SASS Wire Forum

Canvas Shotgun Belt

Come On Christmas

Has anyone bought one of these?

Did you like it?  Yea or Nay I would appreciate your input.  Thanks

Come On Christmas

image.thumb.png.08a80500161f3f0a9df5d3adb72f4e38.png

I've never owned that particular brand, BUT..... I have owned and used 2 different belts with canvas loops.

The best canvas looped belt I owned was made by Doc Noper.  Fantastic quality and super durable.   I never could

wear it out and trust me, I tried.   It was also a Single Loop belt design like your picture.

My present belt is leather loops.  Actually, the loops are for double shells and I really like it, as I prefer to grab 2.

But in my opinion, if you want one of the fastest SG belts, check out the elastic loop belts.   They can be as fast as you want to run.

..........Widder

• Like 2

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the shells fit deep in the pockets. This isn’t good, as it makes them harder to pull quickly. If you go with this belt, you might want to put a filler in the bottom of the pockets so the shells ride higher. Makes them a lot easier to grab. I think this would be a good belt for hunting, but maybe not so good for our game. 

Just my two Pennie’s worth……

Sam Sackett 

• Like 4

Heck, I'd buy it at that price just to try it out.  That is, if I didn't already have two canvas belts.  Mine are both Texas Jacks (El Paso Saddlery) and the loops are tight enough that you can pull the shells out quite a bit and they will hold.  I usually load the loops in pairs with an empty loop between.  And I stitched one loop down the middle to make a reload loop for a .38.  They work fine but since I bought a used Doc Noper belt that's what I mostly use.  My only gripe about that is it loses some shells from movement.

I have that same exact belt.  I use it for field carry but not SASS.  I wore it for precisely one match (my second CAS match years ago) before seeking out something better.  

The shells do sit deep in the loops which are a little on the loose side so you won’t be able to set shells high for an easy grab without them either slipping out or back down into the loop.  Also, the belt is a synthetic material, more like tactical gear, with minimal leather.  

You would do better with a SG belt from one of the more reputable makers, or at least a decent slide. There are some great leather makers out there as mentioned above.   I currently wear a Murphy Custom Gun Leather rig; it’s great quality and I highly recommend their work. 

Edited by Palo Alto Kid
  • Thanks 2

I've had a Davis canvas belt with the canvas loops for over 30 years and I like it, but... the canvas stretches to point that they don't hold the shells up in a easy-to-pull position.  I have to push the shells up from the bottom of the loops so enough of the shell is above the loop to pull them.  Like Widder's, mine is single shell loops, I like my my all-slide better.  They've stretched also, but with a strip of leather a the bottom, the shells stay up, easier to grab.

no but i like it - my big problem is my small stature does not allow a double belt - yes i have a leather one i used to wear but i found the slide on my gunbelt worked far better with a lot more comfort , im all about comfort as i got older , lighter and leaner - only the essentials on the cart and on the body , 

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You only need 8 loops at most

Maybe where you shoot, but not everywhere. Many clubs that I have shot at in Florida regularly have a stage (or stages) with 6 shotgun and on rare occasion 8 shotgun. Only having 8 loops leaves no room for dropping shells or missing targets. Although I don't like the belt pictured, I like having the ability to put as many, or as few, shells as I think is needed to complete the stage and I always carry 5 extra than the needed amount. I like the canvas belts.

COC - Buy once, cry once...get a quality, well proven belt made by an experienced SASS shooter, maker and competitor. You won't regret it.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Maybe where you shoot, but not everywhere. Many clubs that I have shot at in Florida regularly have a stage (or stages) with 6 shotgun and on rare occasion 8 shotgun. Only having 8 loops leaves no room for dropping shells or missing targets. Although I don't like the belt pictured, I like having the ability to put as many, or as few, shells as I think is needed to complete the stage and I always carry 5 extra that the needed amount. I like the canvas belts.

COC - Buy once, cry once...get a quality, well proven belt made by an experienced SASS shooter, maker and competitor. You won't regret it.

Good point, I do carry 12 SG.

Sure wish we could start with a loaded SG.

YUP, I just lit the fuse..... :lol:

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Except for those times that I get busy helping others and forget to put more shells in my belt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Maybe where you shoot, but not everywhere. Many clubs that I have shot at in Florida regularly have a stage (or stages) with 6 shotgun and on rare occasion 8 shotgun. Only having 8 loops leaves no room for dropping shells or missing targets. Although I don't like the belt pictured, I like having the ability to put as many, or as few, shells as I think is needed to complete the stage and I always carry 5 extra than the needed amount. I like the canvas belts.

COC Reply - I asked on the wire about who made a double up belt or slide

Not one reply

3 hours ago, Come On Christmas said:

Not one reply

That might be because your post didn't actually ask about anything.  It just expected the reader to know what you were referring to.  Also, I'm not sure if people call what you are looking for a "double up belt".  That's not a phase I've ever heard before.

Some people wear two belts; their gun belt and a shotshell belt (or shotgun belt).

Others prefer an all in one belt that holds the holsters as well as loops for shot shells.  "All in one" is the phrase I've heard.

Then there is the option for a "slide", which is a piece with shotshell and/or cartridge loops that attaches (slides unto) your existing belt.

Any leather worker who makes gun belts will be able to make any of those options.

• Like 3

OP actually asked for opinions on them, not who made them.;)

On 2/27/2024 at 7:57 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not if I use it for Sporting Clays as well and practice my speed loading.  

One who is not Mr. KnowItAll

It’s cool if wanna unfriend me or mayhaps you learned something today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:57 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I respectfully disagree.  There isn’t a shotgun big enough or close enough that I can’t manage to miss.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Except for those times that I get busy helping others and forget to put more shells in my belt.

Me too. Yep; canvas loops, elastic loops or leather loops ........ya gotta fill 'em to make them work. 

1 hour ago, Fretless said:

That might be because your post didn't actually ask about anything.  It just expected the reader to know what you were referring to.  Also, I'm not sure if people call what you are looking for a "double up belt".  That's not a phase I've ever heard before.

Some people wear two belts; their gun belt and a shotshell belt (or shotgun belt).

Others prefer an all in one belt that holds the holsters as well as loops for shot shells.  "All in one" is the phrase I've heard.

Then there is the option for a "slide", which is a piece with shotshell and/or cartridge loops that attaches (slides unto) your existing belt.

Any leather worker who makes gun belts will be able to make any of those options.

Maybe I should call it a “pick two” or a “Doubles Loading” belt.  What bees the nomenclature?

“Pick two” reminds me of the Three Stooges eye poke skit.

The other thing I thought of is placement.  Seek the belt in the Merchants area or the buy sell feature the Wire has.

7 minutes ago, Come On Christmas said:

Maybe I should call it a “pick two” or a “Doubles Loading” belt.  What bees the nomenclature?

“Pick two” reminds me of the Three Stooges eye poke skit.

The other thing I thought of is placement.  Seek the belt in the Merchants area or the buy sell feature the Wire has.

I believe most people refer to the loops; as in a single, or double, Loop belt.  (Or in my case a combination of single loops and double loops that I think makes my grab 4 easier).  Only single and double are SASS legal.  Loops that hold more than 2 shotshells are not allowed.

Yes, posting a WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds section of this forum would be a good way to find something.  

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 8:15 PM, Come On Christmas said:

Has anyone bought one of these?

Did you like it?  Yea or Nay I would appreciate your input.  Thanks

Come On Christmas

image.thumb.png.08a80500161f3f0a9df5d3adb72f4e38.png

If this helps:  I haven't bought the shotgun belt, but I have bought Tourbon's take down canvas and wood shotgun case.  The quality is decent/good for the price point.  It's made in China which is why it is inexpensive and while I doubt the build quality of the case is as good as one made in the US, Italy or England, the case  doesn't cost the $800+ for the ones coming out of US, Italy or England,

As many have days, the shells sit too deep. I really like the elastic shell holders. Mine was made by Doc Noper. None better. 

I carry 10 shells. 90% stages only need 4. But, when I forget to reload belt I actually have enough for 2 stages! (It’s happened more than once) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Come On Christmas said:

Not one reply

I got mine long ago (1998?) from Classic Leather Works owned by SASS member Half Breed. He's from central Florida and still does work as far as I know and the work that he does is OUTSTANDING craftsmanship. I don't think he ships to OZ though.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I thought she retired? :huh:

Have a couple of her belts.

Fantastic work! ;)

Possible, I just did a Google search to help the OP and it came right up!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have one almost exactly like this if not the same one. I got it from Amazon as my first shotgun belt and still use it. I'm still pretty new to the sport though and will probably get one of the double-loop belts eventually but, for the price, it works. I load it up with two shells next to each other, a space then two more, down the line. then when I'm next up, I pull 4 up a little bit in the holder so they are easier to grab. It works for now.

• Thanks 1

Had a belt like that on years ago, stopped using it for the same reasons as mentioned above , got a Colt Faro shotgun belt and a Mernickel shotgun belt and never looked back.

Edited by Silver Creek Jack

Christmas,

here is a video I did a few years back.   The belt being used is a single loop, canvas by Doc Noper.

Which ever kind of belt you choose, it can be good for you if you practice a good technique that works for you.

Good luck.    

I have 3 of these videos if you decide to view them.   They are titled:  Widowmaker dry fire practice #1,  #2.  and  #3.

Hope you enjoy.

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/28/2024 at 4:36 AM, Cypress Sun said:

they make a 10 round slide - its what i use , most generally adequate for any stage ive shot , 

On 2/27/2024 at 5:24 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've never owned that particular brand, BUT..... I have owned and used 2 different belts with canvas loops.

The best canvas looped belt I owned was made by Doc Noper.  Fantastic quality and super durable.   I never could

wear it out and trust me, I tried.   It was also a Single Loop belt design like your picture.

My present belt is leather loops.  Actually, the loops are for double shells and I really like it, as I prefer to grab 2.

But in my opinion, if you want one of the fastest SG belts, check out the elastic loop belts.   They can be as fast as you want to run.

..........Widder

My friend bought one of those elastic loop SG belts and that thing is great! if I was going to get a new belt that's what it would be.  

• Like 1