SASS Wire Forum

Why a 75 member board

I got my new American Rifleman magazine today.  Voted and then got to wondering what was the necessity of a 75 member board.  What do these people do that it takes that many to make decisions? Anyone know?

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I think the NRA should be disbanded.

It’s not like they ever did anything for us anyway.

Right?

Edit:

Ha! I forgot an appropriate emoji. 

-_-

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Sad 1

Well when you are divvying up large sums of money a bigger group can more easily hide their individual share from those providing the funds.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Thanks 2

I don’t know where you’re getting 75 board members . I found this 

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/2022-nra-board-election-results/

I have been a Life Member of the NRA for years .

I bought all my Grandsons Life Membership to the NRA .

But I have to say .

With everything that has been done or Not done by the NRA in the past 10 years or more .

I have stopped funding the NRA .

I'm putting my resources into GOA

Gun Owners of America 

And Home Growen local Firearm advocate's .

So Saith The Rooster 

Screenshot_20240218_192125_Photos.jpg

• Like 3

I truly wondered if the NRA bashing would cease after Wayne LaPierre left. I kind of figured it wouldn’t. 

I will fund the NRA and I will support the NRA any way I can because if it wasn’t for the NRA  you all wouldn’t even be allowed to have old timey cowboy guns by this moment in history. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I truly wondered if the NRA bashing would cease after Wayne LaPierre left. I kind of figured it wouldn’t. 

I will fund the NRA and I will support the NRA any way I can because if it wasn’t for the NRA  you all wouldn’t even be allowed to have old timey cowboy guns by this moment in history. 

I’m a life member and extremely appreciative of what the organization has done for us in the past , but unfortunately until they can prove that they are spending our money wisely and have weeded out the corrupt actors , I will be giving my money to GOA and the Second Amendment foundation. I just see them as more bang for my buck at this time. As soon as I see them effectively fighting for our rights again I’ll consider donating again.

• Like 2

I’m also a life member, I got a deal when they were offering half price when Obama was running (I think) I still send them a few bucks occasionally and NRA-ILA too. I agree with Pat Riot, they do a lot for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Way back, let Mr. Peabody activate the wayback machine, I called NRA, I was ready to pay 750 for a life membership.

”There’s a special now, 125. Oh! Plus 125 more for endowment life, 125 more for patron, 125 more benefactor. 

I said sign me up. I got the whole kit and kaboodle for 600.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

got mine too - had not taken time to look at the ballot , but it seems the money you donate gets spread very thin , no wonder they always need more , 

They spend most of it to send you more mail begging for more money. An endless cycle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Slip Hammer Yates 8456 said:

I got my new American Rifleman magazine today.  Voted and then got to wondering what was the necessity of a 75 member board.  What do these people do that it takes that many to make decisions? Anyone know?

I haven't got my magazine yet but are you sure those 75 names are just eligible names to vote and you don't vote for more than 25 or so? I'll have to check when I get mine. Just curious because I can't find the actual number of board members. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I haven't got my magazine yet but are you sure those 75 names are just eligible names to vote and you don't vote for more than 25 or so? I'll have to check when I get mine. Just curious because I can't find the actual number of board members. 

From Wikipedia

The NRA is governed by a board of 76 elected directors, 75 of whom serve three-year terms and one who is elected to serve as a cross-over director. The directors choose a president and other officers from among the membership, as well as the executive director of the NRA General Operations and the executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA).[215] In 2015, 71 members were white and 65 were male. More came from Texas than any other state.[216] Only 7 percent of eligible members vote.[217] Most board nominations are vetted by an appointed nine-member Nominating Committee.[218][219] One member is George Kollitides of the Freedom Group.[218] The nomination committee has been called "kingmakers" by MSNBC and Jeff Knox says "the process is front-loaded to give incumbents and Nominating Committee candidates a significant advantage"

• Thanks 1

I became a Benefactor Member in college. I went on a payment plan and finished ln the Marine Corps. I have received one H of a lot more from the NRA than I paid.

Matches, Training, Instructor certification, help.for Scouts, other.youth legislative support, etc. have.made it a bargain. 

Years ago we took back the NRA from a wrong direction and we can do that again.

Overall, I am pleased and am ready to support the NRA in the years ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

From Wikipedia

The NRA is governed by a board of 76 elected directors, 75 of whom serve three-year terms and one who is elected to serve as a cross-over director. The directors choose a president and other officers from among the membership, as well as the executive director of the NRA General Operations and the executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA).[215] In 2015, 71 members were white and 65 were male. More came from Texas than any other state.[216] Only 7 percent of eligible members vote.[217] Most board nominations are vetted by an appointed nine-member Nominating Committee.[218][219] One member is George Kollitides of the Freedom Group.[218] The nomination committee has been called "kingmakers" by MSNBC and Jeff Knox says "the process is front-loaded to give incumbents and Nominating Committee candidates a significant advantage"

Well I somehow missed that! Thanks.

• Like 1

I worked for a multibillion dollar not for profit company.  It only needed nine board members to oversee the company.  Of course we had a battalion of lawyers, CPAs and actuaries keeping an eye on the board. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

They spend most of it to send you more mail begging for more money. An endless cycle.

i suspect your right , a lot of that going on these days - the TV commercial time is not cheap either , 

There was a time, because of the NRA that any encroachment on the 2nd Amendment would be a disaster for the politician. Because of one man, and yes it was outrageous what he did, the NRA has fallen and fallen right in the hands of the ant-gunners and the NRA has fallen in power with the help of those that are or were members. One man should not be responsible for the collapse of an organization that was and still is fighting for our rights. He's gone, and the NRA is still the voice of reason. Now is the time to stand behind and support our rights rather then continue dividing and division amongst us as gun owners because of one man. If we continue in the path, it will only make the anti gunners and politicians who want to disarm us, stronger. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

There was a time, because of the NRA that any encroachment on the 2nd Amendment would be a disaster for the politician. Because of one man, and yes it was outrageous what he did, the NRA has fallen and fallen right in the hands of the ant-gunners and the NRA has fallen in power with the help of those that are or were members. One man should not be responsible for the collapse of an organization that was and still is fighting for our rights. He's gone, and the NRA is still the voice of reason. Now is the time to stand behind and support our rights rather then continue dividing and division amongst us as gun owners because of one man. If we continue in the path, it will only make the anti gunners and politicians who want to disarm us, stronger. 

If it were just one man, I think that NRA members could put that behind them and the organization could become stronger. Unfortunately, it wasn't just one man, it was, at the very least, several men and they were just the ones charged with the crimes.

In my opinion, that was just the tip of the iceberg. There's no way that other people in positions of power (and still are) didn't know about LaPierre's/others improper use of funds for personal gains...no way. To me, that alone makes them complicit even if they didn't participate in the corruption.

These same people, the ones who looked the other way while this stuff was going on, are still in leadership positions in the NRA. For the NRA to truly regain it's stature as the guardian of the 2nd Amendment, these people need to be removed from power and it needs to happen quickly...months, not years. It's the only way to earn back the public and membership trust.

The NRA can, once again, become foremost leader in 2nd Amendment rights and I sincerely hope they do...but you can't just wipe the piss off of the toilet rim and declare the entire house cleaned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The NRA does cover the whole entire country so maybe 75 board members are necessary. Just sayin.........

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Slip Hammer Yates 8456 said:

To make the due payers feel like they have a voice.  The same reason the organization was run by the Executive vice-president instead of by the President.

I vote every year and have for the last 20 years or so. I NEVER vote for an incumbent director or one nominated by the a Director or the Nominating Committee. This year, I think I only voted for 9 Directors and my self as a write-in. The only way to get change is to elect new people!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

These same people, the ones who looked the other way while this stuff was going on, are still in leadership positions in the NRA. For the NRA to truly regain it's stature as the guardian of the 2nd Amendment, these people need to be removed from power and it needs to happen quickly...months, not years. It's the only way to earn back the public and membership trust.

The NRA can, once again, become foremost leader in 2nd Amendment rights and I sincerely hope they do...but you can't just wipe the piss off of the toilet rim and declare the entire house cleaned.

Exactly. It's the board that really failed; they ignored their responsibility to the organization and its members. 

NRA revenue fell 40% in the last couple of years because of the refusal of the membership to continue down the path. Yet LaPierre remained in charge throughout. What ordinary board of directors would keep an executive after that? What board would ignore the exec's filing a bankruptcy petition without board approval or even knowledge? Yet they did.

So a new board is needed and the NRA can move forward to strength again. A lot of goodwill and prestige has been lost and some hard thinking is required.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am a life member and still send a small donation monthly.  I like to think the NRA still has some value.  I do think the current board should resign.  I too did not vote for any incumbents or nominated by a committee.  I realize the NRA covers the whole country but don't think they need 75 people to represent the country.  I would like to see them get back to vigorously going after these anti-gun bills/laws and promote the shooting sports.  And not only in pro gun states but especially in states like Illinois controlled by the liberals.  Maybe it's too late.  I hope not.

• Like 2

What I would like to see soon would be an article in the next American Rifleman, or maybe the next after that, that has a full account of the facts; honest,  detailed, without embellishment, rationalizations, or spin; one which also might point the way forward. And which contains no plea for funds whatever.

Won't hold my breath. But something like that should happen soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What I would like to see soon would be an article in the next American Rifleman, or maybe the next after that, that has a full account of the facts; honest,  detailed, without embellishment, rationalizations, or spin; one which also might point the way forward. And which contains no plea for funds whatever.

m all for that , you hit it on the head , we wont see it and all we WILL see is what the media gets hold of , sad this is and has been our front line against the gun laws and restrictions , we need it back - tell them when they call , as well as your votes 

8 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Never gonna happen.:(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I agree but I tend to think they'll sweep this under the rug.

• Like 2