SASS Wire Forum

Best Pistol Engraver for the Money

Charlie Bison

Impossible question to answer. "Best" engraver for the "money." How much money? What quality of engraving do you want? On top of it you want it fast. Quality engraving ain't cheap or necessarily fast. Period.

Howdy,

Id suggest you do a search on engraving right here on the sass wire.

This has been gone over.

Various vendors have many examples.

I have a couple things to be engraved once I figure out what I want.

If you are getting work on your match guns find a time when you aren't shooting

for it to be gone.

And don't fergit to come back and show us your finished work....

Best

CR

ASPEN FILLY Is really good and a GREAT cowgirl. She is a one stop shop. she can make your leather make your clothes sell you cool stuff engrave

what you want etc. On top of all this she is a super nice lady (Her husband aint a bad guy either) I can send pictures via I phone of my vaqueros

+ one for Aspen Filly.She does a lot of nice work for clubs also.

ASPEN FILLY Is really good and a GREAT cowgirl. She is a one stop shop. she can make your leather make your clothes sell you cool stuff engrave

what you want etc. On top of all this she is a super nice lady (Her husband aint a bad guy either) I can send pictures via I phone of my vaqueros

THIS, and you will never be disappointed in her work.

Give here a call.

OLG

I'm another one for Scratch, "Jim Downing", the gun engraver.

Here's another +1 for Aspen Filly.

Another thing to consider is they style of engraving.

Here's a link that shows all sorts of different styles;

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198

I handed a set of backstraps to Aspen Filly and said "make 'em purdy" - and I got what I asked for - the very next morning! I'm not saying her turnaround time is always that fast, but at this match, she was super busy and still managed to take fantastic care of me and my family. What a first class act! We plan on having her do a little bit on each gun every big match we meet up at. Not only do we end up with stunningly beautiful Vaqueros, but we have a great story to go with them.

20150425_073021_zpste4umj77.jpg

Filly did the same overnight deal with the 2 backstraps on my wife's :wub: NMV's.

This was all while, we and Filly were shooting the Quigley BPCR shoot in Forsyth, Mt.

She has her engraving studio/tools set up in her RV. ;)

OLG

Have to agree with Larsen on this, you get what you pay for, if it was quick and easy we'd all do it our own selves, and true artists like those mentioned above are worth the price.

If you are going to a major match where one of the fine engravers is going to be, and you know for sure that you want some work done, I suggest contacting them ahead of time to make arrangements. They do their best to accommodate everyone, but there are only so many hours in a day. I know Aspen Filly often arrives to a match a few days early and stays in the area a few days after to get work done for the locals.

Oh, and a +1 for Aspen Filly, a gifted artist and nice lady.

Grizz

I used Jim downing myself easy to work with does quality work. I did the grip frames one year at EOT, the next year I had the barrels done and finally got the cylinders done last year at EOT. It was less than tho hundred per gun per year it may have been less than two per year I cant remember for sure but I was pleased and get compliments when I pull them out usually the first time someone sees them. I took a breather this year but think I start the rifle next year, depending on shotgun its was factory engraved as I recall but that still leaves two shotguns that I shoot with the pistols usually my iac 87 and TTN.

Howdy,

The Ruger Bearcat comes with a cylinder that is sort of engraved.

What do you pards think would look good to engrave the rest of the bearcat?

Just thinkin out loud.

Best

CR

I have two guns done by Jim Downing. Hebwas very reasonable, quixck and artistic.

I havw also seen Aspen Filly's work and would not hesitate to send her a pistol if I had the need/want for more engraving.

Both do a very good job that is priced right for Ruger and Colt clone priced guns and cowboy action work guns.

The one thing Jim Downing has that Aspen Fily cannot match is the magnificent mustache.

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

Russ Zima of Denver. He can be reached at www.zimaengraving.com

He is also known as Russ T. Spittoon in SASS.

I don't know what his schedule is like now. But it is definitely worth a call.

B) He has done some excellent work for me [both engraving and scrimshaw).

Mustang

The one thing Jim Downing has that Aspen Fily cannot match is the magnificent mustache.

Uh, don't think we will go there Noz ;)

I had Jim do my guns at EOT, every match I've tried to get aspen philly to engrave something for me she wasn't able to make both times. I still want her to do something for me if we ever meetup at a match. I don't like shipping things out I rather coordinate ahead of time and have it done there.

I have had work done by both Aspen Filly & Jim Downing.

Both are excellent at what they do and reasonable in what they charge.

They have slightly different styles but I like both.

I tend to send more work to Miss Filly because she is more convenient

but occasionally have work done by Jim when I go to a match that Miss Filly does not attend.

Will post pics later

Regards

Gateway Kid

If I start growing a moustache like Jim's I'm in really really big trouble!!!! Roflol thanks to all my supporters for your positive input! I really appreciate it!😊

I had Aspen Filly engrave Miss Behavin's pistols and rifle about 3-4 years ago. Nice work, lots of compliments on them. Very Happy.

I just had Kelly Laster do my pistols. I left them with him at EOT this year and got them back within three weeks. He did everything he said he would do! And earned bonus points for over delivering :)

[/url]">http://IMG_1033.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1032.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1031.jpg

[/url]">http://IMG_1030.jpg

Regards,

Ringer

Archived