SASS Wire Forum

I wonder if people are really that foolish

Alpo

They are in movies, but in real life?

In the movie The Three Amigos, they get a telegram asking them to come to Mexico because of the infamous El Guapo.

Two of them don't know the word, but the third one explains to the others that it means he is more than famous - he is IN famous. So they figure he is a great Mexican celebrity.

In the movie Ruggles of Red Gap, this prospector strikes it rich and his wife takes him to Europe to see if she can get him a little bit of culture. While there he teaches a member of the British aristocracy how to play poker. And when they are ready to come back home, the Brit does not have the money to pay his debts. So he gives the prospector his valet. Ruggles (Charles Laughton). The wife sends a telegram back home saying that they're coming back and they're bringing a gentleman's gentleman with them. Nobody at home has ever heard of a gentleman's gentleman but since a "man's man" is more of a man than a regular man, obviously a "gentleman's gentleman" is more of a gentleman than a regular gentleman. And by the time the couple have returned to their little hometown with their British butler, the townspeople have decided that not only is Ruggles an aristocrat, but he is undoubtedly a colonel in the Coldstream Guards.

This is a great movie, by the way. A really different Western.

But it just makes me wonder if there are people out there really dumb enough to think that that's what infamous means, or that's what a gentleman's gentleman is?

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

But it just makes me wonder if there are people out there really dumb enough to think that that's what infamous means, or that's what a gentleman's gentleman is?

Sure. The same people who think flouting is the same thing as flaunting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you’re a cowboy and you know which end of the barrel the bullet comes out does the rest really matter ?   ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Fixed it for ya.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Most of us here are well educated, but look how often lose and loose get mixed up. Not to mention there, their, and they're, break and brake, or advice and advise. 

gotta remember that sometimes the computers AI / spell check / or whatever changes what was trying to be said - i know my voice / text stuff comes up with interesting interpretations of the words i meant to use /said on my phone , and a fat finger typo can turn lose to loose real fast whey you type fast with one finger 

wont say i havent misused a word , i have and will do again , but flouting the law is one ive not heard yet , 

but "...repeatedly flaunted the law....." that one i have heard , 

Story goes that when Ripley opened his 'Believe it or Not' museum, he didn't want people to slow down his business by dawdling along to gawk at the exhibits, so he put up signs that said things like, 'Don't miss the egress!' and, 'This way to the egress!' Then when they walked through the door to see the egress, they were outside.

Re underestimating the public -- Fool 'em once, shame on you. Fool 'em twice, shame on them. Fool 'em three times means you probably got re-elected.

The 'flaunting the law' versus 'flouting the law' mix up is kind of in the same category as the 'could care less' versus 'couldn't care less' error. It's wrong, but has been used that way so often and so long that it's common use, and everyone knows what you mean when you say it. Maybe a while back, someone was flaunting their flouting of the law.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

The 'flaunting the law' versus 'flouting the law' mix up is kind of in the same category as the 'could care less' versus 'couldn't care less' error. It's wrong, but has been used that way so often and so long that it's common use, and everyone knows what you mean when you say it. 

Like “congradulations”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

flaunting the law' versus 'flouting the law' mix up is kind of in the same category as the 'could care less' versus 'couldn't care less' error. It's wrong, but has been used that way so often and so long that it's common use, and everyone knows what you mean when you say it.

About like magazine and clip.   Even in the 1980s there were advertisements that a rifle came with 2 clips.   Everyone knew that what was meant was "detachable box magazine," a magazine that "clipped" into the rifle.  

• Like 2

Sale & Sell get swapped a lot here! As in  "I'd like to sale my rifle".

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

In the movie The Three Amigos, they get a telegram asking them to come to Mexico because of the infamous El Guapo.

Two of them don't know the word, but the third one explains to the others that it means he is more than famous - he is IN famous. So they figure he is a great Mexican celebrity.

In the movie Ruggles of Red Gap, this prospector strikes it rich and his wife takes him to Europe to see if she can get him a little bit of culture. While there he teaches a member of the British aristocracy how to play poker. And when they are ready to come back home, the Brit does not have the money to pay his debts. So he gives the prospector his valet. Ruggles (Charles Laughton). The wife sends a telegram back home saying that they're coming back and they're bringing a gentleman's gentleman with them. Nobody at home has ever heard of a gentleman's gentleman but since a "man's man" is more of a man than a regular man, obviously a "gentleman's gentleman" is more of a gentleman than a regular gentleman. And by the time the couple have returned to their little hometown with their British butler, the townspeople have decided that not only is Ruggles an aristocrat, but he is undoubtedly a colonel in the Coldstream Guards.

Look at the results of the last dozen or more elections and then ask your question again. :o

• Haha 1

Foolish?

I would reference the thread on nose rings…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Foolish?

I would reference the thread on nose rings…

... that distant braying sound is me, laughing ... :D:D:D

... oh dear God, I'm wiping tears from my eyes! :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you, my friend, for whatever perverse reason, this one hit my funny bone and how! :P:D:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My favorite stupid person story is based upon someone who publicly stated in anger that they were going to sue us for, "defecation of character."  Perhaps before they ventured into the world of 4 syllable  words they needed to learn the difference between defecation and defamation.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

My favorite stupid person story is based upon someone who publicly stated in anger that they were going to sue us for, "defecation of character."  Perhaps before they ventured into the world of 4 syllable  words they needed to learn the difference between defecation and defamation.....

Yup.

My ex-wife misused self defecation when she meant self depredation once while she was lecturing me on some of her self aggrandized feminist nonsense. I couldn't stop laughing. And did my reaction make the situation better?

It did not.

:D

• Haha 4

On 3/29/2024 at 1:50 PM, Alpo said:

Yes there is. There are people out there that think AOC can come from being a bartender with $500 in her account to being a politician now worth over $25 million on a salary of $174k a year legally in just 4 years.

TM

• Thanks 3