SASS Wire Forum

1/2 inch wrench

Perro Del Diablo

I don't understand the question. The way it is phrased, it sounds like you only have one half inch wrench. I have more than a dozen. Open end, box, combination, gear wrenches, sockets - deep and shallow in three different drive sizes.

Only having one half inch wrench is like only having one knife, or one 22 rifle. Inconceivable.

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You can substitute a 12 mm in a pinch. Unless, of course, you are missing that one too. ;)

No! That’s actually the 13mm!!

12mm is slightly larger than 7/16”.

I have a couple of extras.

Stop by and you can have one.

When I went out, back in the day, to get my own tool kit, I bought one of the deluxe Craftsman sets AND a basic set in SAE and Metric so I had a pair of wrenches in the most common sizes.

I did it so I had a wrench for both the bolt and nut or both sides of a bicycle tire but it also cut down on the hunting for the right wrench by, at least, half!:D

Say what you will of Hazard Fraught, this is pretty clever....  :rolleyes:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10mm-metric-essential-socket-set-10-piece-58957.html

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Dang! You’re right. Thanks. 

You’ll also find that 3/8” will sometimes fit 10mm or vise-versa, 5/8” can sometimes be used for 16mm, 3/4” will work on 19mm, and 5/16” is exactly 8mm.

The only one that is directly interchangeable is 5/16 and 8mm. The others will work most of the time, but variances in manufacturing tolerances of both wrenches and fasteners will dictate how well they work.

4 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Ok which one of you hooligans take my 1/2 inch wrench?

Don’t feel too bad!

I have a huge SnapOn tool chest, another large standup toolbox, a smaller roll around toolbox, three tool carts, and a head tall large drawer cabinet for large specialty tools, and half the time, I can’t find a half inch wrench either!! :wacko: :lol:

The laugh emoji is there ‘cause it don’t do a damned bit of good to cry!!

I think that there is a definite correlation to 10mm and 1/2” tools vanishing and missing socks. Somewhere there’s a little demon or an inter-dimensional being with a strange mental quirk that causes them to collect these thing or it’s just their duty to make men crazy. They’re the same little suckers that cause small springs to bounce their way right out of whatever you’re working on and into an unknown realm. Never to be seen again. 

27 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The only one that is directly interchangeable is 5/16 and 8mm

That was my understanding. Someone needs to tell Harbor Freight.

Ever since they came up with that stupid - I feel I must repeat that term, stupid - side mount battery terminal, it's used a 5/16 wrench. Normally I would use a 5/16 socket on a quarter inch drive ratchet, but they're so damn sloppy these days that they won't stick on the ratchet, and the socket falls off and it's down there somewhere inside of the car.

So while I was looking at Hardpan's 10 mm socket thing I saw this. My first thought was that was a good idea. The socket can't fall off. But then I thought - 10 mm?

Screenshot_20230920-1311402.thumb.png.35af9ed8c44762d8575023f3a3df3d83.png

You left it on the top of your vehicle at the last SASS match you went to.

Or it went to the same place as the missing remote and the other sock that made up the pair

6 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

You can substitute a 12 mm in a pinch. Unless, of course, you are missing that one too. ;)

.......... but a 13mm is a better fit   ...... unless you've got small nuts .....  :blush:

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

When my wife takes and misplaces one, I just buy another!

Uh-Huh…your wife takes and loses your tools…riiiight. 
image.png.98d34adb3735a48e39094e1b11a1ca85.png

Just now, Pat Riot said:

Uh-Huh…your wife takes and loses your tools…riiiight. 
image.png.98d34adb3735a48e39094e1b11a1ca85.png

Yup! She designed, built and maintains the pumps and filters for a good sized Koi pond.  Yesterday she killed a rattler in the pump house before she called me to get rid of it.

Archived