SASS Wire Forum

"Some" Social Security folks can't buy guns?

Trailrider #896

According to Fox News this A.M. President Obama is/has issued an Executive Order restricting "some" (unspecified) Social Security recipients from buying guns. Discussion hinged on whether people "who can't take care of themselves shouldn't be able to buy guns"! Any other information on this. How will they know "who can't take care of themselves"? Or are they going to do a blanket excuse if anyone draws Social Security! Rumor or fact? Details, anyone? Do I hear the black helicoptors? :excl::unsure::wacko::ph34r:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Over!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/elderly.asp

FALSE, with caveats for dementia, etc. From a satire blog. Reminds me of the ONION story about the Harry Potter books turning kids into witches. Even when proven false, certain groups kept the myth alive for their own nefarious purposes.

Dusty, that Snopes* article is old, and addresses a 2009 event.

Suggest reading the July 18, 2015 Los Angeles Times article for more recent information:

L A Times - Obama Pushes To Extend Gun Background Checks to Social Security

*Remember who runs Snopes - it's demonstrably very left-leaning.

Well, you just can't trust us old SS recipients. Especially those with guns.

Just look at the headlines. Just about every century or so, some old geezer

with a 1860 colt goes off the deep end and shoots up the Mall. We need protection

from such rash behavior.

This nonsense is like having your house burning down and being concerned about

the oil spot in your driveway.

I did read the 2015 article and that is why the caveats. I think most people would agree that dementia and other factors should preclude access to firearms, just as other serious mental health issues should. And just because Snopes IS left-leaning, doesn't dilute its value in debunking various myths that get certain people all in a froth over nothing.

This is requiring the SSA to report recipients who 'can't manage their own affairs' to the NICS, which would stop them from buying guns. It's a smokescreen IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you're living on social security, you can't afford to buy a gun from a gun store (where they'd be doing a BGC), and especially not if you're in a situation where your payments have to go to someone else (like an assisted living center). I kinda think this is working the angles and he's still trying to force the VA to report vets who seek counseling to NICS.

If it is on a case by case basis, with a doctor signing off that a person is indeed incompetent, then I have no problem. It is already federal law that such persons may not buy or own firearms. If it is some faceless burro-crat (sic) deciding that because an old person falls for every sob story scam and can't handle their money, then no.

On the other hand, Social Security should NOT be involved in deciding who gets to exercise and enjoy their civil rights.

The link shown connects to today's edition, not the 18 July. So what are they saying? That Social Security will have everyone who is drawing money will be subject to medical eval before clearing NCIS? If I gave up my Social Security would that take me off the list? OTOH, if I did that, what money would I use to buy more guns? :o Seriously, just another attempt by O. to act without Congressional approval to violate our Second Ammendment rights! :angry:

'Rider, look below the headline - just above the giant "S" starting the first paragraph... byline date is July 18, 2015. ;)

I did read the 2015 article and that is why the caveats. I think most people would agree that dementia and other factors should preclude access to firearms, just as other serious mental health issues should. And just because Snopes IS left-leaning, doesn't dilute its value in debunking various myths that get certain people all in a froth over nothing.

True I always check with Snopes and several other myth de-bunkers on issues. Snopes, despite their liberal leanings, is pretty accurate most of the time.

If it is on a case by case basis, with a doctor signing off that a person is indeed incompetent, then I have no problem. It is already federal law that such persons may not buy or own firearms. If it is some faceless burro-crat (sic) deciding that because an old person falls for every sob story scam and can't handle their money, then no.

On the other hand, Social Security should NOT be involved in deciding who gets to exercise and enjoy their civil rights.

Exactly right.

Did I miss it or what? I dont recall any old demented people out shooting up the countryside. Is this really a problem??????????

Actually there have been some incidents in the past. No mass terrorist-type killings, and they're rare enough to not really be a concern. I would suspect the administration's "justification" would be suicide prevention or to keep guns out of the hands of those who would take advantage of those not capable of rational thinking.

But we're probably making more of this than it warrants. We need to keep a close eye on it and ensure our reps are but at this point I'm not overly concerned. There are bigger fish that need frying.

Actually there have been some incidents in the past. No mass terrorist-type killings, and they're rare enough to not really be a concern. I would suspect the administration's "justification" would be suicide prevention or to keep guns out of the hands of those who would take advantage of those not capable of rational thinking.

But we're probably making more of this than it warrants. We need to keep a close eye on it and ensure our reps are but at this point I'm not overly concerned. There are bigger fish that need frying.

Ever notice that most of the people who want firearms heavily restricted to prevent suicides are almost always in favor of assisted suicide?

Ever notice that most of the people who want firearms heavily restricted to prevent suicides are almost always in favor of assisted suicide?

Why is that I wonder? ;)

It is also interesting to note that they are not trying to block those same people from voting or driving. I would have to say driving would be more likely to cause death or injury than a firearm when dealing with dementia patients. As far as voting, when you can throw a whole bunch of people into a bus and convince them that the other party is bad and will cut out their benefiets, there is the reason they aren't trying to take that away.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-gun-law-20150718-story.html#page=1

The story from the LA times a few days ago. When it first happened to veterans it started in this same way. While I agree that taking your news from any one source is a bad idea, it is just as bad to assume that because it is on Fox it is wrong. The L.A. Times is generally a liberal paper.

I found this statement rather disturbing:

More than half of the names on the VA list are of people 80 or older, often suffering from dementia, a reasonable criterion for prohibiting gun ownership.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-gun-law-20150718-story.html#page=1

The story from the LA times a few days ago. When it first happened to veterans it started in this same way. While I agree that taking your news from any one source is a bad idea, it is just as bad to assume that because it is on Fox it is wrong. The L.A. Times is generally a liberal paper.

yup

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Snopes, in my opinion, can be found to be left leaning in some myth debunking.

"marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease”

"If Social Security, which has never taken part in the background check system, uses the same standard as the Department of Veterans Affairs – which is the idea floated – then millions of beneficiaries could be affected, with about 4.2 million adults receiving monthly benefits that are managed by “representative payees.” "

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/20/obama-looks-to-ban-social-security-recipients-from-owning-guns/

yeah, it is Fox News.

Why you cant read and under stand english is beyond me.

His statement is quite simple, the govt is responsible now for your finances, he can stop any one now.

Archived