2.  2nd Amendment

3. both

4. neither

5. evilness in mankind

6. all the above

7. none of the above

8. some of the above?

Number 5.

Just my opinion but I think something has got to be wrong in your head if you decide to go on a shooting spree.  Or any other sort of violent possibly life threatening spree for that matter.  Some things can't be helped, I mean if someone has a chemical imbalance or they are clinically depressed they stay on their meds, they get counseling and  probably shouldn't own firearms.  Then some people are just plain mean and stupid with the inability to control themselves.

The obvious answer is number 2 :blink: but my answer is number five.

Birdgun:

I haven't looked at it as 'mass shootings' but rather 'mass killings'.

There have been a few 'massacres by vehicles' the past couple years that are as senseless and ruthless as shooting deaths.

So I've often wondered, what has caused these 'massacres by vehicles':

1.  purely accidental

2. gas pedal was stuck

3. driver was drunk

4. driver failed drivers test and therefore didn't have a valid license.

5. driver was evil

..........Widder

I'm going to point a finger at Hollywood.  No morals in anything produced.  Then add the video games.

Barry Sloe

I think that much of this has to do with the failure to assign and enforce responsibility in the upbringing of our youth!  “It’s not your fault.” Is all too often the parent’s reply when little Johnny screws up!! Particularly when in fact it IS little Johnny ‘s fault!! This undercuts the learning of responsibility and sense of what is right and wrong!

Been happening for WAAAAAY too long!!

Black water, my friend, you again hit it on the nose.

This is added to by the prospect of seeing your name in print and on the evening news.

What Blackwater said.  When did we quit teaching our kids you can't shoot somebody just because they piss you off (can I say that on this forum)?

#7, none of the above.

These kind of crimes were unknown before we had instant world-wide communications, instant fame.  How many copy cat crimes would be committed if these mass shootings were given one line on page 5 a month after they occurred?

I can’t explain why some crazies want to do what they see on the evening news, but they do.  Mass killings will be with us as long as the killers get days and hours of publicity on international news.

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

#7, none of the above.

These kind of crimes were unknown before we had instant world-wide communications, instant fame.  How many copy cat crimes would be committed if these mass shootings were given one line on page 5 a month after they occurred?

I can’t explain why some crazies want to do what they see on the evening news, but they do.  Mass killings will be with us as long as the killers get days and hours of publicity on international news.

This

#5 sorta. Obviously not all of mankind is evil (at least to this extent). It's one of those things that is simply incomprehensible to a normal mind. The "authorities" seem to be lacking in answers as much as the rest of us.

JHC

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

#7, none of the above.

Freedom of the press I believe falls under the 1st Amendment.  So, now if we can just ban the 1st and 2nd Amendment we'll all be safe!

(Of course, J-Bar, you know I don't believe banning any of our freedoms is an answer.)

I do agree that all the publicity is contributing to copy-cat mass killings.

Of course I do not advocate restrictions on the press any more than I advocate restrictions on gun ownership.  Freedom is dangerous but better than the alternative.

We may have to live with craziness in order to enjoy our other freedoms ... a shocking possibility to those who are convinced that government should provide absolute security.

I'm going with 5 and 9.

5 because some folks is just plain evil . 9 is mental illness, aka bat**** crazy, and short of locking them up there ain't a whole lot you can do if their friends & family can't be bothered to get them help or report them as dangerous.

My boss and I were talking about this the other day. He and I are political opposites but agree on many things.

#5 is half of what we both agreed on. The other half was kind of up in the air. He tends to blame objects, not people, if you get my drift...until confronted with the point Widder made about cars.

My point was more to do with when you have a generation’s worth of unregulated “entertainment” on cable TV pumped into people’s brains their moral compasses and their self awareness tend to be screwy in those that weren’t wrapped all that tight to begin with.

Think about it, many shows available on cable now for all to see would have been “R” or even “X” rated a couple of decades ago. Did you know the first cut of Scarface (pun intended) was rated “X” for violence because of the chainsaw scene in the bathroom. They cut that scene and made the “R” rating. The stuff on cable TV now makes Scarface look tame in comparison. 

To answer your question Dantankerous, “No”. I just hid your post. :) No need to move it to Team SASS now.

Too bad I don’t get paid for piece work...oh, wait!...

I'll add one more, that is the topic of Mental Health.  It would seem that even mentioning mental health as an issue is forbidden.  The U.S. would like to put blinders on and that, by itself, will make all mental health issues go away.

BS

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

#7, none of the above.

Around the turn of the century, journalism became a business. Rather than a Fourth Estate which was dedicated to reporting facts it became a money making, powerful force able to influence the populace by printing stories that inflamed passions, appealed to the prurient nature, and manipulated an uninformed public. It continued to deteriorate into the electronic media we have today. The 24 hour news cycle that developed during the Iran Hostage situation and then the Gulf War has continued to slam us over the head with “news” every minute of the day. Scoop the other network. Get your story out there first and loudest! Do it immediately and worry about facts later! The more viewers we have the more money from sponsors. The higher the ratings the higher our stock prices. 

It’s no wonder that what has resulted is a society that less sensitive, more agitated and confused.

9 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

I'll add one more, that is the topic of Mental Health.  It would seem that even mentioning mental health as an issue is forbidden.  The U.S. would like to put blinders on and that, by itself, will make all mental health issues go away.

BS

+1!

• 2 weeks later...

The more that a news anchor Repeats and Repeats whatever Evil has been done, the more Instant Fame the perpetrator gets.

If the criminal's name was never mentioned again there would be many fewer seeking such notoriety.

There used to be what were called Unspeakable Crimes,

I think primarily because of the "Monkey See, Monkey Do Principal".

Now, I'll divert to a slightly different topic, and climb upon my Hobby Horse:

People who are suicidal, or at least are unopposed to deliberately harming themselves

HAVE A SHORTAGE OF THE ELEMENT **Chromium** IN THEIR DIET.

Many an antidepressant medication rapidly depletes the human body of this very necessary mineral.

This knowledge may be overlooked because just Trace amounts of chromium are normally needed.

Just one Chromium Picolinate pill per month will do wonders !

Archived