SASS Wire Forum

Bored with the World Cup?

I actually watched a bit at work. Kid I work with had it on TV. I decided 2 things about the World Cup.

1. It's STILL soccer

2. It's STILL BORING!!!!

Here's something more interesting.

JHC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwjBA2V9ShE

Not this year. Enjoying several of the games, not so much others.

Still too slow for my everyday sports taste, but good this WC.

Everything about soccer bores me! It's only a thin and thready pulse better than GOLF!! I'd almost prefer that someone rolled me in saw briars!!

I actually played intermural soccar in HS, not good enough for real football, I wanted to do something. Well, the only team we could play against was the rival HS from across town, and they had a girl on their team, everyone took it easy on her until they got kicked by her once. I don't remember doing that for very long, was doing mainly for a buddy as he needed an excuse not to go home to an abusive father. After it was established, we didn't show up for soccar much. :D The abusive father took his own life shortly after. Any man who would take a 2x4 to a child didn't deserve that easy an end but at least he was gone.

Everything about soccer bores me! It's only a thin and thready pulse better than GOLF!! I'd almost prefer that someone rolled me in saw briars!!

I'd a whole lot rather watch golf. Every player gets a score on every hole. You never know when or IF someone's gonna score in soccer!

I think both activities, (I refuse to call either a sport) should have paintball booby traps and snipers armed with paintball guns to shoot them as they move about. The number of hits should be deducted from the score in soccer and a stroke added for each hit in golf. Both activities are terrible wastes of real estate that could be used for shooting ranges, race tracks, and baseball fields!!

Perhaps some are intimidated by hand-eye or foot-eye coordination? (winky smiley).

I've been shooting the CA State Trap Shoot for the last 7 days (200 birds/day - Handicap 100 left tomorrow AM). Still enjoyed the US-Portugal game Tuesday night at the hotel, and actually began to see the strategy and playmaking, and anticipated the action for the first time.

It suddenly became quite a bit less boring, but still not my cup of tea.

Golf is not fun to watch unless you have played it - you GAIN the appreciation for what those pros can do with that little ball, and as pointed out, it's all on JUST YOU, every hole, every single stroke. No teammates, and no Rank Score bailouts.

I played intramural soccer with my fraternity in college. I watched when the U.S. women's team won a few years back. Otherwise, it bores me silly.

Played a bit of golf in high school and after. I can watch golf more readily than soccer.

I'm now thinking of George Carlin, for some reason. I can't post it... Just too much profanity.

I like watching good lookin women play tennis in short skirts.

How about Al Sleet, the Hippy Dippy Weather Man?

Howdy,

The objective of the world cup is to kick folks and see if they remembered to wear a cup.

Im pretty sure that's it.

I rather watch reruns of John Wayne and clean my BL-22.

Since I put a telescopic sight on my BL-22 I guess its a BLT-22, right?

Best

CR

ps Favorite spectator sport- wimmins beach volleyball, now that's worth watchin.

Peasants!!!

World Cup Football is a tournament showing the skills of some of the most highly conditioned and trained athletes in the world competing in the most popular sport in the world. They run for 45 minutes at a time, getting the snot kicked out of them frequently with only shin pads and cups for protection. There is no comparison in any "American" sport. They play in all weather.

Want to "kill" the clock? Can't do it. they add the time you wasted on the fake injury to the end of the game so you play for all 90 minutes of the game. Every member of the team is productive all of the time or he is jerked off of the field. You don't have the situation where 10 people on the team are only supporting cast for the one super star. Oh yeah. Once he come off he cannot go back in.

Penalties? You bet. But they have teeth. Two minor infractions (yellow card) equals a major (red card). Red card sits you on the bench and not just for this game but the next as well.

The game is run by one official with two assistants. Right or wrong on his calls, his is the final and only words on the rules of the game. there is no replay or committee overseeing his every action. The only stops in the action are for, an extremely rare water break every 30 minutes at the officials discretion or an injury that is severe enough to warrant carrying the injured off of the field. Yes, I know that the players are noted for their "dives" but that also is dangerous as the official can give yellow cards for "diving".

All in all it is a highly skilled game, that the sports equipment sellers hate because of the lack of necessary tools to play the game. You need a ball and a field or street or vacant lot or....... come to think of it all you need is the ball.

I know it is currently popular to be haters of the sport but that is only in America.

Popular? After the first week of preliminary round of the qualified teams, Brazil had already counted over 600,000 tourists.

Ever see mobs of baseball hooligans vandalizing towns and beating people? Any NFL stadiums ever get burned down by a mob? Hundreds of people trampled at a hockey game?

Ever see two countries go to war over a tennis match?

Apparently there's something about this Futbol game that drives people insane.

Avoid it I say. It is a vexation of the spirit.

It's also the favorite game of Al Qaeda.

Watchmaking also takes a great deal of hand eye coordination. :rolleyes:

Ever see mobs of baseball hooligans vandalizing towns and beating people? Any NFL stadiums ever get burned down by a mob? Hundreds of people trampled at a hockey game?

Ever see two countries go to war over a tennis match?

Apparently there's something about this Futbol game that drives people insane.

Avoid it I say. It is a vexation of the spirit.

It's also the favorite game of Al Qaeda.

My theory as to why Soccer fans act out so violently is because watching the game is so tedious. :mellow:

Peasants!!!

World Cup Football is a tournament showing the skills of some of the most highly conditioned and trained athletes in the world competing in the most popular sport in the world. They run for 45 minutes at a time, getting the snot kicked out of them frequently with only shin pads and cups for protection. There is no comparison in any "American" sport. They play in all weather.

Want to "kill" the clock? Can't do it. they add the time you wasted on the fake injury to the end of the game so you play for all 90 minutes of the game. Every member of the team is productive all of the time or he is jerked off of the field. You don't have the situation where 10 people on the team are only supporting cast for the one super star. Oh yeah. Once he come off he cannot go back in.

Penalties? You bet. But they have teeth. Two minor infractions (yellow card) equals a major (red card). Red card sits you on the bench and not just for this game but the next as well.

The game is run by one official with two assistants. Right or wrong on his calls, his is the final and only words on the rules of the game. there is no replay or committee overseeing his every action. The only stops in the action are for, an extremely rare water break every 30 minutes at the officials discretion or an injury that is severe enough to warrant carrying the injured off of the field. Yes, I know that the players are noted for their "dives" but that also is dangerous as the official can give yellow cards for "diving".

All in all it is a highly skilled game, that the sports equipment sellers hate because of the lack of necessary tools to play the game. You need a ball and a field or street or vacant lot or....... come to think of it all you need is the ball.

I know it is currently popular to be haters of the sport but that is only in America.

Popular? After the first week of preliminary round of the qualified teams, Brazil had already counted over 600,000 tourists.

Most of those sound like great reasons to be excited to watch marathons as well:

Incredibly well conditioned athletes;

Even the best run for over two hours;

They take water breaks while they run;

The rules are very simple-run, as fast as you can, for 26.2 miles;

Only seldom have people cheated, e.g. Rosie Ruiz

You only need a pair of shoes;

AND

You don't have to be a superstar to run in the same race as the superstars. You just need an entry fee. Finishing takes a bit more.

I think there is a reason people don't see marathons getting lots of airtime either though.

My theory as to why Soccer fans act out so violently is because watching the game is so tedious. :mellow:

They get all keyed up.....and nothing happens.

But I am not bored with the World Cup at all.

I'd have to watch it to get bored with it. :D

But I am not bored with the World Cup at all.

I'd have to watch it to get bored with it. :D

I'm right there with you.

I dislike soccer for the lack of scoring and endless running, heck Marathon runners run for a couple of hours and I don't watch them either. If you want to watch a non american game watch Rugby. I love rugby for the songs.. In England after a match fans go to their local Pub and sing some of the raunchiest songs you've ever heard. Great fun! Pint of Bitter Govner and a round of "The Harlot of Jerusalem" if you will.

"In days of old there lived a maid,

she was the mistress of her trade,

of ill repute

a prostitute,

The Harlot of Jerusalem.

Corus:

Hi Ho Kathusalem, Kathusalem, Kathusalem

Hi Ho Kathusalem,

The Harlot of Jerusalem

and that is all you get on this forum.

I dislike soccer for the lack of scoring and endless running, heck Marathon runners run for a couple of hours and I don't watch them either. If you want to watch a non american game watch Rugby. I love rugby for the songs.. In England after a match fans go to their local Pub and sing some of the raunchiest songs you've ever heard. Great fun! Pint of Bitter Govner and a round of "The Harlot of Jerusalem" if you will.

"In days of old there lived a maid,

she was the mistress of her trade,

of ill repute

a prostitute,

The Harlot of Jerusalem.

Corus:

Hi Ho Kathusalem, Kathusalem, Kathusalem

Hi Ho Kathusalem,

The Harlot of Jerusalem

and that is all you get on this forum.

Good thing is if you get drunk and pass out during a soccer match, you won't miss anything. :D

They run for 45 minutes at a time,

No, some of them trot for maybe 15 seconds at a time. Then stop and watch someone else wave their hands and yell to get them into a new position.

A few run for short bursts of 5 or 6 seconds. Then go back to the trotting or walking into position.

We need a new category combining cowboy action and soccer. Maybe we could shoot the ball after they kick it?

Archived