SASS Wire Forum

Well, THAT stinks...!

Well, THAT stinks ~ literally!

Driving along last week with Helen Brimstone when she suddenly gasped "What on Earth is THAT!"

Indeed, the interior of the car was instantly filled with a ghastly odor, reminiscent of an old wooden porta-potty on a wildlife refuge.

She started a "Nextdoor neighborhood chat" thread on the subject and had an overwhelming response, with most people wanting to know the source of the stench.

Well... it turns out to be exactly what it smells like:  several tons of composted human waste being used to fertilize an almond orchard.

I think I've eaten my last Almond Joy.  sad-or-frown-face.gif  sick.gif

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article220172040.html

I guess “the educated” have never heard of cholera, typhoid and other wonderful conditions that have been known about for 150 years. Morons!

Milwaukee Milorganite.

A number of municipalities produced it.

Processed human sewage is/was sold as a soil conditioner.

Left in drying lagoons for couple of years, it was ground to powder, bagged and sold.

My lab tech at our processing facility told me it was sterilized by the sun and was inert and odor free after a couple of years.

Yup.  Been sold for years for use on lawns and shrubs ~ came with the warning to NOT use on vegetable gardens.

I've known people who've used it.  Had lots of volunteer tomato plants pop up.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I can guarantee you that this stuff is NOT odor-free - you can smell it for a couple miles or more.  thumbs-down.gif

Not far from where we live a  tip truck had to brake suddenly when a car pulled out in front..the truck was loaded with  the human 'goodstuff which ended up not only on the cab of the truck but also on the car driver as his window was down !!

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I guess “the educated” have never heard of cholera, typhoid and other wonderful conditions that have been known about for 150 years. Morons!

Well, seriously, the composting occurs at temperatures that Kill bacteria. And the crap is tested.  VE ASSURE YOU ZAT  NUZZING CAN GO WRONG.

Geez ... I've been refusing to buy Mexican fruits and vegetables for years because of poor government inspection processes and reports of human waste used as fertilizer; now it sounds like I've got another worry.

Sorry; when it comes to this topic, I don't care how long it lays out in the sun; human waste does not belong in the food chain.  

LL

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well, seriously, the composting occurs at temperatures that Kill bacteria. And the crap is tested.  VE ASSURE YOU ZAT  NUZZING CAN GO WRONG.

Yeah, that’s what I heard, but I don’t care. Perhaps I am paranoid and cynical, but why is it when ever there is any kind of biological breakthrough, like in medicine, the list of side effects or malady sometimes over shadows the advancement. 

News item. March 1, 2028:

”Across the country we are seeing an alarming increase in the people affected by a new disease that confounds doctors and scientists all across the US. For now they are calling it “Eetschidtandie Syndrome” named after Dr. Eetschidtandie, the discoverer of the strange microbes that seem to attach themselves to red blood cells. These microbes add weight to the blood cells. Gravity acts on these cells due to their weight and all the victim’s blood cannot not be pumped easily which weakens the heart. It also doesn’t allow blood to pass through the lungs to pick up oxygen so the brain is oxygen deprived causing the victim to act odd and have strange almond cravings. 

One researcher summed up the effects to a kind of “crap rolling downhill” situation. Once the disease takes hold it is all downhill from there.

Another researcher says that once a person becomes “full of it”, meaning the Eetschidtandie Syndrome, they cannot remember anything and act as if they have $#!¥ for brains. Crude but descriptive.

We will keep you posted on this baffling disorder. We will now pause for commercials. We’d like to thank our sponsor, Blue Diamond! Since the new almond craze has taken over the country Blue Diamond has developed a myriad of new almond products from coffee flavorings to face creams. Try new Blue Diamond products today! 

;)

First human waste is recycled for fertilizer.

Next up...……....actual humans themselves! :o

That's the premise behind the 1973 movie:

1331231097_SoylentGreen.JPG.fe188538ba4514fc24deea10015320b1.JPG

SPOILER ALERT:

If you haven't seen the movie:

1269507697_SolylentGreenisWHAT.JPG.760e90a9b7346a8807543b2038c0ac66.JPG

48 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

punji2.jpg

Utah Bob:

This is pure Karma! :o

On an earlier post, I was going to respond with a tale of my brother and I getting in trouble big time; however, never got the chance to.

But your picture above :rolleyes: brought it back to me, so here it is:

When my father was stationed at Hancock AFB* - Cicero, NY, my brother and I used to play in the woods behind base housing.

We were avid watchers of 1039397097_CombatTVShow.thumb.jpg.f87dc2c97c2ab3ff533996a69d44bcf1.jpg on TV.

Soon we had it in our mind to build our own Viet Cong trap! :o

Yes, we actually got the square hole dug over the course of several days.

We hid our work with tree branches so no one would fall in before we finished.

Fortunately, the parents of one of the children who discovered our trap, reported it to the Base Commander! :wacko:

Needless to say, when dad came home that day, our butts were in very serious trouble. :angry:

We had to fill the hole back up ourselves.

Not sure if we ever intended to put the punji sticks in, but if we had, I would be typing this from my prison cell. :blush::P

*  https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/before_it_became_ciceros_military_ghost_town_hancock_afb_was_home_to_hundreds.html

Now if the poop (sorry) is treated enough to kill everything in it, what good is it as nutrient-rich fertilizer? Above my pay grade:o

I love the howls of distress as if this was something new.  The orientals have used raw human sewage as a fertilizer for rice for many years.

Local pastures have been top dressed with raw chicken/turkey manure, sewage sludge and solids from cheese manufacturing factories.  Frankly, the sewage smells better.

If you really want to freak, chicken litter containing inert biomass vegetable material and raw chicken manure is offered to cattle and they greedily eat it.  Good food for them.

8 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Not far from where we live a  tip truck had to brake suddenly when a car pulled out in front..the truck was loaded with  the human 'goodstuff which ended up not only on the cab of the truck but also on the car driver as his window was down !!

See, there is JUSTICE in the world!

I am not a farmer, the few times I came close to trying to grow any vegetable they all died, I even have problems with grass.   But I have driven by farming fields at the wrong time many times shortly after they had spread manure for fertilizer, the odor was quite noticeable.   Usually it was before the crops were planted any would be left to dissolve or be tilled into the soil.  The thought kinda bothers me, but I guess it's just an example of what what we don't know won't hurt us.

I have no issue whatsoever with "barnyard" fertilizers.

But again, this stuff is composted human waste - safe, according to the EPA.  Despite warnings to NEVER use home-composted human waste on vegetable gardens, we are assured by the U S Government agency that this stuff is processed, tested, and again... safe.

It sure doesn't smell safe.

But, I suppose we should trust our government agency...  right?  After all, this is the Environmental Protection Agency, not the DMV.  Right?  Totally trustworthy.  Right...?

By the way - this "fertilizer" is applied by spreading on the ground.  For those who may not know, almonds are harvested when the outer hulls ("drupes") begin to split.  The trees are violently shaken, causing the nuts to fall to the ground.  The nuts are then swept into a row, then picked up by a "harvester" and dumped into a bin or trailer.  This is a very, VERY dusty process, raising clouds of dirt and dust that can literally stop traffic when blown across roads.

Uh...  I used to really like almonds.  straight-face.gif

If you want to eat $#!¥ you go right on ahead and knock yourself out, Sunshine. ;)

I’ll skip that. I will also be closely monitoring where my almonds come from...or, I will not be eating almonds. 

I don't know what you are complaining about. EOT was at Norco for years and the berms were made from S#*t.  If we got any moisture it got pretty bad. One wet year some of the vendors ended up at the doctor for treatment from the stuff. some refused to come back over it.

Ok, lets clear the air here.... see what I did there?...

There are hundreds of municipalities that compost for public giveaway. But IT IS NOT HUMAN WASTE! It is the bacteria and protozoa that EAT human waste. It is taken from the treatment process as waste activated sludge (WAS), digested (either aerobically or anaerobically, then dewatered, mixed with leaves, wood chips,etc. Some add lime to kill pathogens (the baddies) or use heat (thermophilic). 

The purpose of digestion is to reduce the organics present. This in turn reduces odor and most E. coli, viruses, etc.

Michigan Slim

Trailboss of the Turdherders

26 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Ok, lets clear the air here.... see what I did there?...

There are hundreds of municipalities that compost for public giveaway. But IT IS NOT HUMAN WASTE! It is the bacteria and protozoa that EAT human waste. It is taken from the treatment process as waste activated sludge (WAS), digested (either aerobically or anaerobically, then dewatered, mixed with leaves, wood chips,etc. Some add lime to kill pathogens (the baddies) or use heat (thermophilic). 

The purpose of digestion is to reduce the organics present. This in turn reduces odor and most E. coli, viruses, etc.

Michigan Slim

Trailboss of the Turdherders

Most of the E Coli viruses is the troubling part of that statement, Slim. 

If we could find a way to get rid of the MOST in the post, it would be more satisfying. 

Sorry... if it still stinks a couple miles away it doesn't belong on my food.  :(

BTW ~ my son just finished nearly a month of harvesting almonds.  None of the ranches his outfit worked used this stuff.  

23 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Most of the E Coli viruses is the troubling part of that statement, Slim. 

If we could find a way to get rid of the MOST in the post, it would be more satisfying. 

We did studies upstream and downstream of the facilities I operate. The E. coli upstream was TNC -Too Numerous to Count. Downstream was fantastic due to our pristine discharge and moving water. E. coli is everywhere. If it has hair and craps, it has it. Our mom's was right. Wash yer hands afore supper!

14 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sorry... if it still stinks a couple miles away it doesn't belong on my food.  :(

BTW ~ my son just finished nearly a month of harvesting almonds.  None of the ranches his outfit worked used this stuff.  

I'd wager it was septic waste. 

I'm surprised anyone noticed in Clovis. My wife is semi from there (and several other places in NM). There are so many feed lots around there the whole place reeks like cow $h*t to start with.

JHC

Thank you, Slim. I appreciate that you do the job that you do, as I appreciate everyone in public works.

It’s a crappy job and doesn’t get the recognition or appreciation that is deserved. :D

Ha! See what I did there? :P

I think we we need to enact a Federal Law called “Murphy’s Law”. It should be the law of the land, especially when it comes to food, medicine, water and Constitutional Rights. I think most of you know the “law” so I will not expand on it. I will say that currently, the law as written and stated is seven (7) words long. I would predict  that if this “law” would become the law of the land that once enacted it would be 234,813 substantive words long. That is one word longer that HR-3962. We all lovingly call that bill, Obamacare. The reason I predict this is if something can go wrong with this bill, it will! And, politicians need to line their pockets.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park;  Nature will find a way.  I don't care how many safeguards you put in place; human error and accidents are BOUND to occur.  Good intentions are inadequate to protect us from disease and pestilence.  With the common availability of commercial fertilizers, there is NO reason (other than greed) to spread human waste in your garden/fields.  God save us from ourselves.

LL

Slim, Our water discharge goes through a UV tank before actual discharge. UV lights are on from April to beginning of Nov.. Of course we're not a large municipal system. It's built to handle somewhere in the vicinity of 250 homes( give or take):rolleyes::blush:

Archived