SASS Wire Forum

Life is getting just too complicated fer me

Utah Bob #35998

Watching the morning news I see there’s a Teal Pumpkin movement for Halloween. 

teal pumpkin is a sign that a house will offer treats that are suitable for any trick-or-treaters who have any food allergies or intolerances. 

Then I see the Blue Pumpkin idea. Not to be confused with the Teal Pumpkin, the Blue Pumpkin is to be carried by kids who are non-verbal autistic. https://www.kens5.com/article/life/family/blue-pumpkin-buckets-help-identify-trick-or-treaters-with-autism/273-610073016

These are both probably good ideas but the difference between blue and teal, especially at night, is subtle.

Fortunately 

I don’t have to worry about it. Haven’t had a trick or treater here in 13 years.

5D8D6BC9-10CB-4086-B5A2-F8C5D5D65595.png

Just now, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I thought that was what parents checking the candy was supposed to be about.

Apparently the teal pumpkin houses give out non edible treats. Like what? Lottery tickets? Life advice?

We might get ten kids at my house so I use it as an excuse to buy what I like. Two blocks from us they will have hundreds of kids trick or treating on golf carts

Last year we serviced 166 kids at our door.
I asked one kid why they bus into our neighborhood... "Cuz you give out the good stuff."
True statement, that.

I'll give candy to any age, as long as it is in costume.

2017-10.seasonal1.halloween.2014.10.31.3.colorpop.posteredge.720.sfw.jpg

It seems that the TEAL punkin is something I put in my yard, so that vegan lactose intolerant kids that are allergic to peanuts will know that it is safe to come to my door.

The BLUE punkin is carried around by trick or treaters, so that I will know they are autistic, and are not just candy mooches.

I don't really care if a big kid, or even a young adult, shows up at my door looking for candy. As long as he's in costume. Around here you occasionally have high school kids just walking down the street, and they'll come ring your doorbell and say trick or treat.

No. Not in your street clothes.

The main problem with big kids in costume trick-or-treating, is they might get shot. Several years ago, on the 30th, I responded to an after dark knock at my door. Push the curtain aside and looked out the window to see Beetlejuice standing on the stoop. I reached up for the pistol that was on the shelf by the front door. Beetlejuice saw where I was reaching and immediately started saying NO NO, IT'S ME. It was my daughter's boyfriend, on his way to a Halloween party, and his stopped off to show her his costume. He knew me, and he knew that pistol was on the shelf by the door, and when he saw through the window my arm go up he realized his error in showing up dressed like that.

And don't forget the Japanese exchange student - 20, 30 years ago? - who went to the wrong address for a Halloween party, and when he tried to force himself in they blew him away.

We typically get 200-300 trick-or-treaters. We have an old neighborhood street that is tree-lined and has old-style street lights. I once heard a kid trick-or-treating a few years back exclaiming that 'it looks like a movie'. 

So they come from all over. I'm with all of those that happily give out candy to those with costumes; and all of them do. It's fun all around.

I usually wear SASS/CAS outfits, which often causes comment. 

We're an orange pumpkin place.

The houses out here are so far apart, they don't do trick or treating.  There will be a trunk-or-treat at the clubhouse the Saturday before.   We will decorate the car and attend that. 

Bob...we both live so far from town and basically out in the sticks.....no trick or treaters out here in the 20 years we have lived here.

People in masks who are “out of place” creep me out.

I give out candy. If the parents do not sort it out I do not see it as my problem that someone might be sensitive to the candy.

I give out chocolates, mostly. I also add in little packs of Skittles or Starburst and I usually just let the kids pick out what they want. 

We have no idea how many kids we will get here. This will be our first Halloween here at this house.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

That's the thing about Hallowe'en-- they aren't out of place.

Red,

You are right, but Halloween is not what I was talking about. 

I mean that under everyday circumstances (not Halloween season or a costume party), somebody approaching in a mask IS out of place.

If that happens (again) it causes me to adopt, a defensive aggressive posture.  It stems from an incident in my adolescence.   I learned then that I’d never “flight,” but that I will “fight”.   It’s an unnatural fear, I suppose.

Cat Brules

I give out plastic Halloween themed finger rings, pencils and toy spiders etc, no candy. Cheap, easy to store for next year, dont make me fat afterwards.

Imis

Too far out in the country, none here in the past 20 years I have lived here. We have trunk-or-treat at church for dressed up bible characters who have to say a bible verse for their treat. Sometimes the adults dress up as characters and the kid has to guess who we are after we describe ourselves before given a treat. Also really big time in town where the stores stay open with the store fronts all dressed up and candy for the kids along with co-co or hot apple cider for the adults. Town really tries to give the country kids a really good time. Kids give up on the adults because we all end up talking and keeping up on the local stories.:lol: Of course everyone heads to the local home made fudge shop.:o

15 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Red,

You are right, but Halloween is not what I was talking about. 

I mean that under everyday circumstances (not Halloween season or a costume party), somebody approaching in a mask IS out of place.

If that happens (again) it causes me to adopt, a defensive aggressive posture.  It stems from an incident in my adolescence.   I learned then that I’d never “flight,” but that I will “fight”.   It’s an unnatural fear, I suppose.

Cat Brules

It’s actual illegal in Florida to be masked in public except on recognized holidays.

Archived