SASS Wire Forum

Who's making new sxs

Colt Walker 45

Is anyone shooting a Yildiz? I looked at one at Academy. They look nice, cost a little more than a Stoeger, stay open when opened, but are stiff as a board out-of the-box.

Pioneer Arms Co., high class hammered double: http://www.pioneer-pac.com/100eb-12ga-pioneer-185-1290,1.html

TB

Just checked the SKB and Browning sites and they say their SxS have been dis-continued, so do we only have Stoeger and CZ making them? Have not shot any CZ's, has anyone shot or own them?

While the Broownings have been discontinued, they can still be readily found. I know Ol' #4 and a few other folks out there have them available and already tuned up to be race ready.

Boothill

Pedersoli also offers their coach gun, the "Wyatt Earp." Beautiful gun. Can be ordered without the "Wyatt Earp" engraving on the side. I have one and they are AWSOME!!

Coffinmaker

PS: Pioneer Gunworks is also offering a hammerless, tuned up ready to go.

Is anyone shooting a Yildiz? I looked at one at Academy. They look nice, cost a little more than a Stoeger, stay open when opened, but are stiff as a board out-of the-box.

Talked with one of our cowboy gun smiths that got ahold of one.

First report was NOT good.

Talked with one of our cowboy gun smiths that got ahold of one.

First report was NOT good.

I agree. For what we do the best style SXS action type is the ANSON AND DEELEY. That Yildiz is more like the Purdy. It uses rockers to cock the hammers not plungers/struts.

If you must have a single trigger SXS hold out for the SKB or the BSS. I'm not a big fan of any of the low end single trigger guns, even the Baikals. Even the SKB's and the BSS's have been known to single or worse double but it seems the low end gun are more prone.

If you can settle for a two trigger gun I personally think the Baikals,Spartan,bounty hunter is as good as it gets for this game. Even though they are pretty stiff out of the box they are better built than the Stoeger and clean up well.You will see where some folks have had ribs separate or the foreirn hang breaking off but everyone I have examined these problem were cause because the gun was not setup right from the get/go.

The beauty of a two trigger gun is it is actually two guns in one, with two separate fire control groups and less parts to fail. If one side goes down you can still finish by just loading the side that still works. Also, for the right handed shooter, the triggers can be switched, the front trigger to the left side and once it is pulled the finger can easily slip straight back to the rear which is now on the right side. You don't have to reach around and behind the front trigger to get to the back trigger. I personally think this is a faster setup than even the single trigger guns because you don't have to let up on the trigger to get a reset required of the single trigger gun. This setup so fast it can make it seem almost like both trigger were pulled at the same time.

When you can find them it's tough to beat the value of the Charles Daly 500. Like the BSS and SKB it's also made by Miroku. Unlike them it has double triggers and a good smithy can make them really fast.

Gunbroker auctions run about $500.

I bought a Yildiz and sent it to Goatneck Clem. They are very nice on the outside, a little rough inside. He did a good job with it. It wasn't that bad out-of-the-box, much smoother now. Goatneck was very clear in telling me it's not a BSS or SKB. He rated the quality somewhere near a Baikal. I have not had a chance to shoot it much, I really got it as a backup to my SKB or to let my wife shoot it the few times she does shoot (I don't want her using my SKB).

The thing is, for half the price of an SKB it's a nice shotgun. It would be good for someone just getting started. Time will tell how well it holds up. I plan to shoot it more to see if it breaks.

Out of curiosity, has anyone looked at the Beretta SxS shotguns? Expensive, and I assume they would need ejectors disabled, but I also assume they are good quality.

http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Field-guns/Side-by-Side/index.aspx?m=82&idc=20

Out of curiosity, has anyone looked at the Beretta SxS shotguns? Expensive, and I assume they would need ejectors disabled, but I also assume they are good quality.

http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Field-guns/Side-by-Side/index.aspx?m=82&idc=20

I could get two SKBs all slicked up for CAS for the price of one of those.... :mellow:

They better be good quality for that much cash, but I doubt you'll see one at a cowboy match.

I could get two SKBs all slicked up for CAS for the price of one of those.... :mellow:

They better be good quality for that much cash, but I doubt you'll see one at a cowboy match.

I agree they are very expensive, but I thought I would point them out. So far I'm happy with my Stoeger. So long as it goes bang, I'll probably keep shooting it. I am fond of Beretta, though.

Pedersoli also offers their coach gun, the "Wyatt Earp." Beautiful gun. Can be ordered without the "Wyatt Earp" engraving on the side. I have one and they are AWSOME!!

Coffinmaker

PS: Pioneer Gunworks is also offering a hammerless, tuned up ready to go.

Yup. I saw one of the Pedersoli Wyatt Earp guns at EoT this year and was very impressed by its overall fit and finish. Seemed to be very well built too. Higher on the price side than I cared for at first thought, but it IS a Pedersoli afterall. It was close to coming home with me but I left it there... ^_^

I love the Pioneer Hammered shotgun too. Still have not seen one in person that was for sale though.

The Pedersoli was stock, no tuning while for the same price the Pioneer comes tuned for CAS.

Too many toys, too little time to shoot 'em all.

Dan

On edit: This site indicates the WE shotgun is tuned from the factory. I saw no indication of this with one in my hands nor did the Cimarron rep say it was when I asked if any were available tuned. Hmm.

Hey Colt Walker check with Johnny Meadows in Verde Valley. He can fix you up with SKB 100.

Jackrabbit

Archived