SASS Wire Forum

I Needed a Break, Now I Need to be Back

DocWard

I went ahead and took a brief hiatus from the Saloon, because I found myself having very little patience, and making a bigger deal about things than they needed to be. Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately for my ego, my presence wasn't needed. Hopefully, I will be in a somewhat better humor. I will attempt to avoid anything that might smack of conflict or disagreement, just to be safe. Not long ago, I took the step of just scrolling past political posts on my Facebook feed, and have even unfollowed a few of my friends there who post nothing but political posts recently. No, I have no plans to ignore anyone here, though.

I'm back because I decided I need a little normalcy and some place to vent and unwind that was notably lacking. It has been a busy couple of weeks, with a lot going on. We needed to do a fair amount of cleaning and work to our house prior to an appraisal to renew our home equity loan and possibly refinance our mortgage. I was amazed how much actually needed to be done that we had not noticed due to seeing it everyday. Fortunately, the appraisal came in far higher than needed or even anticipated, but there was some stress there.

Finally, and most importantly, I got a call on our home phone a few days back, early in the morning, before the robo-calls and the like start. Looking, I saw the number was from my dad's and brother's land line. Surprised, since my brother never calls that number, I picked it up, and it was their neighbor. As you might imagine, my adrenaline shot up. My brother had "fallen out of bed," and was in the hospital. My 87 year old father who has his own health issues, fell and was sore from trying to help him instead of calling 911. Turns out my brother was suffering from atrial fibrillation, among all of his other myriad of health issues. They were finally able to convert his heart to a normal rhythm today, but he is going to have a lot of work ahead of him, if he is willing to do it. He will be in the hospital for at least one more night, though. I spent a couple of nights caring for my father, and I am now way behind on sleep and work.

In getting caught up on some of the cases I'm involved in, I have a couple where I just want to shake parents and ask them if they realize they are alienating their kids. I left an appointment about one and actually needed to text my youngest daughter and told her I miss her and love her. She is bringing a sorority sister to Thanksgiving, because her parents have an issue with her being gay. That just capped things off for me in that regard. Edit: When my daughter asked if it was OK, there was no part of me inclined to turn her away, for any reason. Mrs. Doc feels the same way. Both of us are saddened by the situation, but grateful our daughter knows we would open our home.

So, yeah, I need to be here. I could stand a shot or two of Jameson's, I think. And anyone that knows me, knows that is rare indeed.

Sounds like some trying times Doc. I hope all goes well with your brother and your dad. I know how you feel on some things you see posted, here, Facebook or wherever. Taking control of how that affects you is key. 

Glad to see you back. Enjoy the Jamison, sounds perfectly appropriate right now. 

Glad you are back Doc. I wondered where you were. I hope your brother and Dad are okay.

Bottles, drinks are on me tonight...just use that tab on top of the pile. I’ll take care of it later...;) I know it says “Lumpy” on it. That’s okay... :D

43 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

"I'm back because I decided I need a little normalcy"

You do know this is the SASS Saloon, 'rite'? :huh: Where 'normalcy', is not normal. :lol:

OLG

We all have what we consider normal to us, regardless of how normal it may seem to others!

46 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I hope all goes well with your brother and your dad.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hope your brother and Dad are okay.

Thanks. I think my dad is as well as he can be, given his age and related health issues. He was sore, but seemed OK otherwise, even opting for his cane instead of his walker when I was last there. My brother's well being remains to be seen. The vast majority of his health issues are self-induced, and I have bitten my tongue hard to keep from saying "I told you so." It would be counter-productive at a time when he desperately needs support, encouragement, and if medically cleared, assistance. He has always had my back without fail, the least I can do is attempt to have his without being negative.

Most here know my religious proclivities, so I will simply say that all good thoughts and well wishes are greatly appreciated. For those inclined to follow their own religious leanings, your prayers are appreciated as well. 

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Welcome back.  I figured you were traveling, or that life was happening.  

Thanks. Happening more than I would like!

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It does have a habit of being rather interesting from time to time, doesn't it?

As my dad might say, "boy, howdy, does it."

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Welcome back Doc. Saloon is not quite he same without you.

Well thanks, I appreciate that.

From someone who has left the Saloon on past occasions, I completely understand the addiction attraction to the comradery that can be found only here in the Saloon.

Have a drink on me, I'll pick up that " tab on top of the pile " that Pat mentioned.

Welcome back, Doc!  Sorry you're having a spell of troubles, but keep puttin' one foot in front of the other and you will get through it.

My brother was released from the hospital today. Now, I fear the hard part starts. Keeping him from falling back into old habits, keeping him from doing things that are counter-productive to his health. All from over an hour's drive away.

Basically, this where it gets "interesting". We had that bout with my SIL back in Feb. in addition to my wife's cancer problem. For a while there it was REALLY "Interesting" to say the least. Stay strong and take it one day at a time, and see it through. We're here for you when you need us:blush:

Glad to see you back, Doc.  Hope things turn out as well as possible for your brother and father.  I can relate to how difficult that can be.  We've got your back.

Life is too short to get caught up in the drama of life, especially politics. The Saloon and Facebook aren't far behind. If someone irritates the crap out of you on Facebook or the Saloon, simply block them, and drive on. Makes for a more pleasant experience. So does three fingers of an adult beverage. :)

11 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Life is too short to get caught up in the drama of life, especially politics. The Saloon and Facebook aren't far behind. If someone irritates the crap out of you on Facebook or the Saloon, simply block them, and drive on. Makes for a more pleasant experience. So does three fingers of an adult beverage. :)

I've unfollowed a couple of friends on Facebook because I am just seeing far too much in the way of politics and other things I simply don't want to need to scroll past. As far as the Saloon goes, I haven't ignored anyone yet, and I kind of look at it as a failure if I ever do. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it does to me.

I think the occasional adult beverage can be a good thing too.

32 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I've unfollowed a couple of friends on Facebook because I am just seeing far too much in the way of politics and other things I simply don't want to need to scroll past. As far as the Saloon goes, I haven't ignored anyone yet, and I kind of look at it as a failure if I ever do. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it does to me.

I think the occasional adult beverage can be a good thing too.

No, Doc, just peace of mind. When I came back here, I immediately blocked three people that I have no use for because of history. It is not a failure, rather moving on from the past. I don't comment a lot anymore, but that is on me. I have lost the zeal for CAS that I once had, but I still enjoy the occasional shoot.

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

No, Doc, just peace of mind. When I came back here, I immediately blocked three people that I have no use for because of history. It is not a failure, rather moving on from the past. I don't comment a lot anymore, but that is on me. I have lost the zeal for CAS that I once had, but I still enjoy the occasional shoot.

That works for you, and I respect that. It is purely a difference of outlook. For me, I would be disappointed in myself for needing to. Just the way I am, I suppose. In my line of work, I'm pretty much guaranteed to tick off half the people I'm working with, both parties on cases and often attorneys as well. Often they've paid me money out of their own pocket to do so. Sometimes, I manage to make both sides angry. I figure if I can't keep things civil here, where it is actually kind of easy, then it is on me. Again, just a difference of outlook.

I'm crossing my fingers that I get too shoot more than just the State Shoot next year. If so, hopefully we can shoot together some.

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Got home from work and Dr's appointment this afternoon and left the TV OFF. Political commercial after commercial. Am really getting sick of it all. Even getting them on Youtube, UGH!:angry::blush:

Yeah, I noticed them on Youtube as well, and they wouldn't let me skip the ad after five seconds like some others will.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome back Doc.

I'm definitely with you on too much politics everywhere. I may have to unfriend my own dad on Facebook because of that :(

My sister is on my "next to unfollow" list. If I understand correctly, if you unfollow someone, you remain friends with them, you just don't see their posts.

3 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Got home from work and Dr's appointment this afternoon and left the TV OFF. Political commercial after commercial. Am really getting sick of it all. Even getting them on Youtube, UGH!:angry::blush:

That is why I have a DVR.  Allows me to record and watch at my leisure. But the best part is I can skip commercials and even better is skipping political ads.

I am told that whenever I let any person, place, thing or situation live rent free in my head, that I am not maintaining my own spiritual condition. It is never really about them. So I ask for help, it seems to work.

Imis

5 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I am told that whenever I let any person, place, thing or situation live rent free in my head, that I am not maintaining my own spiritual condition. It is never really about them. So I ask for help, it seems to work.

Imis

I generally agree with you. There's an old line that "forgiveness is giving up all hope of having a better past." As a Buddhist, forgiveness is an important key in ending suffering. When I forgive others, I am releasing a burden that only I carry, that is causing me to suffer. That was one of the reasons I took the break, because it allowed me the time to release the burdens that I was finding myself carrying. 

Archived