Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

German Jim

Buying loaded ammo on-line in California

Recommended Posts

Starting next year, Californians can not buy ammo on-line directly from a retailer.  The ammunition will have to be sent to an FFL dealer where the buyer can then pick it up.  I read some where (I think in a Cabela's flyer) that the same is true of brass and bullets.  They will need to go through an FFL.  Does anyone know if this is true.  I know, I know!  Stupid laws, but I live here and have to live with it.

Share this post


Link to post

Would it be easier for somebody in Southern California to just make a road trip to Arizona and stock up and bring it back?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Would it be easier for somebody in Southern California to just make a road trip to Arizona and stock up and bring it back?

 

That'll get ya in jail right quick - specifically prohibited in the new law.  :mellow:

 

Remember, California still has inspection stations on all major highways leading into the state from other states.  These are ostensibly for agricultural purposes - every vehicle is stopped and the driver queried about possible on-board produce, and although it seldom happens, vehicles can also be searched.  Doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see the Sacramento Capons (thank you, Joe! ;)) expanding that role...  :angry:

Share this post


Link to post

Wow. I had no idea. 

 

I just read through the page that Springfield Slim posted.

 

What an absolute 100% bunch of crap.

 

Sounds like you have potentially three work-arounds.

 

1. Buy as much ammunition as you can right now, before the law changes, and haul it back to your home and make another trip and do the same. Then make a third trip if needed. And then a fourth. The ammunition vendors in Arizona or Nevada will love you and probably send you a Christmas card.

 

2. Start reloading. 

 

3. Sounds like there might be plenty of opportunity under number four listed on the page Springfield Slim posted IF you want to try to have somebody bring "their own" ammo in for recreational purposes while visiting California. I darn sure wouldn't openly advocate on a public forum they sell it to you while visiting but accidents have been known to happen and people leave things behind on the visit, totally inadvertently.

 

Depending on how this law is phased in you may have another year to accomplish your stockpiling goals. Unless you just want to be part of the red flag registered anti-communist state gun-owning community for your ammo purchases you don't have many options.

 

This crap would not fly in my home state, by God.

 

Safety for All Act 2016 sounds like nothing more than toilet paper to me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

- every vehicle is stopped and the driver queried

That's what I would call a Police State. Reminds me what happened in East Germany before we escaped almost on a daily basis.  MT

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

 

Safety for All Act 2016 sounds like nothing more than toilet paper to me. 

 

 

I wouldn't even use it for that.....sensitive area, yu noz....

Share this post


Link to post

I can see it now, instead of drugs being smuggled across the border, ammunition will be next to be smuggled. :o mt

Share this post


Link to post

This law does not apply to reloading components. Only to loaded ammo.

Many cities in PRK already had a mail order ammo ban in place. This stupid law now makes it statewide.

This was tried before and knocked down in the courts for restraint of trade.

If you live in PRK-order up NOW. I just rec'd 10K, CCI .22 mini-mags. this week. ;)

Have .308 and .223 coming in next week.^_^

OLG

Share this post


Link to post

Just one more reason to keep my tourist dollars out of that state!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Wow. I had no idea. 

 

I just read through the page that Springfield Slim posted.

 

What an absolute 100% bunch of crap.

 

Sounds like you have potentially three work-arounds.

 

1. Buy as much ammunition as you can right now, before the law changes, and haul it back to your home and make another trip and do the same. Then make a third trip if needed. And then a fourth. The ammunition vendors in Arizona or Nevada will love you and probably send you a Christmas card.

 

2. Start reloading. 

 

3. Sounds like there might be plenty of opportunity under number four listed on the page Springfield Slim posted IF you want to try to have somebody bring "their own" ammo in for recreational purposes while visiting California. I darn sure wouldn't openly advocate on a public forum they sell it to you while visiting but accidents have been known to happen and people leave things behind on the visit, totally inadvertently.

 

Depending on how this law is phased in you may have another year to accomplish your stockpiling goals. Unless you just want to be part of the red flag registered anti-communist state gun-owning community for your ammo purchases you don't have many options.

 

This crap would not fly in my home state, by God.

 

Safety for All Act 2016 sounds like nothing more than toilet paper to me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We thought legal marijuana, magazine restrictionsd and background checks for private sales wouldn’t fly here either.

We were wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We thought legal marijuana, magazine restrictionsd and background checks for private sales wouldn’t fly here either.

We were wrong.

 

Thanks, Denver and Boulder. Ugh.

 

:angry:

Share this post


Link to post

To the OP,

 

Stockpiling ammo might be your best bet. Heck, plenty of people in the country started stockpiling ammo as soon as president number 44 got into office and said stockpilers maintained that behavior for eight years. It's almost normal behavior anymore in today's climate. 

 

Thar ain't nuthin' the matter with havin' 50,000 + rounds of yore favorite calibers on hand. :D

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/18/2017 at 1:49 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

That'll get ya in jail right quick - specifically prohibited in the new law.  :mellow:

 

Remember, California still has inspection stations on all major highways leading into the state from other states.  These are ostensibly for agricultural purposes - every vehicle is stopped and the driver queried about possible on-board produce, and although it seldom happens, vehicles can also be searched.  Doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see the Sacramento Capons (thank you, Joe! ;)) expanding that role...  :angry:

So can 't you just take non-major highways into a state as big as California??

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So can 't you just take non-major highways into a state as big as California??

They all have  “agricultural inspection stations”.

Share this post


Link to post

Currently there are illegal alien and drug smuggling tunnels from Mexico into California. Next you'll have ammo smuggling tunnels from Arizona, Nevada and Oregon into California and THOSE will be the tunnels sought out and policed by California law enforcement because ammo is bad but illegal aliens and drugs are good for society.

 

:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

They all have  “agricultural inspection stations”.

So you're saying EVERY road going into that huge state has inspection stations?? EVERY ROAD????

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So you're saying EVERY road going into that huge state has inspection stations?? EVERY ROAD????

Every main highway coming into the state has an inspection station, there are 16 of them from Oregon to Mexico. Sometimes they wave you through, sometimes they stop you and ask you questions, sometimes there is no one there. Every time I’ve towed a cargo trailer through one of these stations I’ve had to open it up for inspection, I’ve had to do the same thing at a few border patrol inspection stations also. About six years ago I was returning from a buffalo hunt in Wyoming and had two 300 quart ice chests loaded with packaged buffalo meat on dry ice and came through Yuma, Az. because I stopped to see a friend and family in Casa Grande on the way back. I got to the Ag. Inspection station and they made me pull over into an inspection area and unload every package of meat, no reason given. So I did that and repacked everything and decided to take a shortcut through Anza Borrego desert north of Occotillo, Ca. and guess what? There is a intermittent Border Patrol checkpoint there and at 1:30 in the morning these 3 young BP agents made me do the same drill that the Ag inspectors had just done a couple of hours before. They openly told me that they were looking for smuggled drugs. 

Share this post


Link to post

Highway 88 does Not Have One The One On Hwy 50 is Not Open Very often im from Nevada and crossed With horses Hundreds Of times and Never Been Stopped With horses you get more trouble With states like Nevada And Idaho Wanting Brand Inspections

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, jack davis said:

Highway 88 does Not Have One The One On Hwy 50 is Not Open Very often im from Nevada and crossed With horses Hundreds Of times and Never Been Stopped With horses you get more trouble With states like Nevada And Idaho Wanting Brand Inspections

Hasn’t been the case a few times when I’ve come through.

Share this post


Link to post

88 Has Never had One  I Don't Think Hwy 4 Or The Sonora Pass does either on 80 You just Get In The Line That Says Reno Tahoe Returnies  And Also Thiers A way Around It Through Truckie Ive Never Seen The one On 50 Maned In The Last Ten Years

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So you're saying EVERY road going into that huge state has inspection stations?? EVERY ROAD????

Yes on every road but not all are open, but just wait the more broke California get thing will change

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Every time I’ve towed a cargo trailer through one of these stations I’ve had to open it up for inspection, 

 

Coming home from Gettysburg the guy at the station on 80 looked at me, looked back at the cannon, looked at me and said, "I don't know if it's legal to bring that into California. "  I told him that unless the law had been changed in the past few weeks it was since I had towed it out and was just bringing it back.  Then the idjit asked if I could fire it.  Told him to put it writing that he requested it and that I would face no legal action for doing so and I would be happy to fire a few blanks.  He thought I was unreasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post

Geez, how do all the illegals get in then??:o

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Geez, how do all the illegals get in then??:o

 

 

Simple - our last AG and Kevin "Ghost Gun" de Leon  diverted all resources to going after gun owners.  (and "Ghost Gun" a few months ago said that efforts to deport illegals would impact about half of his family).

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2017 at 10:49 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see the Sacramento Capons (thank you, Joe! ;))

 

 

My pleasure!   Fits 'em like a coat of paint, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

 

Simple - our last AG and Kevin "Ghost Gun" de Leon  diverted all resources to going after gun owners.  (and "Ghost Gun" a few months ago said that efforts to deport illegals would impact about half of his family).

 

Wish they'd start with him.  <_<

 

Actually... we might be losing the lad next year ~ he plans to beat Diane Feinstein and move to Washington!  :o

 

Don't blame us, folks.  Odds are we won't even be allowed to vote for someone from the opposing party.  :(

 

 

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

 

My pleasure!   Fits 'em like a coat of paint, doesn't it?

 

It do indeed!!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post

 I just remembered hearing something about California being a "sanctuary state"????

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

 I just remembered hearing something about California being a "sanctuary state"????

Yep. A huge number of those here undocumented operate cash businesses AND are enrolled in public welfare services on all levels. They pay no income tax, no property tax, very little tax of any kind but drink heavily from the public trough. Now they are protected even more because of the sanctuary state declaration. How do they get in? Drive along the Mexican border and see for yourself. It aint that hard.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2017 at 10:49 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

That'll get ya in jail right quick - specifically prohibited in the new law.  :mellow:

 

Remember, California still has inspection stations on all major highways leading into the state from other states.  These are ostensibly for agricultural purposes - every vehicle is stopped and the driver queried about possible on-board produce, and although it seldom happens, vehicles can also be searched.  Doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to see the Sacramento Capons (thank you, Joe! ;)) expanding that role...  :angry:

Unless the CA DOJ runs undercover operations in AZ or NV the chance of getting inspected at a check station is ZIP.  I lived until retirement in SF Bay area & since birth made several trips to South Lake Tahoe & Reno/Carson City annually.  I now live in northern NV and make at least a dozen trips a year to CA either via I80, I50 & Hwy 88.  The check station in Myers (South Lake Tahoe is only open during daylight hours on weekends, there is none on 88 and the one in Truckee waves all cars through that have NV or CA plates.  If they did random stop and questioning 80 would be backed-up for miles even when it ain't snowing. 

Share this post


Link to post

Good for you, J. D.

 

I haven't been through the stations in years, but have had to stop MANY times.  AND I've had my trunk searched.  

 

Not saying that "ammunition/firearm inspection" will happen.  But it could.  And with the current political philosophies of Sacramento I wouldn't rule it out.

 

As far as miles-long traffic backups... well, if you're from the Bay Area, surely you'll remember the "medfly inspections" on Highway 580.  Huge traffic stoppages, during summer heat.  Oh... and yeah, that was when Brown was governor the first time.  He's back... and loonier than ever.    

 

Non sequitur:  A few years ago I worked with a fella who'd moved here from Texas.  Stopped at the border, and the inspectors discovered he had a pet sugar glider on board.  The animal was immediately confiscated and he was told it was going to be destroyed unless he turned around and took it home.  He called his girlfriend in Texas...  she drove all the way, nonstop, to save the critter and drive it back to Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Unless the CA DOJ runs undercover operations in AZ or NV the chance of getting inspected at a check station is ZIP.  I lived until retirement in SF Bay area & since birth made several trips to South Lake Tahoe & Reno/Carson City annually.  I now live in northern NV and make at least a dozen trips a year to CA either via I80, I50 & Hwy 88.  The check station in Myers (South Lake Tahoe is only open during daylight hours on weekends, there is none on 88 and the one in Truckee waves all cars through that have NV or CA plates.  If they did random stop and questioning 80 would be backed-up for miles even when it ain't snowing. 

 

Around the 4th of July, CA has law enforcement watching AZ fireworks stands near the border and then radios the CA licence plate the see. The CHP then pulls them over. I know people that have been caught doing this.

 

They could run some random surveillance around Nevada and Arizona ammo suppliers and do the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

 

Around the 4th of July, CA has law enforcement watching AZ fireworks stands near the border and then radios the CA licence plate the see. The CHP then pulls them over. I know people that have been caught doing this.

 

They could run some random surveillance around Nevada and Arizona ammo suppliers and do the same. 

Back in the early 2000's the CA DOJ got caught surveilling the parking lots of the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno & the Reno Convention Center when guns shows were using the venues.  They might have been trying to catch CA residents importing standard capacity magazines right after Jan 1 2000 when the AWB that beget the bullet button & 10 round magazine law went into effect.  When this operation became public the police chiefs of Reno, Sparks and the Washoe County Sheriff told the CA DOJ that if they did this in the future they would be prosecuted unless they got advanced clearance from NV LE.  They may get a better reception from LE in Clark County; but would get a hostile reception from the current AG.  He who pissed off the Bloomberg backed gun grabbers & the folks at the LV Review Journal when he said Question One was unenforceable because the FBI declined to perform the background check it required for all non FFL firearms transfers.  Like in CA the NV DOJ performs the background check for transfers of firearms.  The FBI's budget doesn't included funds to perform the checks.  The NV constitution doesn't allow the legislature to change or repeal a law that is passed voters for 3 years.  The astroturf gun grabbers & hoplophobic journalists have tied themselves in knots trying to get Question One enforced.

Share this post


Link to post

Well if you are going to chance it pay cash for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.