SASS Wire Forum

New Cimarron 1887 shotguns?

July Smith

Anyone have experience with the new Cimarron 1887 shotguns?  There are a number of sellers on Gunbroker with a bunch of them in stock, all with starting bids of around $550.  I am curious who actually makes them and how the fit and finish is?  I assume they won't be SASS ready but it would be nice if they are at least functional out of the box. 

Just now, La Sombra said:

@Abilene, SASS # 27489 Can you help @July Smith out?

La Sombra

Nope, first I've heard of them.  A guess would be that these are the replacements for the ones sent back to China a year or two ago.

15 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’d be wary of buying one of those from an auction site. 

I have had literally hundreds of positive transactions on Gunbroker, not concerned about that.  I just don't buy guns without doing my research on them and I can find literally nothing about these new Cimarron 87s.  The price point of $550 just seems too good to be true, so maybe I do have my answer.:(

They must have just come in, so you might need to wait to hear from someone who has bought one of these, and/or from a CAS gunsmith who gets one and can tell us whether or not they are worth working on.

32 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If they’re just coming in, why are they being sold on an auction site instead of dealer?

Those are dealers selling them on Gunbroker.  They probably all had backorders at Cimarron waiting for these shotguns to show up.  Same thing happened a year or two ago when Cimarron suddenly got a few hundred of the 1878 Coach guns in.  You find out first when you see them all over Gunbroker.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Those are dealers selling them on Gunbroker.  They probably all had backorders at Cimarron waiting for these shotguns to show up.  Same thing happened a year or two ago when Cimarron suddenly got a few hundred of the 1878 Coach guns in.  You find out first when you see them all over Gunbroker.

I did buy one of those 1878 coach guns and was really very happy with the fit and finish, it opened pretty easily and the hammers didn’t strain your thumbs to cock them, if I had bought it to hunt with it I wouldn’t change a thing, it will go to my gunsmith for an action job to cowboy with but it is a very nice shotgun out of the box. Sorry to hijack your 1887 thread!

They are on the Cimarron website at $623.  Pics at the Firearms Depot website show a black finish, no blueing, but nice looking wood.  You are probably getting just what you’re paying for and nothing more.

I  would guess you need to send it to Lassiter just to get it running right.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Maybe I need to find the time to make it to Texas Jack's and try and handle one in person.  Not willing to buy one online based off of generic stock photos.  

And a good excuse to go to Fredericksburg.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, July Smith said:

Maybe I need to find the time to make it to Texas Jack's and try and handle one in person.  Not willing to buy one online based off of generic stock photos.  

July, Comancheria Days are coming up in April. Maybe you can kill two birds with one stone.

• Like 1

I seem to remember watching a video about them and they came from China. Their last batch of 1878's were Pakistan.

Edited by SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER

On 1/21/2024 at 3:19 PM, Ezra Hawthorne said:

Shows out of stock.  So who bought em, and how do they like em?

• 4 weeks later...

Overall I am very happy with my Cimarron 1887.  Right out of the box the gun simply functions as it should.  This is the only shotgun I have ever handled that I felt right out of the box would be suitable for SASS matches.  Sure it’s not a race ready 87, but it is reliable and for anyone interested in picking up an 87 I would highly recommend.  Just FYI mine holds 5 in the tube but won’t close with a 6th shell on the carrier, so for use in wild bunch the spring will need to be modified. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, July Smith said:

Overall I am very happy with my Cimarron 1887.  Right out of the box the gun simply functions as it should.  This is the only shotgun I have ever handled that I felt right out of the box would be suitable for SASS matches.  Sure it’s not a race ready 87, but it is reliable and for anyone interested in picking up an 87 I would highly recommend.  Just FYI mine holds 5 in the tube but won’t close with a 6th shell on the carrier, so for use in wild bunch the spring will need to be modified. 

Thanks for the reply. BTW Deuce Stevens did a couple videos on them. I think he cut down the mag tube spring and did get 6 in it for WB. 

9 hours ago, July Smith said:

I like the one I got a lot two. It runs great as is; though it still needs to be modded to load two quickly. I was very pleased that it ejects very well.

SLATER (slaters in house guns @ 865-591-5129) got 4 of them in recently and they are very nice.   Although I ain't an 87 shooter,

they were nicely blued and had beautiful wood.

Slater uses an 87 and is darn fast with it....... especially after he also does a drop-2 mod on them.

He is also a SASS Merchant.

Give him a call..... and tell him Widder said so.

..........Widder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just Picked up mine from Barleycorn Outfitters here off the Wire. 

Thank you Matt .

Great to deal with .

IMG_20240302_162721_325.jpg

IMG_20240302_162721_594.jpg

IMG_20240302_162721_646.jpg

• Like 3

I’ve shot CC with black powder loads out of my PW87 for 6 years. I just bought a Cimarron, all I can say is Wow! Smoother than mine right out of the box and twice as nice looking with excellent walnut. IMG_6737.thumb.jpeg.ac4a4edf7c99e7de65049a9a0604d76b.jpegIMG_6748.thumb.jpeg.56f1882d6cb2b5baf68d763e3dac644b.jpegIMG_6741.thumb.jpeg.fe933eeab40b3ca584cdd274a298bc8d.jpegIMG_6738.thumb.jpeg.a5e434ce12764fb78b4ea9aa3b101637.jpeg

IMG_6748.jpeg

• Like 1

Longtime Cimarron gunsmith Lonnie Amman might have something to do with how good those guns seem to work.  He reworked some of the first batch before they sent them back to China, and told them what to fix.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Longtime Cimarron gunsmith Lonnie Amman might have something to do with how good those guns seem to work.  He reworked some of the first batch before they sent them back to China, and told them what to fix.

Who ever had there hands involved into having these shotguns done .

Have done it right .

Obviously these was made with us -

(Cowboy action shooting) -in mind .

They really did a great job on them .

They will work right out of the box ( stock guns ).

I can't wait to see the first video of Lassiter's work on this gun .

Thank you again 

Mike  Harvey  &  Cimarron Firearms. 

• Like 2