SASS Wire Forum

School Me on Shipping

Concho Billy

So, I took some clean brass, primers removed to a local shipping store all packaged, addressed, and ready to go. I was told that I could not ship anything firearm related by any means or method unless I hold a Federal Firearms License...they sent me to a local FFL who told me, yes, we get a lot of business from that store, we just shipped a scope for a customer because the store refused saying the scope could eventually be attached to a firearm.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Anyone can ship brass with spent primers via any shipping service (USPS, UPS, FedEx, ect.)

Anyone can ship brass with live primers if appropriately packed and labeled with HazMat symbol on the package but can only be shipped via UPS and only from a UPS main hub.

Anyone can ship live ammo. Treat the same way as brass with live primers.

Individuals cannot ship powder or primers without proper HazMat certification.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 4

Shipping ammo or brass with live primers.

Use UPS

No special labelling or fees.

But, this image needs to be on 2 sides of the box:

I've done it many times -- Easy-Peasy -- just need to go to a local UPS hub, not a UPS store.

--Dawg

how-to-ship-ammunition-B-1224444-Q421.jpeg

• Like 2

Concho,

this is interesting.  What part of The Republic do you hail from?

is the shipping store part of a chain?  or stand-alone?

could be as simple as a decision of the owners/operators--it's their business after all

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Concho,

this is interesting.  What part of The Republic do you hail from?

is the shipping store part of a chain?  or stand-alone?

could be as simple as a decision of the owners/operators--it's their business after all

I'm live in Meadowlakes, Texas the store is in Marble Falls, Texas. I guess it is probably locally owned, but this guy told me matter of fact that "I" could Not ship anything firearm related without a FFL, and further told me that the people who ship brass, ammo, gun parts to me are shipping illegally if they don't have an FFL.

Edited by Concho Billy
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Use UPS

I've done it many times -- Easy-Peasy -- just need to go to a local UPS hub, not a UPS store.

--Dawg

I live in small town Texas, the closest UPS hub is about a two hour round trip for me, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

That store is so full of bull excrement. I use the post office for such items in the Flat rate boxes. 

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Anyone can ship brass with spent primers via any shipping service (USPS, UPS, FedEx, ect.)

Anyone can ship brass with live primers if appropriately packed and labeled with HazMat symbol on the package but can only be shipped via UPS and only from a UPS main hub.

Anyone can ship live ammo. Treat the same way as brass with live primers.

Individuals cannot ship powder or primers without proper HazMat certification.

1 hour ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

What he said!!

Last year both UPS changed their policy to require all firearm related items to be shipped by an FFL holder. 

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page#:~:text=a contractual service.-,UPS does not accept Firearms or Firearm Parts for shipment,nonfunctional frame or receiver (as

At one time this was also true for fedex. But a check of their website no longer has that requirement. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

If UPS discovers that the item is firearm related and you did not tell them they will confiscate your shipment. 

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If UPS discovers that the item is firearm related and you did not tell them they will confiscate your shipment. 

One of the many reasons I refuse to use UPS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I don't believe that ammo or brass, whether live primed or not, meet the description of firearm or firearm parts as defined by UPS themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

I don't believe that ammo or brass, whether live primed or not, meet the description of firearm or firearm parts as defined by UPS themselves.

I doubt that a minimum wage clerk would know the difference. 

BTW I also refuse to use UPS. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

They do not meet the description. That may not be important.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I doubt that a minimum wage clerk would know the difference. 

BTW I also refuse to use UPS. 

3 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

They do not meet the description. That may not be important.

The last time I shipped anything UPS was in 2020. That was some live primed brass in one shipment and some live ammo in another shipment...neither of which can be shipped USPS. Otherwise, I would NEVER use UPS for anything.

• Like 1

Make an account on Pirate Ship. It's free. Get some flat-rate boxes from the USPS. Get a printer and print your own paid shipping labels through Pirate Ship at a nice discount. Put the box in your mailbox with the flag up, and the US mail patron will take it without you going into town.

https://ship.pirateship.com/

You can use the same service for UPS and drop it off at any UPS retailer, such as ACE Hardware or the UPS Store. If I go in with a pre-paid box, they weigh it to make sure it has the correct weight that was paid for, hand me a receipt, and never ask questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to the attached regs, scopes were specifically mention as NOT being a firearm part.

On 4/29/2024 at 7:07 PM, Concho Billy said:

I'm live in Meadowlakes, Texas the store is in Marble Falls, Texas. I guess it is probably locally owned, but this guy told me matter of fact that "I" could Not ship anything firearm related without a FFL, and further told me that the people who ship brass, ammo, gun parts to me are shipping illegally if they don't have an FFL.

Thats simply not true, bless his heart. You do NOT have to have an FFL to SHIP ammo - only to manufacture for sale. Gun parts without serial numbers aren’t FFL items either… a scope requires an FFL? Nope. Brass? 

Silly. 

Find another shipper. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1

Over the last many years, I find problems in shipping mostly come direct from the ignorance of the clerk receiving the package for shipping. They typically do not understand their own rules. I've found this most prevalent at USPS. I quit using UPS about 4 years ago and don't plan on going back.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 4:08 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Use UPS

--Dawg

Local UPS that will ship live ammo is 110 miles from me.

DEPENDS (not those in Plastic Bags).  Shipping bulk Petroleum Product - BIG Ship.  Thousands of containers - BIGGER ship.  Frozen Fish - Little ship.  Oh sorry, wrong kind of shipping :rolleyes:  OOPs, forgot, Live Lobsters go Over Night Air Freight - real expensive :ph34r: 

• Sad 1

On 4/29/2024 at 6:07 PM, Concho Billy said:

He is an idiot, liar or both.

12 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

He is an idiot, liar or both.

Those might be too light of a description...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Those might be too light of a description...

Really sounds like a full fledged anti-gun jerk running the establishment!

On 4/29/2024 at 5:56 PM, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

That store is so full of bull excrement. I use the post office for such items in the Flat rate boxes. 

BTW, anyone can also ship bull excrement, a flat rate box will do.:lol:

12 minutes ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

BTW, anyone can also ship bull excrement, a flat rate box will do.:lol:

Heck, they don’t even need to ship it! There’s a couple dozen that use the SASS Wire to spread theirs!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3