SASS Wire Forum

Reloading time again -- what is your most hated part of the process?

Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381

So those are your two choices for when you are iced in, reload or watch opera?

My wife told me it was Oprah that's how much I watch TV. I am normally working but

because of the storm I stayed home. When you have to count out all those little grains

of blackpowder to get 60 grains for shotgun shells you don't have time for anything

else.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoy reloading and it has such great therapeudic value I almost hate going to the range to empty the cases.

I like going to the range and shooting them up, then I have more empty cases to reload :rolleyes:

In the winter though I've got 3 months with no shoots, so right now I have all my ammo loaded up. So now no shoots to go to and no ammo to load, guess I'll go dryfire....

You guys slay me. If a beautiful woman kissed you, you would complain about her lipstick!

Sorry, kissing a beautiful woman is nothing like pulling a reloading press handle. I kiss a beautiful woman all the time, Mrs Johnson. And I don't care what lipstick she is wearing. Kissing her is nothing like reloading.

I do take as much of the extra work out of reloading as possible. I don't understand you guys that keep resetting your dies. Aren't there locking rings on your dies? If I reload on my old single stage, all I do is screw in the die until the locking ring bottoms on the press body. With my progressive presses, I just pop the dies into the presses using the L&L collets, even faster than screwing them into my old Lyman press. And I have never trimmed a case in my life.

But since I shoot Black Powder in CAS I do have to go through a few more steps than you Smokeless guys. Like casting my bullets and lubesizing them. Generally I get all my casting for the season out of the way one weekend in the fall. I can size while I am watching TV at night.

By I will be the first to admit, I don't find anything therapeutic about reloading. To me, reloading is boring as heck. The main thing is trying to stay focused so I don't make some dumb mistake. I do have the radio on while I reload, but that's it for distractions.

I knew when I got into this game that I was going to have to reload if I wanted to play. Reloading for CAS for me is all about saving money over buying factory ammo. And I do save a lot. But it ain't therpeutic, it is dull, boring.

And I still hate sorting my brass after tumbling it.

Hey Drifty;,,,,,,,,

Ya All works too hard ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just un-screw that fitting in da top of that ole single stage press and put a L&L adapter in it's place ... Then No more screwing dies at all ....

Jabez Cowboy

Hey Drifty;,,,,,,,,

Ya All works too hard ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just un-screw that fitting in da top of that ole single stage press and put a L&L adapter in it's place ... Then No more screwing dies at all ....

What fitting? There ain't no fitting on my old Lyman single stage press. The dies screw right into the body of the press.

Lyman Press

I know all about L&L collets, but they don't save that much time when loading on a single stage. It only takes five seconds to screw in the die, then I run all the cases through for that die. Not like setting up a progressive where it really does save time.

There are countries where shooting and reloading are not allowed. Until the USA descends into that pit, I will not complain about any task related to shooting, reloading, bullet casting, etc. These ARE the good old days.

Dang I hate to fill primer tubes. I don't know why, but I hate filling primer tubes. :wacko: I just finished up with 20 tubes in preparation for cranking the Dillon handle.

What is your least favorite part of reloading?

NONE . . I love :wub: all of it :)

There are countries where shooting and reloading are not allowed. Until the USA descends into that pit, I will not complain about any task related to shooting, reloading, bullet casting, etc. These ARE the good old days.

+1

I don't HATE any of it...most difficult task is separating the nickel from the shiney "brass" brass after tumbling.

(maybe oughta think about sorting them BEFORE cleaning?) :rolleyes:

Most time consuming "job" is switching out the SDB (.38spl) for the Rock Chucker (w/PiggyBack II's set up for .44spl & .45 Colt).

Only got room on the reloading bench for one press at a time.

I have a "Grasshopper" what likes to pull the handle. She also reloads all the primer tubes after each session for the next run.

My primary function on reloading night is to check for high primers and box up the finished rounds.

(after either calling in a pizza strike or fixin' dinner)

We both shop around for the best prices on components...& the ½ hour drive to BADMAN BULLETS (to save shipping costs) is one of MY 'perks'. ^_^

I kinda enjoy the reloadin time. Iffin I cant be shootin I am gettin ready for the next time. The only part of the entire job that I really don't like is the cleaning of the primer pockets. The tumbler or vibratory cleaner dont get the carbon out of the pockets and there is most always a piece of media stuck in the flash hole that needs to be poked out along with the carbon build-up.

Archived