SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range 2014 - It's Commin Fast!

Winter Range 2014 is coming fast and registrations are about 60 ahead of last year. The match sold out by mid-December last year and has been selling out about two weeks earlier for the past three years. After discussing the proposed stages which should be "straightforward" and the only prop reset being the soda can laucher that will probably be on Stage 12, the cowboy match limit has been set at 792. (36 posses x 22 shooters per posse.) The Wild Bunch match is limited to 125 shooters. The warm up matches are going to be limited to 200 shooters per wave for three waves. So, get those applications in so you don't miss out for Winter Range 2014! We'll try to answer any questions on this thread and post news as things move along. There are a few changes for this year. There is now a shooters list posted on the Winter Range website. There will be no swap meet or black powder night shoot this year. There is a new Winter Range Event sponsor -- Ruger. The Cowboy match sponsor is Pietta and the Wild Bunch Match Sponsor is Wild West Merchantile.

Now that the local temperatures are firmly in the low 90s and 80s months of planning and indoor work has now gone outside. (Hopefully, these photos are in order as I can't see them until they are posted.)

Winter Range tries to store as many props and equipment indoors as possible as the brutal summer sun and low humidity plays havoc on wooden props and will dryrot plastic and rubber in short order.

The containers are opened and emptied and the props assessed to determine if they need repair, replacement or recycling to reflect the main theme. This year the theme is "Boomtowns and Ghost Towns."

PB172196_zps0f66788f.jpg

Shopping at the Winter Range hardware store.

PB172203_zpsfc50b865.jpg

The tools are almost all checked out.

PB172207_zps959e30c2.jpg

The tops of the targets have been cut off and the heads angled more to give a steeper angle on the plate faces. New springs on the back of the plates should give a nice "ding" when struck. All the free standing plates are now 20"+.

PB172228_zps49e4da8f.jpg
PB172215_zpsbfea8df1.jpg

Some of the Saquaro cacti were looking a little rough so new ones are being made.

PB172198_zpsfa98f84b.jpg

Some new trestles are being built. Last year the trestle completely spanned Stage 6. Despite the simple look, this prop was very difficult to set up and took a lot of manpower.

PB172195_zpsb883befe.jpg
P2160881_zpsb2047913.jpg

The first cut on a new prop and a few hours later. There should be a mine with ore cars and a sluice box. If all goes well (we are in the desert) there should be water flowing in the sluice box separating ore. There might be some moving water on some other props/targets as well!

PB172201_zps439f5782.jpg
PB172222_zpsfb34c51f.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COOL! Talked to Sunshine Kay today.... should be sold out 1st week of December!

WOW!!! This will be my first time to shoot out west, the Props look Great!!

Can't wait!!

Still need to book a hotel, Don't want to be in a fleabag, but $150 a night is a bit outa the budget. (staying 11 days) Suggestions??

Mississippi Kid

Wow! Just wow! This will be my first time there, and I'm most definitely lookin' forward to it!

WOW!!! This will be my first time to shoot out west, the Props look Great!!

Can't wait!!

Still need to book a hotel, Don't want to be in a fleabag, but $150 a night is a bit outa the budget. (staying 11 days) Suggestions??

Mississippi Kid

Budget Suites of America, North Phoenix is where the wife and I stayed last February and are staying there again. $204.00 a week but you had to supply your own bedding and kitchen utensils otherwise it was furnished like a small 1 bedroom apartment.

NORTH PHOENIX

2702 W. Yorkshire

Dr.

Phoenix, AZ 85027

(623) 587-1700

(866) 877-2000

The Doily Gang post on the ladies shooting clinic at Winter Range reminded me that Evil Roy will not be putting on his shooting school this year. Maybe if some of the guys wear a nice frock they can sneak into the ladies shooting clinic.

The Doily Gang post on the ladies shooting clinic at Winter Range reminded me that Evil Roy will not be putting on his shooting school this year. Maybe if some of the guys wear a nice frock they can sneak into the ladies shooting clinic.

Suspect this will be first year in close to 15 that ER has not had the school. I know I attended a couple over 10-14 years ago. He deserves a year off.

L, thanks for updates.

bb

Larsen, thanks for the update photos! 95 days to go and I'm just about as jazzed as I can be!

Is it time to shoot yet?!!!

There is a reason Winter Range is the largest Cowboy Action shooting match in the world. :)

Yep...cuz they put on a "shooter's match"....they give us what we want! :D

All the categories have the minimum number of shooters required to honor those categories except ONE. Ladies Frontier Cartridge Duelist. There is presently only one lady signed up for LFCD. Two more are required to honor the category. Come on ladies, there has got to be more soot sisters out there.

reminded me that Evil Roy will not be putting on his shooting school this year.

WHAT???

I'm flying in Early so I could take the class :blink:

OK plan B, who in driving distance of Phoenix has a monthly Match I can go to the weekend before Winter Range???

WHAT???

I'm flying in Early so I could take the class :blink:

OK plan B, who in driving distance of Phoenix has a monthly Match I can go to the weekend before Winter Range???

There will be several choices. Cowtown is just a 10 minute drive down the road and usually has a two day shoot, the weekend before WR. Cowtown is usually avail also Mon and Tue for practice. There is usually a two day shoot in Tombstone about 3 hours away the weekend before WR. There will be monthly shoot in Mesa, Az an hour away a couple weeks before WR-second Sat of month.

Pettifogger it's looking great.

Good job with the pictures and updates. Running water in some of the props/stages, now that's cool.

All the folks setting up. That's the reason WR is as good as it is!

Ringer

SHOOTER #718! Best get off your dyin' arse and on your dyin' feet to the PO Box if you're going!

Shooter # 752. Only place in Cowboy action shooting I've ever been anywhere near Deuce.

And he still beat you. ha

And he still beat you. ha

:lol::lol::D

Not looking like it's gonna happen for me this year, the money just isn't there. It's killin' me to think about not going...

Howdy Grizz

Hope to be comin' over for '015 WR..maybe we can catch up again !!!

Regards Mohawk

Archived