SASS Wire Forum

Clean Match

Griff

Shot my second clean match of the year today. It was typically slow... found on one stage that I was about to really start going fast... but my coat was a bit uncomfortable... so between the pistol and rifle I had to drop the coat! Hard to tell if that really slowed me down much... I was still second to last! But, as usual, I had a blast! Even found some BP rounds in my gun cart to spice up the day. I was going to say that I was slow as molasses... but, he beat me like a drum!

7 Clean matches today... out of some 26 shooters. Probably ain't a record. But, sure was fun hearin' all them names being called out!

What was really surprising tho'... there didn't seem to be any confusion over how to count misses, even when there was some less than unanimous numbers... it seemed like it worked out, just right... didn't see any confusion over who could call a procedural... I don't recall any MSVs or SDQs, so those calls were obviously not labored over either. Is it just me... or does it seem that only on the Wire do these things exist?

Congratulations!!

I think it is a balance between your top game and shooting a clean match. In fact, I think they go hand in hand.

I was afraid someone would mention that! :lol:^_^

A clean match is something I figure I can do, someday. Winning on points isn't, so I don't even try. Takes the pressure off, and allows me to shoot a greater variety of guns.

2 clean matches in 7 years. :huh:

What does that tell ya. :unsure:

Pretty much every match has been cleanalbe. I just don't find my

sight every time. Or some days at all.

So no. A clean match is not that important to me. But sure would like to

have a few more.

And something I REALLY need to work on. But I am not willing to slow down much to

get there.

When it comes to speed, I know my limitations. There is no way I will ever beat those shooters I normally compete against in my category; they are simply too fast for me. A clean match is definitely more important to me.

Reality is: my reactions are not that fast, therefore, I know I'm not going to be the fastest. My goal: to be competitive (I always check the times to see how I fared compared to the others in my category. I'm still looking for that first clean match and that's on the wish list. And, yea, I do live up to my alias.

Barry Sloe

Howdy

I don't give a hoot about shooting fast. I like shooting a clean match in CAS and hitting all the targets in Trap. So far only one clean match this year, and I think I only hit all the Trap targets a couple of times.

I have been shooting a little over a year.Been shooting GF about 6 months. Dont have a clean match,still trying.I am not fast but getting faster.I dont shoot against anyone but me.Shot my best 6 stages last sunday.Shot 4 clean and had 2 misses each on 2 stages.That was my fastest also,I shot my slowest rifle ,my brass 92.Have more fun each time out.I like to call it a clean match if I dont get a P.Had no Ps.

I keep trying to get faster, but not at the price of losing my accuracy. Shooting clean matches is way more important to me than speed, since I'll never be very fast anyway. At my age, my reflexes just are too slow for any amount of speed, while retaining accuracy. I have been shooting 3 matches a month for 15 months, missing only a couple along the way, and have shot 7 clean matches so far. This is what I strive for, and am enjoying CAS more than any of the many shooting disiplines that I have participated in over the last 60 years. It's just plain fun.

RBK

I am not a fast shooter, especially as I get older. Try to finish in top 25% of the shooters at a match whether it be big or small. Sometimes better, usually not worse unless I have a total train wreck. I do shoot as fast as I can tho. I do get a number of clean matches, almost half those I shoot. Learned a long time ago, that I could not shoot fast enough to make up for a miss. At my age a P at a match is as likely as a miss anymore. Sometimes if I am doing well in the competition and still clean, I might slow down a tiny bit to make sure on the last stage I stay clean.

I go, I shoot, I have a great time with some great people. Time? I'm definately not fast and I don't pay too much attention to misses.

However, as soon as someone says, "Hey Crusty, you got a clean match going!" It's a fore gone conclusion that I will miss a couple on the next stage.

My $.02.

Clean match is my challenge. Only 2, one with a little help ;)

My goal going into every match is to shoot clean and fast. I succeed sometimes (slightly over 10% so far this year). I hope to improve on that considerably in 2012 after finding out yesterday that the rifle was sighted 4-5" high. That makes a big difference on chickens!

Olen

Depends on my mood, but overall I'll take a clean match.

As far as the other things go, they do exist, but not near as much as you'd think reading the wire. Or at least that's been my experience rounds these parts.

I like having the lowest possible (for my ability) time per stage and match. Shooting clean is a big part of acheiving this goal.

I can not shoot fast enough on all the other stages to make up for a miss.

Blastmaster

+1

I try to shoot as fast as possible and if I manage to miss, it is typically not because I have failed to aim properly, but instead have failed to follow through properly. I've had a bunch of clean matches and almost without fail, they are my best matches. I try to shoot to a level where I can see the ragged edge, but am not riding it. :D

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I usually finish in the bottom 1/3rd so after 6 years I switched to duelist which didnt slow me down (that much) but I finally got my first clean match. Fast would be nice but slow with a lot of misses isnt really fun

I try to shoot as fast as I can without having a trainwreck. The first clean match that I shot, I did slow way down on the last stage to make sure that I shot it clean.

I had a real dilemna on the last match that I shot. I was clean through 5 stages, but I also had shot each stage in under 30 seconds (really good for me). I wanted to shoot every stage under 30 seconds, but didn't want to blow the clean match. I decided to go fast, but 1/2 way through the stage I almost missed a rifle shot. I slowed down after that. Shot clean but it took me 31 seconds. Still my best match ever by a long shot.

I like having the lowest possible (for my ability) time per stage and match. Shooting clean is a big part of acheiving this goal.

I can not shoot fast enough on all the other stages to make up for a miss.

Blastmaster

Yeah right!! :)

How many times have I watched in amazement as you whomped on me after a miss? Answer - so many I lost count!

Anyway I am looking for a clean match much more than speed lately. A lack of practice has really diminished my pace (not that fast to begin with :) )

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

+1

I try to shoot as fast as possible and if I manage to miss, it is typically not because I have failed to aim properly, but instead have failed to follow through properly. I've had a bunch of clean matches and almost without fail, they are my best matches. I try to shoot to a level where I can see the ragged edge, but am not riding it. :D

Maybe I can learn something. I know what a follow through in a golf swing is, but never heard it used for a shooting. Please help me understand follow through.

Maybe I can learn something. I know what a follow through in a golf swing is, but never heard it used for a shooting. Please help me understand follow through.

I've heard thousands of times that follow through is a bogus concept since you can't affect the bullet once it's left the barrel. With that in mind, I think of follow through as being less of what you DO and more of what you DON'T do. DON'T anticipate the shot. DON'T start putting your pistol away until after that final shot has left the barrel. DON'T lever your rifle until you've broken the current shot. Things like that.

I try to shoot as fast as possible and if I manage to miss, it is typically not because I have failed to aim properly, but instead have failed to follow through properly. I've had a bunch of clean matches and almost without fail, they are my best matches. I try to shoot to a level where I can see the ragged edge, but am not riding it.

What he said. If I have to slow down or not shoot at my normal speed a clean match doesn't mean much to me; I try to shoot as fast as I can no matter what the shape, size or distance to the targets; I try to maintain the same speed for my transitions from gun to gun, movement and placement of weapons. Like Buck, some of my fastest matches have been clean matches. I also feel that, at least for me, if I'm at a big match and am shooting pretty quickly, I can afford @ two misses (on separate stages) and still place pretty well.

Follow through to me means after I have the target in my sights, I maintain trigger control and not jerk the trigger because that just throws everything off.

I've heard thousands of times that follow through is a bogus concept since you can't affect the bullet once it's left the barrel. With that in mind, I think of follow through as being less of what you DO and more of what you DON'T do. DON'T anticipate the shot. DON'T start putting your pistol away until after that final shot has left the barrel. DON'T lever your rifle until you've broken the current shot. Things like that.

If you have ever watched Philly from behind.......

You know what not to do!

With the guns we shoot, and the ammo we use, follow through is still important. It's not so hard to pull a gun off target after pulling in the trigger and before the bullet leaves the barrel. Once saw someone hit a different target doing it, high speed film and couldn't tell for sure until watching the video. Trigger squeeze while lined up on one target, bullet hit a different target.

Slow lock time, low velocities.

You can't miss fast enough to win.

Sure you can. ;) If a shooter can get off two shots before you get off one, even if he misses with the first shot his second shot will get you before you've fired your first. :o Therefore, he missed fast enough to win. B)

In my case as a gunfighter, pulling the trigger of the pistol I'm aiming before moving my head to align the sights on the other pistol. Sometimes instead of aim, pull trigger, aim pull trigger, I'll fall into aim, aim, pull trigger...uh pull trigger. When my head moves to the other pistol, my arm is likely to some extent follow it.

I've seen bunches of people fail to follow through with pistols and long guns. They actually aim, but before they get the trigger pulled, they direct their attention to the next task whether it be holstering the pistol or laying down the rifle. End result is a miss.

Archived