SASS Wire Forum

How fast are you with your Rossi?

Buckshot Dobbs

So...here was the question:

Well I was thinking of getting myself one for a back up gun, and heard all the grumblings about how slow they are and was just curious how fast folks are that shoot 92's all the time are with them? Gimme some input, times, etc!

I'm still curious about them times...how fast are ya?

Phantom

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your a little slow on the draw :) I already edited out that comment. The 73 is no doubt the gun for the go fast guys no arguement about that

Well. It is a timed event.

Just saying.

You're going to have a hard time getting valid comparative times for the Rossi versus other rifles. The speed displayed by top shooters like Deuce comes as a result of thousands of rounds of practice with their rifle. Shooters willing and able to put in the time and effort to be really fast are not working with the '92 because the potential for competitive speed is simply not there.

You also will not be able to simply put a Rossi in the hands of a fast shooter and expect them to run the rifle to it's full potential; rifles are different and familiarity and skill with one type of rifle will not transfer to a different type rifle.

I was hoping someone would post some ten shot dump times just out of curiosity, but times by the "I don't try to go fast" crowd won't show the potential of the Rossi.

FWIW, I started in this sport about 20 years ago (I shot CAS for a couple of years before joining SASS) and there was a time that the Rossi was competitive. Lassiter shot one back then and usually contended for the overall at monthly matches. My son shot one starting as a junior about fifteen years ago and was typically near the top in overall results back then at monthly matches. The Marlins and 73's back then were not like what they are today.

Buckshot, do what you want but you're usually best advised to have your backup gun(s), especially the rifle, be an exact match to your primary gun.

I just ran 5 strings of 10 rounds on 3 12" x 12" targets 10" apart.The first was 6.03,two was 6.15,three was 5.98,four was 5.87 and five was 5.84.I sure am not a fast rifle shooter.I am sure that a fast rifle shooter would smoke that.That was the best I ever ran my 92.I did shoot 50 rounds before I timed them.

Buckshot,

remember, to help you know the exact time for the 10 shots, you must subtract the time of the very 1st shot from the overall time.

In other words, if the 1st shot on the timer registered 1.5 seconds and the last shot registered 7.0 seconds, the actual time to fire 10 shots was 5.5 seconds.

You can also take this 5.5 seconds, divide by 9 and this will give you your average SPLIT times.

You don't want to divide by 10 because the 1st shot doesn't occur with a 'split'.

Example: if you look at Deuces World Record run, his total time is 1.73 seconds. But, his 1st shot occured at around the .30 mark. This means that he actually fired those 10 rounds in 1.43 seconds.

Remarkable feat, no matter what kind of rifle he was shooting.

Hope this info helps you.

..........Widder

I also cheated.I shot it 3-3-4.

Buckshot,

remember, to help you know the exact time for the 10 shots, you must subtract the time of the very 1st shot from the overall time.

In other words, if the 1st shot on the timer registered 1.5 seconds and the last shot registered 7.0 seconds, the actual time to fire 10 shots was 5.5 seconds.

You can also take this 5.5 seconds, divide by 9 and this will give you your average SPLIT times.

You don't want to divide by 10 because the 1st shot doesn't occur with a 'split'.

Example: if you look at Deuces World Record run, his total time is 1.73 seconds. But, his 1st shot occured at around the .30 mark. This means that he actually fired those 10 rounds in 1.43 seconds.

Remarkable feat, no matter what kind of rifle he was shooting.

Hope this info helps you.

..........Widder

Well Widder if my Marlin will behave tomorrow, the Rossi will stay in the truck lol. When I shot it at an annual week before last it jammed like mad. I tried chamfering the chamber night before last a bit like you told me a few months back, and I will see if that helps. I am beginning to wonder if I need to take the ear off the bolt under the extractor because it looks like the round is trying to go in the chamber at an angle when it jams. Anyway, hopefully the Rossi won't see the light of day, was just curious how fast folks that run em all the time can run em.

Deuce any chance of getting your hands on a 92 and doing a speed run just for craps and giggles.

My wife shoots one and loves it. She likes it better than her SS Marlin and my 73. Best advice shoot what you like at the speed you can do it safely. Enjoy the game and carry on.

DC

Deuce any chance of getting your hands on a 92 and doing a speed run just for craps and giggles.

My wife shoots one and loves it. She likes it better than her SS Marlin and my 73. Best advice shoot what you like at the speed you can do it safely. Enjoy the game and carry on.

DC

Working on it, finding one around here to borrow is tough.

Well duece if you want to borrow mine just let me know and ill send it out to you

If I need to I can ship you mine. It's very smooth. Since the baby will be here in 11 days she won't need it for awhile. Just let me know

DC

Thats exciting. We have another 2 months to go and Momma is ready for that little girl to come out already. I think a local pard has a .45 that I might see if he can bring it next time we shoot together.

Mud Hen,

You are the one 92 shooter I'm used to seeing locally. There are some good double shooters in our area for you to watch and learn from.

Not lately! :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thats exciting. We have another 2 months to go and Momma is ready for that little girl to come out already. I think a local pard has a .45 that I might see if he can bring it next time we shoot together.

She ready. He's already around 8 1/2#'s and pushing out all over her stomach. It's pretty cool seeing a whole foot push up. Just let me know I don't mind sending it.

DC

Working on it, finding one around here to borrow is tough.

I have three in 44 mag Pard .

Any time you need one its only a Phone call away .

Not lately! :D

I had the best year ever this past year with my Company.

I would like to have more time to shoot .

But when I can make as much on a Saturday as I did all week its hard not to work on a Saturday or Sunday .

Then I have CCW classes also I have to run .

I hope to see some more of my Pards this year .

I had the best year ever this past year with my Company.

I would like to have more time to shoot .

But when I can make as much on a Saturday as I did all week its hard not to work on a Saturday or Sunday .

Then I have CCW classes also I have to run .

I hope to see some more of my Pards this year .

Forgettin' what you look like :lol:

I am hoping to shoot at Rockford next Saturday .

I was going to make it to Scottsville Last Saturday .

But I had a Funereal I had to go to instead.

I hope to see yhall soon .

I am hoping to shoot at Rockford next Saturday .

I was going to make it to Scottsville Last Saturday .

But I had a Funereal I had to go to instead.

I hope to see yhall soon .

Hope you make it. Sorry for your loss.

GG

A non-short stroked 73 has been used twice by a Texas shooter to win the Overall at EoT in the last few years...

It's the action's design...geeze...

Funny how folks always want to start threads praising the 92 without anyone telling them that the 92 has no clothes.

Who was that?

That is impressive!

:) I can shoot my '73 as slow as anyone can shoot their '92. But, I can't shoot my '92 as fast as I can shoot my '73. And, I ain't fast on either! :D

Howdy,

Gitting back, back, way back to the original question, What ever your primary rifle

putting a lot of money into a backup can be sort of a waste of capital.

A backup is sort of like vice president, probably not needed.

I once bought a marlin and put my 92 up for sail and at the very next match

that marlin jammmmmed and I cleared it and the darn thing jammmmed again.

And that's when I reached for my 92 and finished the match just fine.

So yes if you got all the money you can count go for a second whatever is fastest

this week. But for a backup, I kept that little ol 92 a good while, until I finally sold it

to a new shooter. He seems to like it. I might buy it back when he gits something else.

Best

CR

Since you are looking for times, I'll give you my times from back when I was still shooting a 92. My 92 wasn't a Rossi but an old Winchester short rifle in 32-20. I still have it and it still shoots very well.

I've done speed rifle in side matches in just under 4 seconds with the 92, I believe my best time was 3.86 seconds for 10 shots.

As a comparison, I've done the same scenario in speed rifle side matches in around 3.20 seconds. I don't remember the exact number, but it wasn't good enough to win!

I used a shot timer and dry fired it. Wasn't much difference in recoil from my .38 Special loads :lol: I did three runs, I averaged 6.7 seconds. Not smokin', but I've had this rifle for less than two weeks and I bought it new.

Archived