SASS Wire Forum

Recommend me an engraver.

Old Irish Shooter

If you want to drive about 3 hours to the south east (Springfield, MO), Jim Downing (thegunengraver.com) works out of the Cherokee Firearms gun shop. He's president of his SASS club and I think just got his fifth award from True West Magazine as Best Western Gun Engraver. He started engraving in the late 1970's.

Good guy to deal with. He did a pair of Vaqueros for us last year. Awesome work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Helllo,

Jeff flanery, did mine.  Got more for the money than anyone else.  But he has his one style.   And yes you will never get the money spent out of the guns if you every sell them.  Check his web site for examples.

8 hours ago, Irish Pat said:

engraving your Sass number may make your pistol harder to sell if you ever get a desire to swap it on something different 

I like old guns. Used guns if they have someones name or SASS number on them it just adds to the story of the gun or item.

kR

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Aspen Philly sets up shop at major events and engraves during the match.  I've seen her working at Land Run.

She engraved my wife's NMV's, while at the Quigley shoot many years ago.

Super nice lady, and a dang good shot!

• Like 1

Here is a 5th or 6th vote for Jim Downing, he has done grip frames on two of my NMV and the side plate of my 73, he doe’s excellent work, he is fast, and his prices are more than fair. He is also a great guy to talk with about what you might want to get done

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Irish Pat said:

engraving your Sass number may make your pistol harder to sell if you ever get a desire to swap it on something different 

Somewhere there is a pair of stainless Ruger Vaquero 45s and a set of blue 357s with my alias on the grip backstraps. If the new owners didn't replace them. Or buff them off. :lol::P

The pair I want engraved is an anniversary gift from my wife so they will always be by my side. Jim Finch worked his magic on them and they are just smooth as silk and now I want to add a little personal touch to them. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I like old guns. Used guns if they have someones name or SASS number on them it just adds to the story of the gun or item.

kR

That's bc you're a dirty Outlaw and the stories you can make up are that much more "colorful". :lol:

Edited by Waimea
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

A lot of that depends on the price.  Expensive guns that are engraved with the previous owner's name or SASS number can be very difficult to sell, unless the name or number is well known such as SASS #1.  I know of a bunch listed to be sold and, so far, no takers.  Also, adding a couple of thousand dollars of engraving on a gun that sold for maybe half the price of the engraving seems like adding "silk" to a sow's ear.

Edited by Tex Jones, SASS 2263

10 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I wonder if you can take an unengraved Colt back to the factory and have them engrave it.

Yep.   Look at the custom shop services on the Colt's Manufacturing web site.  They will inspect your firearm before they start work on it, or return it without any work being done.  Engraving starts at $1,650 up to $13,000 for a signed master engraved piece, unless you want an exhibition piece then it's P.O.R.