SASS Wire Forum

Winchester ?

Mountain Man Champ

I am going to a gunshow next weekend, and need some input. There are two Winchester model 1873 rifles on the bill. These are NOT reproductions. Can you make an original Winchester as fast as say an Uberti, or any of the other reproductions that are normally shot at cowboy action shoots?? Thanks MMC

Yes, several CAS gunsmith's do work on the new Winchester model 73.

Jared at Long Hunters worked on mine. I am happy with the result.

Yes, several CAS gunsmith's do work on the new Winchester model 73.

Jared at Long Hunters worked on mine. I am happy with the result.

Hey guys he said ORIGINAL Winchesters not NEW ones! :D

I have to go back to Bogus Deal ............ With enough money ........ and a Caveat. If your talking about an "original" original Winchester 73, EVERYTHING needed to turn it into a competitive CAS gun, will have to be custom made. From scratch. You'll need a really big bundle of cash.

If your talking about new manufacture Miroku made '73s, there are several current smiths working on them and some performance parts are available. Still won't be cheap.

If I were advising (well, I guess I am) my suggestion would be an Uberti. There are performance parts available everywhere and lots of good tuners to put them together.

Coffinmaker

And another thing you would have to shoot black powder out of it. I know some will say it is OK to shoot light smokless out of it but I wouldn't. Metalurge was a lot different back then. Just my $.02

Rafe

I would be very happy to see MMC become a BP shooter!!!

CS

And another thing you would have to shoot black powder out of it. I know some will say it is OK to shoot light smokless out of it but I wouldn't. Metalurge was a lot different back then. Just my $.02

Pardon me if I disagree.

While I agree that a large caliber 19th Century Revolver like a SAA chambered for 45 Colt or 44-40 should probably not be fired with modern Smokeless powder, rifles are a different story. It is not just the metallurgy, the chamber walls on a revolver are much thinner than the chamber wall of a rifle. It is those thin chamber walls that may rupture with an old Colt if too hot a load is fired through them. Rifle barrels are thick enough that the chamber walls are much thicker than the chamber walls in a revolver. While the lock up of an original toggle link 1873 Winchester is not as robust as the later Model 1892, even with steel well over 100 years old, as long as the mechanism is sound, and the rifle does not have too much headspace, I would not hesitate to shoot light Smokeless rounds in an original 1873 Winchester. The 38-40 Model 1873 in this photo was made in 1887. While it is true I never put Smokeless through it, I would not hesitate to put light Smokeless loads through it if I had to. As a matter of fact, when I bought it I had to clean out quite a lot of Smokeless fouling that had accumulated in it over the years. This Bisley Colt was made in 1909, nine years after the 1900 cut off date when Colt first factory warrantied the SAA for Smokeless powder. So I could shoot Smokeless through it too if I had a mind to.

Winchester%201873%20and%20Bisley%20Colt%

This Model 1873 was made in 1882. The lockup is tight, and I would not hesitate to shoot light Smokeless loads through it either.

Model%201873%20carbine-rifle%201882_zpsr

Not an 1873, but the upper Model 1892 in this photo was made in 1894. It was my main match rifle for my first couple of years in CAS, and during that time I never put anything but Smokeless ammo through it.

1892rifleandcarbine01_zpsde0960f1.jpg

But of course, I only shoot these antiques every once in a while in CAS. I did not buy them with the intention of being competitive. The pair of 1873s have had some light action work done, to make them a little bit easier to shoot, but I would not dream of shooting them as fast as a serious competitor does, (even if I could). I paid a bit more for each of those '73s than I would have for a brand new Uberti, so they were worth it to me. But it would take a heck of a lot of work and money to make them competitive, and there is no point with the excellent replicas available from Uberti.

I am going to a gunshow next weekend, and need some input. There are two Winchester model 1873 rifles on the bill. These are NOT reproductions. Can you make an original Winchester as fast as say an Uberti, or any of the other reproductions that are normally shot at cowboy action shoots?? Thanks MMC

I shoot two original winchesters, not much can be done with them, and if the timing is off, you might have a hard time finding somebody to work on it. I sure did.

First thing to do is get some new mainsprings, and grind them down slowly. I haven't found anybody who makes reduced power mainsprings for originals.

Second thing is to get some various grit emory paper and smooth/polish all the moving parts.

This is all I did and it worked for me.

Your mileage may vary.

Bp would depend on the year of manufacture remeber they were produce well in to the twentieth century (1923) so smokeless was the norm for over a decade by then.

If I remember correctly, a cowboy named Mountain Man Champ walked past me twice at Fall Round-up and stated that very firmly that he was now a Marlin man!!!

MMC, I have owned and shot three different Win 1873s in CAS:

Two were .38 WCF rifles, round barrels, one made in 1890 and one in 1891. Both had steel barrels and small parts, but had an iron receiver. Both were tuned but not short-stroked. I shot mostly APP loads but did shoot about 100 rounds of smokeless through both. Both were good for 10 rounds in about 7 seconds, fast enough to enjoy but not gonna be a winner.

My third 1873 is a .32WCF made in 1891. It is steel throughout. I shoot APP or light ssmokeless loads. The smaller round allows much more steel in the barrel and chamber walls. I enjoy this gun at one match per year. It is more accurate than any of my Uberti guns.

My recommendation is to find a .32 WCF made after 1890 and stock up on an extra extractor, lever springs and screw set. These seem to be the parts that will fail first.

Plus we have cookies.

and clean sinuses.

Two were .38 WCF rifles, round barrels, one made in 1890 and one in 1891. Both had steel barrels and small parts, but had an iron receiver. Both were tuned but not short-stroked.

Question: How do you know the frames were iron? I know the early Model 1873 rifles had iron frames, and that at some point the material of the frames was changed to steel, but I have never seen any information about when the change was made.

Thanks

Driftwood, a local gunsmith did a hardness test on major parts of all three guns. I am going off what he told me. He did a number of good jobs for me, including an original 1887 that seen a hard life and put away forgotten.

Ok I have to ask why? If your wanting a race gun for less $ you can get a long hunter full race rifle. If your getting it for the nostalgia then I would leave it as is with original parts the value would be better and you wouldn't have to gut it or alter any parts.

Rafe

Archived