SASS Wire Forum

What's the oldest whiskey you've ever drank?

Ran out of 12yr old Jameson tonight (only use the stuff for uh medicinal purposes, Jane is a bit under the weather) Sure like the 12yr old better than the regular. So time for another. Got me thinking though... what's the oldest whiskey you've ever drank, and was it that much better than the regular stuff.

What say you?

It is my understanding that once whiskey is in the bottle, it stops aging. Didn't know if how long it had been in bottle affects things one way or the other. Saw an ad for a bottle of Jameson that was 112 yrs old, was mighty tempted.

White Grandpaw was a moonshiner and I had some of his still he made back in the early 1940's..........

I pulled the cork on it in the year 2010 and it sit my head on fire and made my kidneys scream !

Lord have mercy it was good ! :unsure:

Well let me say first .

I am a beer drinker. :)

My wife's step dad has a 100 year old bottle of scotch . :unsure:

One day we we over to there house and I was having a beer.

Roger said to me would you like some scotch .

I said no thank you .

I am a beer man .

Roger said oh man this is good .

Its a 100 year old bottle of scotch .

Its so smooth . :wacko:

You will never have a chance again to have some thing like this. :(

So I said OK :wacko:

I took a shot of scotch .

It damned near made me PUKE :blink:

I said Roger you was ripped off.

Some one should have dumped this shit out a 100 years ago. :o

I think he was offended. :blush:

But I thought he gave me turpentine :lol:

Sorry Pards but I will just stick to Beer :)

I have a bottle of Apple Jack that was my wife's grandpa's from when he was younger. Should be 60 years old or so. I'll let you know how that turns out someday. I also have a quart of big Michigan cherries soaking in moonshine, aged about five years. Drinking it you would think you were tasting brandy. One shot and your ears start buzzing! Them cherries aint for the weak o' heart, I'm tellin ya what! The ones soaked in Everclear I may use in a Zippo...... Wow! Nasty stuff!

21 year old Bushmill's Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Very, very smooth. Wish I could justify buying a bottle more frequently

My wife brought me a bottle of 12 year year old Glenlivet scotch, from Scotland. Ok, but not the best I have tasted.

My best remembered drink was from a bottle of cherry Brandy while sitting in the back of a deuce and a half,

waiting to cross the Danube river on a cold dark January night. I have no idea how old it was, but it was smoooooth,

warmed everything going down and sent a warm glow out from my belly. Remember it well, and I have never had

another like it.

Ran out of 12yr old Jameson tonight (only use the stuff for uh medicinal purposes, Jane is a bit under the weather) Sure like the 12yr old better than the regular. So time for another. Got me thinking though... what's the oldest whiskey you've ever drank, and was it that much better than the regular stuff.

What say you?

Had a few 25 yo scotches in the last few years, will probably try a few older still soon.

Find the wood that they're aged/finished in makes more difference then the years in the wood, at least after 12 - 16 years . . . .

Finishing a scotch in PJ sherry casks goes to a whole 'nother place . . . .

SC

Back in the 1990s when I was a drinkin' man, I was in a posse of husband and wifes that was a "dinner club" and we were quite extravagant about 4 times a year. One year we went to a high end French restaurant named "Deux Cheminees" in Philadelphia for Xmas dinner. We rented the Chefs private dining room and as an after dinner treat, several of us purchased a shot of Grand Mariner from the turn of the century. Smooth, but, not really worth the price paid.

I have tried several older Scotch whiskies, and, my favorite is a 25 year old Laphroaig ... very smooth. In a heated brandy snifter. Good stuff!

I do not drink anymore by choice. So, my last sip is in my basement, It is a bottle Bas Armagnac bottled the year I was born. That is preserved for a toast I shall have with my kids the year I die, God willing.

I'm with Dusty Balz on this one.

We toured a Jamison Distillery in Cork,Ireland a couple of years ago.

All Irish Whiskeys are triple distilled and, "Boy Howdy", what a difference that makes!

I had a taste of the 18year old and it was like melting butter in your mouth...it was that smoothe.

Sorry that I didn't buy a bottle while we were there. I can't seem to find it in any of my usual stores.

18 year old Jameson, neat. Very smooth. I don't drink hardly at all any more, my choice but when I do have a drink it's 12 year old Jameson.

I tried a number of Scotch whiskeys when I was stationed in Great Britain. I traveled with an Chief Master Sargent that was a scotch drinker. He told me that scotch is an acquired taste. I never was able to acquire a taste for it.

I'm with Dusty Balz on this one.

We toured a Jamison Distillery in Cork,Ireland a couple of years ago.

All Irish Whiskeys are triple distilled and, "Boy Howdy", what a difference that makes!

I had a taste of the 18year old and it was like melting butter in your mouth...it was that smoothe.

Sorry that I didn't buy a bottle while we were there. I can't seem to find it in any of my usual stores.

+1. Nothing better.

18 year old Jameson, neat. Very smooth. I don't drink hardly at all any more, my choice but when I do have a drink it's 12 year old Jameson.

I tried a number of Scotch whiskeys when I was stationed in Great Britain. I traveled with an Chief Master Sargent that was a scotch drinker. He told me that scotch is an acquired taste. I never was able to acquire a taste for it.

It is an acquired taste, the problem is the most popular brands out there just aren't very good once you taste a good Irish whiskey or the better single malt scotches.

I don't believe in letting whiskey get old. It might get stale in the bottle or something.

I dont know how it is yet because I haven't opened the bottle yet. When I turned 40 my brother gave me a 40 year old 1/2 gallon bottle Crown Royal bottled in 1965. I decided I'm going to crack it when we both turn 65 in 16 years....I'll let you know how it is then..... ;)

Archived