SASS Wire Forum

Cop shoots own police car after an acorn hits it!

A prison guard at a hospital near me was recently charged for negligent discharge of firearm, despite all 6 of his shots hitting the prisoner. The problem was that 3 went through the prisoner and continued through the wall! While it didn't injure anyone, it easily could have. That was far better than shooting your own car wildly with a handcuffed prisoner in the back!!!

I am Pro Cop, but why the h*** isn't he being charged? Partner probably should have been as well!

"A Florida deputy absolutely LOST IT after he heard an acorn hit his police car. He screams that shots have been fired and even claims that he was shot as he drops to the ground and opens fire on his own vehicle…..which had a cuffed man in the back."

===============================================================================

https://readmorenews.com/video-officer-explodes-unloads-clip-after-acorn-hits-patrol-car/

• Sad 1

I can’t fault his woman partner too much.  She reacted to the information the “shot” Officer provided verbal and visibly. 

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Itchy Trigger did they say what bullets the prison guard was shooting?

No, I am good friends with the Captain from the OTHER prison shift and he was very mum about anything to do with the topic. I got far more information from people that worked at the Hospital in casual conversation. The Texas Rangers investigated, and he was indicted over a year ago. I haven't heard about it going to trial yet, curious to know the facts of the case. "Apparently", the shackled inmate (with many arrests) scuffled with the officer and then was shot in the back six times while trying to escape from the Hospital. Three of those shots "endangered" others at the hospital, 2 by hitting walls close to someone, 1 by hitting a wall next to an oxygen line. He is not being charged with shooting the prisoner, but endangerment to bystanders. He is being personally sued by the prisoner's family though. 

The Police SWAT snipers here uses commercial FMJ. I was surprised a sniper didn't want to handload for greater accuracy, but he said that there was a little lawyer that rode on top of each bullet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I can’t fault his woman partner too much.  She reacted to the information the “shot” Officer provided verbal and visibly. 

She should have not fired a round without knowing what she was shooting at.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

She should have not fired a round without knowing what she was shooting at.

The video I watched she asked the other cop WHERE and the reply was FROM THE CAR.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The video I watched she asked the other cop WHERE and the reply was FROM THE CAR.

True, but spray and pray is not how it’s done. Big reason why cops need multiple 21 round magazines. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

True, but spray and pray is not how it’s done. Big reason why cops need multiple 21 round magazines. 

Suppressive fire.

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The video I watched, she asked where the shots were coming from AFTER she had emptied her gun. He yells SHOTS FIRED, she does a mag dump and then she asks where they're at.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:35 PM, Itchy Trigger said:

No, I am good friends with the Captain from the OTHER prison shift and he was very mum about anything to do with the topic. I got far more information from people that worked at the Hospital in casual conversation. The Texas Rangers investigated, and he was indicted over a year ago. I haven't heard about it going to trial yet, curious to know the facts of the case. "Apparently", the shackled inmate (with many arrests) scuffled with the officer and then was shot in the back six times while trying to escape from the Hospital. Three of those shots "endangered" others at the hospital, 2 by hitting walls close to someone, 1 by hitting a wall next to an oxygen line. He is not being charged with shooting the prisoner, but endangerment to bystanders. He is being personally sued by the prisoner's family though. 

The Police SWAT snipers here uses commercial FMJ. I was surprised a sniper didn't want to handload for greater accuracy, but he said that there was a little lawyer that rode on top of each bullet!

FMJ's for urban policing? That's begging for over-penetration and an incident IMHO.

We used hollow points, on the street etc. as mandated by the Province, after some low-information senior officers were confused about the Hague Convention and the rules of war between countries and police/civilian use. 

Cheaper FMJ was used only on the range for practice for reasons of economy and to ensure the officers knew how to handle full up loads.

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

i thought one of the rules was knowing your target and what was beyond , but then i guess the car was the target 

A 9 mm will easily penetrate more than a dozen sheets of of sheet rock. Hollow point defensive rounds are going to fail to expand when passing through even multiple layers of sheet rock.  

When you look at the testing, over penetration is a serious concern will all handgun ammo. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

A 9 mm will easily penetrate more than a dozen sheets of of sheet rock. Hollow point defensive rounds are going to fail to expand when passing through even multiple layers of sheet rock.  

When you look at the testing, over penetration is a serious concern will all handgun ammo. 

In this context, any penetration is overpenetration.

• Like 1

We had a case where an officer shot a female and the bullet passed through the female suspect and also killed her mother who was standing behind her.  The mother was part of the domestic dispute but not the intended target.  The officer was using department issued Hornady Critical Defense 9mm.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, watab kid said:

i thought one of the rules was knowing your target and what was beyond , but then i guess the car was the target 

When I was on the force it was drilled into you. Know you background area you are going to be shooting at. We also were told we needed to be able to account for every bullet we fired. 

TM

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

When I was on the force it was drilled into you. Know you background area you are going to be shooting at. We also were told we needed to be able to account for every bullet we fired. 

TM

and thats what the officers here have told me , that looked like a complete meltdown to me , 

i get why it might happen , we had a random shooting downtown over the weekend here that no one seems to have gotten hit in , but there was one in the suberb of the twin cities this past weekend that killed two officers and a fireman giving aid to one of the wounded officers - im not sure how many were wounded - just heard confirmed the two that were dead and the fireman dead 

• Sad 3

In other news two Mesquite TX police officers fired 19 rounds at a student holed up in a room with a gun.  Apparently all 19 rounds missed and the student was only hit by shrapnel. The student never fired a shot.

To quote the department spokesperson "Mesquite officers use deadly force to stop a threat of death or serious bodily harm, and do not fire warning shots or shoot to injure or disarm."

Police Fired 19 Rounds at Armed Texas Student Inside School

Mesquite Police confirm officers fired 19 shots at 16-year-old armed student

Can't wait to see the body camera video.

• Sad 2

I've seen the video, and there is a lot going on that people are not talking about.  I'm always very hesitant to render judgment without knowing all the facts, but here is what I can say.  While I cannot find anything that would justify the shooting, I can tell you why he PROBABLY wasn't criminally charged.  That deputy has every classic indicator of unaddressed PTSD.  His mind went into "fight, flight, or freeze" mode and reacted accordingly.  It's a good thing for him and for the public that this happened, because he has resigned from the profession and didn't kill anyone.  That said, he might have been able to address his PTSD and been an effective cop.  That's for his doctor to decide.

One researcher I know claims that 70% of cops have PTSD, most of which is unaddressed.  When he told me that, I asked him, "Do you know what they call the other 30%, doctor?"

"What's that?" he replied.

"Rookies," I told him.

I think the vast majority of the public thinks law enforcement is sitting around and occasionally handing a speeding ticket to a soccer mom.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Throughout my career, I averaged three times PER DAY that I had to draw my gun.  It was nonstop, with 911 calls stacked up and no cops available to be dispatched.  I remember one shift where I handled two dead people and a DUI related serious crash that changed someone's life forever.  ONE SHIFT.  I had another one where I handled a murder, an armed robbery, and a shooting...again, ONE SHIFT.  Child sex abuse cases still haunt my nightmares, and I've been out of law enforcement for 7 years.  My PTSD has been addressed, but I'm still medicated to sleep.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I've seen the video, and there is a lot going on that people are not talking about.  I'm always very hesitant to render judgment without knowing all the facts, but here is what I can say.  While I cannot find anything that would justify the shooting, I can tell you why he PROBABLY wasn't criminally charged.  That deputy has every classic indicator of unaddressed PTSD.  His mind went into "fight, flight, or freeze" mode and reacted accordingly.  It's a good thing for him and for the public that this happened, because he has resigned from the profession and didn't kill anyone.  That said, he might have been able to address his PTSD and been an effective cop.  That's for his doctor to decide.

One researcher I know claims that 70% of cops have PTSD, most of which is unaddressed.  When he told me that, I asked him, "Do you know what they call the other 30%, doctor?"

"What's that?" he replied.

"Rookies," I told him.

I think the vast majority of the public thinks law enforcement is sitting around and occasionally handing a speeding ticket to a soccer mom.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Throughout my career, I averaged three times PER DAY that I had to draw my gun.  It was nonstop, with 911 calls stacked up and no cops available to be dispatched.  I remember one shift where I handled two dead people and a DUI related serious crash that changed someone's life forever.  ONE SHIFT.  I had another one where I handled a murder, an armed robbery, and a shooting...again, ONE SHIFT.  Child sex abuse cases still haunt my nightmares, and I've been out of law enforcement for 7 years.  My PTSD has been addressed, but I'm still medicated to sleep.

Thank you for your public service Cyrus.

I spent 35 years in Law Enforcement handling everything imaginable.  Half my career was in Criminal Investigations so I got called to all kinds of crap.   I'm retired now and I'm kinda worried that it doesn't bother me more than it does.  I saw a lot of officers fail to make it to retirement, for one reason or another.  I lost a few friends along the way too.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:46 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

image.png.9164ab367374a29237de3115e2325b0b.png

Do you know how hard it is to clean ginger ale from a laptop computer?!?? :angry::angry::lol::lol:

• Haha 3