SASS Wire Forum

Cliche no longer accurate

Alpo

The one guy says, EVEN A BROKEN CLOCK IS RIGHT TWICE A DAY

And the other guy says, NOT ANYMORE. THEY'RE ALL DIGITAL. IT JUST GETS DIM

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

A man with a watch always know the time.

A man with more than one is never quite sure.

A sign in an old time horologist's shop.

He must have never run in to a broken watch!:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Today I learned what a horologist is. Never stop learning.

My dad was a horologist when I was little. Only his hobby wasn’t time pieces. :blink:

• Haha 3

This does not consider those clocks with a second hour hand.

One to point to local time.

The other to point to Zulu.

I'm sorry, UTC. 

Since everything is digital  I often wonder about the young SASS shooters when the targets are set in a circular fashion and the directions are: Shoot ten with rifle in a CLOCKWISE motion, then pistols in a CONTERCLOCKWISE motion! :P

Do they still teach hoe to read clocks in schools today!!

• Haha 1

No, no they don't. Our system wants to spend 10's of thousands to change our all the clocks. They don't even teach them to write anymore :angry:. If it isn't rainbow related it's not taught.:angry::ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The advantage to having an analog watch is that it can also be used as a compass.  Point the hour hand towards the sun, and halfway between the hour hand and 12 o'clock is plus or minus a couple of degrees straight south.  Try it, it works.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Since everything is digital  I often wonder about the young SASS shooters when the targets are set in a circular fashion and the directions are: Shoot ten with rifle in a CLOCKWISE motion, then pistols in a CONTERCLOCKWISE motion! :P

Do they still teach hoe to read clocks in schools today!!

You mean "deosil" and "widdershins?" ;)

29 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You mean "deosil" and "widdershins?" ;)

I guess???

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I guess???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunwise

"Sunwise, sunward or deasil (sometimes spelled deosil), are terms meaning to go clockwise or in the direction of the sun, as seen from the northern hemisphere. The opposite term is widdershins (Lowland Scots), or tuathal (Scottish Gaelic).[1]. In Scottish culture, this turning direction is also considered auspicious, while the converse is true for counter-clockwise motion"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"Sunwise, sunward or deasil (sometimes spelled deosil), are terms meaning to go clockwise or in the direction of the sun, as seen from the northern hemisphere. The opposite term is widdershins (Lowland Scots), or tuathal (Scottish Gaelic).[1]. In Scottish culture, this turning direction is also considered auspicious, while the converse is true for counter-clockwise motion"

Thanks but I’ll stick to clockwise and counterclockwise. :P

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks but I’ll stick to clockwise and counterclockwise. :P

Well! Just BE that way!    Here I am, SLAAAVING away to edumacate people and what do I get?  Ungrateful sarcasm!  Some people's children!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Haha 3

If I wanted to be edumacated I would have asked ya!! Thanks anyway :P:lol:

• Haha 1

According to Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke fame, it’s “clockerwise” and “contraryclockerwise”!!

• Haha 4

im on military time so mines only right once i guess , or less if i had zulu time it seems , but these days im living more in "indian time - whenever i get there" as a close friend that was an american indian once enlightened me on , im retired and often dont recall what day it is of the week , seldom what day it is in the month [unless i look] and yes i do have that fancy phone that does stuff mine will never get to do that tells me all of that every morning , i just check to see that its charged and my heart monitor is on ................unless i need to be somewhere of course , 

Edited by watab kid

Here in Sacramento, the horologists are frequently found lurking around around Stockton Blvd.
I assume they are there to study the working girls.

:P

Edited by bgavin
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Here in Sacramento, the horologists are frequently found lurking around around Stockton Blvd.
I assume they are there to study the working girls.

:P

I thought they hung out at 1315 10th Street.

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 2:00 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

But this is not the Scottish Action Shooting Society. Sure, kilts are legal, but not required.

But yes, clockwise is in the direction of the Sun's motion as viewed from the northern hemisphere. It is young Australians with no analog clock experience who are most likely to find this concept confusing.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

IMG_3483.jpeg

good point - im sure they guessed as they had no way to be certain then , i think we now use those very accurate scientific instruments that are not agreed to by "consensus" like the global climate change extortionists are using [so far all their predicted times have come and gone to naught] tell algore to go home and shut up , we dont want to hear it anymore , 

16 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

IMG_3483.jpeg

They went by the sun! Sun dials were around way before clocks!

10 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I could play Alpo so easy here :) Why 24 hours why 60 minute who set up the time with sun dials ? How do we know thats the true time ? 

Well they figured when the sun was at the top of the dial it was noon so they went from there? They guessed it was an hour for it to move to the next spot which would have been One O'clock maybe? I'm just guessing here.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

A sundial was, and still is, a clock. It shows the time based on some arbitrary method of deciding what time it is.

When the sun is straight up overhead, that's noon. No problem. But why, 60 minutes later, is it now one? Why not 75 minutes later, or 45? Who decided that the day should be divided into 24 sections and these 24 sections shall be divided into 60 sections and those 60 sections shall be divided into 60 other sections.

Since, as the metric users keep telling us, ten is such a much simpler way to do things, why don't we have a 20 hour day - 10 hours of day and 10 hours of night? And then the hour could be divided into 100 minutes. And the minutes into 100 seconds. So much easier to count. Who thinks in 12s and 60s?

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

A sundial was, and still is, a clock. It shows the time based on some arbitrary method of deciding what time it is.

When the sun is straight up overhead, that's noon. No problem. But why, 60 minutes later, is it now one? Why not 75 minutes later, or 45? Who decided that the day should be divided into 24 sections and these 24 sections shall be divided into 60 sections and those 60 sections shall be divided into 60 other sections.

Since, as the metric users keep telling us, ten is such a much simpler way to do things, why don't we have a 20 hour day - 10 hours of day and 10 hours of night? And then the hour could be divided into 100 minutes. And the minutes into 100 seconds. So much easier to count. Who thinks in 12s and 60s?

Why is it noon /12:00 ? who came up with Tapioca to make pudding ? :)

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I could play Alpo so easy here :) Why 24 hours why 60 minute who set up the time with sun dials ? How do we know thats the true time ? 

meme.celebrity.mark.zuckerberg.004.alien.georgio.sfw.jpg

Edited by bgavin
  • Haha 2