SASS Wire Forum

Most trustable RV brand

I am about to start shopping for 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel. With all the horror stories about poor quality and lack of warranty repair at dealership I am interested in which brands to consider and which to avoid at all costs. Please let me know your thoughts. 

Buy an older used rv. They all have issues but used ones at least have most of the issues worked out. If it has a Floorplan that works for you and the bones are good you can update things like light fixtures and tv/radios.

Get new tires if the dot dates are not within the las 5 years and go up a load range.

Have you ever used an rv or trailer before? Are you handy at maintenance?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most 5th wheels are too heavy for a half ton pickup irregardless of what they say the tow rating is.  I've done it and while it was ok, it was far more work driving than having a 3/4 ton or a smaller travel trailer with a good floorplan.  The hitch weight usually pushes you over the load rating for a 1/2 ton once you add fuel, passengers, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Buy an older used rv. They all have issues but used ones at least have most of the issues worked out. If it has a Floorplan that works for you and the bones are good you can update things like light fixtures and tv/radios.

Get new tires if the dot dates are not within the las 5 years and go up a load range.

Have you ever used an rv or trailer before? Are you handy at maintenance?

Very minimal experience with rv trailers. I am decent as pulling trailers. As handy I can do alot as I was a mechanic in another time. I can handle small to medium level repair limited tools I have and if my old bones will cooperate. 

13 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Most 5th wheels are too heavy for a half ton pickup irregardless of what they say the tow rating is.  I've done it and while it was ok, it was far more work driving than having a 3/4 ton or a smaller travel trailer with a good floorplan.  The hitch weight usually pushes you over the load rating for a 1/2 ton once you add fuel, passengers, etc.

Pull rig will be my chevy 2500 hd duramax. With 3/4 ton truck it could pull alot more. I don't want to max trucks ability. I prefer weights that will be about 1/2 what my truck is rated for. The 5th wheel size I'm looking for will be on the small size. Since I will probably be only one using it I won't need alot, still a place sleep cook eat and place to shower.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this would work for you but my next travel trailer is going to be an Oliver. I have a Casita now and like it but would like something a bit bigger. My wife hates camping, always has and when we had our big diesel pusher she’d very rarely camp out, so I’d be the only occupant. One thing about having a small rig like the Casita or Oliver you don’t have to worry about people wanting to travel with you, there isn’t really room for another. I’ve done a lot of research into the Oliver trailers and they’re well built (in Tennessee) and the owners that I’ve talked to really like and endorse them.

IMG_5086.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Forest River Cherokee had 2 dozen issues with it and went over 3 years without a properly working fridge!! I've heard that Lancer's are pretty good, but no dealers around here.

Look for a good used one where the first owner already fixed everything. None of them in my opinion are actually like they should be for the cost. Good Luck in your search.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I don’t know if this would work for you but my next travel trailer is going to be an Oliver. I have a Casita now and like it but would like something a bit bigger. My wife hates camping, always has and when we had our big diesel pusher she’d very rarely camp out, so I’d be the only occupant. One thing about having a small rig like the Casita or Oliver you don’t have to worry about people wanting to travel with you, there isn’t really room for another. I’ve done a lot of research into the Oliver trailers and they’re well built (in Tennessee) and the owners that I’ve talked to really like and endorse them.

IMG_5086.jpeg

Good fiberglass unibody trailers like that are fun!

Perro if you can mechanic and do most household handyman stuff no reason a clean 10 year old trailer won't work for you. Either a bumper pull with a weight distribution hitch or a fifth wheel.

Grab some youtube time and learn a bit before you commit.

There are a couple rv services like VRBO  that let you borrow/ rent a trailer for the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be aware...the half ton towable fifth wheels have a lighter weight frame to cut the weight enough

• Thanks 1

Good luck.

But glad to hear you will be pulling with a 3/4 ton. 

Wife and I keep talking about a new camper. But so afraid of the new ones.

We just keep going in our old one that still looks pretty darn good.

Did upgrade the axle's, bearings and brakes. And also, the roof. So, it's really hard to give all

that up for what might be a ???????

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Pull rig will be my chevy 2500 hd duramax. With 3/4 ton truck it could pull alot more. I don't want to max trucks ability. I prefer weights that will be about 1/2 what my truck is rated for. The 5th wheel size I'm looking for will be on the small size. Since I will probably be only one using it I won't need alot, still a place sleep cook eat and place to shower.

We started with a 24' 5th wheel, went to a 30', and now have a 23' Travel Trailer made for couples.  It doesn't have a dinette but does have theater chairs instead.  Perfect for couples and a couple of dogs who are out and about most, if not all, day.  We are taking our motel room with us.

• Like 1

Grand Design I’ve always heard good things about.

Most of them are made next to each other or in the same factory in Indiana so it probably comes down to the floor plan.  

wherever you buy from make sure you can get service local as it gets really old driving your rig an hour away to get warranty work done and an hour back to pick it up.

id vote for a motorhome over a truck and fifth wheel if that’s an option.  Much easier to tow an 18 foot truck and a 36 foot trailer.  Having the ability to pull over anywhere or use the bathroom while driving, have dinner brought to you while you drive cant be beat.  

Good luck!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JD Lud said:

Grand Design I’ve always heard good things about.

Most of them are made next to each other or in the same factory in Indiana so it probably comes down to the floor plan.  

wherever you buy from make sure you can get service local as it gets really old driving your rig an hour away to get warranty work done and an hour back to pick it up.

id vote for a motorhome over a truck and fifth wheel if that’s an option.  Much easier to tow an 18 foot truck and a 36 foot trailer.  Having the ability to pull over anywhere or use the bathroom while driving, have dinner brought to you while you drive cant be beat.  

Good luck!  

Nah. Motorhome you make camp and decide to go someplace so you break camp and come back and reset camp.

Trailer show up unhook make camp and drive away in your truck.

• Like 2

I ended up getting an Northwood Mfg Arctic Fox as my first travel trailer.  Big on the list was dual pane windows and on-board generator. 

Northwood also makes the Nash trailers. 

My second choice would have been the Grand Design trailer.

When you go to look at any trailer go with your eyes open. I saw trim that wasn't secured, mis-drilled holes, saw dust, and other tell-tales of poor QC.

Good luck,

Barry Sloe 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Nah. Motorhome you make camp and decide to go someplace so you break camp and come back and reset camp.

Trailer show up unhook make camp and drive away in your truck.

Actually you tow a vehicle.  That is what you use once you are camped.  Works fantastic, I would never go back to a truck and trailer but that’s just me.

• Thanks 1

I would get a 3 or 4 horse trailer with a living quarters or a weekend package built into it.  They pull great, are all aluminum , built to haul heavy loads, very low maintenance, and give you the horse area for storage or to use as a "toy hauler".  You will pay a lot more for it, but will most likely be able to sell it for more than you paid 10 years later when you go to sell it.  If you haven't damaged the horse area too much you will have no problem selling it.  I have had two, kept them for about 10 years each, and sold both of them for more than I paid.  Took me about a week to sell each one.  And I actually used mine to haul horses, so the horse area was certainly not pristine.  Yours probably will be.

I would look at Hart, 4 Star, Elite, or Sundowner although there are quite a few others that are also high quality.  The dealers usually work well with the buyers to make them happy.  One unhappy owner in the horse world can hurt a trailer dealer a lot more than a RV dealer.  Just a smaller pool of buyers, and a close knit group that all talk and support each other.

Just something to consider that you may not have been aware of.  

• Like 1

Check out Escape Trailers, made in British Columbia, Canada.

https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/

image.png.fd7767bdff2d8898b6b7f303f8d9fb52.png

You order directly from Escape, no dealers. There are a number of custom options that can be added to the trailer.

I have a 2015 Escape 19. I am very pleased with the build quality. I had a custom built Truck Vault installed. My wife ordered the fabric that we wanted for the cushions and curtains. We also had lights and outlets (both 12v and ac) placed where we wanted as well as a few other custom details.

There is an Escape Trailer forum where owners comment on their trailers and discuss many options that buyers have included in their trailers.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/

Edited by Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Do not, do not buy from Caping World. Research dealers as much as makers.

Thanks. Camping world have several large dealerships near me as does fun town and McClain's's. 

5 hours ago, Wild Eagle said:

I would get a 3 or 4 horse trailer with a living quarters or a weekend package built into it.  They pull great, are all aluminum , built to haul heavy loads, very low maintenance, and give you the horse area for storage or to use as a "toy hauler".  You will pay a lot more for it, but will most likely be able to sell it for more than you paid 10 years later when you go to sell it.  If you haven't damaged the horse area too much you will have no problem selling it.  I have had two, kept them for about 10 years each, and sold both of them for more than I paid.  Took me about a week to sell each one.  And I actually used mine to haul horses, so the horse area was certainly not pristine.  Yours probably will be.

I would look at Hart, 4 Star, Elite, or Sundowner although there are quite a few others that are also high quality.  The dealers usually work well with the buyers to make them happy.  One unhappy owner in the horse world can hurt a trailer dealer a lot more than a RV dealer.  Just a smaller pool of buyers, and a close knit group that all talk and support each other.

Just something to consider that you may not have been aware of.  

Interesting idea. Not thought about that

The heavier campers are mostly aluminum frame too...but there is different size and thickness of tubing

Although motor homes may have their disadvantages:

[  ] Cost of Insurance
[  ] Engine upkeep/repairs
[  ] No vehicle to drive once camp is set up

They can easily be off-set by these advantages:

[  ] Go to the bathroom on the road (wife drives while you hit the head)
[  ] Cook meals while on the road or at a Rest Stop
[  ] On Board generator for power on demand
[  ] Can pull either a Cargo Trailer, Vehicle, Boat, etc.

Because they are self contained, consider when weather conditions cause your home to lose power for extended period of time, ie. Hurricane, as a Motor Home will provide everything you need, HVAC, water, electricity, etc., that a camper or 5th Wheel alone cannot provide without power.

We lived comfortably in our RV outside our house for 3 days while we were without power from Hurricane IRMA.

20170911_091559.thumb.jpg.8ede50a69d875ffc20eddbe1cb5bc585.jpg

20170911_091645.thumb.jpg.c25144a074212aa6c03a8fe77cc5f5dd.jpg

20170827_184810.thumb.jpg.a5c5bb1d8e070b48ae8d0879e84fec10.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I am about to start shopping for 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel. With all the horror stories about poor quality and lack of warranty repair at dealership I am interested in which brands to consider and which to avoid at all costs. Please let me know your thoughts. 

It would be suicide to try to pull any fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton truck.  Don't do it.  A semi floating axle is not suitable for anything other than isolated, occasional trailering. 

Also, I'm virtually certain that regardless of what they claim, if you weigh their "1/2 ton towable" 5th wheel when hitched to your truck, you will find you're overloaded.  Years ago I had a truck camper that was supposedly 1/2 ton capable.  It overloaded my 1 ton SRW truck with a weekend worth of stuff inside and the dog.  Don't believe a word they say.

All RVs are garbage in terms of build quality.  Unless you have a really great shop and a lot of money, be prepared to spend weekends caulking and inspecting your trailer.

15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get at least a 3/4 T truck with tow package. 

1/2T is a joke!

Most 3/4 ton trucks don't have sufficient payload for even a mid sized 5th wheel, either, especially older ones.  If I had to pull a 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton, I would probably not buy one that was over 30' long.

My best suggestion to the original poster is to buy a travel trailer.  5th wheels do have advantages, but all of that is negated if you don't have enough truck to deal with the pin weight.  Even the newer 3/4 tons with a 10k lb GVWR still only have ~2500 pounds of payload.  With two people in the cab and the hitch itself, that doesn't leave much remaining GVWR for pin weight. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, El Chapo said:

It would be suicide to try to pull any fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton truck.  Don't do it.  A semi floating axle is not suitable for anything other than isolated, occasional trailering. 

Also, I'm virtually certain that regardless of what they claim, if you weigh their "1/2 ton towable" 5th wheel when hitched to your truck, you will find you're overloaded.  Years ago I had a truck camper that was supposedly 1/2 ton capable.  It overloaded my 1 ton SRW truck with a weekend worth of stuff inside and the dog.  Don't believe a word they say.

All RVs are garbage in terms of build quality.  Unless you have a really great shop and a lot of money, be prepared to spend weekends caulking and inspecting your trailer.

Most 3/4 ton trucks don't have sufficient payload for even a mid sized 5th wheel, either, especially older ones.  If I had to pull a 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton, I would probably not buy one that was over 30' long.

My best suggestion to the original poster is to buy a travel trailer.  5th wheels do have advantages, but all of that is negated if you don't have enough truck to deal with the pin weight.  Even the newer 3/4 tons with a 10k lb GVWR still only have ~2500 pounds of payload.  With two people in the cab and the hitch itself, that doesn't leave much remaining GVWR for pin weight. 

Around the 30 ft is the size i want to look at. I might be spending extended time in it is why im looking at more than just a travel trailer. My truck is a diesel 3/4 ton chevy. I dont want to stress it any more than neccesary so the reason for lighter

16 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Although motor homes may have their disadvantages:

[  ] Cost of Insurance
[  ] Engine upkeep/repairs
[  ] No vehicle to drive once camp is set up

They can easily be off-set by these advantages:

[  ] Go to the bathroom on the road (wife drives while you hit the head)
[  ] Cook meals while on the road or at a Rest Stop
[  ] On Board generator for power on demand
[  ] Can pull either a Cargo Trailer, Vehicle, Boat, etc.

Because they are self contained, consider when weather conditions cause your home to lose power for extended period of time, ie. Hurricane, as a Motor Home will provide everything you need, HVAC, water, electricity, etc., that a camper or 5th Wheel alone cannot provide without power.

We lived comfortably in our RV outside our house for 3 days while we were without power from Hurricane IRMA.

20170911_091559.thumb.jpg.8ede50a69d875ffc20eddbe1cb5bc585.jpg

20170911_091645.thumb.jpg.c25144a074212aa6c03a8fe77cc5f5dd.jpg

20170827_184810.thumb.jpg.a5c5bb1d8e070b48ae8d0879e84fec10.jpg

That would be my choice.  

Park it and don't worry about it being somewhere you won't be.  Drive it like a car or small truck. Pull over to rest, etc., without worrying about finding a place to leave the trailer.  Have almost all you need right behind you and convenient.  Don't fret about getting the rig all hooked up when you're ready to leave and storing it when you get home.  Put a small motorcycle on the back for short trips, like to the store, if that suits you.  Add a roof rack for an awning or small storage on your trip.

14 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Be aware...the half ton towable fifth wheels have a lighter weight frame to cut the weight enough

THIS^^^^

To get the weight down manufacturers make the frames as light as possible. One way to do this is to reduce the thickness of the frame. There are lots of videos on the internet of people that have had their trailer frame crack and fail.

For Example

After learning all of this I decided that my next RV would be either an older Toy Hauler or a horse trailer with living quarters. A 5th wheel/Goose Neck with proper tires can be towed at interstate speeds with ease. Something that I will not do with a bumper pull 

I eventually wound up with a 35 ft 2004 Forest River Work/Play. Garage has it's own AC unit. I am currently adding shelving and a couple of wall mounted folding tables to the back.  Using the NSF style wire shelving as it is super sturdy and only needs to be attached to the way to keep it from tipping over. Modifications are a work in progress as we try different configurations. Currently I have dedicated storage for 3 hard side long gun cases, hat boxes, clothes rack, Folding chairs, Clothes, Boots, Gun Leather and more in the garage part. Also have one and soon two 48" fold up wall mounted tables.  I should point out that none of this is attached to the RV walls but instead to a separate 2X4 and 2X6 framework a previous owner added to the garage.

Because of all the rain at the SW Regional we moved our lawn chairs to the garage. It was 1000% more comfortable that sitting in the boot seats up front.

pic1.thumb.jpg.3875efcb810776747624b054cf07221a.jpg

By this fall I should have the garage layout like I want it.

I strongly suggest that you sign up to several of the RV forums and read what others have to say.  It was a real eye opener for me. Especially when it comes to post COVID RV construction they are all junk. Between the piss poor build quality and the poor reliability of the components used. I wouldn't own anything newer than a 2019.

• Like 1

Just now, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Keystone and Jayco are two of the most reliable brands. You'll need a one ton truck for Keystone trailers. The smallest Jayco, 29', could be done with a 3/4 ton truck. Why not a travel trailer?

That was true before COVID. Since Covid their quality took a nose dive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That was true before COVID. Since Covid their quality took a nose dive.

I can't speak to that.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I read a few articles and forum replies. and they all back up what you say... decreased quality. Dang, even a pig finds an acorn once in a while.

Edited by Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381
  • Like 1

Research who currently owns a particular brand.  Since COVID many reputable brands have been acquired by other brands. The first thing the new owners did was cut corners and quality went down hill fast.

Classic example is Grand Design.  They were a small RV manufacturer that built RVs of exceptional quality with really innovative features.  Because of Covid they sold out to  Winnebago Industries. 30 years ago Winnebago had an excellent reputation. Now their quality is so poor it should be outlawed.  I went to a few RV shows back in 2022 and was appalled at the shoddy construction. At first glance they look great but a closer inspection showed so many defects and obvious shortcuts that I gave up on downsizing and living in a RV full time.

• Like 1