SASS Wire Forum

My next rifle. Decisions, decisions..

Michigan Slim

Soooo, I've squirreled away some cash. As I was cruising Gunbroker, I remembered the day when I really wanted a Ruger #1 in .270 or .243. Then I saw a Krag I liked. Then a M1903. Then a Trapdoor that looked pretty nice. Then a Ruger M77 in .243. Oh heck. Then Ruger starts making Marlins but not what I'm waiting for. 

LIFE IS HARD! 

Merry Christmas to All!

Just now, Trigger Mike said:

I have a krag carbine I got from the cmp so should be legit.   It was one of their auctions.  Paid 1880 so add some for shipping and it can be yours.  Probably 80 for shipping due to insurance 

Too soon to choose. LOL. I'll be making a two-state sweep of my favorite shops next week. Appreciate the thought!

243 is a very nice rifle, but mine is a barrel burner if I shoot it a lot.
I opted for a Savage 223 single-shot  which is far more barrel friendly.
It is also a whole lot less pricey per round.

good luck to you on finding what you want , i commend you on knowing , im no longer in that place as ive bought what i had to have and have most of what i knew or once wanted , im into that ill know it when i see it realm , im not often looking so i know im missing some , 

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

243 is a very nice rifle, but mine is a barrel burner if I shoot it a lot.
I opted for a Savage 223 single-shot  which is far more barrel friendly.
It is also a whole lot less pricey per round.

I'm good on .223. We load our own .243 for Kaya so price is good there too. I had narrowed the choices to calibers we reload for. All 21 of them. Lol

I would opt for something in a caliber Kaya doesn't have. That way if she outshoots you, you can say it's and apples and oranges comparison. Otherwise, look to see if there is a niche that is unfilled, or could be better filled by a particular rifle. .243 for coyote, for example. Otherwise, I would probably be eyeing the trapdoor, personally.

I have been wanting a rifle in .308.

All I find here in SoCal are 

1. Tacti-cool PRS type rifles 

2. Semiauto tacti-cool rifles - Holy Cow are the prices high now on those things. :blink:

3. Way overpriced used guns

4. Gun clerks that just won’t shut the hell up about 6.5 Creedmoor. :lol:

I had a young man at my ex-favorite LGS call me a “Fudd”. I called him a “punk”. He gives me dirty looks when I go there now. :lol:

Im trying to decide on buying another bolt rifle for myself. My dilemma is between a 260 remington i found at about a $300 discount and free shipping, or a 6.5 swede at a $4-500 discount plus shipping. Both would cost roughly the same. Different stocks and finish. The 260 is walnut and stainless. The swede has a synthetic camo stock and cerakoted barrel is long throated in a modern action and  I can load it up pretty hot to match (with lighter bullets) and  outperform ( with heavier bullets) what the 260 Remington does, but not looking for that. We have several 270’s.

I could get another 270 for myself but Im wanting a light kicker thats a significant step down from my ‘06. Not a minimal strep down like the 270 is. And I have thought of getting a 243 but my dad in law I keep hinting about buying his 7400 in 243. I already reload for 260, and find myself grabbing my wife’s to hunt with more and more, so probably go that route.

I think in my decision making process, I have made the error of making it a process. Any reasonable gun loony knows logic and reason hold no place in decision making and that I should just get a 243, the 260 and the Swede, along with yet another 270. And since I own no Ar’s or SBR’s, or a 223 or 22-250 varmint rifle, I should fill those voids. Since I have no long range 30 or 338 magnum or safari class rifles, the safe looks naked. A Ruger #1 in 450/400 along with a 10 ga Marlin goose gun would go along way to fill the void in my safe, and in my heart.

And I am looking, have been looking for years, for a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 44 magnum with a 5 1/2” barrel, blued or stainless. Ruger catalogues it. I may end up with a 45 colt, but I will need brass and dies.

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have been wanting a rifle in .308.

All I find here in SoCal are 

1. Tacti-cool PRS type rifles 

2. Semiauto tacti-cool rifles - Holy Cow are the prices high now on those things. :blink:

3. Way overpriced used guns

4. Gun clerks that just won’t shut the hell up about 6.5 Creedmoor. :lol:

I had a young man at my ex-favorite LGS call me a “Fudd”. I called him a “punk”. He gives me dirty looks when I go there now. :lol:

Have you considered one of the scout rifles? Maybe you aren't seeing them out your way, but I tend to see them here in Ohio.

Knowing just a bit of your back story, I think when the punk called you a Fudd, you should've just smiled and said "you'll be lucky to do as much, see as much, learn as much and survive as much as this Fudd. It would've killed lesser men like you."

32 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Have you considered one of the scout rifles? Maybe you aren't seeing them out your way, but I tend to see them here in Ohio.

Knowing just a bit of your back story, I think when the punk called you a Fudd, you should've just smiled and said "you'll be lucky to do as much, see as much, learn as much and survive as much as this Fudd. It would've killed lesser men like you."

Ha! I like it! :D

Thank you. I will use that. ;)

Actually I came very close to buying a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 a couple of years ago and I kick myself for not buying it. I haven’t seen a Scout Rifle  since. 

I had this one in my hands and the price was $837.00.

https://www.ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/specSheets/6822.html

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I would opt for something in a caliber Kaya doesn't have. That way if she outshoots you, you can say it's and apples and oranges comparison. Otherwise, look to see if there is a niche that is unfilled, or could be better filled by a particular rifle. .243 for coyote, for example. Otherwise, I would probably be eyeing the trapdoor, personally.

Ouch! Lol. That's only funny cause I'm a nice guy! And it's true. And she's standing here laughing. And, well, just cause it is! 

Problem is she has most of them. 

Edit: Did I ever mention how spoiled my kids are?

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

GET EM ALL 

ya only go around once , and it is only paper 

Chickasaw Bill 

I posted in another thread sometime back about keeping certain body parts attached and safe. Still applies!:o

I was thinking the 50 Alaskan lever gun. :D

6 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I was looking at a #1 in .243 today and just couldn't do it. I'm ashamed of myself.

I wanted a #1 in 22-250 in the worst way, but just couldn't do it. I decided to have my old pencil barrel Mauser in .308 rebuilt into a 250. Best decision I ever made! Too heavy now for a hunting gun, but off a bench oh boy is it fun.

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

VO Vapen rifles are handmade by Viggo Olsson and his son Ulf. Only $820,000.00 per rifle. Cheap at half the price.

Saw a really nice #1 for 105,000.00. Seems like a bargain now!

If'n I was going to get inclined to a new rifle.. would be a RugLin 45-70, even though I have no use for one at all.
Trail Boss, 5744/Buffalo Rifle and 4198 all make for some very pleasant shooting light loads under 15 lbs of recoil in this beast.

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

If'n I was going to get inclined to a new rifle.. would be a RugLin 45-70, even though I have no use for one at all.
Trail Boss, 5744/Buffalo Rifle and 4198 all make for some very pleasant shooting light loads under 15 lbs of recoil in this beast.

I have a JM 1895 and a Pedersoli Sharps. Great fun!

A few months ago I bought a new #1B Ruger in .300 Weatherby. (It replaces another .300 Wby I had, but that's another story). i  Ruger didn't make very many in that caliber and I actually found it here in the classified. It was new & unfired in the factory box with a really nice piece of walnut on it too. Got it for a great price too.

Mounted a Leupold VXIII 4 x 14 on it and got it shooting really well. Hunted elk and deer with it last month. Shot a nice 4x4 buck with it that is shown on another post.

Always wanted a #1 and finally got one.

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

Ever since I started CAS back in 2005, I wanted a Rossi Carbine in .45 cal, 16" bbl.  I could never find one until about a week and a 1/2 ago online at a gun store in Vancouver. I ordered it the second I saw it. and it arrived two days ago.  It only weighs 5.1 lbs.  I haven't fired it yet due to Christmas activities and tonight the temp is going down to -40F.  Since it only holds 8 rds, and I don't compete for time anymore,  I go for clean stages will try it out at a CAS match and load two from my vest pocket.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Ever since I started CAS back in 2005, I wanted a Rossi Carbine in .45 cal, 16" bbl.  I could never find one until about a week and a 1/2 ago online at a gun store in Vancouver. I ordered it the second I saw it. and it arrived two days ago.  It only weighs 5.1 lbs.  I haven't fired it yet due to Christmas activities and tonight the temp is going down to -40F.  Since it only holds 8 rds, and I don't compete for time anymore,  I go for clean stages will try it out at a CAS match and load two from my vest pocket.

I wonder if you loaded .45Cowboy Special if 10 would fit?

36 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I would be more inclined to ask will it feed the shorter cartages ? without jamming 

Chickasaw Bill 

That's kind of what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

I wonder if you loaded .45Cowboy Special if 10 would fit?

The extra 10 secondsto reload two rounds really doesn't matter to me as I'm just out to play cowboy but, appreciate your comment.

Archived