SASS Wire Forum

And while we are on the subject (sort of) I wish people could recite the Pledge of Allegiance properly.

I pledge allegiance

to the flag

of the United States

of America

and to the republic

for which it stands

one nation

under God

indivisable

with liberty

and justice for all.

The words are right but the tempo is wrong and is very annoying.   It was broken down in short bursts to teach children the Pledge and most of them never did it any other way.  No one, or very few people, talk that way.  How about doing it this way, like my parents taught us:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.

This will express feeling and sincerety and stop being just a sing-song memorized children's chant.

And I swear that one of these times when I see a man not removing his hat when a flag goes by, during the playing or singing of National Anthem, or during the expression of the Pledge of Allegiance I'm going to slap the hat right off his head.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 7

So you want the pledge recited to your satisfaction and then wish to attack others who don't remove their head cover?

Not real big on that whole "justice and liberty for all" part, are you?

I detest people that claim they are so pro freedom and then demand conformity from others to what they believe in.

Liberty and freedom mean "for all" - not just for the liberties and freedoms you agree with.

That pledge, that flag gives protection to the person that chooses to not remove their hat.

You don't know why that person chooses to kneel or not remove their hat - and you have ZERO right to enforce your beliefs upon them.

You can claim its disrespectful - or its their duty or it should be out of sheer gratitude that they get to live in this country.

But there is no such clause or demand in our Constitution and you have no right to request it.

If it bothers you - you can look away.

If it bothers you - you can engage with them and ask why?

Maybe you educate them OR maybe you become educated that not everybody has experienced the same America.

Blind allegiance to country is jingoism and just as dangerous as any enemy influence. 

My country; right or wrong.

Love it or leave it.

These are remnants of anti communist rhetoric and propaganda (same as the insertion of "under God" into the pledge).

A true lover of their country does not defensively throw up arguments to support the status quo - but actually believes the words of the Pledge, of the Declaration of independence, of the Constitution.  Not just the cadence.

And when our country fails to live up to these lofty precepts - we should never gloss over our failures.  We should hold them high in the light and demand better. Demand that our citizens and our leaders work even harder to demonstrate the ideals that this country is supposed to represent to all.

You demand your right to free speech but are offended when others exercise theirs.

I think the rhythm of the pledge is a minor issue when folks refuse to take heed of the words.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I pledge allegiance

to the flag

of the United States

of America

and to the republic

for which it stands

one nation

under God

with liberty

and justice for all.

The words are right but the tempo is wrong and is very annoying.   It was broken down in short bursts to teach children the Pledge and most of them never did it any other way.  No one, or very few people, talk that way.  How about doing it this way, like my parents taught us:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.

This will express feeling and sincerety and stop being just a sing-song memorized children's chant.

And I swear that one of these times when I see a man not removing his hat when a flag goes by, during the playing or singing of National Anthem, or during the expression of the Pledge of Allegiance I'm going to slap the hat right off his head.

what happened to "indivisible"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It's called a Freudian slip.

The absolutists (on both sides) want nothing more than a divided country; red states and blue states.

It's part of the modern landscape that eschews compromise and frank discussion and is predicated on the idea that one sides views are perfect and unquestionable and anyone with differing views is a demonic plague.

31 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

So you want the pledge recited to your satisfaction and then wish to attack others who don't remove their head cover?

I detest people that claim they are so pro freedom and then demand conformity from others to what they believe in.

Liberty and freedom mean "for all" - not just for the liberties and freedoms you agree with.

That pledge, that flag gives protection to the person that chooses to not remove their hat.

You don't know why that person chooses to kneel or not remove their hat - and you have ZERO right to enforce your beliefs upon them.

You can claim its disrespectful - or its their duty or it should be out of sheer gratitude that they get to live in this country.

But there is no such clause or demand in our Constitution and you have no right to request it.

Maybe you educate them OR maybe you become educated that not everybody has experienced the same America.

Blind allegiance to country is jingoism and just as dangerous as any enemy influence. 

Love it or leave it.

These are remnants of anti communist rhetoric and propaganda (same as the insertion of "under God" into the pledge).

A true lover of their country does not defensively throw up arguments to support the status quo - but actually believes the words of the Pledge, of the Declaration of independence, of the Constitution.  Not just the cadence.

And when our country fails to live up to these lofty precepts - we should never gloss over our failures.  We should hold them high in the light and demand better. Demand that our citizens and our leaders work even harder to demonstrate the ideals that this country is supposed to represent to all.

You demand your right to free speech but are offended when others exercise theirs.

I think the rhythm of the pledge is a minor issue when folks refuse to take heed of the words.

Where the.

Heck did you get all.

That He?

Wants it.

Said so the phrasing.

Makes sense and.

The fl.

Ag and Pledge treated wi.

Th.

The same re.

Pect demanded.

For pride

Flags but you.

Seem to project your.

Own hostilities to

Wards free exercise of

Expression on

To him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Where the.

Heck did you get all.

That He?

Wants it.

Said so the phrasing.

Makes sense and.

The fl.

Ag and Pledge treated wi.

Th.

The same re.

Pect demanded.

For pride

Flags but you.

Seem to project your.

Own hostilities to

Wards free exercise of

Expression on

To him.

If his opinion of the pledge and its cadence were the sum total of his comment - I might have pointed out that the cadence exists to better allow groups to recite the pledge together and in unison. 

Or I might have simply passed the thread by.

But when someone threatens violence against anothers peaceful action - they are going beyond freedom of expression.

And I am going to point out the hypocrisy of complaining about the cadence of words when the meaning and intent of those words is being completely ignored.

I don't care if he (or you) are offended - there is no right to be free from offense.

And when someone takes offense at truth - that's a pretty good sign you are on the wrong side of the argument.

• Like 1

Red Skelton said it the best and still holds true today. Though that 2 states have been added since he gave this and many forget that its we the people that decide who should be elected and the greatest power we have as voters has been mis used or not used by not voting.

Edited by Marshal Dan Troop 70448
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

If it's being recited still it's good enough for me, whatever the cadence.

Probably be deemed hate speech by some school district soon enough...

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Sort of like #44 telling his followers to bring a gun, right?

Or was that obvious hyperbole OK?

Ignorance is ignorance.

Someone using anothers ignorant behavior as justification for their own is juvenile.

"It's not my fault - He started it"

"Tommys parents let him stay out till 2am - I should get to too"

"Jennys mom buys her beer and cigarettes - why aren't you cool?"

These are words and attitudes of children.

Adults weigh carefully their words and actions and do not over react to perceived insult or hurt feelings.

And they certainly don't offer justification for their own bad decisions because someone else did it too.

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Love it or leave it.

Do you even know why one removes their head covering as the flag goes by or when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?? 

We were saying the Pledge at a SASS monthly match, and I heard someone say right after "liberty and justice for all"  

"that deserve it".

Don't know why he said it, I don't say it, but have never been able to get those three words out of my head when saying the Pledge.

We say it at the beginning of every cowboy shoot! I’ve never paid any attention to the “cadence”. It just seems to all come together naturally!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Do you even know why one removes their head covering as the flag goes by or when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?? 

Symbolism.

Nothing more.

I place my hand over heart.

I remove my hat.

Because it is important to ME.

But I do not elevate symbolism over substance.

"You" (in the royal sense - not you specifically) cannot hold that symbolism up as an example of decency without adhering to the principles those symbols are supposedly representing.

Free Speech is not just for speech "you" (again - royal you) agree with.

It is protection for speech that may be distasteful or offensive.

Rights are not enumerated for those in positions of power - those in power are not being oppressed or downtrodden.

Rights exist to protect those who are in the minority from being silenced simply because their opinions or views are at odds with those in power.

And they exist as endowed by our CREATOR - they are not granted by a flag, a piece of parchment or a symbol.

I contend that any system (or adherent to that system) that is threatened by anothers contrary belief or the PEACEFUL demonstration of that contrary belief has significant issues.

Our nation is not a cult and it does not require lockstep agreement - it simply states that we respect the precepts of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It states that ALL men are created equal.

It states that we have the freedom to express our beliefs, worship (or not) as we please, be secure in our homes and affects.

It does not elevate any group, belief or individual above any other.

If you attempt to impose; to elevate YOUR beliefs upon another - your claimed respect and protection of a symbol is meaningless as YOU have rendered the foundation of that symbol meaningless.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Love it or leave it.

Quite well stated.

14 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Love it or leave it.

i dont have a sqable with most of what you said - or what the OP said either as it has always seemed a bit childish when recited in that cadence , HOWEVER -

"....These are remnants of anti communist rhetoric and propaganda (same as the insertion of "under God" into the pledge)....." i take issue with this as we , as a nation , are not and should not ever be embracers of communism , it is what is being forced down our throats these days and using our "freedoms" to do it , im against it and you nor anyone else will ever convince me otherwise nor shame me into accepting it , i have an open mind - i heard everything else you said and had no issue with thinking on your reasoning and accepting most of it , 

communism - NO , ill never accept that any more than our forefathers accepted imperialism , thats where the line gets drawn , the sword comes out and blood gets let , everything else you said made sense to me and altho i agreed with the OP i also agreed with you ................but dont suggest communism should be accepted here ever , thats the opposite of freedom , free speech , and everything american 

came back to add - i dont care of head cover but not sure why thats needed to be said unless you can explain it .....some things are done for respect , and im certain the cultural things you 'might' site are related to that , if your bald and your heads cold .......being respectful is not a bad thing - most culture outside of ours demand it , 

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 1

I asked my Navy daughter about protocol when multiple flags pass by in parade.
For example, a Shrine parade has multiple flags.

She told me the hand-over-heart is for the first flag that passes by.

Unlike salutes... when we visited Annapolis, my son-in-law had to return every salute given outdoors.
He joked about getting indoors, quick.

The Pledge is an integral part of our Masonic lodge proceedings.
The nights when I am Master, I am proud to lead it.

23 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Love it or leave it.

I'M NOT DEMANDING A DAMNED THING!  I'm stating an opinion.  I have a right to do that and you have a right to your opinion, too, no matter how stupid I think it is.  And I will point out that YOU are the one demanding something from any one in this conversation, from "our citizens and leaders", so maybe I am expected to agree with you and your high and mighty comments.

I didn't post this to start a fight but if that's what you want.....! 

I don't try to palm muself off as an authority.  That seems to be your intent.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

At my first Cowboy shoot in proper dress, I forgot to take off my hat for the prayer and pledge (my apologies).

Since then, I have taken it off. Nobody said anything to me then, it only happened because I just do not usually wear a hat.

If I were to see someone else not remove their's, I can't see saying something to them as my first action... I just would strive to be a good role model.

• Like 1

@watab kid

I never once embraced communism nor suggested its implementation or acceptance.

But knowing the origins of an action, a word, of a phrase, of a pledge is important; to understand "why" this symbolism is important.

Prior to the late 1930's the pledge was said with arm raised - hand outstretched; in a move that would be co opted as the Nazi salute.  We changed to hand over heart.

We added "under God" to the pledge as we battled "godless commies".

To ME - this reinforces that symbolism is just that; symbolism that may be changed or modified due to circumstance - but the symbol is not the precept and the change or modification of the symbol does not damage the idea.

Part of why I am not offended (at least not in the same way as many) at the singing of the "Black National Anthem" - I am saddened by any division this may sow; but I am also intelligent enough to understand that for many in the black community, a division already exists.  I hold out hope that "maybe" alternate symbolism will encourage them to understand and embrace our same foundations.

I love my country - I love the principles upon which we were founded and I am much more disappointed when we fail to live up to our promises and potential than I will ever be at failing a rote acknowledgement of a symbol.

I sincerely apologize if I was misunderstood.

• Like 1

@Forty Rod SASS 3935

I do not wish a fight.

I have no significant conflict with you about the cadence of the pledge.

I disagree that it is "childish" - the cadence exists so it may be STATED (not said) in unison; with each broken component being a declaration unto itself.

The Red Skelton rendition actually does a fine job of breaking down this concept.

This cadence and group unison is symbolic as well.

I do have challenges with the "knock their hat off" rhetoric.

Another persons PEACEABLE expression is never justification to physically impose your will.

The flag, the anthem, the pledge have ZERO meaning without the concepts and protections of rights that they symbolize.

Ignore those concepts in the "defense" of those symbols and you render those symbols meaningless.

People on this forum (and many others) were aghast that folks were being screamed at and threatened, being denied service because they were wearing red MAGA hats.

"How dare they deny my free speech?"

and then would immediately turn around and advocate for removing a Pride flag.

Freedoms are freedoms; some are ugly and some will be offensive - but we cannot be advocates or supporters of freedom by denying others theirs.

I will share a story from my childhood that may clarify my stance on "symbols" - I grew up in a Pentecostal family; Sunday was a day spent in a tent with stiff collared clean clothes, hair Brylcreem combed slick and a standing threat not to misbehave, get dirty or embarass the family.

And I listened to sermons about compassion and truth and Heaven and Hell.

It was "important" that we were there and to make sure others knew we were there - that we were properly humble and appropriately dressed.

And then we would come home and my grandmother would gossip, insult and denigrate every word the preacher said - bad mouth every child (that wasn't hers) in attendance - take stock of everyones dress, hat and car.

At a very young age - I began to question why it was so important to be there, to dress up and listen to words that folks claimed were so important when we weren't abiding by their meaning.  Why the "symbols" of church going were so important; but yet the precepts behind them were being ignored.

I have carried some of that suspicion and observation about symbols becoming more important than the foundation ever since - in religion, in civic groups and in patriotism.

I am sorry IF I read more into your statement than simple frustration at disrespect.

If was not my intention to attempt to impose or make demands upon you or your opinion.

I apologize.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 9:03 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Congress passed a law about 15 years ago that allows veterans to hand salute in civvies.  I can't imagine having to remove one's hat is required in such a scenario, especially in light of the history behind the salute.

https://news.va.gov/press-room/new-law-authorizes-veterans-salutes-during-national-anthem/

https://www.legion.org/flag/questions-answers/91119/can-members-armed-forces-and-veterans-who-are-present-not-uniform

https://www.military.com/flag-day/rules-for-saluting-us-flag.html

On 2/13/2024 at 11:03 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Back in the late 70's, there was a Clearwater movie theater that played the National Anthem while showing an American flag waving in the breeze on the screen before every movie. I got kicked out of the movie theater once for starting a fight with a pinko bastard that wouldn't stand up for it. I asked him (no so nicely) to stand up for the Anthem, he said f*** you. He stood up after I slapped him in the back of the head and turned around with his fists clenched so I gave him a punch in the jaw and that was the end of the fight. The usher told me that I should leave before pinko called the cops, I did...but not before the manager gave me a couple of free passes for future movies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Back in the late 70's, there was a Clearwater movie theater that played the National Anthem while showing an American flag waving in the breeze on the screen before every movie. I got kicked out of the movie theater once for starting a fight with a pinko bastard that wouldn't stand up for it. I asked him (no so nicely) to stand up for the Anthem, he said f*** you. He stood up after I slapped him in the back of the head and turned around with his fists clenched so I gave him a punch in the jaw and that was the end of the fight. The usher told me that I should leave before pinko called the cops, I did...but not before the manager gave me a couple of free passes for future movies. 

Excellent story! Love it!

On 2/14/2024 at 12:29 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

@watab kid

I never once embraced communism nor suggested its implementation or acceptance.

But knowing the origins of an action, a word, of a phrase, of a pledge is important; to understand "why" this symbolism is important.

Prior to the late 1930's the pledge was said with arm raised - hand outstretched; in a move that would be co opted as the Nazi salute.  We changed to hand over heart.

We added "under God" to the pledge as we battled "godless commies".

To ME - this reinforces that symbolism is just that; symbolism that may be changed or modified due to circumstance - but the symbol is not the precept and the change or modification of the symbol does not damage the idea.

Part of why I am not offended (at least not in the same way as many) at the singing of the "Black National Anthem" - I am saddened by any division this may sow; but I am also intelligent enough to understand that for many in the black community, a division already exists.  I hold out hope that "maybe" alternate symbolism will encourage them to understand and embrace our same foundations.

I love my country - I love the principles upon which we were founded and I am much more disappointed when we fail to live up to our promises and potential than I will ever be at failing a rote acknowledgement of a symbol.

I sincerely apologize if I was misunderstood.

npo problem , i just have a lot of issues with the commies among us , im off my soapbox new 

On 2/13/2024 at 9:59 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Truthfully, I was in high school before I realized it was "indivisible" and not "in the window sill".

I found out when an attractive young girl standing beside me broke out laughing in the middle of the Pledge.  (True story)

• Haha 4

Reading through this thread it strikes me that one person, through many contortions and convolutions, and much word salad, is advocating for no customs, no traditions, no respect for society as a whole, just anarchy and confusion, with every person doing whatever whim strikes at the moment.