SASS Wire Forum

Rib question possibly broke

Perro Del Diablo

Probably not broke. From very personal, repeated mind you, experience, a bruised rib actually hurts worse than a cracked/broken rib. Yes, you probably damaged some muscle and then irritated it again somehow. 

I will point out now though, that getting medical/financial/legal/relationship advise in the Saloon is probably not the best first/last/any choice.

11 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I will point out now though, that getting medical/financial/legal/relationship advise in the Saloon is probably not the best first/last/any choice.

Quite correct. You will get multiple, conflicting answers, most of them wrong. If one IS correct, you'll never know because it will be mixed in with the wrong ones. 

And then we will likely make fun of you... just because.

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Varies by the type of break, and the patient.

I'm the sucking wind, maybe a tear, saying I'm OK while trying to push the new lump in the side of my chest back in but wanting to die kinda patient. 

36 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm the sucking wind, maybe a tear, saying I'm OK while trying to push the new lump in the side of my chest back in but wanting to die kinda patient. 

Yup, I'm screwed if I ever get one of "kills ya in 3 days" deals! I might be giving it consideration by 3, but would give it another couple before doing anything about it!

Go to your doctor, hopefully get some pictures taken.  Even if the ribs are not broken, there could be bruising/ hematomas on internal organs that need attention.

See a doctor

Get X-rays 

If just broken, cracked or bruised ask Doc for pain killer (ibuprofen works for me) and more importantly ask for prescription Lidocaine patches. They’re 5% Lidocaine. If Doc won’t give you patches go to drug store and get Salon Pas 4% Lidocaine patches. 
Cover pain area with patch(es) and relax. 
Do Not Wrap Ribs. It restricts breathing. 

I said “just broken cracked or bruised” because shattered ribs are worse and could puncture lung(s). 

My shattered rib pain didn’t show up for two days. I made a wrong move and WAM, intense pain due punctured lung. 

33 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Waiting for urgent care to open so can have portraits done. 

By the way, if they give that jazz about “ribs are hard to X-ray and get all the areas that may be affected” tell them to take more pictures at different angles. Unless you have had a bunch of X-rays this year. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot said:

By the way, if they give that jazz about “ribs are hard to X-ray and get all the areas that may be affected” tell them to take more pictures at different angles. Unless you have had a bunch of X-rays this year. 

I've had at least 4 so far this year. As many times I've done x-rays surprised my glow not seen from space station 

Glad you got an answer.  Try not to sneeze, laugh, or cough.  Those hurt, at least it did when I broke my right side floating ribs!

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

2 ribs are broke gonna have take couple days off work. 

If they didn’t prescribe lidocaine patches I would buy some OTC. They really help a lot. Believe me. 

16 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Probably not broke. From very personal, repeated mind you, experience, a bruised rib actually hurts worse than a cracked/broken rib. Yes, you probably damaged some muscle and then irritated it again somehow. 

On Christmas Eve 2021 I fell and was taken by ambulance to a the big hospital in Prescott Valley. After waiting for 3 hours in a nearly empty waiting room I was finally seen by a "doctor" who, without doing ANY rests sent me home because I was   " bruised and had pulled some muscles".

On the 27th, in massive pain, I drove myself to the VA hospital where it was discovered that I had broken my back, and three ribs, torn cartilage in my shoulder, and was severely bruised all over my right side.

I was in a lot of pain for a week or so, dropping Tylenol like M&Ms and not able to do a lot for myself (Thank God for friends and neighbors) until it quite rapidly

got better.

In mid-December 2022 I had another incident requiring an ambulance ride.  Though I was semi-conscious and had been hallucinating and on-and-off seizures I was asked where I wanter to be taken.  I don't remember this but a friend who had found me told me that I said I wouldn't go to the local hospital again and if the VA didn't have room to take me there and put me in the waiting room unto they had room.  They did have room and this resulted in a nine day stay in  hospital.

The point is this: GET TO A GOOD DOCTOR AND MAKE SURE OF THE DECISIONS HE / SHE MAKES!  DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD!

You can survive almost anything but a crappy doctor and a terribly wrong diagnosis.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

On Christmas Eve 2021 I fell and was taken by ambulance to a the big hospital in Prescott Valley. After waiting for 3 hours in a nearly empty waiting room I was finally seen by a "doctor" who, without doing ANY rests sent me home because I was   " bruised and had pulled some muscles".

On the 27th, in massive pain, I drove myself to the VA hospital where it was discovered that I had broken my back, and three ribs, torn cartilage in my shoulder, and was severely bruised all over my right side.

I was in a lot of pain for a week or so, dropping Tylenol like M&Ms and not able to do a lot for myself (Thank God for friends and neighbors) until it quite rapidly

got better.

In mid-December 2022 I had another incident requiring an ambulance ride.  Though I was semi-conscious and had been hallucinating and on-and-off seizures I was asked where I wanter to be taken.  I don't remember this but a friend who had found me told me that I said I wouldn't go to the local hospital again and if the VA didn't have room to take me there and put me in the waiting room unto they had room.  They did have room and this resulted in a nine day stay in  hospital.

The point is this: GET TO A GOOD DOCTOR AND MAKE SURE OF THE DECISIONS HE / SHE MAKES!  DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD!

You can survive almost anything but a crappy doctor and a terribly wrong diagnosis.

You seem to like to spend your days in the VA in Dec. Hope this year is better for you.

In 1967 I twisted my knee in a basketball game. I was a senior in HS and working on a scholarship to play ball. After being taken to the local hospital they took x-rays and said no problem, just sprained and to stay off it for a day or so. Problem was the knee was locked and couldn't be moved up or down. The hospital visit was on a Friday night, on Saturday morning my parents took me to the Bone and Joint hospital where they also took x-rays and examined my knee and said the cartilage was torn and was inside the joint and that was why my knee was locked and that I would need immediate surgery on Monday morning to remove the cartilage and repair what other damage there might be. It turned out not only was the cartilage torn by so was the tendons behind the knee. One they were able to repair and the other was removed. I was in a splint from my ankle to my thigh for about 6 weeks and my basketball plans were over. Doctors do make or break a situation very quickly. Some just don't seem to care and do a very crappy job while others excel in their profession. Glad you got the correct care on the second visit. I now have a total knee replacement from that injury but I took over 40 years to get to that point.

TM

20 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

You seem to like to spend your days in the VA in Dec. Hope this year is better for you.

In 1967 I twisted my knee in a basketball game. I was a senior in HS and working on a scholarship to play ball. After being taken to the local hospital they took x-rays and said no problem, just sprained and to stay off it for a day or so. Problem was the knee was locked and couldn't be moved up or down. The hospital visit was on a Friday night, on Saturday morning my parents took me to the Bone and Joint hospital where they also took x-rays and examined my knee and said the cartilage was torn and was inside the joint and that was why my knee was locked and that I would need immediate surgery on Monday morning to remove the cartilage and repair what other damage there might be. It turned out not only was the cartilage torn by so was the tendons behind the knee. One they were able to repair and the other was removed. I was in a splint from my ankle to my thigh for about 6 weeks and my basketball plans were over. Doctors do make or break a situation very quickly. Some just don't seem to care and do a very crappy job while others excel in their profession. Glad you got the correct care on the second visit. I now have a total knee replacement from that injury but I took over 40 years to get to that point.

TM

You know what they call the guy that passed at bottom of the class in med school..."Doctor"

42 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

TM

Which is pretty much like every other profession on the planet. Difference being, a crappy doctor can kill ya.

15 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Which is pretty much like every other profession on the planet. Difference being, a crappy doctor can kill ya.

Correct. Luckily I found a number of great doctors after my life threating incident. I found out the hard way that I have a blood disorder that causes blood clots. One day a few years back I felt light headed while browning some hamburger to make some chili. Not sure what made me turn off the burner before heading for the bar stool to sit down but glad I did. All I know is about 45 minutes later I woke up on the floor in a pool of blood. I evidently fell and hit my face on the cabinets on the way down to smash into the kitchen tile floor. When I woke up I was able to sit up and grab my cell phone from my belt and call my neighbor that I knew was at home. I was able to give him my front door code to unlock the dead bolt.

He came over and saw all the blood and said he needed to call 911. He was more shook up than I was and I ended up talking with the dispatcher to give her all my info. When the Fire Dept EMT's got their first they started checking me my vitals. They didn't say much during their examination.

Then the ambulance showed up and they took over. After checking my vitals again they said they felt I had a severe case of blood clotting and started my on fluids. They loaded my on a gurney and headed for the ambulance and then to the hospital.. My neighbor had called my wife and she was able to get to the hospital about the same time we did. They rolled me into an ER room and I was able to get a look at my face in a mirror that my wife had. My face was all bloody and I had a large gash on my forehead that took 8 stitches to close up. I also had driven a front tooth completely through my upper lip and they called in a plastic surgeon for treating that gash and sewing it up from both sides. I ended up with 7 new doctors and everyone of them told me that I was lucky to be alive, that only about 10% survived the massive clots I had in both lungs after looking at the MRI.

I had to spend the next 6 days in the wing between the general rooms and the ICU. I now have to take a blood thinner for the rest of my life to keep me from getting anymore blood clots. I look at life a little different now and try to live it a little fuller than I used to. I realized first hand that your life can end at any moment and you have no control over when it happens. Why was I one of the ones to wake up from this ordeal I don't know but I am glad GOD wasn't ready for me yet and allowed me to stay on this planet a while longer. Life is precious so don't waste it.  I was lucky my wife didn't come home after work and find me dead on the kitchen floor. All that was there when she got home was a large pool of congealed blood that she said was surprisingly east to clean up. She said if she had found me lying there should would not have been able to continue living there. I am glad for her that she didn't have to go through this hell.

I do not take life for granted anymore.

TM 

8 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I believe I have seen that one

Yup, me too!

5 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

TM

Yeah!  I don't think Jesus wants me at his birthday party any more.  

The first incident was bad enough, but the one last Christmas was a four square, star studded, diamond crusted bitch.  I passed out and spent about 32 hours on the floor in front of my fridge (with the door open) having seizures and hallucinations.  A friend found me when I missed a lunch appointment and he couldn't get me on the phone.  He came by, got neighbor lady who has key and they found me.  I couldn't have had anyone better find me.  He was a combat medic in 'Nam, highly decorated, and with three purple heats of his own.  First thing he did was get a gallon or so of water in and on me while the neighbor lady called 911 and punched my Life Alert button. Everyone but the Cub Scouts showed up within a few minutes (I'm only three blocks from the FD medics).  I vaguely recall several LEOs and every neighbor for a block around being there as I was being put in the Ambulance.  They took care of my dog, my mail, and everything else while I went to spend Christmas and New Years in the hospital.

I don't scare easily but I have to tell you, I was frightened half out of my wits.

What still concerns me is they took every test they could think of and are still not sure what caused it.  Seems to be something to do with Influenza Alpha and some medications I was taking.  They have put me through a complete physical every month since then and I am getting the best treatment I can imagine.  My medical team is made up of seven women and I love every one of them.  If I need something they can't do themselves they don't hesitate to farm me out to another department or even to a civilian doctor.

I have no clue what I have done in my life to deserve this wonderful treatment, but I'm thankful have it.

12 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Waiting for urgent care to open so can have portraits done. 

Glad for it.

I prefer a universe with you alive, well and NOT HURTING in it!

37 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Keep a pillow handy in the event you have to sneeze cough or laugh. Hope you feel better soon but Rob injuries can take a couple months to heal

Good advice. 

On 8/3/2023 at 9:54 AM, Perro Del Diablo said:

2 ribs are broke gonna have take couple days off work. 

There’s comfort in answers…
Bourbon is your friend, at least mine.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:13 PM, Texas Maverick said:

TM

Arrogance gets in the way of many doctors.

Archived