SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army Article?

I recently picked up a pair of 7 1/2" ROAs. Being a persnickity old phart I can never leave anything alone so they are about to undergo a total overhaul. Parts for ROAs have become virtually unobtainable so this article would be a little different than the ones I usually write. It would be more about ideas since I would not be able to recommend specific parts replacement. As the photo shows I have already broken down one gun and am getting ready to dismantle the second. Is there any interest in a Chronicle article on ROAs? If I have to photograph the process it will take about ten times as long than if I just go out in the garage and start sawing and hammering.

P8290176_zpswsdebmaa.jpg

YES!! I'm pretty sure quite a few ROA owners would be interested, Larsen.

YES. Your articles are one of the few reasons I bother to download the Chronicle.

I have two that I picked up over the last year. Both are blued with fixed sights. One is a 7.5" barrel and the other is a 5.5" barrel.

Trying to decide if I want to shoot them or sell them. Your article would be of immense help in deciding if I want to invest the time. Especially when it came to obtaining things like replacement springs, different rams for reduced charges, etc.

Yes Larsen I would be very interested in such an article plus like I mentioned before I have an idea for a product I would like to discuss with you sometime.

Yep, lotsa interest in an ROA article.

I save all your articles on my computer, and reference them frequently.

Thanks

--Dawg

Well then that means my mods will take a while longer than I had planned and I won't get to shoot them as soon as I had hoped. I'll start taking pictures of the takedown of the second gun and take photos of what I am doing with the guns.

Well then that means my mods will take a while longer than I had planned and I won't get to shoot them as soon as I had hoped. I'll start taking pictures of the takedown of the second gun and take photos of what I am doing with the guns.

We want complete detailed information...You had nothing else to do, did you??

Texas Lizard

You can shoot mine while you work on yours, as long as it's not at Eldarado 😀

Curious, if you don't mind giving us a preview... What are you planning to do to them?

Look at the barrel in the photo. See that black mark? It won't be there for long.

Please do! I have also recently purchased two 7 1/2" relatively new ROA's. I would love to read your write up shortening the barrels. Especially if you are keeping the reloading arm. I am on the fence to send mine off to be shortened.

I will fully discuss the pros and cons of shortening the barrels in the article.

Wish I could extend my barrels...............

I don't have ROAs but wish I did.I like to read what ever you write.I have some 1858 SS that I like very much.They are 5 1/2" barrels that may get cut someday.

We want complete detailed information...You had nothing else to do, did you??

Texas Lizard

There's not a Mrs. Pettifogger so he's probably got lots of spare time.

Hey, Larsen E.,,,,,

Might I suggest, move that black mark some closer to the breach end?? You know, any barrel more than 3 1/2 inches long is just excess weight. Dovetail in a nice front sight, throw in the Belt Mountain "Quick Change" base pin kit and yer DONE!!

See!! I can be really helpful in the Morning when I'm Perky!!

Coffinmaker

Hey, Larsen E.,,,,,

Might I suggest, move that black mark some closer to the breach end?? You know, any barrel more than 3 1/2 inches long is just excess weight. Dovetail in a nice front sight, throw in the Belt Mountain "Quick Change" base pin kit and yer DONE!!

See!! I can be really helpful in the Morning when I'm Perky!!

Coffinmaker

Then I guess it's a good thing it isn't afternoon. ;)

While the ROAs that I have are for investment purposes only; I would be very interested in the articles.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

One of a pair of 7 1/2's Boomstick cut down for me.

5 1/2" barrel

lowered hammer

shortened rammer

brazed solid brass front site

Eagle Gunfighter grips

ROA_zpsbzqscyhe.jpg

This coming article just feeds the disease and the only known CURE is

5 1/2" barrel blues

Any Pards know of a Doc or Apothacary that has the CURE?

Amarillo Rattler

I will fully discuss the pros and cons of shortening the barrels in the article.

That would be great. I think having 5 1/2" barrels like my vaqueros would be great. But, I'm no gunsmith. The extent of my gunsmithing is knowing that a file is not needed to clean the weapon.

Is there any interest in a Chronicle article on ROAs?

In the immortal words of Warren Oates, "Why NOT!?"

:-)

:-)

Hey Coffinmaker, took many weeks but two of these arrived today. Now I can officially start. No more teasers, it's time to go to work. I suspect this will come out several months from now. I'll try to post a notice when I find out which month.

P9010214_zpsbe3gmwsn.jpg

Archived