SASS Wire Forum

giraffes

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Watching Hatari and noticed something interesting, something I hadn't seen in all the years and times I've seen that movie.

For all their awkward looks giraffes are the smoothest runners I've ever seen.  At full speed the angle from the tail to the top of the head doesn't change more than a degree or two and the head almost never leaves the same plane by more than a couple of inches.  The legs are churning away about like I'd expect, but none of that action translates into movement above the belly.

Could be the natural gait.  When walking the right legs move together and the left legs move together.  When running the front legs move together and the hind legs move together.  However the works it results in one very smooth and strangely graceful sight.

Go figure.

Not only is a giraffe’s gait interesting, but so is their physiology.  A giraffe’s heart produces very high blood pressure, about 300 (human normal 130) in order to get blood pumped all the way up to the brain. Researchers are trying to figure out how they can maintain such high blood pressure without damaging other organs, which would happen in a human with blood pressure that high.

OK, now SWMBO and I will have to watch it again.

I can see a Duke marathon in our near future.

(Is that a Bad Thing?)

Dad had a '39 Plymouth pick-up.  My brothers, friends and I spent most of a summer catching giraffes and rhinos from its front fenders after seeing Hatari.  Nobody wanted to be Pockets and have to drive.

P.S.  The giraffes and rhinos were imaginary.  None to be found in Hermiston.

51 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Dad had a '39 Plymouth pick-up.  My brothers, friends and I spent most of a summer catching giraffes and rhinos from its front fenders after seeing Hatari.  Nobody wanted to be Pockets and have to drive.

P.S.  The giraffes and rhinos were imaginary.  None to be found in Hermiston.

Good thing that imaginary rhino didn't add any dents. :D

Sometimes, seeing is believing. :o

And to tug at your heart strings....

I was impressed by there kicking ability.  It is said that a single kick can be fatal to a lion.

I dig the giraffes! What about Red Buttons dancing??  That’s smooth as silk too!

I watch Hatari for the Jeeps too!! I’ve owned almost every Jeep in the movie, except the CJ6!! There are more CJ6s than I have ever seen, and I’ve never ridden in or worked on one!

I ain’t afraid to say the female pulchritude is most pleasant too!!

:lol:

On 1/7/2020 at 9:22 PM, Texas Lizard said:

What the elephants?????   

Texas Lizard

Nope! Those neither! :D

Giraffes stalk their food.

When we think of plant eaters, we generally don’t think of creatures that actively stalk their prey, but in the case of giraffes there is distinct methodology to how the giraffe approaches and eats its food.

The acacia tree, one of the giraffe’s favorite plants to devour, will release tannins when it is distressed, which make the flavor of the leaves bitter. Other acacia trees in the area will detect these tannins and will in turn release their own tannins. To avoid having an entire meal of bitter leaves, giraffes have learned to graze against the wind so that each new acacia tree they visit is unaware that it is dinner until it is too late.

Archived