SASS Wire Forum

Total Solar Eclipse, April 8

Northeast Ohio is in it's path as well. That's all they're talking about here on the news! There's supposed to be a huge influx of visitors and The Guardians baseball opener is the same day!:lol: I believe they're delaying the start of the game to 5:00 because the eclipse is supposed to be around 3:00

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

8FDA5FEA-3A52-40F0-A6D4-EE6D8B43899B.jpeg

My daughter and her husband are both retired and have more money than brains.  They have visited some exotic places Easter Island (aka Rapatui...however it's spelled.), Pitcairn Island, the lost cities in the Andes, and other like places.  They met while climbing El Capitan.  About two months ago the went to Norway to see the Northern lights and just told me that they are flying up to Newfoundland to see the eclipse.

Wouldn't surprise me to find them  on their way to Ankor Wat and Ankor Tom before long.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My daughter and her husband are both retired and have more money than brains.  They have visited some exotic places Easter Island (aka Rapatui...however it's spelled.), Pitcairn Island, the lost cities in the Andes, and other like places.  They met while climbing El Capitan.  About two months ago the went to Norway to see the Northern lights and just told me that they are flying up to Newfoundland to see the eclipse.

Wouldn't surprise me to find them  on their way to Ankor Wat and Ankor Tom before long.

I had a coworker whose hobby was filming solar eclipses. He’d even sign up for cruises in the Pacific where the ship would navigate to the path of the eclipse.

We are right in the path and trying to get ready for the influx. It's gonna be a mess.

It's an experience. Totality passed through the North Oregon coast a few years back and we were there. Very uncanny as the world literally falls dark like nighttime. It was worth it.

Doesn't last long. And you need to be in the actual totality path. Just outside it's only a bit of twilight feel.

• Like 1

I saw one about 30 years ago or so in Florida. Got dark(er) for a few minutes. Meh.

I can't believe the money some folks are spending on travel, etc. to see it but it's not my money.

I'd much rather watch a good meteor shower any time.

We will be in 99.7% totality where I live. I have eclipse viewing glasses but I'm not getting excited about it. It's April in NE Ohio......get real, it will be cloudy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

We will be in 99.7% totality where I live. I have eclipse viewing glasses but I'm not getting excited about it. It's April in NE Ohio......get real, it will be cloudy.

If you have some property, you could make enough allowing trailers and tents to buy some expensive new gear!  Check hotel prices.

• Haha 1

A week before the eclipse I am going to look at the weather forecasts along the path. Being that it’s April I wouldn’t surprised if the entire US transition of the eclipse is cloudy. 
If there’s a cloudless area predicted along the path that’s where we’ll be heading. 

My wife’s aunt and uncle have invited us to Erie PA to see the eclipse. If it’s predicted to be clear and sunny, that’s where we’ll be. 

Tomorrow I plan to make sun filters for my telescope, spotting scope and binoculars. Sometime this week I plan to test them on the sun. 
The filter sheets I bought:

https://a.co/d/8nvGLNd

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

A week before the eclipse I am going to look at the weather forecasts along the path. Being that it’s April I wouldn’t surprised if the entire US transition of the eclipse is cloudy. 
If there’s a cloudless area predicted along the path that’s where we’ll be heading. 

My wife’s aunt and uncle have invited us to Erie PA to see the eclipse. If it’s predicted to be clear and sunny, that’s where we’ll be. 

Tomorrow I plan to make sun filters for my telescope, spotting scope and binoculars. Sometime this week I plan to test them on the sun. 
The filter sheets I bought:

https://a.co/d/8nvGLNd

Don't fool around with improv for photography of an eclipse.  Be as careful as you are with guns.   Been as heavily into cameras as guns for most of my life.  If you can't see, you can't shoot.  Follow genuine experts!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rip Snorter said:

Don't fool around with improv for photography of an eclipse.  Be as careful as you are with guns.   Been as heavily into cameras as guns for most of my life.  If you can't see, you can't shoot.  Follow genuine experts!

Trust me. I know what I’m doing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I saw one about 30 years ago or so in Florida. Got dark(er) for a few minutes. Meh.

I can't believe the money some folks are spending on travel, etc. to see it but it's not my money.

Definitely worth a couple of motel rooms and a tank of gas....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Same here, I’m north of you one mile from the lake. Got my glasses so I guess we’ll see or not?:lol:

We are almost dead center of the path of totality. They are predicting 30,000+ additional people to be in the county  starting April 5th. County after county is putting out disaster declarations for that weekend due to the expected influx of people along the path of totality.

Every possible room and RV space for miles around has been sold out for months.  I suspect that rental cars are also in short supply. TX state parks announced that are requiring a pre-purchased pass for that weekend and they sold out in just a few hours.

Most schools have cancelled classes for the 8th. I suspect all will take the day off before then. Be impossible for busses to run that afternoon if we have the attendance they are predicting.

The local HAM clubs are already being asked for volunteers to man the, the County EOC, Hospital EOC, major intersections, Fair Grounds, and the city parks to assist first responders by providing real time information. 

Many organizations are passing out free eclipse glasses and they are for sale in many stores.

Cloud coverage is the real wildcard as historically we have about a 50/50 chance of it being cloudy.

• Like 4

Interesting to note that the path of the eclipse will travel across all 7 cities in the US named Nineveh.  
so who’s closet to any of those cities? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade Plowboy said:

Interesting to note that the path of the eclipse will travel across all 7 cities in the US named Nineveh.  

What do you mean by “all 7 cities in the U.S. named Nineveh”?

2 hours ago, Renegade Plowboy said:

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

What do you mean by “all 7 cities in the U.S. named Nineveh”?

I understand the sevenplace names but why is it interesting?  Just another coincidence.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I understand the sevenplace names but why is it interesting?  Just another coincidence.

Boy, am I a dope. The word “cities” threw me off. I thought someone out there was calling 7 major cities “Nineveh” for some biblical reason. 
Apparently there are 8 towns in the U.S. called Nineveh and only 2 will be in the path of this eclipse. 
I don’t buy these weird coincidences as being signs from God, though I do think they are signs that certain evangelical types need more money in their coffers. 
I grew up in an environment that…never mind. 

ENJOY THE ECLIPSE EVERYBODY! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This could be really fun in northern Vt, there’s a fair chance mud season will still be in full swing and us locals just love seeing $60k cars buried up to the tops of the tires in mud ( or deeper )

• Haha 4

What always tickles me, is that there is usually more than one buried up to the rockers!! 

• Like 1

I'm flying my Lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see this total eclipse............

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I'm flying my Lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see this total eclipse............

You're so vain...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Our daughter and her family in Arkansas live in the 100% path, but we will not be there.  Arkansas estimates 1.5 million visitors for the event, a 50% increase above the normal state population of 3 million.  Traffic on those snaky Ozarks highways is bad enough normally. I imagine the eclipse traffic in those hills will be frustrating, perhaps dangerous.  I will be content with viewing a partial eclipse at home, while relaxing in the safety of my recliner.  Good luck to those of you who choose to travel that day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Our daughter and her family in Arkansas live in the 100% path, but we will not be there.  Arkansas estimates 1.5 million visitors for the event, a 50% increase above the normal state population of 3 million.  Traffic on those snaky Ozarks highways is bad enough normally. I imagine the eclipse traffic in those hills will be frustrating, perhaps dangerous.  I will be content with viewing a partial eclipse at home, while relaxing in the safety of my recliner.  Good luck to those of you who choose to travel that day.

Sounds like the same scenario here in NE Ohio, weatherman put odds at %20-30% chance it’ll be cloudy according to past weather records of April 8. I got my eclipse glasses just in case.

I've only got to go north about 45 minutes to be on the edge of 100%. If it's clear, it might be worth the ride! Just to what the hub bub is about!

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've only got to go north about 45 minutes to be on the edge of 100%. If it's clear, it might be worth the ride! Just to what the hub bub is about!

Definitely worth it if you're that close. Get right into the center of it if you can. Doesn't last long but it's unique...

• Thanks 1

Fingers crossed on the weather, I have not decided if I will make a run to see it. I did get to the last one in the southeast, and it was amazing. Also the roosters, and the insects. Night fell in the middle of the day. But likely to be cloudy near me, statistically speaking.

Best odds for a clear view in early April is in Texas, will check forecasts nearer to me as the date approaches.

I went the day before to the last one. And got fuel for exit, had food and water, etc. If you go, be prepared for sold out fuel and other problems with this much traffic.

On exit last time, some semi got caught around a corner blocking the road (somewhere between there and home), phone maps found it and routed us around it. Added a couple hours but was home before the road was cleared.

Also there was some strange disorientation when exiting. We did not wait for the "end" of the eclipse, we left as most of the light seemed to be back.

The sudden onset of night does somehow affect us just like it does the roosters and insects.

All just thoughts for consideration... And also curious what an eclipse is like even if it is cloudy.

• Like 1