been there before and knew virtually no one. I joined that club the next morning and they've made that decision one of the best of my shooting experience. ;) These fine folks are two and a half hours away.

Each one of these clubs has a reason that makes me return again and again, and to make me want to help and promote each one. There are other clubs in what I consider driving distance of home and if I had more money and time I would join them too. There are a couple of clubs that are close enough for me to visit that I haven't had the chance to attend as yet. I plan to remedy that situation sooner than later.

Good Lord willing, I'll join another club this spring. I've shot at this club on a number of occasions and participated in their anual shoot a time or two. Got several friends there and if they'll have me I aim to become a member.

Routinely shoot three "local" matches per month and we are members of all three clubs. They are all slightly less than an hour and a half away. For many years I shot four per month and was a member of four clubs, but when Sugah started shooting, we started going to a good number of out of state matches and our attendance at the "local" match almost two hours away has gone to almost zero. We shot in 12 states in 2009 and returned to many of those this year, but commitments with children primarily has kept us from returning to some matches that we thought were great.

Am only a member of one club. They let me shoot with them when I'm around. Shoot with as many others as my schedule allows, only found one not to my taste, but that wouldn't stop me from returning.

So I wondered about how it is where you're at.

Great if you don't mind shooting in the rain.

How many Clubs do you belong to?

None -- clubs around here don't have clubs dues or memberships per se. If you show up and shoot, you are technically a 'member'.

How do you balance your support between clubs in your area?

I TG at two clubs. At those clubs I do everything from match directing to bottle washing. Work parties, stage writing, match setup, range maintenance, score keeping etc. don't just happen. It takes people willing to help. I wish more folks pitched in, but that is the nature of the game. I cannot help out at the other three clubs, but I do try to support them by shooting at their matches when possible.

Do you have many clubs to chose from?

Yes.

Are SASS clubs close to you?

I'm fortunate to have five clubs within an hour drive of me (two within 15 minutes). If I wanted to drive two hours, I'd have 11 clubs to choose from.

If you only have a hand full of clubs in the entire State like say in Alabama or Nevada, do you just go with the club nearest to you or do you first check it out to see the way they set up their targets and design their stage scenarios?

That is not the case here, but I have driven farther to other clubs to check them out. Fortunately, the close clubs are fun places to shoot.

No. I don't like it that two of the nearby clubs use rank scoring, but I still shoot at them as time allows. I believe all local clubs should try to support one another. I hate to see bad blood between clubs, and unfortunately this happens.

I shoot regularly at two clubs, one is hosted at a local private gun club which has a ten YEAR waiting list for membership, thankfully anyone can shoot the cowboy matches. The other doesn't have any membership dues that I know of.

So I guess I'm not a "member" anywhere, but that don't stop me from showing up and having a great time.

Lots of other great clubs in the area (within two hour drive) but I either haven't yet been to them, or don't find time to get there often.

Grizz

Here in Ohio we're pretty doggone lucky. I live in Northeast Ohio and I go to 4 clubs regularly that are within a 2 hour drive. (some less) If I venture out further like within 3-4 hours I've got 3-4 more clubs to go to. The only problem here in Ohio is the shoots pretty much stop Dec-Mar. ( some clubs shoot in the winter but it can be really brutal) :unsure:

I used to be a member of 4 clubs but have now cut back to 2. I couldn't really contribute enough to feel OK about being a member at that many clubs.

Between the 2 clubs, I make props, write stages, RO, set up, tear down and do whatever else needs to get done along the way. There's half a dozen clubs close enough to drive to (2 hours) for a monthly match.

The two clubs are very different. One is a large, highly organized, well-oiled, git 'er done machine with a fabulous facility, lots of great props and tons of very nice targets.

The other is a very small, close knit group on a crummy little range that has a reputation for being the best place to send a new shooter as they get lots more personal attention and help getting started. That is where I shot my first match.

I'm trying to figure out why Nevada was considered limited in clubs to shoot at.

I can shoot every weekend if I choose too.

1st weekend (both days) - El Dorado Cowboys - Boulder City Nevada - 20 miles from my house

2nd weekend - Saturday - Dixie Deperados - St. George Utah - 115 miles from my house

.................. - Sunday - Nevada Rangers - North Las Vegas Nevada - 25 miles from my house

.................. - Sunday - Lone Wolf Shooters - Pahrump Nevada - 45 miles from my house

3rd weekend - Sunday - Desert Desperados - Las Vegas Nevada - 10 miles from my house

4th weekend - Saturday - Dixie Desperados - St. George Utah

................. - Sunday - Silver City Shooting Society - Indian Springs Nevada - 45 miles from my house

And 5th Sundays somebody always steps up and offers a get together.

Every club has differing personalities and match philosophy.

I attend certain ones much more often than others because of that.

Freeda and I are members and officers of 1 club. It is just over an hours drive away. In the same town, is another club, which we also shoot at. We are not members though.

The only other option we have is 2 hours away in Kansas. We are not members of that one either. Fortunately, each one is on a separate weekend.

We do support all of them though, and promote each one as needed.

DM

Here in North Fl. or Fl in general we have a multitude of clubs in easy distance. I belong to and am on the Posse of the Cowford Regulators out of Jacksonville and also belong the the Ghosttown Gunsllingers out of St. Aug. It's 20 min drive to Cowford and 25 min to St. Aug. The Valdosta Ga club is 2 hrs away and I try to make them a couple times a year. The new club in Camdon, Ga is only an hour away so they are easy. Ft. White is 1½ hrs. I shoot with the Pistelaro's out of Eustis Fl a few times a year and they are 2½ hrs. Of course an overnight stay would give me all of middle and south Fl and up into the Carolinas. I'll be reitred soon and my wife already has plans to make annuals all over the southeast. WW

I live in Northeast Florida (Middleburg) and I shoot at three clubs.

Ft. White - 68 miles away, 1:15 travel time. This is my favorite match.

Lake County Pistoleros in Taveras, 123 miles away, 2:15 travel time. I also shoot their WB match on the 5th weekend when I can.

T&R in Howey-in-the-Hills, 127 miles , 2:15 travel time. I'll shoot their annual and try to make 3-5 matches a year.

Ft. White is the match I always try to make, especially their annual in October.

There are lots of options locally and another very good club about 110 miles from Albuquerque. I am an officer in RGR and write stages for that club frequently. I also help (match director etc) as opportunity and time allows with other clubs.

1st Saturday - Magdelana Trail Drivers (110 miles)

1st Sunday - Buffalo Range Riders (BRR) at Founders Ranch (20 miles) generally does not shoot once snow falls

2nd Wednesday - Rio Grande Renegades (RGR) Diamonds in the Rough practice match at Hayes City (city range) (<20 miles)

2nd Saturday - BRR Wild Bunch (new match, just starting) at Founders Ranch (20 miles)

2nd Sunday - High Desert Drifters at Founders Ranch (20 miles) generally does not shoot once snow falls

3rd Saturday - Rio Grande Renegades (RGR) at Hayes City (city range) (<20 miles)

- Magdelana Trail Drivers (110 miles)

4th Sunday - Rio Grande Renegades (RGR) at Hayes City (city range) (<20 miles)

Any 5th Saturday - Rio Grande Renegades (RGR) at Hayes City (city range) (<20 miles)

Any 5th Sunday - Rio Grande Renegades (RGR) at Hayes City (city range) (<20 miles)

There are many other club with annunal matches too that I try to attend

Roswell (Chisum Cowboys) is about 3 hours away

Las Cruces (Picacho Posse) is about 3.5 hours away

Ruidoso (Lincoln County Regulators) is about 3 hours away

There are also another half dozen or so clubs that are within easy driving distance (~3.5 hours) that I have not yet made it to. So many good clubs, so little time ....

:unsure:

Zero. I dun't even know if I am current with my Sass dues. How do you check online?

I have not even shot a match since I walked away sweating and panting from "Hell on the Prairie" after shooting two stages.

Through a kind twist of fate I currently have 3 well paying jobs. (ESL teacher, Adult ESL teacher, and Driving Instructor) I don't even know if I am coming or going. Gonna cut hay while the Sun Shines.

Gonna join Oklahoma Shortgrass Rangers on the December shoot (if they don't still have me on behavioral probation. It is not easy being me.)

Shameless

Wow! It's great to see so many folks as active as you all are! ;)

It makes me think that I ought to get more active myself.

Maybe once the weather gets better, I'll see about having fun again with Miss Allie Mo over at Ione with the Outlaws. I need to renew my membership with the Outlaws. They are a great group of folks and of course Miss Allie Mo is always a kick in the butt to be around!

:unsure:

I have two clubs nearby; The Chorro Valley Regulators. They shoot on Sundays, are close by and easy to get to, but makes it tough for a church goer. And the Pozo River Vigalance Committee. A little farther out, not so easy to get to, but they do shot on Saturdays. I've shot at both but am currently only a member of the close by Chorro Valley Regulators. Smithy.

I'm trying to figure out why Nevada was considered limited in clubs to shoot at.

I can shoot every weekend if I choose too.

1st weekend (both days) - El Dorado Cowboys - Boulder City Nevada - 20 miles from my house

2nd weekend - Saturday - Dixie Deperados - St. George Utah - 115 miles from my house

.................. - Sunday - Nevada Rangers - North Las Vegas Nevada - 25 miles from my house

.................. - Sunday - Lone Wolf Shooters - Pahrump Nevada - 45 miles from my house

3rd weekend - Sunday - Desert Desperados - Las Vegas Nevada - 10 miles from my house

4th weekend - Saturday - Dixie Desperados - St. George Utah

................. - Sunday - Silver City Shooting Society - Indian Springs Nevada - 45 miles from my house

And 5th Sundays somebody always steps up and offers a get together.

Every club has differing personalities and match philosophy.

I attend certain ones much more often than others because of that.

Creeker,

I thought you folks in Nevada are limited to a few near Reno and a couple near Vegas area? I see that you go over to Utah and shoot there too?

I didn't know you were now able to cross State Lines again? Good for you! :wacko::wacko:

I'm a member of one and try to support at least 3 others in my area. Most of the time, I will attend 3 matches a month if possible.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I live in the Chattanooga, TN area and belong to two clubs. The Tennesse Mountain Mauraders club is 18 miles away and they shoot on the third Saturday. The Ocoee Rnagers are in Cleveland and it is a 40 mile drive. The OR s shoot the fourth Saturday. There are two more clubs that I will try to get to next year; one in Wartrace 116 mile drive and the Oak Ridge club which is about 90 miles. Wartrace shoots on the first Saturday and ORSA shoots on the second Saturday. There is a club in North Alabama fairly close, but they shoot on Sunday and I am in Church.

Hoss Carpenter

Archived