SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2014 - It's Commin Fast!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst match I ever went to!

WOn't go back!!

WOW really this match sells out about 3 months prior, the only other match that I know of that sell out quicker is AZ State, maybe others out there but I have never seen them on the wire, so what was so terrible that you had to mentioned it, inquiring minds want to know. 792 people disagree.

KK

One of these years.....I'll get there.

WOn't go back!!

Come on Jack - WR by anyone's definition is a stellar match.

The Best? Maybe...maybe not. For most, it's one of THE best. But I've never heard anyone that has been "Around" say that it was the worst match they ever went to.

So...seem to me that something rather unique happened to you. But you're hurting yourself by not going back.

Just my opinion my friend.

Phantom

Jack Houston must have had the same bad kuck with Winter Range weather as I did. The three times that I attended it rained so hard that 100 year flowers bloomed, RVs and pickups floated down the rivers and, once, the last day was called because of the weather. However, before I am physically unable to compete, I plan to return. Hopefully, I am not a JINX. :-)

Jack Houston must have had the same bad kuck with Winter Range weather as I did. The three times that I attended it rained so hard that 100 year flowers bloomed, RVs and pickups floated down the rivers and, once, the last day was called because of the weather. However, before I am physically unable to compete, I plan to return. Hopefully, I am not a JINX. :-)

Yeah...weather can be bad, but last I looked God wasn't a WR Board Member...so it's hard to blame the folks running WR for that. So Jack, if it was the weather...get over it!!!! :P

Don't worry about being a Jinx...there's a lot of us that think we are but we go anyway!

;)

This will be my 7 year in a row. Last year was the worst weather I had encountered yet in the 6 years in a row of going. Are we still talking about weather that happened 8 years ago. Good gravy get over it folks. It's a sell out match for a reason. If you are boycotting it ain't working LOL.

Ifn your thinking about coming or want to play, go ahead and send your application in there are always cancellations. Me be Larsen can chime in !!

The goal is to have 792 people actually shoot. The registration numbers are slightly over 800. However, keep sending in your applications. Several WR Board members usually decide not to shoot. Some spots are not used by vendors and there are always some cancellations by people that registered months ago and things have come up since then. We keep an overflow list and will keep moving people onto the main match list as others drop out.

Shoot Slick I thought I was bad at shooter #785....they didn't get my first application for shooting or vending,,,,had to send in another.....and I was almost too slow!!! :wacko:

I've been to 8 Winter Range matches in the last 9 years. Yes, I "shot all 12" the year of the Battle of Adobe Boots, shot in a gale force wind/sandstorm that drove sand into the actions of every gun and my eyes and watched from under cover last year in amazement as the "grapple" fell from the sky.........

I've also seen the most glorious sunrises over the desert as I'm getting ready for the early flight, gotten sunburned, enjoyed the company of some of the nicest people I've ever met, shot lots of fun stages with very nice and better every year props, and watched over time as improvements are made by the WR crew based on shooter input each and every year. The match is extraordinarily well-run and the Rangers put their whole heart into it.

It must just suck to bust your hump for a year to throw an outdoor party for almost 1,000 people in a place known for fabulous weather and then have the weather go bad on the 3 days you really need it to be nice. Can't blame that on the WR folks. They have even shifted the match dates around in an effort to improve the probability of great shooting weather. Some of the key players were truly distressed over the bad weather spoiling some of the activities for the shooters last year. It's a hazard of participation in an outdoor activity -- sometimes the weather just doesn't cooperate. If the only thing you can find to complain about is the weather, I think they must be doing a great job!

Actually...come to think about it...it's kinda fun to have to deal with the sometimes weird weather.

Give us something to talk about...kinda like a bonding experience.

Those on the "Rain" posses from a few years ago understand.

It's part of the Charm of WR.

Phantom

Keep the applications coming in. With cancellations, vendors not shooting and board members deciding not to shoot, the shooter numbers will go above 800.

WOn't go back!!

There you have it... by golly I'm gonna send my ticket back. Can't imagine why they would keep filling up months before with the largest number of shooters at any cowboy match by 2x's.

The weather in AZ is ....WEATHER... why dress like a cowboy and then whine like a queen? (Not that there's anything wrong with queens.)

Me? I got my eye on a buffalo coat.... now I just have to make somebody happier than Santa Claus. That should send temps soaring into the 80's.

In order to be a part of SAVING WINTER RANGE.... all you have to do is send me $1 per shooter and Santa Claus can drop that sucker down my chimney. Think of it as doing your part to insure that I don't need a $1000+ coat. Sorta of like when someone on your bike ride puts on rain gear before it actually starts raining. It just insures that the rest of the riders won't need theirs at all.

The Western National Muzzle loading match is always the week after Winter Range. A lot of people buy their BP there as it is hard to get in a lot of locales. We have received the following notice from the NMLRA. If you want real BP, you have to pre-order.

Because of ATF regulations and transportation issues, the NMLRA will not
have open sales of Black Powder at the WNS (March 4-10, 2014). Black powder
can be pre-ordered for delivery at the WNS in any amount and manufacturer up
to an aggregate of 25 pounds per individual at the prices below. (Orders
over 25 pounds to any individual cannot be filled and will not be
considered). Powder must be ordered by Friday, January 17th. You will
receive an email later announcing when powder will be available for pick up
and information will also be available at the WNS registration about
delivery schedules.

You must be at least 21 years old to purchase black powder and will be
required to present your photo I.D. AND your NMLRA membership card or WNS
shooter's badge when picking up your powder. Sales tax is included in the
prices listed.

Link: http://nmlra.org/nmlra-bp-preorder/

Thank you,
Dana Dore
NMLRA Western National Shoot Trader's Row Coordinator
djdore@jps.net
602-791-5236

Just contacted Dana about ordering black powder - Membership in NMRLA is required to order the BP for pickup during NWS the don't have a vendor or storage. Sounds like you will get a email stating your powder will arrive X date at Y time pick it up then.

This year's theme is "Boomtowns and Ghost Towns." If any of you have photos of a favorite old town you might be able to help us get good stories for the shooter's handbook. We always post a short story and photo for each year's theme on the page opposite the stage description. So, if you have a photo of a boomtown at its height and what it looks like now write a one paragraph note about the town and send the photos and paragraph to me. You might see it in the shooter's handbook. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all from Winter Range. We will be taking a break from match preparation for the holidays. I'll try to post some pictures after January 1. The main cowboy action match is full with 792 shooters and a waiting list has been started. Keep sending in your applications as we have been getting some cancellations and we fill from the waiting list in the order applications are received. There are still a few spots open for the Wild Bunch match. Today is sunny and 72 here in Phoenix.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all from Winter Range. We will be taking a break from match preparation for the holidays. I'll try to post some pictures after January 1. The main cowboy action match is full with 792 shooters and a waiting list has been started. Keep sending in your applications as we have been getting some cancellations and we fill from the waiting list in the order applications are received. There are still a few spots open for the Wild Bunch match. Today is sunny and 72 here in Phoenix.

And a big MERRY CHRISTMAS to you LEP....and all of the Winter Range Prep team. bb

We had a cancellation in Classic Cowgirl and are down to two. Three are needed to have the category. So, we need one more lady to sign up for or switch to Classic Cowgirl.

Archived