SASS Wire Forum

Retiring my alias and number

Rip Snorter

Have the renewal bill on my desk but for various reasons I will never shoot another match and $69 a year is a bit expensive.  I would like to continue some support of the organization.  Would like to continue to visit & use the web site, but do not need the magazine.  How about a flat fee for SASS Retired status, keeping alias and number and use of the web site?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

You’ll always have your number and you don’t need to be a SASS member at all to use the web site(except for posting in the classifieds). Dout anyone could take your established alias here either.

Hate to see it but understand, enjoy yourself and visit with us here often!

• Like 3

Stay with us here on the wire Rip.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Like 4

If you don't utilize anything but news, you should be able to remain in SASS for a nominal fee.

I am a Life Member and shoot as an El Rey gun fighter but understand your position. I enjoy the camaraderie 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

You don't need to do anything, as far as I know. Just keep posting as always. Nothing will change.

Red is correct. I haven't been a paying member for years, and I'm still here. And it's my understanding that unless you TELL the SASS office different, (change Alias or maybe die), they never reissue an Alias. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Red is correct. I haven't been a paying member for years, and I'm still here. And it's my understanding that unless you TELL the SASS office different, (change Alias or maybe die), they never reissue an Alias. 

Or the number.

As stated above, SASS membership is only required on this site to start a buy or sell thread in the classifieds.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  Point is, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable one time fee or say, $25 or $30 a year to support the organization.  It would be nice to still buy or sell online, but I have too much stuff already.

You'll keep your Alias and number, if you were to use the classifieds; doubt anyone's calling the office to see if your dues is up to date.:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Thanks for the replies.  Point is, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable one time fee or say, $25 or $30 a year to support the organization.  It would be nice to still buy or sell online, but I have too much stuff already.

You can still buy anything in the Classifieds, just can't sell without a current, up to date membership. 

My understanding is that your SASS number is yours for life and is never recycled. I don't think it's the same with your alias however. 

You can still post on any of the available SASS Forums member or not. There are many regulars here and the other Forums that are not members with some never being members. Don't let not being a member stop you from posting. Your views, posts and opinions are valued by all participants...members or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think about it as a donation to help the SASS scholarship. While I still shoot I won’t be traveling to any state or regional shoots including my own state of Ohio shoot. I just do local clubs. I thought about not renewing but I look at it as another pro gun group that I will continue to support. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

... just can't sell without a current, up to date membership.

As I read the rules, a non-member can respond to a WTB post. This in theory does open a can of worms for spammers, but there is a huge gap between a new forum (non-SASS) member and a retired (formerly) paying member.

And we as a group do police for and build awareness to watch for scammers.

I certainly responded to WTS posts before I was a member, but could not start a WTB thread.

Maybe I am wrong, but the restriction seems to be on starting threads.

Getting back to the start of this thread, sorry to hear you ( @Rip Snorter ) will not be shooting any more. But if you want to still contribute to the sport I am sure there are ways to provide prizes for shoots or other ways to contribute besides paying annual dues.

Hopefully other members can provide specific ideas for doing so.

I have been retired sence 2017 .

My motorcycle crash in 2016 pretty much ended my standing and shooting all day .

I just can't fiscally do it .

But I keep renewing my membership for the support of SASS .

And remember if you decide to sell off any of your stuff .

You must be a paying member to list anything for sale on the wire .

It's like 6 dollars a month to keep your membership. 

I'm not going anywhere. 

I will just keep my membership. 

So Saith The Rooster. 

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

As I read the rules, a non-member can respond to a WTB post. This in theory does open a can of worms for spammers, but there is a huge gap between a new forum (non-SASS) member and a retired (formerly) paying member.

And we as a group do police for and build awareness to watch for scammers.

I certainly responded to WTS posts before I was a member, but could not start a WTB thread.

Maybe I am wrong, but the restriction seems to be on starting threads.

That's the way I read it also. By offers, I take that to mean items for sale...not offers to buy.

I also just noticed that their is spelled wrong in the rules as the quote below is just a copy and paste from the rules.

Offers on the Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else), in good standing, and must include his/her SASS Number. Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted.

14 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That's the way I read it also. By offers, I take that to mean items for sale...not offers to buy.

I also just noticed that their is spelled wrong in the rules as the quote below is just a copy and paste from the rules.

Offers on the Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else), in good standing, and must include his/her SASS Number. Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted.

As I read it, a non-member (of SASS) may not start a WTS or a WTB thread. SASS membership is required to start any thread in the Classifieds.

A non-member (of SASS) may respond to either type of thread, buy or sell; but watch out for scammers from that new member with only 1 or 0 posts..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dropped my membership a few months ago. If SASS had a way to donate for Wire upkeep or whatever I would definitely pay for the use of the Saloon. 
I ended my membership back in 2006 then came back in 2016. My Alias and number were the same, so yes, your alias snd number are yours, unless of course SASS decides differently at some point.

You can, as a non member, post on the Classifieds if you are giving something away for free and no money or anything to trade is changing hands. You can also post to buy, just not sell or trade. I asked about this to @PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L and what i have written I pretty much what he told me. 

6 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Have the renewal bill on my desk but for various reasons I will never shoot another match and $69 a year is a bit expensive…

Yea I thought of dropping the expense too.  Then Obama made me mad so went Life instead.  Also gave me the excuse to attend my first Land Run.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

…My understanding is that your SASS number is yours for life and is never recycled. I don't think it's the same with your alias however….

That’s my understanding too.  The Original Lumpy Gritz could tell a story about his lost of his alias. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you drop out your SASS number stays the same but someone can take your alias. It happened to a pard of mine.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You’ll always have your number and you don’t need to be a SASS member at all to use the web site(except for posting in the classifieds). Dout anyone could take your established alias here either.

Hate to see it but understand, enjoy yourself and visit with us here often!

After your membership expires, your alias can be taken.

Trust me on this.... ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

After your membership expires, your alias can be taken.

Trust me on this.... ;)

No doubt, that’s not what I meant. I meant I can’t see them making him change his username here on this site. 

45 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No doubt, that’s not what I meant. I meant I can’t see them making him change his username here on this site. 

If your user name is your alias, it will happen.

It happened to me a few years back, when I was 'Lumpy Grits'.

• Thanks 2

im a life member - did that after a decade of yearly renewal and before i retired thinking that both this and the NRA [did that the same time] were thinkings i would continue to believe in , i have no regrets of my SASS LIFE membership , we shall see on the NRA but so far i have none , just want things fixed there , . 

i would assume that we keep our number for life ....cant see the point in them reissuing those but the alias.....well no one wants mine but i think some of yours might be desired , including lumpy gritz , by someone new , i do agree with the thought they would not change your user name here , , im not sure why the retirement has occured but i would encourage any participation one might engage in , most of us would miss those we are used to seeing and i think we all would say join us whenever - even if at the campfire 

IMO, $69 is the price of two pizzas and a pitcher of beer.

I can understand the considerable expense of reloading supplies, or factory ammunition.
I can also understand the cost of fuel to make a 30+ mile drive, each way, to a range.
Then, pay the $$ range fees to shoot.

But $69 per year, I can't understand balking at that.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I can understand the considerable expense of reloading supplies, or factory ammunition.
I can also understand the cost of fuel to make a 30+ mile drive, each way, to a range.

I don't see a cost / value relationship in paying for something I will never use again.  The closest match would be a 150 mile plus round trip.  I can shoot as much as I care to on my own land.  At any rate, my thought was to support to some modest lesser degree.  

• Like 1

I support organizations that I believe in.

This includes food closets, where I will never get merchandise.
Shrine Hospital where my family will never be a patient.
Salvation Army, where I will never be an unwed mother.
VCDL in Virginia, where I will never be a resident.

$69 per year IS a lesser degree.
As noted above, the cost of a couple pizzas and pitcher of beer.

I can also understand if you simply don't want to be arsed with keeping a SASS membership.
We dropped HBO, ShowTime, and Comcast cable for the same reasons.

I fully agree with your 150 mile round trip.
I simply would not shoot ANYWHERE that I had to make that long of a drive.
For me, 30 miles / 45 minutes each way is a PITA I don't enjoy, and why I am not a frequent SASS shooter after my cardiac bypass surgery got the green light.

I let my membership in Sac Valley Shooting Center lapse for the above reason.
Also because they raised the dues to force me into being a "voting member" and required range service time.
And last, because the general manager is a complete and total asshole.

I have a membership at an indoor range that is closer, but $25 per month.
I shoot every week with friends then we shoot the bull at lunch afterwards.

Edited by bgavin

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

For me it wasn’t the money. It was how SASS changed, especially how it had gone gamey (there’s a pun in there somewhere).

I no longer enjoyed shooting CAS. 
It’s like years ago when I enjoyed golf. Then one day I realized i no longer enjoyed it. It had become a chore, so I quit. I was more stressed at the end of the game than at the start, so off i went. 

• Like 1

I can understand that.
At my age, I am very aware of my failing short term memory (maybe they will make me President).

And the stress that comes from trying to remember sweep instructions for the first time.

Shooting weekly with my lodge buddies is no-stress at all.
This range allows any firearm up to, not including, 50 BMG which are now illegal in CA anyway.

I take my shotguns, 30-06, 223, 243, and all my various handguns and plink to my heart's desire.
No stress.

• Like 2

I renewed my membership for various reasons. I like having the ability to sell items in the Classifieds. I also like supporting a 2nd A related organization that was a catalyst for creating SASS. The introduction into SASS provided me an opportunity to meet a ton of great people that have the same values as I do, some of whom I'm still friends with and gave me with a different path than the one I was on, especially with family. 

For everyone, there comes a time that they have to shave their expenses. That time has come to me...yet for some reason, I couldn't cut SASS loose yet. That'll probably change next year as the price for being above ground continues to rise but I'll say..." It's been a good ride, I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also view SASS as  another pro gun group and for that reason I’ll continue to support them.

• Like 2

My Cowboy Fast Draw membership. Number is 36 and is mine forever

That's true of your SASS number.

I enjoy traveling to SASS matches despite the mileage. I just take.it slow!!!

My.only concern is what my category will be when I turn 90. If SASS follows through. Will I go from El Rey to L'Empreuer?

My choice for the name of my category at 100 is "Survivor". I haven't a clue what to call 95.

• Haha 2