SASS Wire Forum

The zombie apocalypse is well and truly upon us.

After my Friday shopping trip, visiting a cafe for breakfast, a thrift store, the gas station, hardware store, library, pet shop, and office supply store I saw something I hadn't notices before: ZOMBIES!

I'm generally an upbeat sort and I saw a lot of others who are making do with a good attitude, but a lot of mostly younger people...teens and up to the 30s are out there slumping along with no spring in their step, just dragging their feet and slouching on their way with their heads hanging down.  They don't appear to have a goal nor destination.  They have no life in their eyes, no evidence of energy or enthusiasm, won't meet your eyes, don't smile nor laugh, no color in their faces, just pale, nearly lifeless zombies with no real destination and are slowly going to wherever it may be,  Most of them  dress in dull, lifeless colors and many are still wearing hoodies in the 90+ degree weather we are having.  If they speak at all it's in a dull, mumbling or grunted monotone, usually one word or two that is nearly impossible to understand and all too often is a meaningless grunt.

Just lifeless ZOMBIES!!!

Is this the future of America?  I truly pray that it's not.

I'm glad I grew up before smart phones and social media.  Do something stupid in the 80's and before maybe a few people saw you did. 

Do that now and it show up on twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Farcebook and a host of other social media sites. Now you can be humiliated world wide instead of maybe just in your school or town.

I have often wondered if a large EMP from the sun could possibly make life better…but then I realized that this would free the stupid to wreak havoc. 

Weeds choke a flower bed but flowers still find a way to bloom.

I used to laugh at them, and make fun of them.

Then one day I'm walking the dog. And as I'm crossing the street, my phone chirped. Since I was expecting a text, I stopped where I was and took out my phone to see if this was it. And it was, so I stood there reading the text.

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!!

Now this would not have been so bad, except that someone came up to the intersection and wanted to turn. But they could not turn because I was standing there in the middle of the road looking at my phone. So he sits there blowing his horn at me - BEEP BEEP BEEP - which makes me jump and then quickly clear the road so he can get by.

But I had become one of them.

And I don't laugh at them so much now.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I used to laugh at them, and make fun of them.

Then one day I'm walking the dog. And as I'm crossing the street, my phone chirped. Since I was expecting a text, I stopped where I was and took out my phone to see if this was it. And it was, so I stood there reading the text.

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!!

Now this would not have been so bad, except that someone came up to the intersection and wanted to turn. But they could not turn because I was standing there in the middle of the road looking at my phone. So he sits there blowing his horn at me - BEEP BEEP BEEP - which makes me jump and then quickly clear the road so he can get by.

But I had become one of them.

And I don't laugh at them so much now.

I still laugh. I don't text. My phone is used as a phone. The only other features I use are the camera and the calculator. There is not so much going on in my life that it can't wait until I get home. If there is CALL ME and talk to me!!!

I go to a gym three times a week. One of the things I hate there is someone sitting on a machine I want to use pecking away on their phone. The work a 20 second set, then IMMEDIATLY pick up their phone and peck away at it for 2 minutes. Repeat this action 2 or 3 times and I could have already been DONE on the machine and on to the next.

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I still laugh. I don't text. My phone is used as a phone. The only other features I use are the camera and the calculator. There is not so much going on in my life that it can't wait until I get home. If there is CALL ME and talk to me!!!

I go to a gym three times a week. One of the things I hate there is someone sitting on a machine I want to use pecking away on their phone. The work a 20 second set, then IMMEDIATLY pick up their phone and peck away at it for 2 minutes. Repeat this action 2 or 3 times and I could have already been DONE on the machine and on to the next.

I don't own or carry a cell phone.  Hated them by the time I retired, and managed without for most of my life.

43 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I don't own or carry a cell phone.  Hated them by the time I retired, and managed without for most of my life.

I carry one Just in Case. Car accident, call the Police if I have to shoot some jackass that desperately needs it, my Wife remembers something else that she needs me to get at the store, etc.  

I started with a "Brick on my Hip" decades ago, before the City even started supplying them to senior staff.

I wanted it because of my elderly parents, who would sometimes freak out, because I wasn't in the office and they could not get hold of me.

It helped a little, but was a problem if the phone rang when I was in a meeting.

When the "Capitan Kirk" flip phones came out I thought I was in heaven. It just fit in my pocket

NOW, in spite of the computer/camera/video devices, masquerading as a phone out there, I still use a flip phone.

IT FITS IN MY POCKET AND IS OUT OF THE WAY!

Friends who carry these devices seem to be forever getting them broken. 

At the price for one?

No thanks.

AH! Retirement!

Was checking out at my local Safeway store, where at least 75% of employees have gray hair, and was paying with cash.  Mike the cashier was counting out my change, quarter, dime and 3 pennies.  Young bag boy asked "What is a dime?"   Mike had the "deer in the headlights" look on his face.  I showed the "kid" a dime and said it was the same as ten penny's.  He still didn't seem to understand.  Showed him a dime and said it was the silver one with Jefferson's face on it.  His reaction was "Who is Jefferson?"  I gave up and left.  A couple days later I was in there and happened to have Mike as my cashier.  Asked him "Where is dumbass dime kid?"   Mike laughed and said he was fired.

And when they are 18 years of age they get to vote.

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The zombies I saw don't seem to have cell phones not much anything else except GREY everything.  No interest in anything around them, just sloughing along dragging their dull selves somewhere.

Probably drugs.

There are several drugs that make people act in the manner that you are describing.

One of these drugs, Xylazine, is actually nicknamed "The Zombie Drug". It's an animal tranquilizer and it has a particularly nasty effect on the people that inject this crap...it rots the skin and muscle away.

Another is Flakka which has a bunch of nicknames including "bath salts".

If you do an internet search on either, there are plenty of video's of these idiots using this crap...and walking (staggering) around like zombies.

9 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Showed him a dime and said it was the silver one with Jefferson's face on it. 

When did they start putting Jefferson's face on a dime?

Since I've been alive it was Mercury, then it became Roosevelt.

Jefferson is on a nickel. And a $2 bill.

Maybe you shouldn't laugh at the kid. Maybe you should study yourself.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Never.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_(United_States_coin)

Whoops!!!!  My mistake!!!!  Had just finished 4 fingers of Southern Comfort when I typed my post.  Roosevelt on dime, Jefferson on nickel, Washington on quarter.   Need to back down to 2 fingers SO CO.

we still have a ZOMBI apocalypses shoot up in this neck of the woods should you wish to vent in a loud way ....just sayin , its at almans ...they do cowboy too , 

On 6/3/2023 at 7:11 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Talk about dropping the dime...

Go ahead and talk...it's your nickel!  Call me on the Ameche! Question on "The Weakest Link": What war did we fight the Redcoats? Answer should have been either the American Revolution or the War of 1812.

Ever see interviews by Jay Leno or Watters of young people on the street?  Who was the first president? They don't know.  Groucho used to ask, "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" as a consolation prize question.  

OK all you well-informed , "pluggers"...who was Ensign George Gay? 

Hoodies...I don't understand the fetish for them any time of year - I loathe the way the hood blinkers your vision.

But why on God's good Earth wear one, hood up, while wearing shorts in 95 degree heat?

Same with the long black trench coats.  Pushing 100 and a trench coat, loggers boots, and a felt hat....OK, the hat I can't really fault other than as part of the rest of the outfit.

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

OK all you well-informed , "pluggers"...who was Ensign George Gay? 

Ask something hard, Ensign George Gay was the only member from Hornet's Torpedo 8 squadron to survive the attack on the Japanese carriers.

13 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What happened to him after WWII?

"After World War II, Gay spent over 30 years as a pilot for Trans World Airlines.[7] He often lectured on his Midway experiences, and authored the book Sole Survivor.[8] In 1975, he served as a consultant on the set for the movie Midway, in which Kevin Dobson played Gay.[7] In the 2019 film Midway, he was portrayed by Brandon Sklenar.

He attended the decommissioning ceremony of USS Midway on April 11, 1992.

In May 1994 Gay was named to the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame.[9]

On October 21, 1994, Gay died of a heart attack at a hospital in Marietta, Georgia.[7] His body was cremated and his ashes spread at the place where his squadron had launched its ill-fated attack.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Gay_Jr.#Later_years

On 6/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I started with a "Brick on my Hip" decades ago, before the City even started supplying them to senior staff.

I wanted it because of my elderly parents, who would sometimes freak out, because I wasn't in the office and they could not get hold of me.

It helped a little, but was a problem if the phone rang when I was in a meeting.

When the "Capitan Kirk" flip phones came out I thought I was in heaven. It just fit in my pocket

NOW, in spite of the computer/camera/video devices, masquerading as a phone out there, I still use a flip phone.

IT FITS IN MY POCKET AND IS OUT OF THE WAY!

Friends who carry these devices seem to be forever getting them broken. 

At the price for one?

No thanks.

AH! Retirement!

:)  Ah, a kindred soul.  :)  

On 6/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

AH! Retirement!

Same with me. My flip phone fits in the watch pocket of my jeans. 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:52 PM, Alpo said:

Here in Canada, we don't make that mistake about who's head is on our coins. LOL

The new coins will have King Charles III as the obverse effigy, if tradition holds.

With our current Prime Dicta Minister, he may insist on his own effigy or some other deserving Left Winger as a starting point.

Our bills have different faces and reverses. They are of a long lasting polymer material.

new-banknotes.jpeg

You guys are gonna have a Spaniel on your money? Cool

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Pictures, Information, Temperament ...

6 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The new coins will have King Charles III as the obverse effigy, if tradition holds.

With our current Prime Dicta Minister, he may insist on his own effigy or some other deserving Left Winger as a starting point.

Our bills have different faces and reverses. They are of a long lasting polymer material.

new-banknotes.jpeg

An A## on each side!  Who'd have figured.

His Majesty King Charles III will face left as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II faced right as is our tradition:

king-charles-coin.jpg

Toonie_-_Front .png

On 6/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, Chantry said:

I'm glad I grew up before smart phones and social media.  Do something stupid in the 80's and before maybe a few people saw you did. 

Do that now and it show up on twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Farcebook and a host of other social media sites. Now you can be humiliated world wide instead of maybe just in your school or town.

What gets me is how many people video themselves doing stupid stuff and then post it for all the world to see.

Archived