SASS Wire Forum

Aftermarket Tool Batteries

I like Dewalt power tools - particularly the cordless models.  And I have a few.  Now, my son, Sassparilla Kid, has a LOT of 'em... drills, drivers, saws, whatever, and he uses 'em.  

But the batteries have gotten to be danged expensive - and I cringe at the thought of spending a hundred bucks on a 20 volt drill battery.  That said, I see aftermarket batteries on Amazon for much less.  The Kid's a purist - he scoffs at the idea, but being an old pensioner, I tend to be a tad more budget concious.   :rolleyes:

So... any of y'all have any experience with these aftermarket units?  

2 genuine DEWALT batteries - $158.67

2 aftermarket replacements - $51.93

• Like 1

I read the reviews from 4 star down to the 1 star reviews. With only 68% 5 star reviews...I'd have to pass. Sgt is right, Amazon has good return policies for the most part.

The problems with tool batteries is that they will last for a month or two, then begin to have problems or just die entirely, by then the Amazon return policy is no longer valid.

I'd be inclined to grudgingly stick with the factory batteries.

No. Sorry.

I have a Dewalt 18V drill driver. I refuse to pay the prices asked for Dewalt brand batteries. 
Last year I bought 2 of these:

https://a.co/d/eta6ciU

They work great. No issues at all. 

3 years ago I bought this pair. They had to be modified to make them so they could be inserted and removed easily. These only last 1/2 as long and the Dewalt batteries. 
https://a.co/d/8JTBNjm

The yellow batteries are very good. The black ones sucked. The thing is they both have similar customer reviews and star ratings just like the ones you’re interested in. 

My point is, it’s the luck of the draw with these Chi-Comm batteries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have given up on battery operated tools. But back when I use them I had nicad batteries. Lithium was just coming in when I quit.

And when my tool batteries quit I went down to this battery shop in my local town, and they rebuilt them. With much better batteries than were originally in them. And I could get a $35 Makita battery rebuilt for 10 bucks. One that would hold a charge longer and would recharge longer.

When you buy a battery pack, you're paying $10 for the batteries and $30 for the plastic housing and $50 for the name. Just makes sense to me to have the plastic housing refilled and only pay $10 for the batteries.

But the shop I went to with only work on nicads. He said lithiums were too dangerous. Too touchy.

I don’t know if you have a Batteries Plus up there or not but I’ve taken battery packs to them and they’ve replaced the batteries and they work as good as the new factory replacements for about 1/2 the cost.

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I don’t know if you have a Batteries Plus up there or not but I’ve taken battery packs to them and they’ve replaced the batteries and they work as good as the new factory replacements for about 1/2 the cost.

Do they still do that? I went to one a couple of years ago and they said they didn’t do that any longer. That’s why I bought the first set of lame knock-off batteries. 

I switched to Makitas a few years ago when I discovered they don't obsolete battery designs every few years. I got sick of makers all of a sudden changing battery designs.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Do they still do that? I went to one a couple of years ago and they said they didn’t do that any longer. That’s why I bought the first set of lame knock-off batteries. 

I had a couple done about 10 months or so ago, not sure if they still do them now. 

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I had a couple done about 10 months or so ago, not sure if they still do them now. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You may be correct, PR, I just visited their website and I didn’t see anything about power tool battery rebuilds.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Hmmm…I wonder if the store I went to just didn’t want to bother. That was in 2020. Maybe Covid supply issues were to blame. 

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

You may be correct, PR, I just visited their website and I didn’t see anything about power tool battery rebuilds.

We must have been posting at the same time. :D

not those , but i did buy some of the older version 18v for my dewalt tools and they have worked out very well , they are almost four years old take and hold a charge and interface with my tools and charger perfectly , dont hesitate to go aftermarket - you can get two for the price of a dewalt and be able to work continuous with one on the tool the other on the charger - its what i do when im in the middle of a project these days , 

as to that newer flat 20v system , im still using my original dewalts that charge fine but do not hold a charge well , i did get one of the converter gizmos so i could use them on my older tools but they are not very satisfactory -i did last fall but a small chain saw that uses them and it will kill them in less than an hours use , 

i like my dewalt tools - their battery's are very expensive and dont last near long enough - but then i think their intent was contractor use and im now retired so some of my tools sit months without use 0 a couple like the sawsall and small skillsaw in my kit maybe a year or more without use , 

Seems it’s all in the packaging these days, as opposed to the battery itself.  

i just threw out a 2-year old Dirt Devil sweeper vac with a rechargeable battery that cost me $100. Thought I could get a replacement, but the battery was soldered in the machine and packaged in a way that can’t be replicated. The manufacturer doesn’t offer a replacement, nor does the aftermarket. The machine was fine, but a dead battery rendered the whole thing useless. 

One more device added to landfill. So much for green energy and saving the planet….

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 1

Carrying on..

The problem I have cordless tools and appliances is that when the battery gives up the ghost, a replacement (if available) costs as much as the tool or appliance did - including the battery - when purchased. The result? Throw the thing out and get a new one. And another hit to the environment. 

I have corded devices that are 25-35 years old…

• Like 1

I'm deep deep into Ryobi tools between everything I have at home and everything I have at my off grid 10 acure Cabin property. 

I have found the Amazon Ryobi 18 Volt Battery Lithium are just as good at 1/2 the price .

I have had zero issues using them .

Rooster 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been buying Rigid cordless tools at Home Depot.  They have held up well so far.  The best feature is they have a Lifetime Service Agreement.  You must register your tool, battery and charger by serial number along with your Home Depot receipt after you purchase the tool.  The batteries, tool and charger are covered for life.  I don't think they are as good as Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee but they work just fine and I really like the warranty.  I'm not in construction but I do use my cordless drills a good bit in the workshop.  

• Like 1

So I had four DEWALT cordless tools here - a 12v drill, a 20v drill, a 20v angle driver and an 18v reciprocating saw.  The saw actually belongs to the Kid, and he "borrowed it back" a few weeks ago.  

I'm wanting to get a recip of my own and an impact driver, both in 20v.  Might consider a circular saw, too.  To that end, I'm looking at buying bare tools and batteries separately - doesn't seem to be much of a price break in buying a tool with batteries and charger as a set.  Sooo... if the aftermarkets are decent, I'll seriously consider 'em.  And unlike the Kid, I'm not using them daily.  

8 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've been buying Rigid cordless tools at Home Depot.  They have held up well so far.  The best feature is they have a Lifetime Service Agreement.  You must register your tool, battery and charger by serial number along with your Home Depot receipt after you purchase the tool.  The batteries, tool and charger are covered for life.  I don't think they are as good as Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee but they work just fine and I really like the warranty.  I'm not in construction but I do use my cordless drills a good bit in the workshop.  

+1

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So I had four DEWALT cordless tools here - a 12v drill, a 20v drill, a 20v angle driver and an 18v reciprocating saw.  The saw actually belongs to the Kid, and he "borrowed it back" a few weeks ago.  

I'm wanting to get a recip of my own and an impact driver, both in 20v.  Might consider a circular saw, too.  To that end, I'm looking at buying bare tools and batteries separately - doesn't seem to be much of a price break in buying a tool with batteries and charger as a set.  Sooo... if the aftermarkets are decent, I'll seriously consider 'em.  And unlike the Kid, I'm not using them daily.  

Watch when buying the bundled sets. Often the tools are a couple of generation old and not as good buying the tools individually.

• Thanks 1

They are batteries in series with brand dependant + and - terminals

If its a 20v battery it's a 20v battery.  Go on ebay or Amazon and buy an adapter that slips between the battery and your tool then buy the cheapest batts you can get.

I also buy new batteries still in blister packs from companies that sell recovered freight. Roll a truck? Most of that stuff is still good but the insurance company owns it now.

Ebay multi packs of brand voltage and amp hours you want.  Good deals to be had

The Dewalt 20v batts and tools are really 18, 20 is just when they are fully charged. But it was a way for big-yellow to obsoless their old line and sell new stuff, as well as switch to lithium.

but what about the batts, you ask.I found a guy on eBay who sells DeW compatible batts and chargers for less, they work, don’t know if they are better and won’t used them enough to compare.

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I switched to Makitas a few years ago when I discovered they don't obsolete battery designs every few years. I got sick of makers all of a sudden changing battery designs.

I don't know what kind of brain fart I had here, I switched TO Ryobi from Makita and Craftsman. DOH

I have bought a number of Makita aftermarket batteries for 1/4 the cost of new makita batteries and they have all worked and lasted as good as name brand

• Like 2