SASS Wire Forum

Breakfree CLP

One of the best, always in my kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I use it more for a wipe down rust/corrosion protection than a lubricant. Works great for that.

+1

My opinion (and worth exactly what you pay for it).

Anything that can "run off" (lightweight liquid oils, sprays, etc.) are not viable lubricants (unless being replenished or replaced regularly).

Heat and movement will quickly displace any liquid lubricant - we use oil in the crankcase of your car because it flows into tighter tolerances AND will be replaced by the oil pump as it is displaced (and is within a closed system to scavenge the displaced oil)

And yes, we use oils (heavy weight) on non replenishment systems (such as a rear end gear housing - but again only in a minimal loss closed system; which a firearm is not)

In a non replenished open system - (comparable to a fiream) lubrication has to cling and remain in place under high heat and/ or high pressure.

For that purpose; we use non liquid lubricant (grease) that has greater tolerance gap fill AND will cling - grease also has limited migration properties.

For rust prevention (on firearms) I use a wipe down of oil.

In low stress areas (my 73, revolver cylinder pins, etc.) - I use white lithium grease for lubrication.

In high stress areas (semi auto slide rails, DA revolver internals, etc.) - I use Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Here is link to a comprehensive test on cleaners and lubricants. It’s long but interesting.

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

I started using Hornady One Shot in 2014, the first time I went to EOT in New Mexico. At that time it was called cleaner and dry lube and I didn’t want anything that would attract all the fine dust. I have had really good luck with it and continue to use it.  I saw this test and another test later and it faired well in both of them.

Randy

• Like 3

As a lube - no.  Cleaner - pretty good stuff.

Like some others, I do not use liquid lubes on firearms.   Too easy to flow off, or penetrate into wood and soften it.  Mobil 1 syn grease or even better (clear) Battle Borne syn grease, which is thicker yet and runs fine on 1911, 97, single action cylinder base pins,  even M1 and M1A rifles. The Battle Borne is about all I use except a little Rem Oil for fire control parts inside of actions.

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Looking for opinions on Breakfree CLP liquid, not aerosol, as a firearm lubricant from folks who have used it on handguns, rifles and shotguns.

I have used it for many years and it works great.

TJB

Back many years ago, brother-in-law and I were shooting 1911s a lot. Used Breakfree to lube slides and such. We bought some industrial size bottle and split it.  My half is in a pint size bottle.  I haven't touched it in 50 years.  I don't like the smell.  I heard it can lift plating.  

Some of the go fast shooters were smearing a light coat on their bullets. Said it helped their over tuned race guns feed. 

Long Long time in the Military.  Use'd issued CLP as THE cleaner the whole time I served.  An excellent cleaner for Smokeless Powder guns.  Not necessarily a good lubricant.  Not at all useful for Black Powder and Subs.  For lube, I have become a fanatical champion for Mobile 1 grease, not slathered, and Mobil 1 motor oil.  Plays really really well with Black Power and Subs and Smokeless.  I also prefer an Oily rag for wipe down. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks for your replies.  I am not a "Holy Black" shooter, and I am not competent enough to shoot black powder, so opinions on smokeless powder firearms are what I am looking for.  

Don't care if it's cowboy guns or the latest semi auto, whiz bang, got to have it, 2000 round magazine semi auto firearm. 

That’s all I’ve been using for the last 10 yrs, Works great!

• Like 1

I love the stuff and really don't see much difference in the spray can or liquid other than maybe convenience.  However, as others have already mentioned, I do use other lubricants like a light grease and good old gun oil where the lube needs to be more effective.  Breakfree cleans and preserves quite well and does offer some lubrication, all in all a fine product!

• Like 1