SASS Wire Forum

A.C.E.S scoring view from my saddle.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

We have been using the ACES scoring program on a IPad for a few months now and can honestly say that it's a thing of beauty. The Rockford Regulators will be going to the program as soon as we get a couple more devices. I can't seem to find a negative about it. Even folks that self proclaimed non tech people loved it and folks wanna actually work the score keeping position now. Best of all workers that generally have to shoot through to get scores done can now enjoy the match with family and friends. Give it a look. It's one of the cooler things to come along in the game in a long time. Also forgot to add the help and support from Pit Viper and Wold Wind Walker has been awesome. They ain't getting rich off this app. They just truely love making things better. Yes it is a stand alone scoring system but can also be used with the SASS scoring system.

Our friend Turquoise Bill was visiting us and showed us the program on his IPAD. It looks pretty awesome. I like the little "Yee Haw" which indicates that the score just entered is the new leader of the stage. The scores would be done like "instantly". Pretty darn cool.

AA

It looks like it has a lot of features . Can it be a stand alone scoring system?

Yes.

It can also be used along side of the SASS program or Roundup. ( at least the IPad version )

I have also used a combination of Apple and Android.

These other programs come in handy especially for larger shoots that use them for early sign ups, fee information and other reports.

+1 love it. Duece is right Pitt viper and wolf are very quick to respond to my many questions. Love it and will be using it as usual at our match this Saturday. I use it on iPads iPhones and android tablets no problem whatsoever ever.

Painted Filly

How does it work? If it requires a cell phone account and iPad for each possi, I don't see how any club could afford it. Seems like it could be a very large expense for a once a month useage. I'm sure not putting it down, in fact I would like to see something like this at our range. One of the biggest fears that I have is that the person who does the scores is going to quit! But... buying 6 iPads, and paying for cell phone access just seems like it would be prohibitive.

Snakebite

From looking at the ACES website, it appears that only WiFi is required not cell phone service. That means if a device has wifi capabilities it would work.

That also means the club needs to purchase a wifi server and make sure there's a wifi area at, either all stage locations or a couple of wifi hotspots, to be able to sync to the main PC.

Sounds interesting, I think I'll look into it for the ranch and then present it to the club.

Thanks All

From looking at the ACES website, it appears that only WiFi is required not cell phone service. That means if a device has wifi capabilities it would work.

That also means the club needs to purchase a wifi server and make sure there's a wifi area at, either all stage locations or a couple of wifi hotspots, to be able to sync to the main PC.

Sounds interesting, I think I'll look into it for the ranch and then present it to the club.

Thanks All

I believe that is correct that only WiFi is needed. We use the program at Bar-3 and from my use, I have been very pleased. I have heard no complaints from anyone. I often posse with Honey and Nuttn and it is in her pad plus the range purchased some pods. Quite easy to learn basics. At end of match I believe data is justed e-mailed to Honey and/or Ellie then it is downloaded into computer for organizing scores and printing out...all while shooters are having a little lunch. Thumbs up from my view.

Yeah Duece, I like it to.I have been messing with it. I can see where it could make scoring a big match much easier. The only thing that it lacks is some sort of way for the shooter to varify the score.(at state level and higher matches)The obvious solution is paper backup. I hope to use it at some point here at Stoney Bottom. Definetly at the Ohio State Blackpowder match. Maybe February if the weather is good. We might have two posses and thats how many I devices I own.

Gaslight

The experience has been very positive for us.

We are just now completing the integration of it into the matches. We rarely go over two posses but the main scorekeeper can now remain in the bay for the whole match... it's really nice. We are using iPods with the small extra batteries attached.

From the ACES website, https://acesscoring.com/info

"No PC required, all scoring can be done on the devices, if local Wi-Fi is available.

A PC or Mac can be used to synch scores if Wi-Fi isn't available.

Scoring can be done on any mix of supported devices."

Good point regarding state or higher match. How can a verification happen at a large match to avoid double duty. "Paper & device?

Shooter verifies and taps device, as an approval?

Receipt type printer prints off time, penalty, misses, etc and its given to shootet to verify?

I think shooter seeing score and taping enter would work?

Something to think about.

Ringer

Even an "Invalid" can keep score on the A.C.E.S. program :wacko:/> :blink:/>

Seriously, it's great. Thanks Pitt Viper

hOOt

That's me :lol: Had the system at the Missouri State Shoot last October. Folks, I don't even have a cell pone or any of them weird electronics. Was on stage 6, I believe, they stuffed the thing in my hand and I just looked at them, so, was told how to do the thing and away I went. Only problem, wearing gloves ain't no fun when you have very big hands trying to use that pencil thing. Also had to bang that pencil thing up to 10 times to get the little box to accept what I was trying to enter. By the time I got something entered the next shooter was up. Also, I had no idea who was shooting since I did not know 95% of the folks shooting. But, I just stood by the loading table and asked. No one seemed to mind me asking and got to meet everyone coming through the stage. That was fun to get to know everyone :)

Whiskey Row Gunslingers will beginning using the A.C.E.S. scoring program at our Feb. match, I've been playing with the program on my new iPad mini, seems to work great. I have it installed on my iPhone as well so we can handle a maximum of 2 posses at our monthly match at this time. I think it's a great deal for the price.

TB

Clarify for me, If you want to install it on your ipad and your android phone, you have to purchase it each time for each device correct?

Good point regarding state or higher match. How can a verification happen at a large match to avoid double duty. "Paper & device?

Shooter verifies and taps device, as an approval?

Receipt type printer prints off time, penalty, misses, etc and its given to shootet to verify?

I think shooter seeing score and taping enter would work?

Something to think about.

Ringer

No doubt that a "Paper Trail" can be a good thing if there is a dispute... You might have a good point about having the shooter "Tap" the entry... that should end most disputes about score accuracy.

How hard is it to edit a score if something needs to be changed?

Snakebite

WOW folks you started the party without us......... ;)

No problem - cause folks using the product and answering the questions is better advertising than anything we could do........thanks to all you folks using it and supporting and testifying about how good you feel it is.......ya'll are great.... :FlagAm::D

As I was reading --- it looks like most of the questions were answered.........hope ya'll saw th einfo and video on our web site because that covers a lot of stuff also.....

A couple of things.........

1. Back up: Syncing

a. We always recommend using Paper along with the APP......one person can do both....or 2 people can do it and check

each other.

b. Syncing of course backs up all devices to the master........we have walked or driven a golf cart / 4 wheeler down

the shooting line with a WiFi in our pocket and backed up all devices. If you have WiFi at a good central location

and can "read" all you devices in your bays you can sync from one location. How often you do it depends on you,

sometimes we do it every 20 min.....sometimes at teh end of a match.

2. Verification of scores:

a. Timer Operator can verify scores (( paper & device )) when he gives scores to the score keeper (( this is

"supposed" to happen anyway - right?? )) and score keepers verify the time on the "timer" when it is shown to

them.....(( Supposed to happen also --- right...??? ))

b. Shooter can verify paper any time.

c. Guess what = shooter can verify Device anytime too....all you have to do is go back to posse list and pull up

there name....and the details are right there (( just as you left them )) with there final score for the stage

at the bottom right of the device........and yes you may need to ask the shooter to wait a "few seconds" if you

are entering another shooters score, but right after that you are going back to the posse list to pull up the next

shooter anyway......

You can pull up any shooter on previous stages just by going back one screen from the "Posses" screen......

the order going forward is "Select a Stage" "Posses" "All Shooters" " then Name of shooter"....then just pick

the Stage the shooter wants to see and there name........and it will have the Stage number at top right so you

know you are in the right place.

Now remember I am not the tech guy....like T-Bone says " if him and I can do it - anyone can do it..." and altho the explanation is long (( cause it is hard to write it covering all aspects )) the actual "doing" is really short.... and the more you "do it".....the easier it is......and we put reminders on each screen so all you have to do is look and you know where you are at, at any time.

So thanks again for all your support and help and also the suggestions......we have implemented many of them and you are helping us make our product better for you and for SASS.......thanks :FlagAm:

Schedule as of now.

On the books are = Cowtown - Land Run - Rukus - and talking to several others.....if you want us to bring extra or all the devices and "help" you run you big match......let us know..........I have affectionately started calling us the "ACES Traveling Road Show"....... B)

Be well and have fun..................regards........Wolf

Clarify for me, If you want to install it on your ipad and your android phone, you have to purchase it each time for each device correct?

No, if you purchase it for your iPad it is also installed on your iPhone. Syncing can be done at the end of the match when you bring all devices to an area where there is wi-fi. As far as purchasing for an iPad then a non-apple product, i.e. android you probably have to purchase it separately for devices not using the same operating system.

WWW can chime in on this.

TB

We have been using the ACES scoring program on a IPad for a few months now and can honestly say that it's a thing of beauty. The Rockford Regulators will be going to the program as soon as we get a couple more devices. I can't seem to find a negative about it. Even folks that self proclaimed non tech people loved it and folks wanna actually work the score keeping position now. Best of all workers that generally have to shoot through to get scores done can now enjoy the match with family and friends. Give it a look. It's one of the cooler things to come along in the game in a long time. Also forgot to add the help and support from Pit Viper and Wold Wind Walker has been awesome. They ain't getting rich off this app. They just truely love making things better. Yes it is a stand alone scoring system but can also be used with the SASS scoring system.

+1 Vance Montana Saw it at EOT awesome!!!!!! I will be using it at my range (when it get's started)

You might have a good point about having the shooter "Tap" the entry... that should end most disputes about score accuracy.

Snakebite

My wife - Bookworm Sandy - is a full-time score keeper and thinks very highly of A.C.E.S: So much so that she asked for her own iPad for a Christmas gift, which she received with the APP installed. Her one concern has also been about physical verification of score by the shooter...at many large shoots she spends at least some time tracking down shooters who haven't initialed their entered time. Its one thing for a shooter to come up and ask "What was my time?", quite a different thing to come up, view the time, and physically indicate (initials, if scoring on paper) that he/she accepts the recorded time. Unless I've missed something (possible, since I'm OLD), I don't see a way to handle that in the current version of the APP.

CS

Them boys who created the App. could just add a little check box i.e., Score Confirmed By Shooter, score keeper would ask the shooter at a big match to come to him or her and check the score and click on the little box.

TB

• 1 month later...

I just bought this app today (based largely on the recommendations above) and I've been playing with it on my Jed Iphone.

It's one of the more expensive apps I've purchased but I feel like its a worthwhile investment. So far I like the app.

Been using at the Texas Ten Horns for a couple months now and can't say enough GOOD things about. Our secretary retired and we had to come up with a simpler solution. After seeing the program at the Bar 3 we decided to give it a try. Even picked up the phone and talked directly to Pit Viper and Wolf Wind Walker when I had a question.

As of yet we bring our own personal devices. Add a wireless router and wireless printer and you're ready to go! Great Ap!!!

"As I was reading --- it looks like most of the questions were answered.........hope ya'll saw th einfo and video on our web site because that covers a lot of stuff also...."

Hi Wolf,

I spoke with Pitt awhile back about a couple of small problems with the Android version of the app. Do you know when they might be fixed?

The problems were nothing major at all only affecting the appearance of the output in some formats.

The Greene County Regulators really appreciate the time you have saved us gathering and posting scores.

Thanks,

Lucky

grin.png

I have been helping our club use this app for a while now and was thinking that if you could have the software allow the shooter to enter their sass number to "lock" the score from that point so that it cannot be changed or edited by anyone but the match director it would be sufficient security for a state match or above. What do ya ll think?

-Deadlee

I have been helping our club use this app for a while now and was thinking that if you could have the software allow the shooter to enter their sass number to "lock" the score from that point so that it cannot be changed or edited by anyone but the match director it would be sufficient security for a state match or above. What do ya ll think?

-Deadlee

This is a solution looking for a problem that isn't there. It's no different than pencil scoring - when the scores are entered, the RO or TO can watch and make sure it is correct, just like when it is written down with pencil. We've been using the software for almost a year now for single and multiple posses with no issues, especially reference the entered score.

Finally back home...........

Hey folks - thanks for all the support and compliments..........Our ACES development crew and the "ACES Traveling Road Show" appreciate it.... :)

Hey Lucky

Thanks for the support and for the suggestions..........I have not had a debrief yet........(( that is what we do when we get back to St. George after
traveling with ACES ))......so I will get the info / updates and go over ideas and suggestions................mostly from our customers/partners........

I do know that they are working on Android regarding several different issues............. regards..Wolf

AND - just to let everyone know.............
Deuce Stevens is "Officiously Dangerous" .............as at Winter Range we delivered several devices to him to play with and show them off
around the great frozen northern mid west ((??))..........thanks Deuce and thanks for your support..........You Rock...!!

Ok - update - we scored Fire & Ice right before Winter Range...........Barb & Zona and the gang did a great job..............we scored Wild Bunch for Bodie Tom and gave him """ 3 """ sets of results as per his request............yes 3 sets...!! We did
Rank - Time and Points, Tom wanted folks to see how the different
scoring results looked for the same match.......and yes - as expected some standings changed between Time and rank.......and the same for Points - Time & Rrank.......... great idea Tom.......thanks......Wolf

As for the main match........we ran ACES - we took 1 Ipad Mini to use as our master (( It was Pink.. :o )) --- JT Wild had an Ipad Mini, also had 2 Nooks, 3 full size Ipads, and the rest were Ipods. Match ran well and I gotta hand it to all the shooters.........they really stepped up and used the devices.....it was great............probably had at least 60 people ran the devices..........some had never handled a device like those before......I cruisd the Posses and checked in every stage or so.........and told folks to 'train' others...results were amazing............thanks everybody.............. :FlagAm:

Major Pain and The Molasses Kid were my partners in crime - followed by JT Wild..........they did a great job and were instrument in running a smooth scoring match......and of course there toughest job is keeping me
straight.......... :ph34r:

Results were synced and printed about 3 minutes after last shooter was done..........of course shooters did not get them until all the announcements were done............it was good....!!!

Oh - so now would be a good time ..........

It was announced at Fire & Ice that...........

JT Wild has "Officiously" joined the "Aces Traveling Road Show" ......JT got his traveling kit of Nooks and an Ipad Mini, assortered chargers, cords dohickies etc.... ;) .......so we want to welcome him aboard and you may just find him at a shoot near you............. :)

Ok folks............that is about it for now............just a note..............we are traveling to Land Run, Ruckus at Red Rock, others..??? and been asked to several other shoots..Colorado State, Mid West regional etc. etc. etc.

So get those reservations in early.............our Calendar is filling up..........(( A good problem to have :D ))

And just to let you know.....folks are asking "what does it cost...??" (( for us to come to your shoot and help you score )) - fair question.........since we do not know your shoot budget.......or distance we need to travel...... we just talk to you on a case by case basis...........we do not charge anything..... if you want to donate to help us with expences.... we really appreciate it............ we bring any devices you may need............and HELP/TEACH you and your score people how to score the match....... the object is to teach you so you do not need us anymore........ sound good.....??

Well enough verbosity for now................thanks to all and be well.......play nice.........

Regards.....Wolf

Hey WWW!

You can write the trip off as a business expense. With that in mind, maybe you or JT could make it to Dry Gulch at Arroyo Cantua, April 25-28. I'd love to see either of you. Yes, even JT... ;)

Details are on the following sites. Application: http://www.californiagunslingers.com/annuals/AC2013-RegForm.pdf

More Details: http://www.californiagunslingers.com/

I'm the vendor coordinator, so let me know if you have any questions.

alliemo@volcano.net

Regards,

Sister Mo

Archived