Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Deringers


Tequila Tony
 Share

Recommended Posts

Howdy y'all,

 

Last year I picked up a Bond Arm's Texas Defender in 357/38 for SASS side matches.

 

I would like to acquire a back-up deringer, but I am looking for an authentic Remington model.


Any suggestions on what reproductions to buy, or is anyone selling an authentic one?

 

If you are selling one, feel free to email me at spartanthunder@hotmail.com

 

Tequila Tony-

Edited by Tequila Tony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hinge area on originals was so weak that most failed right there after a few years of openings and closings.

 

The reproductions that I have heard and read about share most of the same design flaws. 

 

You will NOT need a backup to the Bond.  They are almost impossible to wear out or damage   If you want a smaller one for dress, that's your decision.

 

good luck, GJ

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tommy Reb said:

Hello Tony.  American Derringer is a lot closer to the Remington and very well made.  http://www.amderringer.com/

I just missed out on one over at Gunbroker :(

6 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The hinge area on originals was so weak that most failed right there after a few years of openings and closings.

 

The reproductions that I have heard and read about share most of the same design flaws. 

 

You will NOT need a backup to the Bond.  They are almost impossible to wear out or damage   If you want a smaller one for dress, that's your decision.

 

good luck, GJ

I still want a back-up.

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP, It is a bad idea to put your email address or phone number in a WTB add.  Bad people surf web forums like ours looking for this.  Then they search the web and find a picture of what you are looking for and send it to you like they have it for sale.  Once you send the money you never hear from them again.  At least with a PM you stand a chance of knowing if they have a presence on the forum and can see how long they have been a member.  Just my two cents.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The hinge area on originals was so weak that most failed right there after a few years of openings and closings. - GJ

 

 

The broken hinges, especially the left hand one were due to people flipping the barrels open hard repeatedly.  The left-hand hinge is weaker due to the hinge being counterbored to accept the head of he screw.  IF you want an original and intend to shoot it, I strongly recommend you buy one with, 1) the address on the top of the barrels is: "Remington Arms - UMC, Illion, N.Y." ; 2) with hinges that  are NOT undercut even partially on the underside of the hinge (so-called "monobloc"; which 3) will have a serial number beginning with an L prefix (probably L9XXXX.  I would recommend against shooting the Dixie Gun Works .41 RF ammo, as that ammo chronographed against some original Remington smokeless loads was significantly higher velocity.  

Good luck. Stay well and safe!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

OP, It is a bad idea to put your email address or phone number in a WTB add.  Bad people surf web forums like ours looking for this.  Then they search the web and find a picture of what you are looking for and send it to you like they have it for sale.  Once you send the money you never hear from them again.  At least with a PM you stand a chance of knowing if they have a presence on the forum and can see how long they have been a member.  Just my two cents.

I used my back up email address.

I work in Silicon Valley cyber security.

Ain't nobodys fool, pardn'a ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The broken hinges, especially the left hand one were due to people flipping the barrels open hard repeatedly.  The left-hand hinge is weaker due to the hinge being counterbored to accept the head of he screw.  IF you want an original and intend to shoot it, I strongly recommend you buy one with, 1) the address on the top of the barrels is: "Remington Arms - UMC, Illion, N.Y." ; 2) with hinges that  are NOT undercut even partially on the underside of the hinge (so-called "monobloc"; which 3) will have a serial number beginning with an L prefix (probably L9XXXX.  I would recommend against shooting the Dixie Gun Works .41 RF ammo, as that ammo chronographed against some original Remington smokeless loads was significantly higher velocity.  

Good luck. Stay well and safe!

Good info, pard! Thx :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep watching Gunbroker and be patient.  American Derringers show up there fairly often.  I scored an American Derringer Model One there for less than $350 a few months ago.  Nice little gun, fun with .38 black powder loads but I'm not brave enough to try full-house .357 Magnum ammo...yet.  :o

 

Good luck!

 

Jackalope

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Model 1 American Derringer in .45 Colt.  It was used often as part of stages at numerous SASS matches over the years. Literally hundreds of cowboy rounds through it and it’s still going strong. I also carry it in places where I want nobody to know I’m armed.  For those occasions I load it with Hornady Critical Defense.  I’ve tested the round extensively in the derringer and it shoots great with no apparent negative effects to the gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They way I heard it is Bond used to work for the owner of American derringer when he died his wife took over the business. Bond had a disagreement with the new management and quit  and started Bond arms. The designs (other than the trigger guard) are very similar. Both are pretty much indestructible compared to originals.

I have American # 1 with assorted barrels which I made interchangeable. 

Good Luck Pards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny to read this post today. I was thinking earlier today about my Remington  Derringer and maybe selling it. 
I have the derringer, 2 sets of grips (one may be ivory, I’m not sure) and a handful of the .41 brass that you put a 22 blank into for a primer. I usually would put a pinch of APP in to make some authentic smoke!) they are kinda fun to shoot, but a pain to load for! You are never going to win a derringer speed side match with it, I think the hammer spring came from a 58 Buick! But again, kinda neat to own and shoot every once in a while. I kinda gave my eye on another project, so might let this one go. I’ll get some pics together and send to you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TT: I didn't know there was  Silicon Valley in Arizona.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2021 at 12:27 PM, Tommy Reb said:

Hello Tony.  American Derringer is a lot closer to the Remington and very well made.  http://www.amderringer.com/

THIS ^^^^^^^^^ I had one in .357, hardly ever used it and sold it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could always get a Cobra… :D:lol:… sorry, couldn’t get that out with a straight face.  
 

don’t get me wrong, I have one in 38, and a Davis in 22 (same as a cobra, but before cobra bought Davis) but I wouldn’t suggest one for anything other than ‘just because I wanted it and it was too cheap to walk away from’.  Comparing a cobra to a Bond is like comparing a hi-point to any other mainstream 9mm that has ever been built. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

You could always get a Cobra… :D:lol:… sorry, couldn’t get that out with a straight face.  
 

don’t get me wrong, I have one in 38, and a Davis in 22 (same as a cobra, but before cobra bought Davis) but I wouldn’t suggest one for anything other than ‘just because I wanted it and it was too cheap to walk away from’.  Comparing a cobra to a Bond is like comparing a hi-point to any other mainstream 9mm that has ever been built. 

I still got a Cobra in 38 spl. I bought that thing many years ago. Thought as cheap as that thing was I had something there, and besides you just can't help like the derringer looks. Probably the worst firearm I ever bought with a trigger pull of 28#'s.

 

I would like to shoot one of the American derringers though. Seems people on here talk pretty good about them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

TT: I didn't know there was  Silicon Valley in Arizona.

And you obviously have never heard of a virtual remote workforce either, it appears.

 

Google it, pardy.

 

It's all the rage ..lol.

Edited by Tequila Tony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I've been working from home for the last 15 years. The only virtual part is my website.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The American Derringer is a little beefier copy of the original Remington.  Here are three American Derringers (.22lr, 32-20 & .357/.38 spl) next to an original Remington in .41rf.

E24B9244-547D-440D-94E2-F2A5B647F968.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my Derringer.  Right side view....

410641246_DerringerRight.thumb.jpg.c3185ebf9ec809d30c48748d3392a757.jpg

As you can see it's a very close copy of the original Remington.

Here's the right side view.

97904595_DerringerLeft.thumb.jpg.1238c1efdcda3db17f0670a8d0b4edc2.jpg

 

Here you can see the major difference; the safety.  It actually works, but I never use it. :)

 

As you can see it's an RG17 .38 Special.  I know RG has a bad reputation based on some of the really crappy revolvers they made, but this is actually a pretty decent pistol.   And it's quite surprisingly accurate.  I've on occasion run .38 Shorts in it, and they do not hurt the accuracy any.   The trigger, for a derringer, is actually not bad.   Never had to have any work done to it, and I really like it.   My father bought this when I was a kid.  Don't know where he got it, if it was new or used, or how much it cost.   All I can say is that if I found another one in a desirable caliber and a decent price, I'd buy it.


 

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used to have one made by Saur, with a crossbolt safety, in .357 Magnum.  Packed it around in Montana with the top barrel loaded with shot loads for snakes, and the bottom one with .38 Spl 200 gr. for skunks or other critters.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.