SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 VS Marlin 1894

Texas Peacemaker

Howdy Pards. How about a little more help for this beginner. This time I am trying to decide on a rifle, which will complete my gun needs, hopefully for quite a while. Yeah right. Anyway, I shot with the great folks at Old Fort Parker and learned so much. I shot five different rifles through the weekend, some I can affford and a couple I cannot afford for now. Anyway, I need your opinions on the Rossi 92 and the Marlin 1894. I would appreciate any other suggestions. If you have a good used rifle, send photos. You have been spot-on on my other inquiries and hope you can help here. Thank all who helps with their knowledge. And a great big thanks to the Old Fort Parker gang.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one of those 92's that was case length sensitive.It would shoot 38's as long as you ran it slow.Try to run it fast and it spit live rounds out like watermelon seeds.Started loading 357 and it worked great.Ran as fast as you could work it and did it all day long.It liked the extra overall length of the 357.Strong rifle and it will run real good if you have a good smith smooth out some of the rough spots they come with.

Howdy Pards. How about a little more help for this beginner. This time I am trying to decide on a rifle, which will complete my gun needs, hopefully for quite a while. Yeah right. Anyway, I shot with the great folks at Old Fort Parker and learned so much. I shot five different rifles through the weekend, some I can affford and a couple I cannot afford for now. Anyway, I need your opinions on the Rossi 92 and the Marlin 1894. I would appreciate any other suggestions. If you have a good used rifle, send photos. You have been spot-on on my other inquiries and hope you can help here. Thank all who helps with their knowledge. And a great big thanks to the Old Fort Parker gang.

I have come across a lot of shooters that have or have owned 92's but they are usually shooting something else in the matches.

There is the "old Marlin And the new Marlin. I would try to find the older model. The new one seems to have a lot of trouble. Look for a barrel stamp "JM or JB" An older Marlin that has been in the hands of a good gunsmith is as fast and dependable as anything out there. (some 73 shooters would debate that) There a number of well known smiths in the CAS world that can turn a Malin into greased lightening. They are also very light as compared to a 73.

Hope that helps some

Regards

Gideon B)

Got 4 of em--Rossi 92 in 44mag &357 mag---Marlin 94 cowboy classic in 45 colt &94 c in 357---ya can't go wrong w/ either of them---unless ya one o the extremely fast rifle shooters either one can go faster than most shooters---Only thing we been hearing is the NEW Marlins ( made by Remington) do not have the quality of the older models---Ya hear a lot bout overall lenght of ya cartridges & feeding problems --in all the years I've had these NEVER had a feeding problem whether using mag's or specials(44 or 38)

Do you know of a source for the Marlin 1894 made by Marlin?

I much prefer the Marlin to the '92.

1894C .357 - 2

1894CB .45 Colt - 2

1894 CBC .38 - 1

1894 .38-40 SRC - 1

1894 .38-40 rifle - 1

Rossi 1892 .45 Colt rifle - 1

Rossi 1892 SRC .357 - 2

Have also had a Browning B92 .357 and a Hartford model .45 Colt

I shot the Rossi .45 my first year, then went to toggle links. My 18 yo daughter shoots the .357's, one of which is one of the slickest rifles I've ever handled - I think it's been in the hands of a pro 'smith sometime in its life.

My Vote would be for the Marlin 1894. First off it is :FlagAm: MADE!! And I figure a cowboy should support his country ;) A few modifications and the Malin can be a slick lil rifle. Lighten up the hammer spring and finger lever spring (a kit available from Brownells for under $10). It is also easier to get parts for the Marlins. The Marlin is a side eject which I personally favor over the top eject of the 92 (end up with rounds on your hat...hehee) . I also feel the Marlin is a simpler and better designed rifle, easier to tear down for a good cleaning. My Main Match gun is a 1894 CB in 44-40... smooth as silk. I am working on a 1894 CBC in 32-20... hoping to run it through it's paces this coming year.

I have 3 Rossi '92s all in .45 Colt, all with octagon barrels, one brass frame and two CCH. The heavier barrels seem to steady my aim. I have never had a problem with feeding that I didn't cause. The action must be worked with some force to make it run right. An action job or just replacing springs helps a lot.

I have finally started to outrun the '92s after almost 10 years. I now have a '66 with a short stroke kit and love it.

I shot a 92 Rossi 45 fer about 6-7 years....and had a buddy shoot with me fer about 3 years borrowing it 1 or 2 times a month.

Sucker ALWAYS worked regardless of recipe or ammo. Accurate and reliable as an anvil.

In addition, it handled more like an agricultural implement than a finely tuned cowboy carbine. And it shot the Holy Black jest fine too.

Finally traded it off. Have a Marlin 94 in 45, works jest fine too, perhaps a bit more pleasant and no "clacketyclack" to distract from missing the next target.

Personally I perfer the 73. Scrimped & saved & traded off stuff, came across one I could afford, shot it with great disappointment my first 2 matches. Got talked into slicking it up & doing a little stroke work....man WHAT an improvement in enjoyment. It was like the advantages of such as power steering & air conditioning all at once!

Hard to go wrong, but personally I don't care fer them 94 Winchesters for this game at all.

Enjoy whatever ya get.

Marlin all the way for me. I love 'em. Not to put down the '92, it's a fine gun, just not for me. I like how the Marlins handle, the action on them just feels good. I have a '73 for the times I want to shoot Classic Cowboy, the rest of the time I shoot Marlins.

There a lots of good Marlin rifles available. The most affordable is the 1894C, it shoots .38 Special or .357 Mags. Next would be the 1894 in 44Special/44Mag. The 1894 was also available in 45 Colt and 44-40 but they can be tough to find. The most desireable would be the Cowboy Limited models. They have octagonal barrels. They were made in 38/357, 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 44-40. You will pay more for the Cowboy Limited but they are really nice rifles.

Marlins quality did slip quite a bit after the Remington takeover but I think it is getting better. Some of the latest Remington-made Marlins I've looked at seem pretty good, although not as good as the pre-Remingtons, IMO.

A "real" Marlin will have JM stamped on the barrel near the receiver. The Remington guns have the letters REP.

The vote looks split right now 50/50 and I'm sure eventually it will go the way of the Marlin. (just what I've noticed in previous posts). In spite of that, I'd suggest the 92. I've owned several of them. They are extremely easy to work on (get Nate Jones's DVD), well balanced and can take a heavy load should you want to hunt with it as well. Mine were in stainless and I shot black powder. I never had a problem ever. Smithy.

I love my Rossi, made on the american :FlagAm: continent :rolleyes:

A friend of mine has a Marlin and I did a spring job to lighten it up, both rifles, my Rossi and his Marlin are very slick and I can't say I feel a real difference.

Shooting my Rossi now for 4 years with blackpowder, I only had one tiny loading gate problem.

I chose the Rossi because it was cheaper then any Uberti rifle and, because of the coil springs, more reliable. I don't want a "Federal Only" rifle.

I like the model '92 over the Marlin, but that is personal ofcourse.

Hope this adds to the confusion :lol:

John Wayne used a 92 in most, if not all of his movies. Even the ones from the Civil War :rolleyes:. Most of the movies and tv series made in the 40s-60s used a 92 carbine. The inherent speed may not be up to a tuned Marlin or toggle gun, but you can find a used one for $300-400 or so. Not sure what used Marlins are going for, but I would expect them to be higher. You never know on used Uberti toggle guns ($1000+ new, about $1500 new slicked up & short stroked). If you're like me, you find them cheap when you're broke and no where to be found when you have the funds.

I have a marlin and a 92 -- but it is a Doug Turnbull 92 -- a retrofied winchester (no safety, no rebounder-- original style lockwork). I also have a uberti 66.

The marlin is faster than the winchester 92 and the 66 is faster than both. If possible, bite the bullet and buy a 73 or 66 uberti. It will cost more, but you will only have to buy one rifle. ;)

I'll stir the ole camp fire coals. if you're considering a Marlin you may want to go here to learn what Marlin owners have to say.

As the folks above mentioned, if you can find a pre-Remington made Marlin you're ahead of the game.

The Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited edition models are in very short supply and command a hefty price. I know, I own one.

If you are lucky and do find a Marlin and want it tuned give Jimmy Spurs at Cowboy Gun Works a hollar.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Jake

TP put your badge number in you profile.Glad you had fun at the Fort.Dont think Chuckaroo has ever shot a really good 92,but that dont matter.If Duece is running the marlin it is faster than 90% or more of the shooters running 66s or 73s.If Possum is running a 92 it is faster than 50% of the shooter running a marlin,66,or 73,Possum shoots a 73.What you need to do is find what feels right to you.The 92,94 marlin,66 or the 73 with run as fast as the avg.shooter.I have as fast and as slick and short stroked 73 with 20" oct. barrel and I love it.I have a 92 slicked by Nate that I shoot more than my 73.It is alot lighter and with my RA keeps me from useing the 73 some time.I love my 92s,only out ran it one time and that was on a 5 shot dump.Find the rifle that feel the best to you and shoot it.The 92 or marlin or 66 or 73 , get what feels the best to you.I started with 92s that was what I could buy to start shooting saved a long time for a 73 and a cowboy on here saved it for me for over 3 month. Will never sell my 73, but will away have my brass 92.See you soon TP.

I have had both. 3 92's. And Marlins. Still got the Marlins.

That should tell ya which one I would go with.

I will have a good Marlin for sale. So if you want to try it just let me know.

Can meet you at a match, and you can shoot the match with it if you like. Then see

if you want to buy it.

Wife still has to pick which one of the 3 she is going to let go of. :unsure:

Will be a Spur Short Stroked one. Or the CBC. Both run really good.

Do you know of a source for the Marlin 1894 made by Marlin?

Howdy

You may not quite understand the situation. Marlin was bought a couple of years ago by the same holding company that owns Remington. Last year the plant in Connecticut where Marlins had been made for many, many years was shut down and the operation was transferred to the Remington plant in Ilion NY. Shortly after rifles started being produced in the NY location a lot of quality issues surfaced. There were many issues involved, worn out equipment, lack of trained personnel. So Remington shut down all production of Marlin rifles until they can get some new equipment in and get a better hold of the quality problems. Currently there are no Marlin rifles being manufactured until Remington straightens out the problems. As recently as a few weeks ago a CAS shooter was at the Shot Show in Las Vegas and the Remington officials there told him they were working on the problems, but production had not started up again yet. They did tell him they intended to start up again sometime, they were not going to let the brand die.

LOL.....But you forgot 6TH 94

OOOPPPSS

Musta been in a hurry.

1st 73

2nd 66

3rd Marlin

4th Henry

5th 94

6th Throw the bullet

7th 92

8th Lightning

Also are easy to sell in the same order.

And I did use a worked over 92. Makes a cool lamp!

What Pit Bull states in post #20 is pretty good advice.

Pick out your own rifle as to what feels best to you and go with it. Get the mods you want on it later, ifn you so desire. Or even keep it and buy another rifle of your choice later.

I settled on the Marlin 6 years ago because the 66 and 73's just didn't feel 'right' on my shoulder.

No matter what brand you decide to ride with, there are SUPER GOOD gunsmiths in SASS/CAS that can help you have a fine shootin gun.

Good luck and good shootin.

..........Widder

delete dont need to go there

The 92 is a good gun for starting shooters. The prices are great, especially if you're on a budget.

I have a Rossi 92, 45 Colt 24" octagonal, bought it new last year. Out of the box, the action was pretty stiff, but it fed EVERYTHING - even semiwadcutters. I upgraded the sights (factory sights are less than desirable), put in a gunslinger spring kit & polished all the insides, so now it is very smooth & shoots great.

The 92 action is not very forgiving, it takes a positive full opening stroke on the lever or it will toss out a live round. That makes it inherently slower than 60/66/73s or Marlins that you can short stroke.

Last fall, I was practicing at a friend's house & tried his full-race-prepped 73 in 45 Colt. I shot 10 rounds on the clock from my 92 & 10 from the 73. I was 2 full seconds faster with the 73.

I have started to outrun mine, so I just got an 1860 Henry (I know, I know, but it has charm & I got a great deal on it) that is smooth as butter. Next step for it is a short stroke kit.

Marlins quality did slip quite a bit after the Remington takeover but I think it is getting better. Some of the latest Remington-made Marlins I've looked at seem pretty good, although not as good as the pre-Remingtons, IMO.

As far as I know, Remington hasn't re-started production of the 1894 line - production was "temporarily, but indefinitely ceased" on August 12, 2011, and I hadn't heard about it starting back up again...?

Can meet you at a match, and you can shoot the match with it if you like. Then see

if you want to buy it.

AA: you ain't gettin rid of your Slick Widdermatic are ya?

..........Widder

Would love to have one of Widow's short barrel marlins for my grandson when he is ready.

My preferences:

1. Marlin

2. 73

3. 92

I started with a 92. It was ok but had a speed limit. I got a .45 Marlin and my wife got a .38 Marlin. They say these have speed limits too, but we haven't found them.

I got a 73, Put a short stroke kit in it and it was smooth, but I never could warm up to the extra drop in the stock to warm up to it so I sold it.

OOOPPPSS

Musta been in a hurry.

1st 73

2nd 66

3rd Marlin

4th Henry

5th 94

6th Throw the bullet

7th 92

8th Lightning

Also are easy to sell in the same order.

And I did use a worked over 92. Makes a cool lamp!

NOW That's funny I don't care who ya are.

Glad you included my brand new out of the box 5 second to cycle a round Henry :rolleyes: I have 6 Marlins and a Codymatic 73 Go with the Marlin ;) The 73 is the pick of the litter

http://i277.photobuc.../1329775626.jpg

http://i277.photobuc.../1329775626.jpg

What you need to do is find what feels right to you.

This is the best advice to give any new shooter. When you start this game, the choices seem overwhelming. What pistols, what rifle, what shotgun? All the while, you're looking at your wallet, saying, "What can I afford?" I second Pit Bull's advice -- find what feels right to you......the assumption is that you'll also pick something you can afford.

I started with a '92 that had the Nate Kiowa Jones action job (Steve's Gunz). It was a good rifle for me and my daughter when we first started. Later, we began to get faster, and we wanted something else. I saved up, and bought something else that suited us. Later, I bought another one for just her. All the while, we had something to shoot -- something that felt right to us.

If I had to start over, I probably wouldn't do anything differently. If money isn't an problem, you can certainly go out and buy a "race rifle" from the gunsmith of your choice. The reality is that most new shooters don't have an unlimited budget, and they need something to get into the game with -- with the opportunity to go to something else later on.

If you get a good (e.g. not one of the "new" Marlins with the quality issues) Marlin, at a good price, and it feels good to you, then go for it. If you find a '92 with a NKJ action job that feels good to you, go for it. If you can afford a racegun (short-stroked '73, '66, etc.) that feels good to you, then put yer money down.

Keep shootin' with those fine folks over at the Fort. They'll let you borrow their stuff (and if I'm there, you can shoot our stuff, too!). That's the best part of this game -- other shooters will let you try out the different guns available and you can make your own choices.

Good Luck and WELCOME!!!

Chick

if you want to buy it.

Thanks AA. I am interested. Can you provide photos and information on the one you offer? I would be more than glad to meet you at one of the meets. Thanks Texas Peacemaker

Archived