SASS Wire Forum

New Cimarron 1887 12ga.

I’m guessing that this answers all those questions we’ve been hearing about this gun!!

Orta be a real player after Lassiter get ahold of it!!

Deuce!! Keep us posted!! And THANKS!!

Thanks for a great review Deuce.  And on something people are wondering about!  I wish Cimarron hadn't called this one the Terminator.  Might confuse some people.  They seem to want to have to give a nickname to every new model.  Oh well, at least they are coming out with them!

Looks pretty good.  I've got one by Chiappa, their "Terminator" model, which has an 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip stock.  (And a solid lever)  Not SASS legal in that config for some reason, but fun.  I assume Cimarrons Terminator will be similar.   

If the 28" barrel version has fixed/full choke, I'll be interested.  If screw ins, I don't know.

Thanks!

Great Review. 

Looks like a good starting point for sure .

I need one lol

14 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Looks pretty good.  I've got one by Chiappa, their "Terminator" model, which has an 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip stock.  (And a solid lever)  Not SASS legal in that config for some reason, but fun.  I assume Cimarrons Terminator will be similar.   

If the 28" barrel version has fixed/full choke, I'll be interested.  If screw ins, I don't know.

Solid Lever?  Not sure what you mean?  Got an original, but haven’t shot it. Thx in advance for the clarification. 

Howdy Nimble,

Some '87s had a lever with a loop that was two pieces the lower one moved a fraction of an inch down when cycled. Some kind of a locking/unlocking deal I believe, kind of like what I think ;you see on some Win. 95 rifles. My Chinese '87 had that welded shut when it was slickered (the weld has since let go with no seeming difference in operation).

By the way, the gun in the review operated better than any unmodified '87 I've ever seen, especially mine.

Rev. Chase 

4 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Nimble,

Some '87s had a lever with a loop that was two pieces the lower one moved a fraction of an inch down when cycled. Some kind of a locking/unlocking deal I believe, kind of like what I think ;you see on some Win. 95 rifles. My Chinese '87 had that welded shut when it was slickered (the weld has since let go with no seeming difference in operation).

By the way, the gun in the review operated better than any unmodified '87 I've ever seen, especially mine.

Rev. Chase 

Thank you sir!  You are a gentleman and a scholar. Appreciate the “lesson”. 

I apologize if I missed the the Country of Origin or manufacturer. The hit or miss quality of some imports annoys me. And yes, a lot slicker than the two I seen used. And one of those was a Coyote Capp. 

I'll have to get one. I started with a 1897, and added a few more of those, a SxS and a single shot. As far as fun, the single shot is the winner. The SxS is not fun, it's a skill gun IMHO. But I can see myself finishing a stage with the 87 and saying "I'll be back". 

On my bucket list is to develop a buckshot load, cowboy power to fool with. Yes, I'm well aware it is not allowed, but heck, it would be fun. My idea is for a 6 pellet load at subsonic speeds, if that is possible. 

BB

Edited by "Big Boston"

1 hour ago, "Big Boston" said:

But I can see myself finishing a stage with the 87 and saying "I'll be back". 

Well, if you wanna do that, you need one that looks like this...

TerminatorShotgun.thumb.JPG.3a8953432a03791814579746b9a22d3d.JPG

This one was made by Chiappa.

Not SASS Legal for some reason, but some clubs will let you use them at a local.  BTW, I got a conventual stock for it give me a "two in one" package.  Very nice.

From watching Deuce's video it looks like one would not be able to load 6 in the magazine and close the lever to go to the line for wild bunch with an action closed, hammer down, mag stoked condition.  Is that correct?   I have a Lassiter Chiappa 87 for cowboy, but was interested in another 87 for wild bunch which could be stoked.  However, if the mag will not hold 6 that would be a handicap in wild bunch.  I cannot test this out on my Lassiter 87 since I cannot load the magazine.  It does appear just from making measurements that loading 6 and closing the lever on an empty chamber is not possible on a Chiappa.  Does anyone know if this is possible on the Cimarron version?  Thanks.

TR 

4 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

From watching Deuce's video it looks like one would not be able to load 6 in the magazine and close the lever to go to the line for wild bunch with an action closed, hammer down, mag stoked condition.  Is that correct?   I have a Lassiter Chiappa 87 for cowboy, but was interested in another 87 for wild bunch which could be stoked.  However, if the mag will not hold 6 that would be a handicap in wild bunch.  I cannot test this out on my Lassiter 87 since I cannot load the magazine.  It does appear just from making measurements that loading 6 and closing the lever on an empty chamber is not possible on a Chiappa.  Does anyone know if this is possible on the Cimarron version?  Thanks.

TR 

When did WB match rules change to allow ‘87s?

2 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

I apologize if I missed the the Country of Origin or manufacturer. ...

China

7 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

When did WB match rules change to allow ‘87s?

Beginning of this year, along with SxS and any SASS-legal rifle.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

...  However, if the mag will not hold 6 that would be a handicap in wild bunch.  ...

Just a guess, but it might be easily modified to hold 6 like the '97 is with something like Wild Bodie Tom's spring and follower kit.

41 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

TR 

Watch the video and you’ll see it’ll take 5 in the tube and one on the carrier below the chamber. Since I wasn’t aware of the rule change, I’ve no idea whether they’ll allow that. 

Watch the video and you’ll see it’ll take 5 in the tube and one on the carrier below the chamber. Since I wasn’t aware of the rule change, I’ve no idea whether they’ll allow that. 

Yes, but when he tried to close the lever with 5 in the tube and one on the carrier, it would not close fully.   Closing the lever pushes the round on the carrier back into the magazine and with 5 already in there I believe that is what prevented fully closing the lever. 

TR

Edited by Tommy Reb

2 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

Yes, but when he tried to close the lever with 5 in the tube and one on the carrier, it would not close fully.   Closing the lever pushes the round on the carrier back into the magazine and with 5 already in there I believe that is what prevented fully closing the lever. 

Yup and I knew that but had a brain fart. I’m not a Wild Bunch guy so that’s not really on my radar. It does have a LOT of mag spring pressure so I’m sure some coils could come off. Mine will be regulated to a “2 shooter” only as it’s headed to Lassiter tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

TR

The way I saw it is he put 5 in tube, 1 on the carrier and 1 in the chamber, (5+2) which didn’t work. When he removed the chambered round, it worked. Then he repeated with 6 in the gun (5+1). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The way I saw it is he put 5 in tube, 1 on the carrier and 1 in the chamber, (5+2) which didn’t work. When he removed the chambered round, it worked. Then he repeated with 6 in the gun (5+1). 

The action will not close on empty chamber with 6 in it (5 in tube one on carrier). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

The action will not close on empty chamber with 6 in it (5 in tube one on carrier). 

Understood. He kicked the open lever forward to raise the shell first, then closed it. (5:15 and 6:00 marks in the video). 

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783

25 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Understood. He kicked the open lever forward to raise the shell first, then closed it. (5:15 and 6:00 marks in the video). 

Yup….I am he soooo I’m just explaining what happened. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Deuce!  I actually found a dealer on GB last Thursday that was not using stock photos, but instead had actual photos of the gun.  After confirming that the gun in the photos was the actual one I'd be receiving I went ahead and bid on it.  Should be at my local FFL this Wednesday.  I do not expect a SASS competition gun, but if it is at least a functional 1887 I will be happy especially considering the price point.  Might even consider picking up one of the 28" models and would definitely grab a 10ga version if those become a reality.

30 minutes ago, Brimstone Bill Willson said:

I got to play with one this weekend as well.  The one I had would hold 6 in the tube/ carrier.  I agree with Duece, it seems like a great gun.

Yes, it looks like it will hold 6 with 5 in the tube and one on the carrier with the action open.  But it you try to go to an action closed, hammer down on an empty chamber condition, it will not fully close.  This is because when the action is closed, the round on the carrier is pushed into the magazine, and the magazine will not hold 6 rounds.

Based on measureing, it looks like on a Chiappa 87 it might be possible to load 6 by shorting the follower.  Might have to shorten the mag spring as well.  Only way to know for sure would be to try it.  My Chiappa has the Lassiter "drop two" mod so it is not a candidate.  I'm reluctant to spend the money on a Cimarron 87 not knowing for sure if it can be made to hold 6 rounds.  If any of you purchase one for wild bunch use and attemp the modifications to make it a 6 rounder, I sure would appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.

TR

54 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

Yes, it looks like it will hold 6 with 5 in the tube and one on the carrier with the action open.  But it you try to go to an action closed, hammer down on an empty chamber condition, it will not fully close.  This is because when the action is closed, the round on the carrier is pushed into the magazine, and the magazine will not hold 6 rounds.

Based on measureing, it looks like on a Chiappa 87 it might be possible to load 6 by shorting the follower.  Might have to shorten the mag spring as well.  Only way to know for sure would be to try it.  My Chiappa has the Lassiter "drop two" mod so it is not a candidate.  I'm reluctant to spend the money on a Cimarron 87 not knowing for sure if it can be made to hold 6 rounds.  If any of you purchase one for wild bunch use and attemp the modifications to make it a 6 rounder, I sure would appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.

TR

I'll double check, but the one I played with will hold 6 in the tube/ carrier with the action closed and will hold 7 total if you loaded one in the chamber.

Deuce mentioned that the gun comes in different barrel lengths. Do the different barrel lengths have different mag tube lengths also? that may allow for more in the mag tube.  

11 minutes ago, Brimstone Bill Willson said:

I'll double check, but the one I played with will hold 6 in the tube/ carrier with the action closed and will hold 7 total if you loaded one in the chamber.

Hello Brimstone.  Thanks for checking this out.  I sure hope you are correct.  Looks like the one Deuce had would not.  However, individual guns might differ just enough to make it possible.    I'll look forward to hearing back from you.

3 minutes ago, The Surgeon said:

Deuce mentioned that the gun comes in different barrel lengths. Do the different barrel lengths have different mag tube lengths also? that may allow for more in the mag tube.  

Good point.  I know the mag tube on Chiappa's are the same length regardless of barrel length, but I have no idea about the Cimarron version.  Hopefully Brimstone will let us know what the barrel length was on the one he handled.

TR

• Like 1