SASS Wire Forum

SASS, The Early Days

McCandless

746127691_JonahHexandTexWestEndClubShowdown1990.thumb.jpg.90c8ddf5764503beb76aba25f29b7e9e.jpg

Jonah Hex and Tex, West End Club Showdown, 1990 

1620116598_LottieDenoJonaHexandMissLilyCowtown1990.jpg.9a907ebbd522955dfbcc1033bcc96876.jpg

Lottie Deno, Jona Hex and Miss Lily, Cowtown 1990  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

1601545132_PinetopPeteChareltonHestonadnPaydirt.jpg.5b02196ce75a81698ee17b6b41009e24.jpg

Pinetop Pete, Charlton Heston and Paydirt c. 1989

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The picture is blurry.  Is that the real charlton heston, or was that someone'e alias? 

Yes, that was Charlton Heston.  The quality of the picture is what it is.  Not a lot I can do with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

569993798_TheWildBunchatEOTinAprilof1991.....theseyoungguyswereDiamondBarKidGeneralGrantJudgeRoyBeanTexDocBonesR.J.PoteetandHipshot.RIPDocBones..jpg.184ebe13eb0dd4c3af1a9c543bb57a06.jpg

The Wild Bunch at EOT in April of 1991.....these young guys were (standing), Diamond Bar Kid, General U.S. Grant, Judge Roy Bean, Tex,  and

Doc Bones.  (kneeling) R.J. Poteet and Hipshot.   (R.I.P. Doc Bones).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

639981682_RobinTBanksCherokeeCharlieDoubleDealerSanQuintonJoeWestCoyoteCalhounandgentlemenJames1.thumb.jpg.83499dffa69038a3062da953e6d31b69.jpg

Robin T Banks, Cherokee Charlie, Double Dealer, San Quinton, Joe West, Coyote Calhoun and Gentlemen James.  The Magnificent Seven. 

Founders and  Organizers if the Cherokee Cowboys and the Shootout at Mule Camp. 

734548646_GentlemanJames-(R.I.P.)andPatienceGalore.jpg.a19000ad1cf6909ea66f54b94dae2bf7.jpg

Gentleman James - (R.I.P.) and Patience Galore 

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 12:04 PM, McCandless said:

639981682_RobinTBanksCherokeeCharlieDoubleDealerSanQuintonJoeWestCoyoteCalhounandgentlemenJames1.thumb.jpg.83499dffa69038a3062da953e6d31b69.jpg

Robin T Banks, Cherokee Charlie, Double Dealer, San Quinton, Joe West, Coyote Calhoun and Gentlemen James.  The Magnificent Seven. 

Founders and  Organizers if the Cherokee Cowboys and the Shootout at Mule Camp. 

Robin T Banks, Coyote Calhoun and Gentleman James - R.I.P.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2019 at 8:22 AM, McCandless said:

1483504053_MarshalLawSASS854andLadyHawkSASS855circaearly1990s.thumb.jpg.3672ecb6fee4856a5ef6fa86b7e6b9a5.jpg

Marshal Law SASS#854 and Lady Hawk SASS#855 circa early 1990s.jpg

RIP Lady Hawk. You are one of the kindest and most beautiful souls I’ve ever known. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hey 

On 10/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, Ethan Cord said:

RIP Lady Hawk. You are one of the kindest and most beautiful souls I’ve ever known. 

Hey Mark,

Can you PM me the details, I'd like to send Bob a note.

Thanks

On 2/18/2018 at 3:48 PM, Jasper Agate said:

I have the pleasure of shooting with both Brazos and Dead Eye Dick up here in northern Nevada!!

Is Brazos the same as the late Bucky Brazos Smith?

These pics from the old days are awesome!! I only been shooting for year and half and covid took a couple of those months away. I really love this sport of CAS and I really hope our sport will continue on for many years despite the way things are looking politically and the direction this country is going. 

• Like 2

Not quite in the window mentioned, but too good not to post.  The Last Stand, in Florida; circa 2003... Lefty Longridge, Lusty Lil, Lead Dispencer, and FJT...

Cheers,

FJT

1933815_102641736415564_7342396_n.jpg

Edited by Frederick Jackson Turner
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

This entire article made my heart swell from all the memories and the greatest people ever, both those that have gone on beyond the great divide  and those still with us! SASS has and will always be one of the greatest parts of my life!

Thank you all for your contribution to this fantastic trip down memory lane!

Wes Terner SASS #36 life 

aka James Butler Hickok (first 10 years of SASS) former member of the Wild Bunch

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Wes Terner SASS#36 life said:

This entire article made my heart swell from all the memories and the greatest people ever, both those that have gone on beyond the great divide  and those still with us! SASS has and will always be one of the greatest parts of my life!

Thank you all for your contribution to this fantastic trip down memory lane!

Wes Terner SASS #36 life 

aka James Butler Hickok (first 10 years of SASS) former member of the Wild Bunch

Scan_Pic0001.jpg.6a5c589325d13930f9f78e63978e4c7d.jpg

You here?  I'm hidden, 2nd from left next to "Paydirt"

• Like 3

Griff, Oh my God! Was I ever that young! I am second from left next to Jim “Rio” Dunham, that picture reads left to right Carl Ontis (now deceased I believe),myself Dennis R Mader James Butler Hickok, Jim Dunham,Frank Leaman Texas Jack Omundero (deceased’s)kneeling, Paydirt? Then you,, last is Mike Devlin (deceased) Buffalo Bill) what a time we had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that's what I thought I remembered!  I don't think I ever met Carl or Mike, except when this picture was taken.  Never knew (or didn't remember), their alias's.  Yes, we were young!  And had fun!  I remember you and Frank made fun of my plain, undecorated buckskins... which they still are to this day!  Not as much as "Dusty Rivers" as they were also so clean... which they still are, mostly... but, they're a LOT tighter these days!

Hope all's well with you, and hope to see you again!  

Griff, it is a real pleasure to talk to you again like old times! We live up in the Panhandle of Idaho, Coeur d Alene, my email is sass36life@yahoo.com if you feel like dropping me a line! Almost moved to Texas (Pearson/New Braunfells) after I got hurt, but ended up here.  
best to you and yours!

Wes

Railhead Arizona 1990, from left to right:  Marshal Law, Ethan Cord, Ringo, Poppa Joe (RIP) 

image.thumb.png.a47b332e518122907615934df303779d.png

image.png

• Like 4

It seems so weird to see photos from the times when only a single pistol was worn.  Even more rare to see someone wearing their sole pistol as a cross-draw.  

Griff.JPG

Edited by Griff

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

It seems so weird to see photos from the times when only a single pistol was worn.  Even more rare to see someone wearing their sole pistol as a cross-draw.  

Griff.JPG

I personally wouldn't mind returning to the days of the single pistol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I personally wouldn't mind returning to the days of the single pistol.

Mighty hard to shoot "Gunfighter" style... ;)

• Haha 2

An interesting bit of information is my forebearers carried our revolvers in cross draw holsters. So did those of our hands that owned a gun. Most riders did that. I still do that. My only exception is a shoulder holster while elk and deer hunting.

ASFAIK, only Hollywood depicted cowpersons with same side holsters.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 5:32 PM, McCandless said:

348428215_PaleWolfBrunelle.jpg.7999f388d6988c8652a02ebb62fc1766.jpg

PaleWolf Brunelle, the early years... 

Tnx for the photo and for labeling it, but can you please be more clear... which one is Palewolf?

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Wow! great stuff and great memories!

SASS was a everything to Me for many years, ,till age and body wore out!

Great post! THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!

I haven't even looked at the Wire in years, so this was big fun...My old Pard Yakima Kid contacted me and am really enjoying the wire!

To all My Old Pards That still remember Me, Hope you are all well and doing great!

I miss every one of you! Best years of my Life!

Keep on 'Keepin' On!

Yer Pard,

Sixgun Shorty

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

I haven't even looked at the Wire in years, so this was big fun...My old Pard Yakima Kid contacted me and am really enjoying the wire!

To all My Old Pards That still remember Me, Hope you are all well and doing great!

Keep on 'Keepin' On!

Yer Pard,

Sixgun Shorty

:wub:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Keep on 'Keepin' On!

Yer Pard,

Sixgun Shorty

Hi Scott! Great to see you back on the wire! Are you still driving those Vipers?

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting Sixgun Shorty, he is one of the most knowledgeable folks you’ll ever meet when it comes to Colt firearms. 

• Like 5