SASS Wire Forum

Bored with the World Cup?

The world Cup could always be more boring, it could be Cricket. I spent almost three years in England and I still don't understand Cricket, At least I understand what the goal and scoring is soccer.

Arguing soccer virtues with Americans is like wrestling with pigs, and we know how that turned out. ;-)

I am an unabashed fan of soccer, from lollipop to high school to the World Cup. I won't try to persuade anyone differently, but please keep up the creative and most humorous snark. It's good for much humor when shared among futball fans.

Arguing soccer virtues with Americans is like wrestling with pigs, and we know how that turned out. ;-)

I am an unabashed fan of soccer, from lollipop to high school to the World Cup. I won't try to persuade anyone differently, but please keep up the creative and most humorous snark. It's good for much humor when shared among futball fans.

Well, I know I'm going to bring the wrath with this statement, but I don't really care for NASCAR either.

Think I'll duck and run now while I still have the use of my legs...

Well Charlie, long as I can make fun of soccer fans, feel free to make fun of us non-fans. If you can dish it out you better be able to take it!

I was just telling my wife, we need to be recording some of these games. One of those 0-0 after two overtimes would be good to have to watch some nights when we can't go to sleep. That should do it! :lol:

JHC ;)

Well, I know I'm going to bring the wrath with this statement, but I don't really care for NASCAR either.

With ya on NASCRAP, Doc.

I used to absolutely Love It when it when the SC in the name stood for "Stock Car"!

It has become the WWF of racing...(frowny)

With ya on NASCRAP, Doc.

I used to absolutely Love It when it when the SC in the name stood for "Stock Car"!

It has become the WWF of racing...(frowny)

Harvey! You ain't that old!

In case you didn't know, they haven't been anywhere close to stock since the late fifties. Now they're just a little more refined. At least they look something like a real car, unlike F1 and whatever they're calling Indy cars these days! The outcome of a NASCAR race is far less predictable than those other guys too. The folks driving a Car in NASCAR are indeed athletes, many of them having competed in triathlons and the like as well as being successful high school and college athletes, some receiving scholarships. Some of 'em are even scratch golfers! And why is it that most F1 and Indy car drivers are far less successful when they decide to try NASCAR, as are stars from the stick and ball sports.

WWF my posterior!!! <_<<_<:lol:

Peasants!!!

World Cup Football is a tournament showing the skills of some of the most highly conditioned and trained athletes in the world competing in the most popular sport in the world. They run for 45 minutes at a time, getting the snot kicked out of them frequently with only shin pads and cups for protection. There is no comparison in any "American" sport. They play in all weather.

Want to "kill" the clock? Can't do it. they add the time you wasted on the fake injury to the end of the game so you play for all 90 minutes of the game. Every member of the team is productive all of the time or he is jerked off of the field. You don't have the situation where 10 people on the team are only supporting cast for the one super star. Oh yeah. Once he come off he cannot go back in.

Penalties? You bet. But they have teeth. Two minor infractions (yellow card) equals a major (red card). Red card sits you on the bench and not just for this game but the next as well.

The game is run by one official with two assistants. Right or wrong on his calls, his is the final and only words on the rules of the game. there is no replay or committee overseeing his every action. The only stops in the action are for, an extremely rare water break every 30 minutes at the officials discretion or an injury that is severe enough to warrant carrying the injured off of the field. Yes, I know that the players are noted for their "dives" but that also is dangerous as the official can give yellow cards for "diving".

All in all it is a highly skilled game, that the sports equipment sellers hate because of the lack of necessary tools to play the game. You need a ball and a field or street or vacant lot or....... come to think of it all you need is the ball.

I know it is currently popular to be haters of the sport but that is only in America.

Popular? After the first week of preliminary round of the qualified teams, Brazil had already counted over 600,000 tourists.

And half of those have been mugged or were trampled by the other "fans" when they rioted because their team lost!! :o:lol::lol::lol:

I don't hate the game. i hate that so much is made of it when it is SOOOOOO boring!! To each his own!! ;)

Harvey! You ain't that old!

In case you didn't know, they haven't been anywhere close to stock since the late fifties. Now they're just a little more refined. At least they look something like a real car, unlike F1 and whatever they're calling Indy cars these days! The outcome of a NASCAR race is far less predictable than those other guys too. The folks driving a Car in NASCAR are indeed athletes, many of them having competed in triathlons and the like as well as being successful high school and college athletes, some receiving scholarships. Some of 'em are even scratch golfers! And why is it that most F1 and Indy car drivers are far less successful when they decide to try NASCAR, as are stars from the stick and ball sports.

WWF my posterior!!! <_<<_<:lol:

Blackwater,

I certainly wish I were not that old, but my birth certificate indeed says otherwise. (Smiley, Har!)

IIRC correctly, NASCAR required basically stock engines and frames till about 1965-67 or so, then allowed some major mods up until 1980 (the musclecar era with Dodge Daytona and Plymouth versions with the wings - remember that controversy?). (Winky)

I think it was the early 1990s when the purpose-built racing frames and motors (not even the same manufacturer, necessarily) came in and the era of restrictor plate racing started. No relationship whatever to stock cars you could buy and modify.

PLUS (and this was the final nail in the coffin for me), they began restricting INDIVIDUAL cars, drivers and teams when they demonstrated a techology edge - that is FAR from racing as I know it, where BOTH the mechanical and racing huiman skills are honered - that is waht led to many advancements in car technolgy. That is exactly what leads me and a lot of other racers to say it is now WWF-like. That is what I meant by the comment - smiley.

I completely agree you are indeed spot-on about the physical talents of racers! I've raced motorcycles for 45+ years, desert, cross country, motocross, dirt tack oval and road race, and will place Motorcyle racers physical skills well above those that sit tucked in their roll cages, pumped in air and water and Hans devices.

Harvey

I'm with you on that, Harvey.....

Wash State Enduro ---- 3rd overall, 1965

Silverdale, Wash. Speedway, 1963-64

Graham, Wash. Speedway, 1964-66

Tulare, CA Fairgrounds

Gardena, CA Ascot Park, 1966-67

Ca Hi-desert--all over since then..... Yeah, I know, I was no J. N. Robgerts or Whitey Martino, but we had fun.

Like the announcer at the NASCAR race says, "Look, Larry-- I believe he's gonna turn left! And there he goes...he's gonna do it AGAIN!"

While I can respect soccer athletes for their abilities, I'll give the edge to rugby players.

The older I get, the wiser Dear Old Dad gets.

Funny how that works.

He said it well once, and I think it applies here.

"You pays-a you money and takes-a you choice."

If you like futbol, watch it, follow it, rejoice in it.

If you like something else, watch that or even participate in it.

Me?

I like the duckies and I really, really like that Russian woman making that pole vault!

Blackwater,

I certainly wish I were not that old, but my birth certificate indeed says otherwise. (Smiley, Har!)

IIRC correctly, NASCAR required basically stock engines and frames till about 1965-67 or so, then allowed some major mods up until 1980 (the musclecar era with Dodge Daytona and Plymouth versions with the wings - remember that controversy?). (Winky)

I think it was the early 1990s when the purpose-built racing frames and motors (not even the same manufacturer, necessarily) came in and the era of restrictor plate racing started. No relationship whatever to stock cars you could buy and modify.

PLUS (and this was the final nail in the coffin for me), they began restricting INDIVIDUAL cars, drivers and teams when they demonstrated a techology edge - that is FAR from racing as I know it, where BOTH the mechanical and racing huiman skills are honered - that is waht led to many advancements in car technolgy. That is exactly what leads me and a lot of other racers to say it is now WWF-like. That is what I meant by the comment - smiley.

I completely agree you are indeed spot-on about the physical talents of racers! I've raced motorcycles for 45+ years, desert, cross country, motocross, dirt tack oval and road race, and will place Motorcyle racers physical skills well above those that sit tucked in their roll cages, pumped in air and water and Hans devices.

Harvey

In all actuality, some of the late fifties and early sixties cars had substituted frames from earlier and other branded cars. Engines were already being heavily modified by the late fifties. The Daytona and Superbird cars you saw on the track were completely purpose built as was the Ford Talledega and Mercury Cyclone of that time. Famous cars like Junior Johnson's "Banana Galaxy" which actually was longer on the right side than it was on the left and looking from back to front curved around to the left, and Smokey Yunic's 7/8 Chevelle which fit the templates of the day but tape measured shorter, narrower, and lower buy inches, (Plural) than a stock Chevelle are prime examples of the length things had gone to by 1966. I'll add here that it was January of '66.

The incidents where you speak of personal restrictions were actually places where the individual pushed the envelope of the rule book past where the officials agreed that the intent of the rule book allowed. The same is done in all forms of racing and has been since at least the thirties as far as my studies can discern. The controversy last year with certain F1 teams stretching the rules on aerodynamics comes to mind. The onerous restrictions and final total outlawing of the turbine cars in Indy Car (USAC at the time I believe) are another fine example. IMSA's cutback on Chevrolet's horsepower and adding weight to the Camaro while allowing Rouch's Mercury Mercur to run a V8 that never was produced. I don't know the alphabet soup organization's name, but two years ago they forced the Corvette teams to cut horsepower of their engines to a level over 160 hp below what the cars from the dealership were available with so that the Ferrari's and Saleen's (actually not a manufacturer but a drop ship modifier) and Porsches would be competitive. You guys have been what we Drag racers call snooty to refer to NASCAR as "WWF".

I won't even begin to say anything about NHRA and the crazy rules they come up with. Suffice it to say that there are more "Memorial Rules" in drag racing than you could ever imagine and they are growing almost daily. All of the other forms of racing look down their respective noses at drag racing (they call us "Squirt Racers and the like) but we were the first to use active computer electronics and electronic and pneumatic controls. These innovations were soon restricted and some of them outright banned because the guys that created them used them to such advantages as to make the rest of the field noncompetitive. It happens in all forms of competition. It's just like politics. Everyone calls for getting rid of congressmen and senators, but it's always somebody else's congressman or senator that needs to go! <_<:lol:

OH! and the Daytona and Superbird thing was 1970-'72!! ;)

Think I'll duck and run now while I still have the use of my legs..

You're not alone. Also NHRA... and I have a close friend who is the director of their magazine and gets free tickets to dang near everything with a NHRA label on it.

I thought it was Nap Car! Turn on the race, take a nap and watch the last ten laps or so when they actually start racing. Before that it's just an endurance test.

I've been watchin good lookin wimmen in short skirts playin with Mr. Spauldings balls. (Tennis balls).

How many months has this World Cup Soccer thing been going on? feels like forever.

Is the end near? Either way, I hope so. ESPN will be able to get back and report on real sports. Women's Beach Volleyball and Baseball

How can a team lose, but advance? (A rule like this would be helpful for the Red Sox this year.)

Yul Lose, did you hear that the governing body for tennis says the players must be in all white? The women don't like it as the sweat makes their outfits almost see through.

Yul Lose, did you hear that the governing body for tennis says the players must be in all white? The women don't like it as the sweat makes their outfits almost see through.

I like to watch em sweat a lot.

Soccer is a 3rd world sport. The globalist are trying to indoctrinate our children and teach them to play well with others. It's like most sports, more fun to play than to watch. I hear the same thing about CAS. That game the Afghans were playing while riding horses in Rambo II with the dead goat looked like good fun until the Russians started shooting up the place.

Some peoplestand to make billions of dollars if pro-soccer gets a foothold here. The media frenzy over a game that the bulk of the American population cares noting about seems to bear that out. Like they say....Follow the Money.

I don't care if they play it from Timbuktu to Tikrit. We have enough overpaid pro athletes and fat cat team owners here already.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy NASCAR. I will never denigrate the abilities of the drivers in the sport, nor of the drivers in just about any other racing sport. It just isn't my thing though. I am awed by the sheer power of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters, but I can only watch drag racing for short periods of time. I must admit to being more a fan of the Pro-Stock cars when I do watch, and used to be a fan of Bob Glidden.

On the rare occasions that I find them, I can sit down and watch IMSA, SCCA, SCORE off-road and rally racing.

Someone more knowledgeable on the subject can opine on the accuracy of the following, but I found it interesting when I read it:

For all you NHRA fans out there A Definition of Acceleration

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of NASCARS at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 degrees F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds for the quarter mile (06, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 336.15 mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (05).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

A top fueler will out accelerate a Saturn V rocket laid on it's side and fired at full thrust! It will also out run an F18 catapulted off the deck of an aircraft carrier!

And even watching track cleanup after a catastrophic engine failure is far less boring than watching soccer!! :lol::lol:

The only thing I can think of that compares to standing on the deck of a battleship while 16" guns are being fired, is standing on the starting line at the US Nationals when two TF dragsters launch!! Your insides shake like you wouldn't believe and your lungs literally try to deflate! Until you've been there you can't imagine the effect!

And even Z Stock Automatic is still more exciting than soccer!! :lol::lol::lol:

Okay here's my short list.

Things I don't enjoy, care about, watch, or participate in. I don't hate them. I reserve my small reservoir of hatred for important things. ;)

So, in no particular order:

Soccer

NASCAR

Pro Wrestling

Rap music

Basketball

Religious debates

Liverwurst

Golf

Peppermint Schnapps (or any flavored liquor)

Skunks

45 Colt cartridges with smokeless powder

Base jumping

Energy drinks (which base jumpers probably drink too many of)

Well, of course I'd like to have seen USA win, but it is soccer after all, so will lose no sleep.

I've never seen cricket, but it looks interesting, being a baseball fan. We were in Antigua in Feb. and would have like to caught a game just to check it out, but the season had not quite started. :(

JHC

Well, of course I'd like to have seen USA win, but it is soccer after all, so will lose no sleep.

I've never seen cricket, but it looks interesting, being a baseball fan. We were in Antigua in Feb. and would have like to caught a game just to check it out, but the season had not quite started. :(

JHC

If you're a baseball fan You Will Not Like Cricket!

Imagine if a bunch of British lawyers in white wigs wrote a different infield fly rule for every inning. And that's just the start. And how do you miss a ball that bounced off the ground with a bat over 4" Wide???

Archived