Tommy Lee Jones Will Write And Direct Remake Of John Wayne's The Cowboys

Jones will be writing the screenplay himself as well as directing, with

Donald De Line stepping in as producer. There is no word yet on whether

Jones will be starring in the film or not, though I wouldn’t be

surprised if he joined in. If there’s anybody who could rival Wayne’s

powerful on-screen presence, Jones is a sure fit - as was Jeff Bridges

in the Coens’ remake of True Grit.

http://www.zixworld.com/2013/09/tommy-lee-jones-will-write-and-direct.html

The Cowboys was my favorite JW movie. I'll be looking forward to seeing the re-make, but I don't see it getting an better! But hey, any cowboy movie is a good movie.

Yep.....just cast Robert Duvall in JW's part!

Selleck is old enough.

If Tommy Lee Jones doesn't take it for himself, it'd be funny if he casts Jeff Bridges.

After RIPD, Bridges may wqnt to lay low for awhile. ;)

Let Ricky Schroeder do something

Lots of good casting options - here is a twist - Bruce Dern in JW;s role - might have been a real option 10 years ago or so!

Selleck would make a great lead, also Kurt Russel, both better than Bridges in that specific, I think. Bridges might fill Dern's original role more appropriately but probably need a younger actor. Maybe Josh Brolin?

Nitelingler's role requires understated class and Freeman fits that, but there are others, also, including Laurence Fishburne. But race does not have to play into the part, necessarily?

What be your thoughts on casting this one?!?

With my curmudgeon hat firmly on my head, let me say...I thought the Duke did it right the first time! I suppose any of the proposed stars could play the part of the adults. Casting the kids could be a chore. I wonder how many young actors have even seen a horse!

With my curmudgeon hat firmly on my head, let me say...I thought the Duke did it right the first time! I suppose any of the proposed stars could play the part of the adults. Casting the kids could be a chore. I wonder how many young actors have even seen a horse!

Some of our young shooters should fit the bill

I dpon't care if it's a re-make or an original story. Any western with big name backing is good news. As far as casting, nothing wrong with some fresh faces.

I look forward to this one!

I can hardly wait, I don't care who's in it or why, just get it out already!!!! I'll go see any western after all I went and seen the Lone Ranger for gosh sakes! :lol:

Rye

This is great news. Good to see them re-make some of these old, set based westerns. You know anything TL Jones is involved in is going to be 1st class.

How about Christina Hendricks as Kate????

YOWSA!

This was the first Duke Wayne movie that I saw in the theater when it was first released. I saw it in a theater in Lawton, OK that looked like the Alamo on the outside.

I am with Trailrider on this. There is no reason to remake this movie; it was perfect the first time around.

I would love to see more westerns; our younger generations have not learned the ways, manners, attitudes and lives of the people that made our country what it is today. How about remaking some movies that need to be remade (The Longriders, Tombstone from the aspect of the Cowboys, The Virginian) or make movies that should have been made about Bigfoot Wallace, Judge Parker's Three Guardsmen, Jeff Milton or Fred Masterson.

Nitelingler's role requires understated class and Freeman fits that, but there are others, also, including Laurence Fishburne. But race does not have to play into the part, necessarily?

Considering the number of black cowboys that worked the cattle out west, Nitelinger must be cast as an older black guy - Fishburne being the far better choice than Morgan.

As an aside, I'd encourage folks to do some reading on Morgan Freeman's personal life and political positions.

I'm well aware of Freemans politics. Only Jane Fonda, Tim Robbins and Sean Penn REALLY rile me, and only Jane will prevent me from watching.

Point taken. :)

BTW, that is why I suggested Laurence Fishburne - plus he would be superior in the role IMO.

I shall await the actual film!

:D You know why your statement is funny? The jist of the whole movie is about boys learning to be men.

Start at the 0.38 mark - "who's first?"

probably wind up with Snoop Dog as Natlinger, and Kid Rock as Longhair.

+2

Let's give Johnny Depp another shot huh? Instead of a crow he can have long hair!

This movie would have no place for "BLOCKBUSTER SPECIAL EFFECTS"....People nowdays aren't looking for plot!

Snoop dawg as "Nitelinger" That's funny :lol: Wouldn't make it past the "Doves" in the wagon.

That being said, I wish the "film industry" could come up with something good soon. Starting to wonder why I have a color TV.

Knarley

I think a lot of actors have to be taught to ride and shoot guns before they make a western. As far as the remake goes, somebody asked the Coen brothers why they were remaking a John Wayne movie (True Grit). They said, "We're not. We're adapting the novel." Tommy Lee Jones probably sees things the same way. I'm looking forward to it.

Archived