SASS Wire Forum

1955 sweep ?

4 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

You would have really hated the one we shot yesterday...

10-10-4+

Gun Order is Rifle, Shotgun, Pistols

Rifle with 10 rounds staged on the right table, open empty Shotgun staged on the left table. Pistols loaded with 5 rounds each holstered.

Begin standing behind right table with hands FLAT on the table.

Line is "A Flyer"

ATB: with Rifle beginning on either end Single tap T1 then single tap T1 and T2, then single tap T1, T2, T3, then single tap T1, T2, T3, T4 in this order. Make rifle safe for downrange movement.

Then with Shotgun engage 2 knockdowns and the activator then the clay bird in the air. Either pair first but the activator has to knocked down before engaging the clay bird. If you miss the clay bird in the air it can be made up on the other knockdown. Make shotgun safe for downrange movement.

After the Activator is down you have to expend 1 round for the clay bird before it can be made up with the other knockdown.

With Pistols from the downrange table beginning on either end Single tap T1 then single tap T1, T2, then single tap T1, T2, T3, then single tap T1, T2, T3, T4 in this order.

Load Left Unload Right

I learned this as the 'Lawrence Welk sweep' :huh:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on Pards .

Remember is just like the 1957 sweep with two less knock downs :P

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I learned this as the 'Lawrence Welk sweep' :huh:

A Lawrence Welk Sweep out here is P1, P2,P2, P3,P3,P3, P4,P4,P4,P4 and the same with the rifle. Might be different somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

A Lawrence Welk Sweep out here is P1, P2,P2, P3,P3,P3, P4,P4,P4,P4 and the same with the rifle. Might be different somewhere else.

That’s the reason I quit using names, because around here the sweep you listed is called a Progressive Sweep.

Randy

10 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The 1-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-4 sweep has been called Lawrence Welk, Montana, Progressive, IRS, Arizona.

I've found the 1-1-2-1-2-3-1-2-3-4 called a San Juan Sweep.

9 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

That’s the reason I quit using names, because around here the sweep you listed is called a Progressive Sweep.

Randy

It seems as if a lot of places have done just that. Clarity.

I wonder if named sweeps will be another vestige of 'old school' SASS that's fading away.

10 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

Agree.

So many sweeps get called other things in different areas. 

Only thing I see the same everywhere we go is the Nevada sweep. 

Now, wasn't that 1955 sweep fun?  Seems like most Pards shot rifle first then dump each revolver on the close in targets, but there was a mix of strategies.  We have also done an 1873 sweep in the past.

6 minutes ago, Red Oak said:

Now, wasn't that 1955 sweep fun?  Seems like most Pards shot rifle first then dump each revolver on the close in targets, but there was a mix of strategies.  We have also done an 1873 sweep in the past.

Fun...so essentially three dumps. What makes it so much fun as to want mention here in the Wire?

Phantom

1955 sweep, T-1 (1 rifle) T-2 (9 rifle) T-3 (dump pistol) T-4 (dump pistol)   Stand and deliver with 3 dumps.   Then maybe go to another position for the shotgun, or shoot the shotgun from the same position.   This is the kind of stage that the InRange guy was talking about.   Not a whole lot of challenge or movement.   Granted, there are only so many ways you can shoot a 10-10-4+, and sometimes in the height of summer, this kind of stage is welcome.   

Perhaps break it up some?  Widely spaced targets.  Shotgun on 2 targets on the left, shotgun on 2 targets on the right, pick up the rifle. Then 1 on an R-target on the far left,  then 9 on an R-target on the far right, then proceed to a downrange position to do the 5-5 on 2 widely spaced P targets.  It's still a 3-dump 1955 but with movement and maybe a little challenge?  Just a suggestion.

Never mind... I need more coffee.

We did an 1873 sweep at our annual. In honor of 150 years of the 1873.

10 pistol, 9 rifle, 4+ shotgun that was split.  

We also offered a gun to anyone that could shoot it in 18.73 

Had someone just miss it. Can't remember now if he shot it in 18.74 or 18.72

Just remember he missed it by that much. lol

3 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Why not just do a California sweep?

Dump 20 on one target 

Left California years ago, haven't looked back!!!

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Fun...so essentially three dumps. What makes it so much fun as to want mention here in the Wire?

Phantom

:rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

But even with a Nevada, some folks will argue on whether or not it has to start on an end.

Yep, I had a stage Friday with 2 separate 5 shot Nevada sweeps, on 3 targets, each starting on the center target. 

Randy

On 12/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Reloads can be fun in occasion! It flattens the playing field a little! 

I respectfully disagree.  Anything that makes a stage more difficult is going to favor the top shooters.  Small and far targets, the gap between the top folks and everyone else will increase, not decrease.  There's a reason top shooters are at the top.  They practice, including reloads.

I'll disagree with another point some are making.  Although I definitely would not want a steady diet of dumps, they can in fact be pretty challenging.  A few years back I shot a state match with a huge target, 20 round dump and misses didn't count, BUT you had to fire all 20 rounds.  Once a shooter runs a 10 second or faster stage, suddenly that 'easy' dump target stage isn't so easy anymore. If I recall correctly I ran mine in about 13 seconds, which was mediocre.  

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I respectfully disagree.  Anything that makes a stage more difficult is going to favor the top shooters.  Small and far targets, the gap between the top folks and everyone else will increase, not decrease.  There's a reason top shooters are at the top.  They practice, including reloads.

I'll disagree with another point some are making.  Although I definitely would not want a steady diet of dumps, they can in fact be pretty challenging.  A few years back I shot a state match with a huge target, 20 round dump and misses didn't count, BUT you had to fire all 20 rounds.  Once a shooter runs a 10 second or faster stage, suddenly that 'easy' dump target stage isn't so easy anymore. If I recall correctly I ran mine in about 13 seconds, which was mediocre.  

There were a lot of jacked out rounds on that stage and they weren’t by Top Shooters.

Randy

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have shot with a few really fast shooters that reloads really slow em down due it being different from just emptying 20 rounds in a flash. They fumble them in rifles, don't line up pistol cylinders etc. I'm betting they don't practice it much as it's such a rare occurrence. I like to see a change up from the usual 10-10-4, it adds to the fun and laughs. Although I'm competitive within my time group, I have fun no matter what first.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Captain, sadly you are tilting at windmills.

CAS has ALWAYS had a contingent that firmly believes that their midpack placements were not because of their personal skillsets (or lack thereof).

They believe "if only" this component (be it reloads, target distance, prop manipulations, dress requirements, plus a 100 other possibilities), "if only" this component was changed - they would be a top tier shooter.

Some will go so far as to (in the name of fun) advocate for luck of the draw items "to level the playing field" - because then others can win.

Or one of my perennial favorites; removing shooters from award contention because they win too often and others should have a chance.

They then hide behind platitudes like "I'm not competitive" and "It's only for fun anyways" to somehow convince the rest of us that their intent is solely noble and not to benefit theirselves in any way.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I have shot with a few really fast shooters that reloads really slow em down due it being different from just emptying 20 rounds in a flash.

I don't know any "really fast shooters" that are affected by a reload more that the "not so fast shooters".

There isn't a "really fast shooter" that didn't get to this level without jacking out a lot of rounds on his/her way there.

Phantom

9 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't know any "really fast shooters" that are affected by a reload more that the "not so fast shooters".

There isn't a "really fast shooter" that didn't get to this level without jacking out a lot of rounds on his/her way there.

Phantom

You've got a point!

38 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, for the record....... I'm in it just for the fun.

:lol:

..........Widder

Me too! I just like to have my fun a little faster than some but a whole lot slower than others.

Randy

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, for the record....... I'm in it just for the fun.

:lol:

..........Widder

As been said:

If I can compete I won't have fun. If I don't have fun I won't compete.

Phantom

Your right (again) Phantom.

Having good competition is fun.   Being able to compete is fun.

And fun is having good competition, regardless of my level of competition or the level of my competition.

You're business is probably gonna get busy the next couple weeks, which may (or may not) limit

your Wire usage.   So just in case you ain't on here......  hope you have a Peaceful and Happy Holiday

season.

..........Widder

24 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Your right (again) Phantom.

Having good competition is fun.   Being able to compete is fun.

And fun is having good competition, regardless of my level of competition or the level of my competition.

You're business is probably gonna get busy the next couple weeks, which may (or may not) limit

your Wire usage.   So just in case you ain't on here......  hope you have a Peaceful and Happy Holiday

season.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder - and Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!!!!

Phantom

1868, origin of 1955....:rolleyes:

Imagine back in 1868, two scouts out to find location of  buffaloes for their village.  Suddenly they are attacked by band of  marauding renegade  Comancheros, one leader and 9 vicious followers.  In the ongoing battle the two scouts, who had recently acquired a pair of '66s in a fur trade, dispatched the ten assailants.  Unharmed, the two scouts gathered the ten horses and each took 5 horses to trade to Chief for the hand of two of his daughters.  Happy ending in the battle "for 1955".:D

Different sweep perhaps not as complimentary to duelists as two-hand shooters and gunfighters but doable for sure.  IMO, easier than 1873 sweep.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:57 PM, Red Oak said:

Left California years ago, haven't looked back!!!

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

1868, origin of 1955....:rolleyes:

Imagine back in 1868, two scouts out to find location of  buffaloes for their village.  Suddenly they are attacked by band of  marauding renegade  Comancheros, one leader and 9 vicious followers.  In the ongoing battle the two scouts, who had recently acquired a pair of '66s in a fur trade, dispatched the ten assailants.  Unharmed, the two scouts gathered the ten horses and each took 5 horses to trade to Chief for the hand of two of his daughters.  Happy ending in the battle "for 1955".:D

Different sweep perhaps not as complimentary to duelists as two-hand shooters and gunfighters but doable for sure.  IMO, easier than 1873 sweep.

This is a fine example of apple pie at work. 

I see the problem now...

It's in the reading.

It's not a nineteen fifty five sweep.

It's an English - German hybrid.

It's a One NEIN Five Five sweep.

You have 12 targets 

2 to the left in a HOSTAGE array (meaning a shoot target slightly obscured by a no shoot target)

and then to the right two rows of five targets.

(one row close, one row further back)

10 + 1 rifle

10 pistol

1 shotgun

At beep:  With rifle

Shoot the bad guy holding the schoolmarm hostage 1x

Don't hit the schoolmarm

Shoot his gang

(the CLOSER row of targets 1x each)

Then shoot the rest of his gang

(the FURTHER row of targets 1x each.)

1 - NEIN - Five - Five

11th Rifle round may be loaded at any time after the beep.

With pistols

Shoot the bad guy holding the schoolmarm hostage 1x

Don't hit the schoolmarm

Shoot the CLOSER row of targets 1x each

Shoot any four of the FURTHER row of targets 1x each

Shoot the remaining FURTHER row target with shotgun 1x.

Rifle reload could be traded out with more shotgun.

Shotgun could be traded out for a pistol reload.

Maybe make it more interesting with a required movement between shots 1 and 2.

Requiring a return to 1st position at beginning of pistol sequence.

See?

1955 (or 1 - Nein - 5 - 5) could be as easy or challenging as you wish.

If I were writin the instructions I’d let the gunfighters alternate the 5-5 targets.

14 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

If I were writin the instructions I’d let the gunfighters alternate the 5-5 targets.

That would be a nice gesture..... BUT, it could no longer be called a 'sweep'.

But you have my vote!  :D

..........Widder

Archived