SASS Wire Forum

XL 650 “old faithful” broke

Matthew Duncan

Reloading some 223 this morning when I got a double case feed.  How did that happen?  Shell plate didn’t index.  Why didn’t the shell plate index?  Further investigation revealed a half of a plastic ring laying at the bottom of the press.  Bummer.  What was an auto indexing press is now a manual indexing.  Fortunately I have 45 Colt reload for most if not all of this year’s SASS season.

Emailed Dillon of the situation requesting #13677 Ring Indexer.  I just love life time warranties.  I got mixed emotions IF I’ll need to shipped it back to Dillon.  I’ve got  the 650’s original shipping box, not looking forward to having tear the press down to ship it back.

Dillon website said up to three days for a reply.  Patience pilgrim.  Patience.

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

I’ve broke the same part twice. Replaced it the first time with no issue. After I broke the second one I haven’t yet replaced it. I like manually indexing it (like a 550). There is an aftermarket replacement that isn’t made out of plastic (not familiar with it). 

• Like 1

I keep an old single stage press on my loading bench for odd jobs like loading small lots of rifle ammo.  It serves as a backup for times when a part is on order for one of my Dillons.  The single stage press is slow but doesn't have a primer feed that can jam or an indexing mechanism that can break.  Still, I repair the Dillons as soon as I have time.  In my location Dillon repair parts arrive within three days of placing an order.

Every time I have called Dillon all I get back is “No problem, part/s is on the way”  They are worth the few extra bucks for their product and service. Things that are used all the time wear out or break. Sometimes a problem or accident happens but I know it will be made good.

• Like 5

I always keep an extra one of those on hand.

• Like 1

Yep, I've always called and parts were on the way. I did spring for a "Maintenance kit" so I can get back to loading and Dillon replaces the broken part,often a couple extras! Love em! And they don't seem to break often!

• Thanks 1

I called once to get a spare shell plate bolt because I read somewhere that they can break. They sent 6 a long with 3 primer return springs a few of the tips for the primer tube and the pick-up tubes. After 30 years, still haven't had to replace that shell plate bolt! Hope I didn't say that too loud!:P

• Haha 2

The most frustrating problem I have ever had with my 650 involved the ring indexer.  I was getting some cases that the primer was getting squashed going into the case or turning sideways and getting mashed into the primer pocket.  I fooled with the machine for hours trying to find the problem.  Took apart the machine to examine the parts above and below the tool head.  Everything looked OK.  Then when putting the ring indexer back on the ram I noticed it spread apart just a bit.  Turns out it had broken right where the thin part of the ring joins the ramped section.  It was opening and closing at random and was not visible just looking at the ring indexer.  You could only see the break when you pulled on the ring on either side of the break and it spread out.  Broke right where the red arrow is pointing.  Fortunately I always keep some spare parts on hand and Dillon is just down the road.

DSC_0005.thumb.jpeg.e005a05d12d6f3e758a2c7cc649d78bd.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leroy Luck said:

…There is an aftermarket replacement that isn’t made out of plastic (not familiar with it). 

Internet search found one that’s made out of aluminum.  Same search found several comments about how the Ring Indexer is designed as a “breakable link” to prevent major damage to other components.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Internet search found one that’s made out of aluminum.  Same search found several comments about how the Ring Indexer is designed as a “breakable link” to prevent major damage to other components.

The replacement I got from Dillon was made of a different material than to one I originally had and seems to be heavier. It’s a fairly easy fix especially if you use a piece of thread to attach the return spring. Also don’t use any spray lubricants on the press. 

Randy

Matthew,

Since you're going to have it apart, I'd like to suggest you spring for Roller Bearing for the Indexer Cam and the Hit Factor upgrade kit.  The Hit Factor kit makes a HUGE difference and improvement in the smoothness of the XL650.  Give it a serious look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Leroy Luck said:

I’ve broke the same part twice. Replaced it the first time with no issue. After I broke the second one I haven’t yet replaced it. I like manually indexing it (like a 550). There is an aftermarket replacement that isn’t made out of plastic (not familiar with it). 

You beat me to it. I love my 550 and I love indexing it myself.

• Like 4

Larsen's advise on having the spare parts kit is right on the money.  Having the spare parts ready to go have saved my bacon several times.  It seems like something always breaks while I'm loading for a big regional shoot and I need the part immediately. 

Edited by TN Mongo, SASS #61450
  • Like 3

Dillon's new 650 Ring Indexers are, sadly, not what the old ones were.  They appear to be made by 3D printing, and the material is very brittle.  My older ones were a fibrous plastic, like the one in your image.  The new ones break much more easily, even with a roller bearing cam,  so I've been buying them 4 at a time.  The warranty won't cover more than one at a time.

There is no need to ship the press to Dillon.  They come with full installation  instructions and they have a video online.  Easy peasy!

I found a couple after-market  aluminum indexers online, but one was a company in Slovania that I don't trust to give credit card info to. 

The other was a CNC machined one made in Washington State.  I ordered one, but I do have some reservations that Dillon may intend the indexer to be a sacrificial easily replaceable (weak link) part to prevent other major damage.  I think there will be risks using the aluminum one, so I'm still thinking on that before I install it.  The first rounds will be VERY light- handed.

My particular problem is that my wife shoots .32 H&R Mag in her revolvers, so it occasionally happens that with my ageing eyesight, a .32 case hides inside one of my .38s and when I deprime, the force bends the deprime pin and snaps the indexer.  

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Like 1

I replaced my indexer two years ago. I've gone through most of the parts in my parts kit and should order another. I miss being a short drive from their store.

Received an email from Dillion this morning advising warranty part is on its way to me.  Fantastic!

• Like 2

Took the USPS stage awhile to deliver the parts.  I said parts because Dillion added a Indexer Return Spring.

This morning I finally got around to fix Old Faithful.  Skinned thought the YouTube Larson E Pettifogger provided, hind-site I should have not skimmed.  I forgot about removing the Indexer Return Spring and Pawl Spring.  I learned about my mistake when reassembling.  Found the Indexer Return Spring stuck to a magnet on the workbench.  Didn’t need it because I used new one Dillion provided.  The Pawl Spring was a different matter.  Did it launch when the Indexer broke or this morning during disassembly?  Odds are I’ve already stepped on it, smashed flat and bent into a pretzel.  I’ll have to wait another week for that part…what’s that laying over there under the chair?  Bingo!  Found it and it’s in mint condition.  I’m back in business.

• Like 5

Dillon is great  over the years they have rebuilt 6 of my presses.

Best  Wishes