SASS Wire Forum

Reloading time again -- what is your most hated part of the process?

Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381

Every once in a while, I have to take my crimp die apart to clean out all the excess BP lube that has built up inside it. Talk about a pain in the patootie...

And I don't like having to shake out all the tumbling media out of the brass once the tumbling is done. And none of those little shaker baskets you can buy don't work like you hope they will. I'm sure other's mileage may vary, but they have never worked that well for me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a kitchen table reloader, so I hate setting up everything just to have to put it away when my wife says 'this house looks like a damn bullet factory'.

Paying For da "Primers"

Ya would think they was made of "Gold".....

Don't mind priming ,,,, grab a Hand-primer ,,,, toss one to each of the boys ,,,, put on a Western and watch those primers disapear from their cartons......

Jabez Cowboy

Keeps the fire risk more manageable. :rolleyes:

Spent primers on the floor are hard on the bare feet.

That explains it. In Arizona the driveway is either too hot or too cold to go barefooted to the reloading garage so I never have been forced to sweep them up.

I have a single stage press and do every step of my reloading by hand ie. priming, trimming, etc. So other than casting bullets, I don't much like trimming and prepping new cases which I do only once when I start with new brass. Smithy.

I actually enjoy reloading (the Dillon 550 certainly helps). I guess if I had to pick my least favorite task, it would be sorting/inspecting the brass and even that is not too bad.

Cassalong Hopidy

Loading gets old real quick for me. I don't mind loading the primer tubes. I dislike sitting and cranking the handle. I can't load very many at a time because I get tired of it. I once thought I might try casting my bullets. But then I thought, I don't like loading them, why would I want to have to cast the bullets too. One time I decided to load for an hour straight. I loaded 6 primer tubes and emptied them in a little less than an hour on my 550. Usually, I can only sit long enough to load 100-200 rounds.

I love all of it because I love every aspect of shooting. I could have any reloading equipment I want, but choose Lee Classic, Lee dies and the sheer magic of creating my own ammunition one round at a time.

I have a single stage press and do every step of my reloading by hand ie. priming, trimming, etc. So other than casting bullets, I don't much like trimming and prepping new cases which I do only once when I start with new brass. Smithy.

Heads up Smithy, ya don't need to trim straight walled pistol brass. There, I saved all that time and grief.

Yeah count me along with the guys who can never get all the media out of the cases. That's why I hate the tumbling and sorting. I pulled some bullets on some ammo years ago and was not pleased to find some kernels of walnut media mixed in with the powder. I tap each case upside down on the bench to make sure I have knocked all the media out. When sorting a few hundred cases, that eats up a lot of time.

And I don't have the patience to sit and load more than 200 rounds at a time on my progressive press either.

When I first started reloading I was all excited about making my own ammo and customizing it for my needs and all that stuff. It gets old pretty fast. Now the only reason I reload is because it is cheaper than buying factory ammo.

Dang I hate to fill primer tubes. I don't know why, but I hate filling primer tubes. :wacko: I just finished up with 20 tubes in preparation for cranking the Dillon handle.

What is your least favorite part of reloading?

Running out of lead bullets, then its gunno take 2 days standing over a lead pot., even with two 6 cav. moulds.

but gotta love it.

CCBA :FlagAm:

You guys slay me. If a beautiful woman kissed you, you would complain about her lipstick!

Reloading is therapy after a day of work. I love it.

Lubing.

Putting it on the brass -- then taking the @#$% off the brass.

And don't say carbide. They can't make .45-70 carbide dies. Nor 30-06, nor 223, nor....

Checking every round with a case gauge and inspecting every round for cracks or imperfections. Then separating cannelured brass from solid wall brass. Cannelured brass goes on pistol side of box, solid wall goes on rifle side. I can do the inspection while driving to the range, however I prefer to do crossword puzzles.

LL' :lol:

You guys slay me. If a beautiful woman kissed you, you would complain about her lipstick!

Reloading is therapy after a day of work. I love it.

J-Bar - Im with you..filling primer tubes is reason to sit on couch n watch gunsmoke, the virginian, bonanza, etc. I bought a used 650 off the wire when I started 2 years ago...so even though it has issues (throws about 1 every 15 on the floor, case gets stuck in the hole above station 1, and like Buck D Law my work bench is full of media n the floor has spent primers everywhere...) I still get great therapy out of pulling that black ball...

Kid Doubleday

And don't say carbide. They can't make .45-70 carbide dies. Nor 30-06, nor 223, nor....

Same with 44-40.

Getting started. Once in motion, this object tends to stay in motion.

I don't mind filling primer tubes, I do it inside while the Western channel is playing.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Hated part? None! I love reloading. :wub::wub:

THE ONLY PART I HATE IS THE OUTRAGEOUS PRICE OF SOME COMPONENTS---

MAINLY PRIMERS.

Mustang Gregg

(Castin' & blasting)

Reloading is the price you pay to play. I have done all my reloading for the past 40

years on a Rockchucker press. Best machine ever made, will never wear out in my lifetime.

Because of Ohio winters I have plenty of time to get everything loaded that I will need

to shoot all summer. Reloading is thereputical it gives me time to think about the fun

I had last summer and the places and people I will see next summer. I am iced in for

today so I think I will be spending some time in the basement loading blackpowder

shotgun shells, it beats watching Opera.

Charlie

Picking up the grains of powder with tweezers and putting them into the case....1,2,3 and then cutting the next one in half with a razor blade. It's very time consuming.

That is what they mean when they recommend 3.5 grains isn't it?

Picking up the grains of powder with tweezers and putting them into the case....1,2,3 and then cutting the next one in half with a razor blade. It's very time consuming.

That is what they mean when they recommend 3.5 grains isn't it?

Dang it, Cypress, I told you to get the Popeil Pocket Powder Prestidigitator. It slices, it dices, it vacuums, it... :P

I like reloading, but I seem to skip a lot of the steps that a lot of you hate. I only have to set up my dies once for each caliber (Lee Classic Turret). I don't have any primer tubes to fill. I don't lube or trim cases. I don't really inpect the brass other than giving it a quick look when I put it in the shellholder. I've never had a piece of brass crack; I mark the base with a sharpie when the primer hole gets loose and throw them out after shooting. For me, this seems to occur before any splitting.

I can honestly say that reloading pistol rounds on the Lee Classic Turret is a job that I look forward to doing.

I really enjoy reloading and it has such great therapeudic value I almost hate going to the range to empty the cases.

Dang it, Cypress, I told you to get the Popeil Pocket Powder Prestidigitator. It slices, it dices, it vacuums, it... :P

I did get that. It worked great until I lost the grain granulator bushing. On the bright side, I still use the free Poleil Pocket Fisherman when I go offshore Marlin fishing. :o

I did get that. It worked great until I lost the grain granulator bushing. On the bright side, I still use the free Poleil Pocket Fisherman when I go offshore Marlin fishing. :o

That's not very sporting going after Marlin with such heavy gear. ;)

Archived