SASS Wire Forum

Heckling the Shooter

Lone Dog, SASS #20401

Here awhile back I was in the peanut gallery as the shooter approached the firing point. A funny comment occurred to me and I gave it voice. The posse erupted in laughter except for the shooter who was not so amused. After staging the long guns, the shooter tossed a cow chip at me which would have impacted my schnoz had I not deflected it with me brass shaggin' basket.

Which led to a discussion about how much harrassment a shooter should be expected to endure. We have always hoo-rahed each other unmercifully at our local matches up until the beep, at which time we concentrate on spotting and other serious duties. The shooter I popped off at brought up the point that the shooter should not have to put up with any such nonsense from the LT to the ULT. They may be getting into the "zone". Of course this would certainly be the norm at a major match. I had never even considered it would be a no no at a little friendly all for fun local match. I would hate to see our fun loving tradition go away. The shooter remains a close friend.

Whadda y'all think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of tha time I give as good as I get. Sometimes I AG A VATE a little too hard I'm sure. But if someone don't go with it just back off. It ain't worth loosing a friend over.

RRR

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

some foks get pretty serious about the time they go up to the LT until they are at the ULT, these folks I leave alone. Otherwise I am unable to let a little teaseing go past up until the shooter is on the line. Of course I have been known not to get too serious until I am at the line.

Dang. Ya say he tossed a cow pie at ya.

I want to buy that man a beer. :huh:

My answer is. Depends on the shooter. Most around here can take it pretty good.

There are a few that don't. Ya got to know which ones.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Heckling the Shooter how much is acceptable?

Up to the point where there's some Shootin' the Heckler.

'Til then... it's A-OK.

ts

A good joke or remark depends entirely on the timing and how well you know the person. Speaking VERY broadly, I try to notice whether a person is in a "thinking" mode or similar isolated state of consciousness. If they're chatting with you or the group it's probably ok to say something. If I'm unsure, I won't say anything that might interrupt a train of thought, especially as the shooter approaches the firing line.

In my case, my train of thought is usually late pulling into the station anyway, so a comment isn't likely to affect the outcome. :lol:

It's OK till you have to back-up from the roar of my guns ,,,,,ta think .....

Some folks don't take well to it ,,,,,, Their faces usually look like they been sucking lemmons ....

Have fun while having a blast ,,,,, That's Me ..

Jabez Cowboy

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

You New guy's don't know what heckling is..

Back one day, a Certain State Championship, held in a State known for it's permissive behavior of sorts, had a lady of questionable background, who was hired by some Male Counterparts from the SASS Family,to show up at the Final Top Shoot Off. The intended Target, whose name will remain confidential, came to the line and just before the T/O asked him if he was ready, The aforementioned, lady who could only be seen by the shooter, opened her full length coat and exposed herself. All of herself, as if there was any other kind.(Well maybe at least one or two others saw her). Try and shoot the shoot off with that beauty stuck in your mind.

Shooter Up....ROFLMAO

Back one day, a Certain State Championship, held in a State known for it's permissive behavior of sorts, had a lady of questionable background, who was hired by some Male Counterparts from the SASS Family,to shop up at the Final Top Shoot Off. The intended Target, whose name will remain confidential, came to the line and just before the T/O asked him if he was ready, The aforementioned, lady who could only be seen by the shooter, opened her full length coat and exposed herself. All of herself, as if there was any other kind.(Well maybe at least one or two others saw her). Try and shoot the shoot off with that beauty stuck in your mind.

Shooter Up....ROFLMAO

Who said running tha timer was work? I'm ya man. Shooter ready.

RRR

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

You'd have to be crazy to heckle a shooter especially if he hasn't shot yet, with two loaded pistols a rifle and a shotgun near bye you could be accidently shot. Or have your skull cracked in after he has staged his long guns. This is to be a fun sport not suicide when he accidently trips with a loaded gun and shots you four times before he stops firing. Fun is fun but this is still a dangerous sport. Be careful what you say and do at a shoot.

ENG :FlagAm:

Back one day, a Certain State Championship, held in a State known for it's permissive behavior of sorts, had a lady of questionable background, who was hired by some Male Counterparts from the SASS Family,to show up at the Final Top Shoot Off. The intended Target, whose name will remain confidential, came to the line and just before the T/O asked him if he was ready, The aforementioned, lady who could only be seen by the shooter, opened her full length coat and exposed herself. All of herself, as if there was any other kind.(Well maybe at least one or two others saw her). Try and shoot the shoot off with that beauty stuck in your mind.

Shooter Up....ROFLMAO

my-my-my

some :wub: purty little philly :wub: cud do that prank to me any old time

even these days !

of course that was before we waz shooting for big $$

You should know the shooter well enough to know for sure they can "take it" before you "dish it out".

Exactly. Some people are easily distracted and don't appreciate it.

some

:wub: purty little philly :wub: cud do that prank to me any old time

even these days !

of course that was before we waz shooting for big $$

Does Philly Slim know about your feelings on this?

Cuz I know I aint interested in seeing him in his birthday suit.

Kid Sopris;

I think I know the shoot/shooter you were talking about.... ;-)

From the loading table to the unloading table is sacrosanct.

Other than that, as several wise posters have noted, you'd better know the shooter, their attitude, and even the day, and even then, call your shots wisely and sparingly.

Cheers,

FJT

From the loading table to the unloading table is sacrosanct.

Other than that, as several wise posters have noted, you'd better know the shooter, their attitude, and even the day, and even then, call your shots wisely and sparingly.

Cheers,

FJT

I agree, we all like to yuk it up, but from LT to ULT is best to leave the shooter alone. ;)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Shooter Up....ROFLMAO

Heck, memories last a lifetime........trophies hang on the wall. Lessen there was a Caddy involved, I'd take the mamm er memories. Just me I guess.

Shooter Up....ROFLMAO

Was that the time FJT forgot to load his pistols?

The is a "Rule of Unlimited Banter" between Dash Caliber and I.

Talon Mcleod can also give it as well as he takes. Which is a lot.

Big John Denny....don't let him get started on ya! He doesn't always say much, but when he does it is truthful, stinging and much deserved.

I agree, we all like to yuk it up, but from LT to ULT is best to leave the shooter alone. ;)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

+1

I'm often the taker and giver of plenty of hecklin', and it's great at monthlies. I have had a problem with it at a state level match, where the TO decided to do some heckling just as I was finishing staging my guns. I had left the loading table very focused, this broke it and was not much appreciated. At a normal match, no problem. At a state match, once shooter has left the loading table, inappropriate. As RRR said though, still not worth losing a friend over.

I have a question

You said (the shooter tossed a cow chip at me)

Where yall shooting at for him to get a cow chip on a stage????????????

HOWDY; SO I guess standing on the rope so a knock down can not fall might be considered a wee bit over the top!

Hey only a fella with an alias like Vicious could be that cruel! I like loading multiple clays on throw up targets. If ya do it right they fly in different directions.

I have a question

You said (the shooter tossed a cow chip at me)

Where yall shooting at for him to get a cow chip on a stage????????????

We shoot in a cattle/turkey/buffalo over-run mesquite jungle where the "ammo" for cow chip tossin' is layin' around everywhere. You just gotta be careful it's sufficiently "dry".

I remember one time the last shot of the stage was with the shotgun in hand and loaded. From behind the RO would toss a water balloon in the air when the shooter said "pull". Unbeknownst to me the entire posse had armed themselves with a water balloon bird. When I yelled pull about a dozen different-colored balloons went up. I missed 'em all I was laughin' so hard. It was just like when a covey of bob white explode from underfoot. You gotta concentrate on one at a time and I just couldn't. The dirty varmints still gave me a miss.

It's nice to be loved. If folks weren't hecklin' and harrassin' me it wouldn't be near so much fun. I love this game. And the tomfoolery.

Back in the DARK AGES, when I was a so called "Fast Shooter", we had a stage where you had to shoot sitting on the back of a wooden horse (yea, THAT long ago). I shot it pretty quickly. I took the timer after I was done, and a friend was just about to shoot it. He got hung up bad on trying to put his rifle away. As he finally got his 1st pistol round out, I said outloud "I was done by now". To which I got a LOUD but laughing F U! Its been 12 or 13 years since then, and I STILL hear that line from people. So, be careful what you say when heckleing, it can haunt you.

hud (whos done now)

Archived